• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Im sorry im not really understanding this. MK isnt banned for what reasons?
Gee ummm democracy is one reason. It was a 3 to 1 vote to not ban him.

Just because he has 6:4 in every match up doesn't make him broken. Characters that are better than him exist in other fighters and the talk of a ban hasn't come up in those communities either.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just because he has 6:4 in every match up doesn't make him broken.
If MetaKnight did have a 6:4 in every matchup (he doesn't) then he is completely broken. It would make 0 sense for anyone to not play MetaKnight since they automatically have the matchup advantage over every single possible character in the game when every other character has some sort of weakness.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If MetaKnight did have a 6:4 in every matchup (he doesn't) then he is completely broken. It would make 0 sense for anyone to not play MetaKnight since they automatically have the matchup advantage over every single possible character in the game when every other character has some sort of weakness.
The problem is - I mentioned it in other threads before - that match-up ratios are pretty stupid, since they only show how likely it is for a character to win but not how hard it is to actually do it(or at least ... that factor gets lost somehow). It's not a contradiction even if it sounds like one.
An example would be the Marth vs MK match-up: While most competitive/notable players agree that it's 6/4 in MKs favour, it would still be false to say that Marth is an "easy" match-up for MK. A 4/6 disadvantage is not unwinnable in the slightest - Marth's chances to win are absolutely realistic and even if he does have the disadvantage the MK player has to put a lot of effort into the match to actually beat a good Marth. So while MK does have the advantage over Marth, Marth still actually is a tough match-up for MK.

If you look at match-up ratios you can't see that really. For that reason, it is better to actually look at the difficulty of a specific opponent. Is he hard to defeat? This can be easily the case but that doesn't mean that you can't have the advantage. If you look at MKs match-up numbers he might seem to have almost only advantages but the truth is that he still has lots of hard match-up's. In fact, all match-up's that aren't higher than 6/4 can be considered tough match-up's. In MKs case there are lots of 6/4 match-up's but most of them are hard. MK has lots of hard match-up's:
Snake, King Dedede, G&W, Falco, ROB, Marth, Wario, Lucario, DK, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Toon Link, Bowser and Luigi;

RDK

Smash Hero
I wouldn't use the word democracy since only SBR members could vote.
And thank god for that. If everyone and their dog were allowed to vote then the tournament standard would be items on and Pictochat.

Kadardes

Smash Apprentice
i dont know how i actually missed this thread but now it means that no one is going to eventually play any character but mk.. whats the point? if you play someone else whos amazing and equally good and they play mk you'll lose..

guess i should start training my mk...........

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i dont know how i actually missed this thread but now it means that no one is going to eventually play any character but mk.. whats the point? if you play someone else whos amazing and equally good and they play mk you'll lose..

guess i should start training my mk...........
when ally starts using MK competitively talk to me

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
The problem is - I mentioned it in other threads before - that match-up ratios are pretty stupid, since they only show how likely it is for a character to win but not how hard it is to actually do it(or at least ... that factor gets lost somehow). It's not a contradiction even if it sounds like one.
An example would be the Marth vs MK match-up: While most competitive/notable players agree that it's 6/4 in MKs favour, it would still be false to say that Marth is an "easy" match-up for MK. A 4/6 disadvantage is not unwinnable in the slightest - Marth's chances to win are absolutely realistic and even if he does have the disadvantage the MK player has to put a lot of effort into the match to actually beat a good Marth. So while MK does have the advantage over Marth, Marth still actually is a tough match-up for MK.

If you look at match-up ratios you can't see that really. For that reason, it is better to actually look at the difficulty of a specific opponent. Is he hard to defeat? This can be easily the case but that doesn't mean that you can't have the advantage. If you look at MKs match-up numbers he might seem to have almost only advantages but the truth is that he still has lots of hard match-up's. In fact, all match-up's that aren't higher than 6/4 can be considered tough match-up's. In MKs case there are lots of 6/4 match-up's but most of them are hard. MK has lots of hard match-up's:
Snake, King Dedede, G&W, Falco, ROB, Marth, Wario, Lucario, DK, Diddy Kong, Kirby, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Toon Link, Bowser and Luigi;
Actually it basically means if people with the same skill level play mk wins. Matchups are hard i understand but for someone who is really good to lose to someone whos skill level is below them is sad. The person not using mk needs to work much harder, and the mk has the constant luxury of always having the advantage. In melee your char can be CP'd and you need skill and knowledge to win. With mk your good, dont worry about being counterpicked and basically fight almost every match up the same. For someone to beat the mk you have to severely outplay them. Now lets justify this as being fair.
I mean m2k lost to NL so diddy is a counter mk is find. Also olimar can kill mk with usmash at 90% so mk isnt broken. Yoshi has a grab release on mk so yoshi is also a counter xD.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

That's not what defines a "tough match-up", it's what defines being a "soft counter".

What you seem to mean is that the match requires effort on MK's part.

Also, Marth's match-up is 65-35 MK, not 60-40.

BarakuDragon

Smash Cadet
*edit removed last post*
glad that there was a final decision about the mk thing i know i'm slow to post about it but i didn't read till now haha. It's great to hear about diddy to hope things can improve with him.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually it basically means if people with the same skill level play mk wins. Matchups are hard i understand but for someone who is really good to lose to someone whos skill level is below them is sad.
And when did that ever happen? Did Azen ever lose to a MK that's worse than him? He never loses to anybody except M2K, who just happens to be the best. Same with ChuDat...he still wins with Kirby.

I never seen it happen and there's no proof for this either.

The person not using mk needs to work much harder, and the mk has the constant luxury of always having the advantage.
MK does not always have the advantage.

In melee your char can be CP'd and you need skill and knowledge to win. With mk your good, dont worry about being counterpicked and basically fight almost every match up the same. For someone to beat the mk you have to severely outplay them. Now lets justify this as being fair.
Are you the same Rogue Pit, who is said to be one of the few really good Pit players? The way you sound ... it's very weird because a skilled player like you should actually know that you can CP MK and he doesn't have to play every match-up the same. I don't even know why you say this...

I mean m2k lost to NL so diddy is a counter mk is find. Also olimar can kill mk with usmash at 90% so mk isnt broken. Yoshi has a grab release on mk so yoshi is also a counter xD.
Stupid people are stupid. I have no idea why you bring up so narrow-minded stereotypes since I assume you know that it's not like that. Even if Diddy doesn't counter MK (which he obviously doesn't) MK still has to put tremendous efforts into the match in order to win.

That's not what defines a "tough match-up", it's what defines being a "soft counter".
Then either the match-up numbers or the definitions fail...

Winning a 6/4 match-up is not easy, softcounter or not.

What you seem to mean is that the match requires effort on MK's part.
Exactly. And it's enough effort to justify him not to be banned even if he does have only 6/4 match-up's.

Also, Marth's match-up is 65-35 MK, not 60-40.
No, it's not. It's 6/4.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't even know what topic I'm in, but I saw Gheb was posting recently, so I came and read his post because Gheb is sexy.

Marth vs. MK is 6.4. Take it from me, who has tremendous experience in this match-up.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I don't even know what topic I'm in, but I saw Gheb was posting recently, so I came and read his post because Gheb is sexy.

Marth vs. MK is 6.4. Take it from me, who has tremendous experience in this match-up.
I dunno...I'd definitely be leaning more towards 65-35. Maybe you're really good at the matchup, but facts are facts. MK outranges Marth with most attacks, and gimps him like a little *****.

It's definitely a winnable matchup for Marth, so I wouldn't say 70-30, but it's a little more than a small counter for MK IMO.

fox219

Smash Journeyman
Whew. Finally we hear something from you guys.

So, Meta Knight should not be banned. Interesting. I can already see Overswarm breaking something. ^^"
Anyway, I still stand by my own opinion that a temporary ban would've been the best solution - just to see how the tournament scene develops without him.

I'm glad on the other hand, though, that the discussions are over for now.
I totally agree with U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Then either the match-up numbers or the definitions fail...

Winning a 6/4 match-up is not easy, softcounter or not.
Soft counter means that the match-up is significantly in one character's advantage, there's a quite noticeable between the character's ability.

Hard counter means that almost no effort is required to win.

"Tough" in competitive terms refers to match-ups that are actual disadvantages to the character in question.

Unless you're talking in relative terms, because 6-4 is tough relative to a lot of his match-ups.

Rather then trying to redefine terms in ways that irk people, just say what you mean, 6/4 match-ups are close enough that MK has to play well to win.

Exactly. And it's enough effort to justify him not to be banned even if he does have only 6/4 match-up's.
Lol, you're know we're both part of the "mk should not be banned" group.

Really, my only point was to put what I know you were trying to say in terms that people aren't gonna jump down your throat for.

Yes, Gheb is sexy, but that's not relevant.

Fair enough.

But, lol, you know I don't take it from anyone at face value (or you SHOULD know), but your opinion definitely carries enough weight for me to reconsider. I'll look over the match-up again.

Btw. how come all the cool people in NJ are from Teaneck? (just noticed your location and I happen to have friends from the area)

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
When you fase a MK, make it a mirror-match. Allways keep yourself at least average with MK. If you main Snake i think you would have no problem tilt him away, both to rack up damage and kO. The problem facing a MK lies within the spacing, gimping and egdeguarding.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Having 6/4 matchups is still too close to consider anyone bannable... that'd more or less make them just really good moreso than broken.

Also there are still matchups that are in dire need of study. No-one should really be declaring "MK goes #/# vs X" until we have conclusive details on the matchup.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Someone remind me of the last time M2K lost to an MK...

Because at that C3 tournament at the end of Nov he lost 1 game to Azen's Diddy and a set to Ninjalink's Diddy Kong. Azen also took a game off of DSF's MK using Diddy. This isn't even mentioning all the other characters either that have had success (against M2K/other good MK's).

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Someone remind me of the last time M2K lost to an MK...

Because at that C3 tournament at the end of Nov he lost 1 game to Azen's Diddy and a set to Ninjalink's Diddy Kong. Azen also took a game off of DSF's MK using Diddy. This isn't even mentioning all the other characters either that have had success (against M2K/other good MK's).
Atomsk has taken games with Dedede and Olimar.

Keitaro took a game with Falco.

Azen has taken a set from Mew2King with Lucario.

I can't even recall Mew2King losing an MK ditto match, let alone a set.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Based purely on statistics you have no chance winning a tournament with M2K in attendance if you choose to use MK. Choosing a character other than MK at least gives you a fragment of hope.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol His D3 would still wreck.
Nah trick. I never lose to Dedede. ;)

I haven't lost to Atomsk's for a long time. I beat Seibrik and CO18(very badly) 2-0 in money matches and Hungrybox 3-0 and I twostocked Basic Sausage twice in tourny two days ago. I need to get at some West Coast Dededes soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom