• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Why are you trying to force us to play brawl and adapt to brawl when it boring, its not a game with exciting combos, can you please post a brawl match which is interesting and has a few combos in, if we really liked it we would play it but we are not going to keep on playing just to see if we can adapt to its play style. So go away unless you gain some intelligence and put good and not dumb inputs to the subject. Bottom line is we want to have fun and fun is where melee is at for us.

Me post a match? Check youtube for combo videos. I don't have any videos up but youtube is full of them.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Read this aloud and try to make sense of it. I dare you.

I think that any competitive Melee player is quite capable of adapting and becoming good at Brawl. I think the real question is "Why waste your time becoming good at a game that clearly lacks more depth?"
The game hasn't even been out for a year yet. What depth is there to discover yet? Melee has been out since 2001. Basically everybody on this site studied that game like it was a final exam. We played the game for more than half of a decade. Brawl hasn't even been out for a pregnancy (by that I mean 9 months) and already you say it has no depth? All I'm saying is that you need to give it more time instead of treating it like Melee so fast and that the game involves skill.

but Solid Snake is still lame.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I realized I hated brawl when everyone else started hating brawl, forcing me to hate it or else I'll get dumped down with it. Other then that, I love brawl.

edit: Oh snap this is my new sig

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
As soon as these "ATs" came abound, not to mention people play jokes with them. Man, I can't really take them seriously no more. I rather just play "normal" half the times. Melee ATs must have been more interesting when they were discovered.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
The game hasn't even been out for a year yet. What depth is there to discover yet? Melee has been out since 2001. Basically everybody on this site studied that game like it was a final exam. We played the game for more than half of a decade. Brawl hasn't even been out for a pregnancy (by that I mean 9 months) and already you say it has no depth? All I'm saying is that you need to give it more time instead of treating it like Melee so fast and that the game involves skill.

Melee's major ATs were discovered within this timeframe.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

And people haven't been studying Brawl like it's a final exam? Unless everyone here is a ******* almost everything about Brawl has been discovered. Sakurai went out of his way to make sure there's nothin "secret" about the game that isn't official. People act like you need years and years before you figure out if you like a game or not or if a game is deeper than you realize. There's nothin more to learn about the game all ats have been pretty much discovered and if not it's probably just another character specific at that further imbalances the game.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
And people haven't been studying Brawl like it's a final exam? Unless everyone here is a ******* almost everything about Brawl has been discovered. Sakurai went out of his way to make sure there's nothin "secret" about the game that isn't official. People act like you need years and years before you figure out if you like a game or not or if a game is deeper than you realize. There's nothin more to learn about the game all ats have been pretty much discovered and if not it's probably just another character specific at that further imbalances the game.

Nobody knew about mortar sliding or ROB's down cancel. Their is alot of stuff this game has to offer.

otg

Smash Master
I never said I didn't appreciate Melee. Trust me there were tournaments for the 64 game because I've witnessed them. Even though you say its "limited" how about you try learning new things? Does hurt to try something new?

Me personally I don't camp and don't believe in it. If Brawl was such a joke then why would MLG and EVO consider having it? If that's the case then games like Street Fighter are a joke compared to games like Tekken and Soul Calibur because Street Fighter is 2d even though Street Fighter is featured in EVO alot.

I like Brawl and I like Melee but people are just giving up on Brawl just because they can't do what they used to do for years in Melee. The game hasn't even been out for a year and there is unnecessary hostility towards it from Melee vets who can't do what they feel comfortable doing. They haven't even dug deep into the game they've already given up. My point is that even though Brawl is different from Melee people should just learn to accept the difference and be good enough to play both. Adaption is necessary for victory.

Can you adapt?
Dude, reread my post again ok? I played the game for 5 months and was pwning hard in it. I mained a lot of characters, but they all felt like they played so similar. The game's just not for me. I like Brawl, but as a party game, not a competitive fighter. It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the adjusts in Brawl.... I DON'T LIKE THEM. It has nothing to do with
wanting to adapt, or even that I gave up.

The metagame is not evolving to a point where I couldn't keep up with someone who plays regularly. I'm sure if I picked it up today and played you, our matches would be close. The game is simpler, and working for things like combos in melee is rewarding. Sorry my preference?

As for why it's being allowed in EVO and MLG, it's the sequel to a huge, widely establish, LEGITIMATE fighting game in Melee. The people who run these tournaments don't truly understand the complexity and workings of both Melee and Brawls metagame, so they assume Brawl is a worthy sequel to add to the venues, especially since it's new. Who knows what will happen, I only hope that Brawl one day becomes worthy of actually being played, though I doubt that will happen.

Edit::
Just saw this, TRUTH.

Grunt

Smash Master
Not to mention Melee's competitive scene didn't start off with as huge a bang as brawl's did, yet we still found stuff like wavedashing in a very short time frame.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Nobody knew about mortar sliding or ROB's down cancel. Their is alot of stuff this game has to offer.
you know all ur points have ROB and Snake at their base. all i see you arguing about is how ROB and Snake have stuff no one else can do, and ur saying that these 2 chars make brawl more in depth than it really is

ROB is nothing but spot dodge down smash and Snake is nothin but spam, gg brawl sucks

Skler

Smash Master
Everyone knows about cancelling the dash attack with the usmash. It isn't always called mortar sliding. Everyone knows about boost grabbing and all the other stupid **** that passes as an advanced technique now.

Somebody called doing a usmash our of a dash an advanced technique. Hyphen smashing? I call that doing an upsmash. Dash and then hit up on the c stick? SO ****ING ADVANCED!

Case and point, Brawl's ATs are trash. They aren't hard to do (took about 4 seconds to learn the dash attack cancel, no joke), and they aren't even that useful. The most useful technique is either knowing how to tilt with snake or knowing how to hit B with metaknight.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Everyone knows about cancelling the dash attack with the usmash. It isn't always called mortar sliding. Everyone knows about boost grabbing and all the other stupid **** that passes as an advanced technique now.

Somebody called doing a usmash our of a dash an advanced technique. Hyphen smashing? I call that doing an upsmash. Dash and then hit up on the c stick? SO ****ING ADVANCED!

Case and point, Brawl's ATs are trash. They aren't hard to do (took about 4 seconds to learn the dash attack cancel, no joke), and they aren't even that useful. The most useful technique is either knowing how to tilt with snake or knowing how to hit B with metaknight.
you forgot meta knight's up B, and u know what sealed the deal for me hating brawl? one night i was so bored i played my buddy in brawl, i picked fox and he went pikachu......guess what he can do? chain grab me to 100% without me having any chance of moving AT ALL, and then forward smash me

and guess what, i die from that bull **** and i cant do anything about it

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
you know all ur points have ROB and Snake at their base. all i see you arguing about is how ROB and Snake have stuff no one else can do, and ur saying that these 2 chars make brawl more in depth than it really is

ROB is nothing but spot dodge down smash and Snake is nothin but spam, gg brawl sucks
What else do you wanna know about any other character? Ask away.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Me post a match? Check youtube for combo videos. I don't have any videos up but youtube is full of them.
I have checked combo videos and they are not combos, they are just two hits and then the character makes a mistake and then another hit. But since you know brawl is interesting im sure you have seen and interesting match which you can post, but im also sure your not going to post one because you know none exist.

ROB is character specific just like Black Panther said. Can you explain how ROB is the most advanced thing in smash history please?

Not to mention Melee's competitive scene didn't start off with as huge a bang as brawl's did, yet we still found stuff like wavedashing in a very short time frame.
True.

I see, so 2 character-specific ATs make the game just as deep as Melee.
Good point, I'm going to go buy a Wii and Brawl right now.
Same.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero

Wow so you need advanced techniques just to win the game now? Whatever happened to knowing your characters moveset and studying your opponents and then calculating what to do and when? Whether you use AT's or not does it really matter? At the end of the day can you win with or without them?

You don't really need advanced techs to prove anything. I've seen people in Melee and Brawl do advanced stuff and still lose. The techniques are useful but what it comes down to is overall skill and knowledge of your character.

Just ask me about any other character if you want information on their advanced techniques.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Wow so you need advanced techniques just to win the game now? Whatever happened to knowing your characters moveset and studying your opponents and then calculating what to do and when? Whether you use AT's or not does it really matter? At the end of the day can you win with or without them?

You don't really need advanced techs to prove anything. I've seen people in Melee and Brawl do advanced stuff and still lose. The techniques are useful but what it comes down to is overall skill and knowledge of your character.

Just ask me about any other character if you want information on their advanced techniques.
I thought that was what melle was about too? I was a decent melee player and rarley used wavedashing, and I was able to beat a good waveshining fox with A link that did use the wavedash, so AT help, but you have to think to win. Can you win a war with you AT's alone?

Wrath`

Smash Master
Winning in melee is based on the better player of the match, in Brawl this is not so.
so winning =/= better player, ok..........? so when i go win a game of chess I am going to stand up and say I suck? No

. No item 4stock takes out most luck aspects, so now skill is nessacary to win and ussaly the skilled one is better.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I have checked combo videos and they are not combos, they are just two hits and then the character makes a mistake and then another hit. But since you know brawl is interesting im sure you have seen and interesting match which you can post, but im also sure your not going to post one because you know none exist.

ROB is character specific just like Black Panther said. Can you explain how ROB is the most advanced thing in smash history please?

True.

Same.

The videos I see on youtube are very interesting. If you want I could post some. I don't have any videos up but I'm sure other people wouldn't mind if I take some of their stuff.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Please do take their stuff. Im not asking for vids of you, im asking for an interesting brawl video, I dont care if its a match or a combo video, just as long as it shows combos and interestingness.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I thought that was what melle was about too? I was a decent melee player and rarley used wavedashing, and I was able to beat a good waveshining fox with A link that did use the wavedash, so AT help, but you have to think to win. Can you win a war with you AT's alone?
At the end of the day that's what its all about whether you're playing Melee or Brawl. Adapting and proving your skills whether you use AT's or not.

game set

Smash Apprentice

your ability to win a game is based on a more superior (In terms of acheiving your goal) choice of options than your opponent. With more USEFUL options, a game becomes deeper, thus allowing each player to be able to win however they want. Using or not using what what they feel like, as long as they pay attention to the right options. Brawl has really really ****ty option choices, thus causing the game to be skewed at a competitive level.

look a ddd cg'ing; In melee there were always a large amount of equally viable options at your disposal . with ddd you see the option to grab, and you do so, just cause you should. Melee was organic, brawl is so simple it makes me play like a machine.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Just pick peach cause she is your main. Wouldn't you wanna see a video with your favorite character?
To be specific I main sheik but she isnt my favourite character, I play her because I am the best with her and NO, ive seen a peach combo video and it was boring so please may I see another one, show me one of your favourites.

I will show you one of my favourites http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1FFTsecW4 ...... can you compete with that.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
your ability to win a game is based on a more superior (In terms of acheiving your goal) choice of options than your opponent. With more USEFUL options, a game becomes deeper, thus allowing each player to be able to win however they want. Using or not using what what they feel like, as long as they pay attention to the right options. Brawl has really really ****ty option choices, thus causing the game to be skewed at a competitive level.

look a ddd cg'ing; In melee there were always a large amount of equally viable options at your disposal . with ddd you see the option to grab, and you do so, just cause you should. Melee was organic, brawl is so simple it makes me play like a machine.
Even though people have options there ways to fight back. You don't just sit there and give up. For example, there are ways to fight back ddd's chaingrab and also if you don't wanna get chaingrabbed then don't let him grab you in the first place.

game set

Smash Apprentice
Wow I hope you aren't serious? Winning involves somebody being the better player. Otherwise they would just sit there with their characters on the screen not knowing what to do.

I'm saying that brawl is not a great medium to prove you skills on as the "skill" aspect can only be taken as deep when playing a shallow game. it's just that the game encourages you how to learn to win, but then once you learn, you find camping on snake/trading hits/mindless chaingrabs/mindless combo's a bit f*ucking boring...

game set

Smash Apprentice
Even though people have options there ways to fight back. You don't just sit there and give up. For example, there are ways to fight back ddd's chaingrab and also if you don't wanna get chaingrabbed then don't let him grab you in the first place.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you just discovered the secret to smash!!! if you dont want to get hit, then dont get hit! thats genious!!!!!1

there are way to many overpowered options in brawl to make it a respectable fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom