• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_R

Smash Champion
i played it at pound 3 in our hotel room cuz we got it early. ummm played maybe about 10 matches and then played melee so that **** didn't mess me up then went to bed.
so ya i didn't like it like as soon as it was possible to judge it. rofl

Scar

#HarveyDent
lawl @ brawl.

My first match playing Ganondorf, I realized he was a terrible awful horrible character. Finally I hit someone with a dair, but the hitstun from that move was lower than the landing animation. I got hit while I was still winding down from the dair.

At that moment, I realized that Brawl was not an appropriate game for me to compete in.

Levi5

Smash Ace
I hated brawl the first time I played it. ****ing sse gave me a migraine, then I tried 1v1 later that day and almost puked

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I just started playing Melee again yesterday, and that's when I realized how much Brawl babies you. Thanks to Brawl, my Melee Falcon looked like a bumbling idiot. Luckily, it was easy to get back into my previously almost decent form.

I still enjoy Brawl, and I'll continue to play it. I'm just going to stop neglecting Melee.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Like, two days after playing it, I played Melee again and it was like, unplayable for a while. I realized how bad Brawl was.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
What's with all of this Brawl hatred? The worst thing about his game is the fact that Solid Snake is involved but besides that I see no errors.
People who prefer Melee post here. It's not that they hate the game, it's that they like Melee better.

I didn't like Brawl when I found out Bowser Jr. wasn't in it. That's before I even played it. What also sucks is that you can hit someone with a smash, and they can airdodge not even a second later. No hitstun=bad.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
What's with all of this Brawl hatred? The worst thing about his game is the fact that Solid Snake is involved but besides that I see no errors.
Are you serious about you not seeing the errors in brawl. You obviously havent played melee seriously if you made this comment, I will give you the basic reasons why people do not like brawl is expand your knowledge on this dear beautiful subject.
Brawl is slow
Brawl has a MASSIVE lack of combos in it due to lack of hitsun. Most of the time a combo is like 3 hits
Brawl has no tatics in it which seperates good people from bad people.
I hope you now realize the basic errors we see in brawl. Luv u X x X x X
P.S Please try not to be a typical 08'er with your comments please, try to get more knowledge on the subject and see why we dont like it.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Are you serious about you not seeing the errors in brawl. You obviously havent played melee seriously if you made this comment, I will give you the basic reasons why people do not like brawl is expand your knowledge on this dear beautiful subject.
Brawl is slow
Brawl has a MASSIVE lack of combos in it due to lack of hitsun. Most of the time a combo is like 3 hits
Brawl has no tatics in it which seperates good people from bad people.
I hope you now realize the basic errors we see in brawl. Luv u X x X x X
P.S Please try not to be a typical 08'er with your comments please, try to get more knowledge on the subject and see why we dont like it.
The reason I said something about Solid Snake was because he doesn't really fit in with the Brawl universe. Honestly, does Solid Snake even look like someone who should be involved in smash bros? I don't know maybe I just hate snake alot because of his cheapness.

Brawl does have tactics and you can really tell if someone is skilled against someone whose only been playing for 10 minutes.

The whole speed reduction thing I can admit was a bit of a let down but that's something that you get used to over time hopefully.

Another issue that should be noted about Brawl is the online play which is another major letdown. You can be the greatest player in the world but playing in lag is not cool and I don't think anyone can argue against that.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The reason I said something about Solid Snake was because he doesn't really fit in with the Brawl universe. Honestly, does Solid Snake even look like someone who should be involved in smash bros? I don't know maybe I just hate snake alot because of his cheapness.

Brawl does have tactics and you can really tell if someone is skilled against someone whose only been playing for 10 minutes.
Who cares about the characters?

How does dinosaurs fighting birds with guns fit a theme?

How do ninjas and plumbers come into the picture?

The game's theme is Nintendo characters I believe someone said that snake USED to be in Nintendo can't say for sure.

Anyway what I really don't know is that comment of brawl tactics showing a separation between good and bad players.

Throwing items isn't hard. Holding the L button isn't hard. Letting go of the L button and doing an attack after it isn't hard. NOTHING IN THIS GAME IS THAT HARD.

Skill wise there isn't too many ways to show the distinction between good/bad players.

The only way to tell is through how intelligent your moves seem to be.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Who cares about the characters?

How does dinosaurs fighting birds with guns fit a theme?

How do ninjas and plumbers come into the picture?

The game's theme is Nintendo characters I believe someone said that snake USED to be in Nintendo can't say for sure.

Anyway what I really don't know is that comment of brawl tactics showing a separation between good and bad players.

Throwing items isn't hard. Holding the L button isn't hard. Letting go of the L button and doing an attack after it isn't hard. NOTHING IN THIS GAME IS THAT HARD.

Skill wise there isn't too many ways to show the distinction between good/bad players.

The only way to tell is through how intelligent your moves seem to be.

Trust me, you can tell the difference in skill level in Brawl. The whole fighting with items thing is trivial. When I fight serious I don't use items. Being a smart player is important whether you're playing Melee or even the 64 version.

My thing is that Solid Snake doesn't really fit in with the Brawl universe. Leon from Resident Evil 4 may have been a better choice. Plus you have to admit that Snake is kinda cheap.

A great example of skill would be using ROB. Many people don't know how to angle their laser shots with ROB or use the Robo Burner to increase their time in the air. Of course since I main him I know how to do these things no problem. Somebody else on the other hand may not.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Trust me, you can tell the difference in skill level in Brawl. The whole fighting with items thing is trivial. When I fight serious I don't use items. Being a smart player is important whether you're playing Melee or even the 64 version.

My thing is that Solid Snake doesn't really fit in with the Brawl universe. Leon from Resident Evil 4 may have been a better choice. Plus you have to admit that Snake is kinda cheap.

A great example of skill would be using ROB. Many people don't know how to angle their laser shots with ROB or use the Robo Burner to increase their time in the air. Of course since I main him I know how to do these things no problem. Somebody else on the other hand may not.
When I said items I meant.. turnips, grenades, you know... projectiles.....

Being smart does play a role. But its the ONLY role. Maybe dying of camping boredom is another role. I played in a tourney after playing brawl for maybe 3 weeks and beat players who played this game competitive for months.

Apparently skill is practically non-existant for this game.

I don't care about snake he is a great character in brawl but he isn't like MK gay.

So they don't know ROB's tactics yet... so? It'll take them what? 1 hour to learn them?

Remember I played brawl for about 3 weeks - 1 month and I can play about 10+ characters at least decently.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
That's the main issue I have with Brawl. Snake's up kick has way too much priority. Then again Melee had issues with character balancing. Particularly Sheik and that Godhand?

That hand has caused many upsets.

But my point is that Solid Snake is cheap and that's the main issue with Brawl. I don't really care about wavedashing because if you're good enough you don't have to rely on it like alot of people I know.

Brawl is a good game and at the end of the day people just have to accept Brawl for what it is.

I think the phrase "Out with the old in with new" can apply to this whole Melee vs. Brawl thing.

But one thing that I honestly hate about Brawl is the fact that the online play severly blows chunks.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sheik isn't nearly as broken as you think she is in melee.

Anyway I don't care about brawl and its pros and cons.

Also this isn't a brawl vs melee debate thats old and no one cares anymore.

People who like brawl should just play brawl and not care what others have to say about it.

Its not like the brawl community is in danger of losing members.

We all just happened to like melee more. None of us stated we hated brawl at least I don't think anyone did.

rhan

Smash Hero
Purple Mantis said:
What's with all of this Brawl hatred? The worst thing about this game is the fact that Solid Snake is involved but besides that I see no errors.
You're wrong my good sir. Sonic was an error as well. Along with the simple game of "Tag" that some people call "Brawling".

LMAO @ tags.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Purple Mantis, how the hell could you not love Solid Snake/Big Boss?

Go play the Metal Gear Solid series and say that again with a straight face.
---
I realized I didn't like Brawl after seeing the monotony of the way the game played about a month in... >_> The experimentation and all was worthless.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Purple Mantis, how the hell could you not love Solid Snake/Big Boss?

Go play the Metal Gear Solid series and say that again with a straight face.
---
I realized I didn't like Brawl after seeing the monotony of the way the game played about a month in... >_> The experimentation and all was worthless.

I've tried to play Snake Eater but it just didn't work out. Splinter Cell is more my thing.

If only they put in Sam instead of Snake.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you can hardly call that skill. I have not played as ROB a single time in a VS match, and guess what? It'll probably take me all of 15 minutes to learn his Burner stuff or how to angle his shot.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
No1 here is saying Mantis that brawl doesnt take any intellegence to play, we are stating how hard it to obviously point out the difference level skill as it is in brawl and the game is **** lol.

Mihawk

Smash Rookie
Well today i've seen a discussion , a very good player lost against a noob >.> when my wii is repaired i want to verify >.>

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
This is just my opinion (and I just noticed one of the tags) but it sounds like the Melee veterens are whining about the stuff they can't do in Brawl. Maybe this happened back in 2001 when Melee came out and the 64 veterans may have complained I don't know. Look at it this way, would anybody have wanted the EXACT same game with just more characters with EXACT fighting speed and everything else that made Melee da ****? Well guess what things change deal with it.

Don't get me wrong I love Melee but Brawl offers more things. Playing with ROB is problably the most unique thing in smash bros history. His recovery and his laser offer so much. As far as skills go that comes natural with playing the game. I don't think anyone on this site could take on PC Chris when they very first started playing Melee were they. Over time you learned things about Melee and you saw other people play and you took notes. Techniques such as wavedashing, mindgames, dashdancing, etc became popular.

Its the exact same thing with Brawl. The game hasn't even been out a year yet and people are already comparing it to Melee and saying what it lacks. Over time the same thing is going to happen with Melee as it did with Brawl. So the game is not an epic fail compared to brawl and people shouldn't say they don't like it because it doesn't offer something that Melee did.

Solid Snake is still lame though.

otg

Smash Master
Mantis, you are listing the same argument that every other 08er has thrown at us before. What you misunderstand is a lot of Anti-Brawl people wanted Brawl to be good and it didn't meet our standards. Yes I was expecting a different game than Melee, and from the E4 All Demo back in October(/november? I dont remember) we knew that many things from Melee were gone. I gave it a chance regardless, but after 5 months straight I was bored, while after 4+ years of Melee I still feel like there are things worth pursing and learning.

The fact is the game mechanics in Brawl (floatiness, lack of hit stun, lack of combos, etc etc) don't make it worth pursuing in my opinion. You are also misinformed in that I doubt many people were crying about the transition from 64 -> Melee. A competitive smash scene didn't exist, and it started and evolved through Melee. People are more upset now because the Brawl physics engine has limited what was possible in 64 and Melee, and you say "things change get used to it!" but who says I have to?

I have no problem with change, but we have a fantastic established fighting game that people gave up on for a downgraded, flashier looking, campfest of a sequel. We didn't want "the exact same game with more characters, and speed etc", but what we did want was a tolerable game that didn't promote camping and EVOLVED upon Melee, not make it simpler and more shallow (unless that's your idea of evolution). Seriously, go compare Brawl to the other fighting games at MLG and EVO, it looks like a freaking joke.

I'm really trying not to be bitter, but people are entitled to there own opinions and if you like Brawl so much stay out of the Melee boards. If you are willing to invest time and actually try to get good at this game than you are welcome, and I GUARANTEE you will appreciate it more than Brawl.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I've tried to play Snake Eater but it just didn't work out. Splinter Cell is more my thing.

If only they put in Sam instead of Snake.
lmfao, Snake could pwn that sorry Sam Fisher ****er anytime of the day, sorry. :/

@ otg: I wish I had the perseverance to keep making good posts against ignorant Brawl players. Good stuff. It gets so tiring. ~_~

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This is just my opinion (and I just noticed one of the tags) but it sounds like the Melee veterens are whining about the stuff they can't do in Brawl. Maybe this happened back in 2001 when Melee came out and the 64 veterans may have complained I don't know. Look at it this way, would anybody have wanted the EXACT same game with just more characters with EXACT fighting speed and everything else that made Melee da ****? Well guess what things change deal with it.

Don't get me wrong I love Melee but Brawl offers more things. Playing with ROB is problably the most unique thing in smash bros history. His recovery and his laser offer so much. As far as skills go that comes natural with playing the game. I don't think anyone on this site could take on PC Chris when they very first started playing Melee were they. Over time you learned things about Melee and you saw other people play and you took notes. Techniques such as wavedashing, mindgames, dashdancing, etc became popular.

Its the exact same thing with Brawl. The game hasn't even been out a year yet and people are already comparing it to Melee and saying what it lacks. Over time the same thing is going to happen with Melee as it did with Brawl. So the game is not an epic fail compared to brawl and people shouldn't say they don't like it because it doesn't offer something that Melee did.

They arent whining because the AT have gone, they are dissapointed in the game and how it has become a party game and not a competitive game, have fun playing your party game. No we didn't want the EXACT same game, but we didnt want a COMPLETE different game, and before you say yes it is a complete different game but maybe it isnt for you because your melee game wasnt that advanced. We are dealing with it, why are you still here, we are not asking for brawl to change, we are dealing with it by not playing it and playing melee looool your seem pretty slow on learning these basic things. Can you explain to me how brawl offers more things, I dont get it? LOOOOOL AT PLAYING WITH ROB IS THE MOST ADVANCED THING IN SMASH HISTORY. You try to play melee's fox to its FULL ability and tell me that ROB is more advanced then fox, you wouldnt be able to do half the things. loool Ok, I see your a typical 08'er, you keep clinging onto the idea that brawl is gonna come out with a technique, but just remember the smash community is massive now, alot bigger then when melee came out first and melee made it big so now that there is a lot of people playing it and having a big knowledge about the game any IMPORTANT advanced technique which can seperate pros from noobs would have been found out by now, but you keep clinging onto the idea one will be released, its good for the soul.
Lemme give you a few techniques in melee which are not in brawl and you still tell me that tactics are going to be made up to make it more/near as advanced as melee is.
Shai Dropping
Shield Pivots
Wavedashing
L-Cancelling
Wavelanding
Moonwalking
and thats only a few....... brawl will never be NEAR as advanced as melee. Some of us find it boring, so we dont play it. Why are you trying to convince us its a decent game when are decision is made up?

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Mantis, you are listing the same argument that every other 08er has thrown at us before. What you misunderstand is a lot of Anti-Brawl people wanted Brawl to be good and it didn't meet our standards. Yes I was expecting a different game than Melee, and from the E4 All Demo back in October(/november? I dont remember) we knew that many things from Melee were gone. I gave it a chance regardless, but after 5 months straight I was bored, while after 4+ years of Melee I still feel like there are things worth pursing and learning.

The fact is the game mechanics in Brawl (floatiness, lack of hit stun, lack of combos, etc etc) don't make it worth pursuing in my opinion. You are also misinformed in that I doubt many people were crying about the transition from 64 -> Melee. A competitive smash scene didn't exist, and it started and evolved through Melee. People are more upset now because the Brawl physics engine has limited what was possible in 64 and Melee, and you say "things change get used to it!" but who says I have to?

I have no problem with change, but we have a fantastic established fighting game that people gave up on for a downgraded, flashier looking, campfest of a sequel. We didn't want "the exact same game with more characters, and speed etc", but what we did want was a tolerable game that didn't promote camping and EVOLVED upon Melee, not make it simpler and more shallow (unless that's your idea of evolution). Seriously, go compare Brawl to the other fighting games at MLG and EVO, it looks like a freaking joke.

I'm really trying not to be bitter, but people are entitled to there own opinions and if you like Brawl so much stay out of the Melee boards. If you are willing to invest time and actually try to get good at this game than you are welcome, and I GUARANTEE you will appreciate it more than Brawl.

I never said I didn't appreciate Melee. Trust me there were tournaments for the 64 game because I've witnessed them. Even though you say its "limited" how about you try learning new things? Does hurt to try something new?

Me personally I don't camp and don't believe in it. If Brawl was such a joke then why would MLG and EVO consider having it? If that's the case then games like Street Fighter are a joke compared to games like Tekken and Soul Calibur because Street Fighter is 2d even though Street Fighter is featured in EVO alot.

I like Brawl and I like Melee but people are just giving up on Brawl just because they can't do what they used to do for years in Melee. The game hasn't even been out for a year and there is unnecessary hostility towards it from Melee vets who can't do what they feel comfortable doing. They haven't even dug deep into the game they've already given up. My point is that even though Brawl is different from Melee people should just learn to accept the difference and be good enough to play both. Adaption is necessary for victory.

Can you adapt?

battousai555

Smash Ace
If Brawl was such a joke then why would MLG and EVO consider having it? If that's the case then games like Street Fighter are a joke compared to games like Tekken and Soul Calibur because Street Fighter is 2d even though Street Fighter is featured in EVO alot.
Read this aloud and try to make sense of it. I dare you.

My point is that even though Brawl is different from Melee people should just learn to accept the difference and be good enough to play both. Adaption is necessary for victory.

Can you adapt?
I think that any competitive Melee player is quite capable of adapting and becoming good at Brawl. I think the real question is "Why waste your time becoming good at a game that clearly lacks more depth?"

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Tonight. I'm sick of being chaingrabbed, I'm sick of fighting insanely broken Snakes, I'm sick of the fact that it takes almost no skill to play this game, I'm sick of tripping.

Why did he try to make this game non-competitive? Why didn't he notice how insanely broken Snake is? Why didn't he notice all these chaingrabs in the play testing? Why did he make it slower? Why did he put in tripping?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Tonight. I'm sick of being chaingrabbed, I'm sick of fighting insanely broken Snakes, I'm sick of the fact that it takes almost no skill to play this game, I'm sick of tripping.

Why did he try to make this game non-competitive? Why didn't he notice how insanely broken Snake is? Why didn't he notice all these chaingrabs in the play testing? Why did he make it slower? Why did he put in tripping?
I think Sakurai had a part of his brain removed between 2001 and 2008. The part that recognizes the difference between competitive and non-competitive games.

Fletch

Smash Master

He wouldn't even be the most unique character in Brawl, and no characters in Brawl can even really shake a stick at Melee's characters. Play a playing a high-level Fox, Falco, or even Yoshi in Melee, let me know if you still think ROB is so unique and special.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I like Brawl and I like Melee but people are just giving up on Brawl just because they can't do what they used to do for years in Melee. The game hasn't even been out for a year and there is unnecessary hostility towards it from Melee vets who can't do what they feel comfortable doing. They haven't even dug deep into the game they've already given up. My point is that even though Brawl is different from Melee people should just learn to accept the difference and be good enough to play both. Adaption is necessary for victory.

Can you adapt?
Why are you trying to force us to play brawl and adapt to brawl when it boring, its not a game with exciting combos, can you please post a brawl match which is interesting and has a few combos in, if we really liked it we would play it but we are not going to keep on playing just to see if we can adapt to its play style. So go away unless you gain some intelligence and put good and not dumb inputs to the subject. Bottom line is we want to have fun and fun is where melee is at for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom