• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

etecoon

Smash Hero
people said TP was 80 hours before that came out

professional reviewers aren't a very reliable source of information

idc if it were a lot shorter though. I'd rather have a 10-20 hour game that makes me want to replay it a lot rather than a really long one that I never replay. I only replayed twilight princess in full twice, it's one of the longer games in the series but the fact that it just doesn't do much to make me want to play it is bad

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what Aonuma meant by, we will also be "revisiting familiar places that aren't Hyrule". Does anyone have any clue on this subject? Since there is only a hand full of places he could be talking about there has to be some sort of lead or theory on this, no?

etecoon

Smash Hero
holodrum and labrynna would have to be the leading candidates for me, and maybe "new hyrule" assuming he was only talking about old hyrule. pretty much anywhere but koholint or termina, neither of which would be considered actual physical places on the same plane as hyrule unless this game does some serious retconning

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Holodrum and Labrynna were the two that came to mind when I read that, but I would guess New Hyrule would seem more likely.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think Holodrum and Labrynna are totally out of the question. Termina and the Twilight Realm may not be.

In fact, the Silent Realm may end up becoming the Twilight Realm..

Edit: IIRC the Master Sword *spoilers!*
is actually forged in the Silent Realm, which would support my theory of it becoming the Twilight Realm based on the Master Sword's harnessing of the Sols in the Twilight Palace.

etecoon

Smash Hero
twilight realm would make sense except you only visit the twilight palace, the rest of the twilight realm in TP is formerly hyrule, but that would make sense as a cameo or even something we didn't see in TP

Spire

III
BRoomer
We visit the Twilight Palace in TP, yes. But there are many other floating islands in its sky (hmmm...). The twilit parts of Hyrule were more so blankets of "twilight" laying over Hyrule, an overlapping of worlds so to speak. It is otherwise completely removed from Hyrule physically, with the only door being the Mirror of Twilight. The Silent Realm serves as a parallel to Hyrule, blah we'll see in 27 days!

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's a parallel realm you venture to in Skyward Sword by thrusting the Goddess Sword into select pedestals around Hyrule.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I wonder what Aonuma meant by, we will also be "revisiting familiar places that aren't Hyrule". Does anyone have any clue on this subject? Since there is only a hand full of places he could be talking about there has to be some sort of lead or theory on this, no?
Let's look at the places we've visited in past games.

- Hyrule in various incarnations
- Koholint Island (LA)
- The Dark World/Sacred Realm (ALttP, technically OoT)
- Termina (MM)
- Holodrum/Labrynna (Oracle games)
- Twilight Realm (TP)

I'm sure there's at least one more.

Sounds similar to the warp points to the dark world in Lttp
My thoughts too.

My own personal theory is that the Sacred Realm (aka Dark World) = Twilight Realm = Silent Realm, or at the very least there's some sort of connectivity between them.

*EDIT* I just had another thought.

Skyloft is a number of floating islands. The twilight realm in twilight princess is also a number of floating islands. The twilight realm is populated by people originally banished from Hyrule. You collect "teardrop-like" items in the Silent Realm, which seem like a direct reference to the tears of light in TP. Except for Minish Cap and Twilight Princess, there's no real reference to a realm above the clouds and in TP, there's no actual real remains of any civilization aside from the one dungeon.

Although skyloft is not technically part of Hyrule... hmmmm...

*EDIT 2* Oh, I forgot some regions.

- Subrosia (OoS)
And of course, the two most important to the series

- Koridai (L:FoE)
- Gamelon (Z:WoG)

etecoon

Smash Hero
Except for Minish Cap and Twilight Princess, there's no real reference to a realm above the clouds and in TP, there's no actual real remains of any civilization aside from the one dungeon.
LTTP's manual features a picture of the sacred realm that is very evocative of something like skyloft, floating islands with greek/roman style architecture and everything

I wonder if Nintendo has it's own The Legend of Link Historian that they contact to make sure they do not do something contradictory in the series.

etecoon

Smash Hero
they claim to have a secret document somewhere but it seems like they retcon it constantly, like at this point there's almost a plausible case for the series to be going "ancient aliens" on us but that would've been completely wacky 10 years ago

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I wonder if Nintendo has it's own The Legend of Link Historian that they contact to make sure they do not do something contradictory in the series.
They were going to do that but then they decided to burn a big pile of money instead.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Every time people start trying to connect LoZ games, God kills a basket of kittens. Please, think of the kittens.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Can you at least realize that a good portion of people do? If you'd ask why they care about narrative, perhaps you'll get an answer.

:phone:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The narrative makes the overall story a bit more interesting. I never cared for a timeline before I was exposed to the idea. Now that timelines have been brought to my attention, it's an interesting and immersive aspect of the overall Legend of Zelda, though I would agree with LT it's not really necessary though I do like it and look forward to connecting the games together.

escro

Smash Ace
the way i see it is that nintendo has purposely allowed enough of the ambiguity between each game so the players are able to decide for themselves about the whole connectivity thing.
however they have said explicitly that a timeline exists

anyhow, as Spire said,
"is there a timeline? yes.
do i have to believe in one? no."

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'll clarify. I like a sense of cohesion. I like that the games all have callbacks to each other and whatnot. Gives a real sense of a "world". What I was referring to is a literal plot arc where all the loose ends are tied up. If it was MGS, where the narrative IS the game, that would be different. But it's Zelda. I dunno, just the way I see it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Can you at least realize that a good portion of people do? If you'd ask why they care about narrative, perhaps you'll get an answer.

What bothers me is the narrative and logical gymnastics required to connect these stories. And it still can't actually be done; all of this requires a split timeline, which to me is absurd on its face.

escro

Smash Ace
i stand by my "theres enough evidence or lack thereof to suggest either way"

on other news, and more on topic, i finally preordered my skyward sword limited edition. yay
also am i correct in assuming that you get the audio cd in both normal edition and limited, with the only difference being the wiimote? (and of course price)
a friend wants to get the game but doesnt want to shell out 120 when he doesnt even want the wiimote, only game and cd

escro

Smash Ace
well thats pretty awesome then.
btw is the cd what was performed at the orchestra thingo a few days ago?
or is it unrelated zelda music arrangements

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'll clarify. I like a sense of cohesion. I like that the games all have callbacks to each other and whatnot. Gives a real sense of a "world". What I was referring to is a literal plot arc where all the loose ends are tied up. If it was MGS, where the narrative IS the game, that would be different. But it's Zelda. I dunno, just the way I see it.
MGS is a complete mess too really

but I agree, zelda doesn't need a cohesive narrative because it isn't a literal account of events. the portrayal of hyrule and its history is constantly changing, just like an oral tradition would between story tellers

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
i stand by my "theres enough evidence or lack thereof to suggest either way"

on other news, and more on topic, i finally preordered my skyward sword limited edition. yay
also am i correct in assuming that you get the audio cd in both normal edition and limited, with the only difference being the wiimote? (and of course price)
a friend wants to get the game but doesnt want to shell out 120 when he doesnt even want the wiimote, only game and cd
120 dollars? Is he Australian or something?

escro

Smash Ace
yep, thats in au dollar
i dunno if it could have been cheaper cuz i didnt try look around and compare prices, didnt have time and was worried time might run out for preordering
but OH WELL I GOT THE GAME NOW(as a preorder)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
MGS is a complete mess too really

but I agree, zelda doesn't need a cohesive narrative because it isn't a literal account of events. the portrayal of hyrule and its history is constantly changing, just like an oral tradition would between story tellers
This is exactly how I like to look it at. It's a "legend" in the literal definition of the word. and each game is a different person's take on the same fundamental legend.

as for the CD, I'm pretty sure it's different than the orchestra concerts they are doing now. This CD also came with OoT 3DS, if you registered it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I believe in the "legend" theorem versus the rigorously constructed history that people have given the franchise, but I recognize that there are enough elements to tie the tales together within the semblance of a chronology. With that being said, history is a false mode by which to analyze a people, as it is nothing more than an agreed upon fable. Legends are passed down from one people to another, naturally evolving in context with the preservation of character. I think that is a true measure of humanity. In application to Zelda, we basically have many legends with shared elements suggesting a broader origin story that we'll perhaps never find resolution in. As such, Zelda will forever be timeless. A timeline defeats the timelessness of the franchise. Zelda's reluctance to adjust to such demands speaks for its success.

etecoon

Smash Hero
With that being said, history is a false mode by which to analyze a people, as it is nothing more than an agreed upon fable.
perfectly put, our own real history is much the same and it almost reminds me of timeline debates where you try to piece together all these vague details. there's about 190,000 years of human history that we'll likely never fully understand, and even more recently there are still many mysterious elements to it

ancient history fascinates me so the time setting is definitely one of the things that got me really excited about the game early on, zelda usually uses a lot of real world influence so all the egyptian and mesoamerican flourishes have added a lot to how much I like the aesthetics

Spire

III
BRoomer
Exactly! And then there's the Tibetan Buddhist architecture seen in the Ancient Cistern. From what we've seen so far of Skyward Sword, it's quite evident how particular the developers have integrated ancient architecture and aesthetics into a game based long before the medieval settings of yore. It's just so damn right.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seems like Jumpman has not posted this, so I will.

EDGE magazine, notorious for their harsh reviews (only 13 perfect scores to date), have given SS a 10/10. I believe the issue comes out tomorrow.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2011/10/edge-magazine-skyward-sword-gets-a-perfect-10/

At the end of the day, reviewers have their own opinions (lol at Rockband 3 getting a perfect score), but to be now one of 14 to get a perfect score definitely speaks volumes.

Top Bottom