• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

otg

Smash Master
Brawl reminds me of Smash 64. They're both very strong and fun games that pale in comparison to Melee. Both also seem party-oriented and fun-oriented.
64 > Brawl, Easily. 64 might not be as great as Melee, but it's still fun as hell to play, unlike Brawl which is just slow, tedious and not very fun to watch. Compare a video of Isai ****** with Pikachu, vs. 2 top level Metaknights going at it. It's just not as exciting.

Amide

Smash Lord
Brawl reminds me of Smash 64. They're both very strong and fun games that pale in comparison to Melee. Both also seem party-oriented and fun-oriented.
Isn't that what videogames is about? Even in competition, Melee is still about fun.

But yeah, Brawl is party oriented.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I realize I dislike Brawl when I notice there's no real combos

I learned to love Brawl when I realize I was wrong and that Sheik the only character with real combos

Advantage : Sheik

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone was expecting Brawl to be just like Melee. Everyone has changed. Nothing is the same. Also, for all you whiners saying "theres no combs" or "where 's wavedashing" incase you did not know brawl just came out. Rome was not built in a day and milions of brawl techniques will not be found in just a few months. And for the one who started this relatively useless thread, don't assume everyone dislikes brawl. I enjoy it and all of my friends enjoyed it and we were all serious Melee players. What is the point of this thread?

Zodiac

Smash Master
I think everyone was expecting Brawl to be just like Melee. Everyone has changed. Nothing is the same. Also, for all you whiners saying "theres no combs" or "where 's wavedashing" incase you did not know brawl just came out. Rome was not built in a day and milions of brawl techniques will not be found in just a few months. And for the one who started this relatively useless thread, don't assume everyone dislikes brawl. I enjoy it and all of my friends enjoyed it and we were all serious Melee players. What is the point of this thread?
Dont start that **** again! and we were expecting brawl to be slower and different cause sakurai said it would be.. we didnt expect it to be "Super Party/Casual /lack of depth Brother Brawl!"

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Lol.

There are tons of useless threads in the Brawl General Discussion. You're just butthurt.

Brawl's metagame will not evolve anywhere. We've had it for like 4+ months now. We played Brawl with the mindset we gained from Melee and nothing useful or PRACTICAL, for that matter, has been discovered. Unless you say Chaingrabs and that Mortar Slide, which is also LOL.

I will say this now. If you play Brawl competitively, you're just a moron. Seriously. You'd get more fun out of playing Melee with practicing, getting better, playing others etc.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Lol.

There are tons of useless threads in the Brawl General Discussion. You're just butthurt.

Brawl's metagame will not evolve anywhere. We've had it for like 4+ months now. We played Brawl with the mindset we gained from Melee and nothing useful or PRACTICAL, for that matter, has been discovered. Unless you say Chaingrabs and that Mortar Slide, which is also LOL.

You just proved my point. "We played Brawl with the mindset we gained from Melee" I doubt You will get anywhere trying to Brawl with a Melee mindset.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
You just proved my point. "We played Brawl with the mindset we gained from Melee" I doubt You will get anywhere trying to Brawl with a Melee mindset.
No.

Please, if that doesn't help, then what will? You HONESTLY think something will happen with Brawl that will just ultimately make it superior over Melee? LOL, please. I'm sick of this meandering bull**** with Brawl.

With Melee in mind, we knew what we had to look for and NOTHING WORTHWHILE was found.

Brawl just sucks. End of story.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
When did I say Brawl would be superior to Melee? And what were you looking for exactly? Be specific.

Fletch

Smash Master
When did I say Brawl would be superior to Melee? And what were you looking for exactly? Be specific.
Any tech that would make Brawl worth playing. With the physics engine, lack of hit stun, and tripping, however, this looks very unlikely. The game was simply not made to be competitive, and it's likely nothing will be found to get around it.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
When did I say Brawl would be superior to Melee?
If this is not what you're striving for then why not play Melee? This point proves that Brawl IS inferior no matter where it will go.

And what were you looking for exactly? Be specific.
A quote from Mew2King from Scar's thread:

Mew2King: "you know the E for all demo had Crouch Canceling, Fast Falling to L-cancel moves, Dash Dancing, more hit stun, among other things that gimpyfish and dsf told me, but they decided to take it all away. Sakurai WENT OUT OF HIS WAY to make it not competitive, regardless of if melee being competitive was an accident or not, THE END RESULT is that brawl is way less skillbased of a fighter than melee is."

My case in point.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
And how much time have YOU, personally, spent looking for these "techs". Answer the Q before you respond with a witty comeback. This is for you too Kosuke.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Lol.

I will say this now. If you play Brawl competitively, you're just a moron. Seriously. You'd get more fun out of playing Melee with practicing, getting better, playing others etc.

QFT and thats that.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
And how much time have YOU, personally, spent looking for these "techs". Answer the Q before you respond with a witty comeback. This is for you too Kosuke.
A month of playing. Then I stopped. I've switched my mains all over the characters and I didn't find anything because Brawl has nothing to hope for.

I've went from Ike > Fox > Dedede > Mario > Link > Snake > Meta Knight > Falco; and I was displeased by everything.

Whether I spent the time looking for non-existent techniques or not would not change Brawl at all.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
For one thing I do still play Melee. Making my falco better than he is currently. I also play Brawl.

Dash Dancing is still in but harder to do. Because the gravity is lighter, I use the higher hit stun as a basis for my combos. Some characters need L-Canceling in Brawl, some don't. (e.g. Fox doesn't; Link does)

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
How do you know they are non exsistent, if you have only spent a month looking for them?

btw: I admit. There are things in Brawl I wish they had not done that make it inferior to Melee. But, If in your eyes I am a moron for liking brawl and trying to find useful techs, then a moron I am. Frankly your opinion is worth next to nothing when it comes to the world of gaming. It does however have an effect in this disscussion. I have no problem with you liking Melee and disliking Brawl. I know a few people who dislike Brawl. All I want to know is why you say Brawl is a piece of crap, and try to force your opinion on others.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Because there ARE NONE.

Dash Dancing is useless in Brawl. What, is going 2 inches back and forth useful to you? THERE IS LOWER HIT STUN IN BRAWL. THAT'S WHY THERE ARE BARELY ANY COMBOS.

otg

Smash Master
How do you know they are non exsistent, if you have only spent a month looking for them?
Think about it like this. When 64 -> melee came out, not many people were playing the game competitively. After years of MELEE'S SUCCESS, we now have Brawl and a fantastic tool called "Smash World Forum" in which thousands and thousands of very talented people have been looking day and night for some form of advanced tech. These are people who know what to look for and under what circumstances to push the game.

It's ignorant to say "You can't play Brawl like Melee, and you can't go in with that attitude" because:
A.) Brawl is part of the SMASH SERIES, which includes Smash 64 and MELEE.
B.) It is NOT a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT game. It plays very much like a slower, simpler version of Melee with a buffered shield and air dodge options, making camping rule and comboing non-existent/obsolete.
C.) Without all the work of the COMPETITIVE MELEE scene, this website wouldn't exist, and people wouldn't be Mad about how crappy Brawl is.

I played Brawl religiously from January - April and have stopped ever since after I went to a Crew Battle which took forever, was boring to watch and be a part of, and had so many noobs preaching about how "they fixed that in Brawl" that it dawned on me I was wasting my time.

At least in Melee, you had things that separated good players from bad which is necessary in ANY form of competition (wouldn't it be terrible if some nooby tennis player completely owned Pete Sampras after only a few days of playing?). Sakurai really went out of his way to make it obvious to us that this game isn't worth being played competitively yet people continue to attempt it.

Why? Because of the millions of Noobs like R.Y.N.O. who will contribute into the pot at tournaments, and the notion that since it's the sequel to a COMPETITIVE SERIES it should be equally as competitive worthy right? In the end, you like Brawl and we can't change your opinion, no matter how wrong/uninformed it may be. Go enjoy the game, and continue to live within the fallacy that someday it will be competitive worthy, in the meantime we'll be playing a MANS game.

Go back to the Brawl boards.

Edit: Oh and to clarify, L cancelling and wavedashing were known within a few months of Melee's release, and Z-Cancelling was known about in the 64 days. Some advanced techs are found within both Melee and 64 smash that were deliberately removed from Brawl. Why? People who play the game casually would never have to worry about them, and people who play competitively would have MORE to work with in terms of actually pushing the metagame, as opposed to the very little that is being worked with now.

Also R.Y.N.O. what have you contributed to Brawl's metagame or have looked into? Any luck finding anything? Have you posted one of those "AT's" only to have your thread locked within 15 minutes of it being opened?

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Dash Dancing was created for unpredictable movement. It creates an unpredictable standpoint.

I have created several combos. Although most of them in the heat of the moment. Melee consisted of combos based on repetitive movement. Their are no heat of the moment combos in Brawl.

Also, because of Brawl's slower gameplay, it allows for more strategic gameplay. Maybe thats one of the reasons I like it. Especially people like Snake who have lots of weapons and gagets that have to be strategically placed. Melee was nearly all being able to react in the blink of an eye.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Dash Dancing was created for unpredictable movement. It creates an unpredictable standpoint.

I have created several combos. Although most of them in the heat of the moment. Melee consisted of combos based on repetitive movement. Their are no heat of the moment combos in Brawl.

Also, because of Brawl's slower gameplay, it allows for more strategic gameplay. Maybe thats one of the reasons I like it. Especially people like Snake who have lots of weapons and gagets that have to be strategically placed. Melee was nearly all being able to react in the blink of an eye.
typicalbrawlarguments/10

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
First of all i've never been to a tournament. Try playing smash 64 JUST like Melee. That is if a N00B like you has it. I've seen people like you who think they have the right to judge games. Go on and dwell in the past as we look towards the future.

btw: What things separate good players from bad. In any general fighting game.

otg

Smash Master
HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Ugh ignorance. Most your "combos" probably don't actually work because even Top Level Brawl players acknowledge that there are NO REAL COMBOS in Brawl. You think that Melee combos are based on repetitive movement? THAN WTF IS BRAWL ABOUT. Each character has a certain amount of moves, so of course your going to become repetitive after awhile, it just so happens that certain moves are more valuable than others.

In Melee there is infinite room for combos and improvement because of the almost complete freedom of movement in that game. Too say it's too fast and repetitive is just nooby. Brawl's slower gameplay doesn't mean that there is more strategy! You have LESS options available to you at all times because it's slower and there are less ways to punish and react accordingly.

Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about. Go find someone who is actually good in Melee and play for a month, and than come back and say all these things.

Edit: Yeah I bet you've never been to a tournament, that explains a lot. You can't play 64 just like Melee, thats obvious, but Melee and Brawl are WAAYYYY more similar than the transition between 64 and Melee. Melee set the bar very very high, and Brawl is sadly Melee's ******** cousin.

Brawl might be the future, but it's not a future I'm interested in. See, typically things ADVANCE as we progress into the future. Brawl is a complete downgrade, so uh... yeah I guess I will have fun in the 'past' even though a majority of good players are still hosting Melee tournaments and everyday more people come back to these boards.

What separates good players from bad? Overall understanding of the game (applies to any game), in terms of smash: Advanced techniques. True AT's speed up movement and allow more options. L canceling gets rid of landing lag, and wavedashing opens up tons of ridiculous spacing options. Screw wavedashing, it was nice and we could've done without it. But getting rid of L canceling is inconceivable, it was in every smash game till Brawl.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
LOOK I either have to wrap this up or finish it tomorrow. As much as I would love to continue to badger you with questions (Which I have an arsenal of just for people like you) I really don't have the time.

You like Melee and think brawl is a piece of crap. OK it's fine that you think that. Just don't say that Brawl sucks because you think it does. ALL of my friends like brawl. Some like Melee better but don't say, "BRAWL SUCKS MELEE'S BETTER!!!" I might be able to fit in one more argument but that will probably be it for tonight. Since I'm using my sis' Macbook. ;) Sorry for calling you a N00B you are probably very good at melee and just don't like Brawl. Maybe Sakurai will make a new smash bros with elements from both Melee and Brawl. Then we can both enjoy it and their won't be any petty arguments.

debaser

Smash Lord
dude go away, you have no idea what you're talking about

please read the hundreds of other arguments like this that have already taken place

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I've played against several people online and my combos have worked. Against both people i've won against and people i've lost against. A combo is made up of consecutive hits. apparently my combos work. I have taken out hundreds of Brawlers on strategy ALONE. I COULD NOT DO THAT IN MELEE!!

otg

Smash Master
LOOK I either have to wrap this up or finish it tomorrow. As much as I would love to continue to badger you with questions (Which I have an arsenal of just for people like you) I really don't have the time.

You like Melee and think brawl is a piece of crap. OK it's fine that you think that. Just don't say that Brawl sucks because you think it does. ALL of my friends like brawl. Some like Melee better but don't say, "BRAWL SUCKS MELEE'S BETTER!!!" I might be able to fit in one more argument but that will probably be it for tonight. Since I'm using my sis' Macbook. ;) Sorry for calling you a N00B you are probably very good at melee and just don't like Brawl. Maybe Sakurai will make a new smash bros with elements from both Melee and Brawl. Then we can both enjoy it and their won't be any petty arguments.
We think Brawl sucks because as of right now (and most likely into the future) it lacks depth and is a huge boring campfest. Our claims aren't baseless, many of us wanted Brawl to be awesome and even gave it a long time to grow on us. You know why you and your friends like Brawl over Melee? Because it's easier and I'm sure you aren't that great at Melee. Most of your arguments are baseless and are the same thing we keep hearing from many other noobs who joined this site just as Brawl's release date was coming around.

Just do us a favor and keep your uneducated opinion to yourself. This thread is called "when did you realise you didn't like Brawl?" not "I like Brawl, you guyz are in the past, wavecheaters!"

I've played against several people online and my combos have worked. Against both people i've won against and people i've lost against. A combo is made up of consecutive hits. apparently my combos work. I have taken out hundreds of Brawlers on strategy ALONE. I COULD NOT DO THAT IN MELEE!!
Playing people online doesn't prove anything. There is input lag, as well as online lag and there are 1000's of other noob's just like you playing. If you have these unstoppable, strategy induced combos that have taken out hundreds of Brawlers than go to a legitimate tournament and prove it. In the mean time, go away.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
We think Brawl sucks because as of right now (and most likely into the future) it lacks depth and is a huge boring campfest. Our claims aren't baseless, many of us wanted Brawl to be awesome and even gave it a long time to grow on us. You know why you and your friends like Brawl over Melee? Because it's easier and I'm sure you aren't that great at Melee. Most of your arguments are baseless and are the same thing we keep hearing from many other noobs who joined this site just as Brawl's release date was coming around.

Just do us a favor and keep your uneducated opinion to yourself. This thread is called "when did you realise you didn't like Brawl?" not "I like Brawl, you guyz are in the past, wavecheaters!"

Playing people online doesn't prove anything. There is input lag, as well as online lag and there are 1000's of other noob's just like you playing. If you have these unstoppable, strategy induced combos that have taken out hundreds of Brawlers than go to a legitimate tournament and prove it. In the mean time, go away.
sry for trying to get along. I'm out. i see this thread is filled with nothing but sterotypical idiots who think that if someone likes brawl they are a n00b. hope i see you somewhere else on the boards. perhaps it will a more cooperative expirience.
But I have one more thing i would like to clear up. All I was going to say was "I like Melee more but Brawl is cool too." I cameinto this thread knowing there would be people like you stating your opinion as fact. be here. There are tons of people on the smash boards who like Brawl more than Melee. They are entitled to state their own opinion without having to worry about people like you calling them N00BS. I Severly dislike people like you who make fun of other people and state your opinion as fact. I played Melee competitively and love it. As Zodiac said It's like a Mansion that gets deeper or something along those lines. Just remember not to make fun of other people because they like something, you don't. I'm not angry at the one who created this thread. I'm angry at the people who make fun of others. I tried to make peace before but now I realize that is impossible.

Also when I said that Melee was "repetitive movement" i spoke out of turn. I was only thinking back to that one time when one of my friend kept using the same moves with Sheik (Melee). After I won he called me cheap for rolling and dodging and wavedashing out of all of his attacks. Needless to say, He likes brawl more. Sorry for the ramble but what I am saying is that there will be no peace and one of Zodiac's worries will com to life. Melee players think Brawlers are N00BS. Brawlers think Melee Players hate Brawl. Then there are people like me who are right in the middle and try to defend both sides.

Sorry if I made you angry and upset while trying to explain myself.

sry spelling is off writing quickly.

Zodiac

Smash Master
R.Y.N.O., Everyhting that has been said within the last few pages by OTG are correct, he knows as well as any of us who gave brawl a chance, Frankly we're just sick of explaining it over and over again to everyone who comes in here telling us we're haters and that we're wrong, and we get pretty upset and annoyed in the process I see in your explanation you were just trying to defend the peoples opinion and I don't mind that at all, but it came across wrong and thats why the debate we just had happened.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about that. Yes, it can get VERY tedious explaining yourself over and over again. It's like speaking with a three year old. I misunderstood what he was saying and took it as though he was bashing others BECAUSE they like Brawl. I realize i was mistaken. Thanks for understanding where I was coming from. I hope otg and the rest of them see it the same way you did. :)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Think about it like this. When 64 -> melee came out, not many people were playing the game competitively. After years of MELEE'S SUCCESS, we now have Brawl and a fantastic tool called "Smash World Forum" in which thousands and thousands of very talented people have been looking day and night for some form of advanced tech. These are people who know what to look for and under what circumstances to push the game.

It's ignorant to say "You can't play Brawl like Melee, and you can't go in with that attitude" because:
A.) Brawl is part of the SMASH SERIES, which includes Smash 64 and MELEE.
B.) It is NOT a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT game. It plays very much like a slower, simpler version of Melee with a buffered shield and air dodge options, making camping rule and comboing non-existent/obsolete.
C.) Without all the work of the COMPETITIVE MELEE scene, this website wouldn't exist, and people wouldn't be Mad about how crappy Brawl is.

I played Brawl religiously from January - April and have stopped ever since after I went to a Crew Battle which took forever, was boring to watch and be a part of, and had so many noobs preaching about how "they fixed that in Brawl" that it dawned on me I was wasting my time.

At least in Melee, you had things that separated good players from bad which is necessary in ANY form of competition (wouldn't it be terrible if some nooby tennis player completely owned Pete Sampras after only a few days of playing?). Sakurai really went out of his way to make it obvious to us that this game isn't worth being played competitively yet people continue to attempt it.

Why? Because of the millions of Noobs like R.Y.N.O. who will contribute into the pot at tournaments, and the notion that since it's the sequel to a COMPETITIVE SERIES it should be equally as competitive worthy right? In the end, you like Brawl and we can't change your opinion, no matter how wrong/uninformed it may be. Go enjoy the game, and continue to live within the fallacy that someday it will be competitive worthy, in the meantime we'll be playing a MANS game.

Go back to the Brawl boards.

Edit: Oh and to clarify, L cancelling and wavedashing were known within a few months of Melee's release, and Z-Cancelling was known about in the 64 days. Some advanced techs are found within both Melee and 64 smash that were deliberately removed from Brawl. Why? People who play the game casually would never have to worry about them, and people who play competitively would have MORE to work with in terms of actually pushing the metagame, as opposed to the very little that is being worked with now.

Also R.Y.N.O. what have you contributed to Brawl's metagame or have looked into? Any luck finding anything? Have you posted one of those "AT's" only to have your thread locked within 15 minutes of it being opened?
This guy verbally destroyed R.Y.N.O soul and being with facts and ownage.

HOW DO YOU KNOW?

I pretty much know you haven't made up any new USEFUL combos in melee if thats what you were talking about, if you have please name some and what you did... but if you were talking about brawl then you said 'Although most of them in the heat of the moment.' then 'Their are no heat of the moment combos in Brawl.'
Which makes you a hypocrite.

LOOK I either have to wrap this up or finish it tomorrow. As much as I would love to continue to badger you with questions (Which I have an arsenal of just for people like you) I really don't have the time. Kinda sad if you plan out your questions against people.

You like Melee and think brawl is a piece of crap. OK it's fine that you think that. Just don't say that Brawl sucks because you think it does.Brawl sucks because I think it does, and it lacks depth.... slow..... boring..... and all that other rubbish stuff about it ALL of my friends like brawl. Thats cos they suck, worst then you I'm guessingSome like Melee better but don't say, "BRAWL SUCKS MELEE'S BETTER!!!" Well they could say that if they wanted to as its their opinion and it wouldn't mean they are trying to force their opinion on anyonelse I might be able to fit in one more argument but that will probably be it for tonight.Seems like you don't have a life. Since I'm using my sis' Macbook. ;) Is she hot.Sorry for calling you a N00B you are probably very good at melee and just don't like Brawl. Maybe Sakurai will make a new smash bros with elements from both Melee and Brawl. Then we can both enjoy it and their won't be any petty arguments.
Awnsers in red in your quote ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom