• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
I only got to speak with Bry a few times in the past on AIM, here and there on the forums, and sadly, was never able to meet him face to face. Even with that though, barely knowing someone, it still hurts at their loss. I, as others, won't be able to attend the wake, due to me being so far away with no transportation. My best wishes go out to him, his family, and all of those who got the chance to meet and spend time with him.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Bry always surprised me with his friendly and optimistic attitude. Though I didn't know him as well as some others, all the memories I have of him are good ones. It always sucks when someone you know dies, so I think as a community, we should do something to honor Bryan and his family.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
As much as I'd love to, I'm not sure I can make it to the wake today.

It really boggles my mind, why it takes someone dying for me to really realize just how much I cared about them, and enjoyed being around them.

He really did do a lot for the community here. It's so admirable, the way he hosted tournaments, and even when the power went out at his place, he used his girlfriend's house to keep the tournament going. Everyone who's reading this should really appreciate that tournament. That's dedication.

Perhaps the thing about Bry that I admire most is the way he played Smash. He did want to get better. He talked to me about improving and how he wanted to be one of the best. But, he never let that interfere with his love for the game, or his friends... And even though sometimes he saw slow improvement, man, that guy kept at it. I can't count how many people quit because they feel they weren't getting better fast enough. Not even that, but some people don't quit, but they just don't enter tournaments, or maybe not even go to them.

I laid in bed all night last night thinking about him. This weekend I will do the same. I think there's a lot I can learn from Bry's life, the way he acted and the way he did things. I think sometimes I need to be less selfish, and sometimes be more in the moment, instead of always worrying about how good I'm playing.

His girlfriend was incredible too. When I first met her, it was clear why they were dating- She's such a cool girl. She came all the way from Syracuse just to pick him up, and not once...Not once, did she ever say anything about it. The only thing she talked about was how excited she was to try Rochester food haha. It just made so much sense man, when I saw them together. They're both so laid back, and I know Bry would do the same for her at any time. To be honest, I was a little jealous of the way they got along, but more so, I was inspired.

Man, I don't even know what to say. Sometimes, no matter how much you think about something or someone, it still doesn't make sense. Why he had to leave. I have a very analytical mind, and I get so frustrated trying to figure out why he had to die. I don't think I'll ever find out why, I think that's impossible and I'm an idiot for trying.

But man, that guy changed the way I think about a lotttt of things now. I'm more than honored to have met him, hung out with him, and played with him.

Even though he's dead, he's not gone. Not to me at least, and I don't think he should be gone to any of us. The only way Bry will ever be gone is if we forget about him, and I know that will never happen. Instead, we need to keep him in our thoughts and hearts, always and forever. If anyone ever wants to talk about Bry with me at a Smashfest or a tourney, or on AIM even, please do. I'm hoping to preserve the way Bry thought about things and acted on him, his mindset and attitude, through myself at least, by taking on a lot of the same mentalities that he did.

And I think this community would be even more amazing now if we all put a little Bry in our lives, and did the same.

R.I.P Bryan, I'll never ever forget you.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
As of right now this is the plan for all that i know of.

Snowman is currently driving to my house.

a little after noon, I will be leaving with Snowman to pick up nightro in geneseo.

After I pick up nightro, I will be driving into the city to pick up San

Neil should be attending, driving his own car.

Angel is putting a constant effort into getting in touch with neil so that Neil can pick him up. So that the 2 of them can drive up together.

Minh's father is being a Nazi and wont allow him to leave the house.

Amber is bussing to syracuse, and I will be taking her back home to Oneonta.

Cura has informed me that the Wake has been moved back to 4 pm. When he has an address he will let all of us know. Until then everyone should probably just meet at his house. 1526 East Genesee Street, Syracuse New York. 13210

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I really don't know what Jesse is talking about not going. There should be four people in my car for Mass, and those four people will be there. For once I don't care if I can't practice the night before a tournament, or get there really late. Bry deserves our presence and respect.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
As respectable of a thing going to the wake of a friend is... I'd like to put some word in here that although you may not care about getting here really late I would very, very strongly prefer that you don't.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
As respectable of a thing going to the wake of a friend is... I'd like to put some word in here that although you may not care about getting here really late I would very, very strongly prefer that you don't.
We are leaving here within so we can get there just as the wake begins, and will be there for probably a half hour. After that we will be back on the road. I can't imagine the drive being six hours after that, so if everything goes well, we should get there well before midnight.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I need to clear my head for the weekend and think about some ****. I'll be up in schroon lake in the adirondacks with a good friend of mine(non smash). I won't be able to be reached this weekend.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Omg, I can't believe this. I'm so sorry, if I were still upstate I'd definitely go to the wake + my mother is very sick right now X_X .

Bry was an awesome guy, and just seemed so optimistic and nothing seemed to phase him. In smash, I remember once I beat him pretty badly, and he just calmly asked me what he needed to improve on immediately after. Most people, even at the top, would usually throw some sort of fit after that, but I always believed the person that can keep their composure that well has the most potential of all. That goes for just about anything in life.

hubble

Smash Ace
I really wish I was in the area so I could attend, PA sucks.

I'll probably remember Bry for the rest of my life, He hosted the most ENJOYABLE tournament (SS2) I have EVER been to. It was not without issues, but he took them and turned the experience into something truely special.

Peace be upon you brother.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
I did not know Bry well at all but the fact that a young person is passing on and especially one from our community demands my attention and thought. I cannot be with you for the wake unfortunately, but Bry and the rest of you guys will be in my prayers tonight. I look forward to hearing more stories about his life from those of you that knew him well in the future.

RIP Bry

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Wait... It's true. ;_;

He was so cool and nice! I barely got to know him! Aw man, RIP, Bry!

I wish I could make it to the wake, but it's incredibly short notice, so I can't. Bry was incredibly kind to me, so the first large Smashfest I can hold I will dedicate to him.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
My condolences to those who have to bear with this irreparable loss.
I second this. Being relatively new to the Pika community, I never new him much, but it just makes me sad to know that someone that is part of our community has passed away.

My heart extends to those that are affected by this tragedy.

='(
RIP.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I only talked to him a few times on the board, but one of them was just a few weeks ago. I can't even fathom that he's gone. RIP.

Sharky

Smash Master
First off, a HUGE thank you to everyone that was able to make it to the wake yesterday, especially those who made last minute travel arrangements. Everyone I spoke to immediately recognized us as his gamer friends, and spoke very fondly of us for our efforts and related to us how much Bry talked about us to them, I was actually surprised how much they knew about us. It was definitely hard for everyone there to see him, but it also made me really happy to see everyone gather together for a member of our community, and reminded me just how much I love all you guys. Thanks, really =D

The second section of this post is for everyone who is coming with us to MLG C-Bus next week. I just received this email, and wanted to know what you all think:

Dear Major League Gaming Guest:

How does the thought of a free hotel room during your stay in Columbus at the Major League Gaming convention sound? There are still rooms available for this exclusive offer!

If this interests you, Hyatt Regency Columbus would like to offer you a free room for the night of Saturday, June 5th.

Due to the hotel being oversold for this night only, we are looking for volunteers to check out of Hyatt Regency by noon on Saturday, June 5th and enjoy a free night at the Drury Inn. The Drury Inn is connected to the Convention Center so you'll never be far from the action of the convention.

Hyatt will provide you with a voucher that will be good for your room and tax for the night since Hyatt is paying for it. That is a savings of almost $140.00 for the room and tax.

If you are interested in this great offer, please reply to this email and send us the following information:

Your name
Names of anyone you are sharing a room with
Preferred bedding type: King or Double Double

Your return email to us will confirm that you wish to move hotels and we will ensure we move your reservation to the Drury Inn. Hyatt will communicate back to you via email with your confirmation number.

This offer is on a first-come-first-service basis so please do not hesitate to take advantage of this limited-time-offer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but hope you will benefit from the significant savings on your travel costs.

We look forward to seeing you in Columbus for the Major League Gaming convention next week.

Sincerely,

Hyatt Regency Columbus
sales.columbusregency@hyatt.com

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
How old was he? Smashers afaik aren't older than 30...and being younger than that and having a heart attack is ridiculously rare...

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I believe he was actually 19 however he was an avid smoker at 1 point though he quit and stayed off with no problem at all. however he did smoke alot of weed fairly often . Not sure how much that effects the heart. I also know Bryan also had an enlarged heart which may have also been a cause along with other things.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Weed doesn't affect the heart, just the brain.

Cigarettes probably messed up his lungs ALOT, and you know how that ****s up your stamina.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Hey everyone, I'm living in Brooklyn for the Summer. Clinton Hill area to be specific.

I wanna meet up with people and smash so whats the word?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sharky, i dont mind taking up that deal if you dont. but with that voucher, does it come out to cash at some point? Or is it just good for more hotel stays?

Sharky

Smash Master
I believe he was actually 19 however he was an avid smoker at 1 point though he quit and stayed off with no problem at all. however he did smoke alot of weed fairly often . Not sure how much that effects the heart. I also know Bryan also had an enlarged heart which may have also been a cause along with other things.
nah he was born in 1989 which would make him 20 at the youngest

@goggles: I'm inquiring about it, but I believe it just covers the second night, so we'd just be paying for friday night.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats even better. im definitely down for that.

Bry was born in september of '89. 3 months after myself. he was 20 years old.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
It's so crazy to know that someone just as old as I am had a heart attack and died. It makes you almost feel super vulnerable to anything....

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Oh yeah duh I knew he was my age, he was just so mature and had a solid relationship I thought he was older. Regardless, this is still setting in and I'm very sad.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
this is why im starting to watch the sodium in my diet..it can cause heart problems if you have too much of it. Looking at some of the **** i have in my covert some of it has over 800 mg of sodium in it -_-...

I'm sincerely sorry for the loss. Bryan will be missed

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
The trip to mass was amazing...I signed the guest book at Bry's wake for Foy, Minh, Steve and Burak.

People on trip to mass:

Jesiah_Teg, Spam, Vicious, RTF, Nitro, Pika Pika, Juni, Angel

Hightlights:

- 4 stocking some kid who got really mad...only getting two-stocked vs kage
- Roman and Banks were on fire at tournie...even inverted their characters during doubles, mad mind games
- Tsai is still western new york's hero
- Jesse and Neil losing to Irish_Mafia <-- how the hell did that happen?
- Got to mee Kage and Matt.Zeb I freaking love you guys
- Street Fighter, free-play DDR, Capcom vs SNK at venue...so clutch
- Bry's wake was awesome...he had some really cool friends who all sang/yelled a punk song in tribute. Jesse read a great speech (the one on smash boards) to everyone there. I <3 his mom she is so amazing.
- Meeting Haily-M
- Sklr's Link doesn't have **** on Minh's
- Visiting Cura, Sharky and Franny
- Spending the trip more high than sober
- Visiting Boston and stoping at a ****ing awesome anime store (there was a girl in a maid outfit working there!).Ii drew a pic of Yun from 3rd Strike and hung it up there you should check it out if your're down there. Place is called Tokyo Kid. I also purchased the vintage promotional Gamepro magazines for SF2 there :D.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Tokyokid is overpriced craziness, the Newbury Comics in the Garage has better selection on almost everything.

How far from Albany do I have to drive to get to melee things around here? I wanna start beasting on you guys for real now.

EDIT: @Vibe, which one? IaMP I hope?

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Tokyokid is overpriced craziness, the Newbury Comics in the Garage has better selection on almost everything.

How far from Albany do I have to drive to get to melee things around here? I wanna start beasting on you guys for real now.

As far as being overpriced depends on what you get...I got the vintage gamepros which are invaluable to me for $2...snacks are most def overpriced.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace

Unnatural Thinkable Law. :3

BTW, I live in Troy. Just sayin'.

I'm mostly Brawl, but i'm willing to learn melee. I'm kinda on and off here and there with it.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Hey doo doo
I like the things you doo
Hey doo doo
If I could I would be youu

The one and only camper
Playing a puff ball
You take the game
and make it SLOWER THAN BRAWL

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Hey doo doo
I like the things you doo
Hey doo doo
If I could I would be youu

The one and only camper
Playing a puff ball
You take the game
and make it SLOWER THAN BRAWL
This is amazing.

@PoofyHair: Yeah, the snacks are OP and basically any DVD/figurine is $5-10 over internet retail price. Also, you're Amber, right? Your Honda's pretty beast, I can't close on it as dudley for ****. GG's.

Top Bottom