• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Um, that's exactly what SS's item wheel is. You can bring up the menu with B and point and click, or you can move the wiimote in the direction of the item you want, hit B and it switches automatically.

How this is somehow less intuitive and slower than pressing start, selecting an item, and pressing start again is over my head I have to say. Calling something clunky doesn't automatically make it so.

I dunno what to say about DKCR. I've never had a problem with the rolling not activating. I never had to give it a rigorous shake.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Um, that's exactly what SS's item wheel is. You can bring up the menu with B and point and click, or you can move the wiimote in the direction of the item you want, hit B and it switches automatically.

How this is somehow less intuitive and slower than pressing start, selecting an item, and pressing start again is over my head I have to say. Calling something clunky doesn't automatically make it so.
Ummm. No. That is nothing like what I said. SS still has the ISS. My proposal is the complete removal of the ISS.
I dunno what to say about DKCR. I've never had a problem with the rolling not activating. I never had to give it a rigorous shake.
Even if I didn't have any problems with the response of the shaking, I don't understand why anyone would want to shake their controller all the time and find that fun. (especially since I rolled at every chance I got) Do you understand how shaking to roll is slower compared to pressing a button? The older DKC had the run and roll as the same button and it worked beautifully. Why change something that isn't broken?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well, then I'm not sure what ISS means then. Do you mean the HUD information as well?

If you are talking about the item selection menu, I still don't get your point. Why would it be better to remove the option to visually see what you're selecting? If the game can do both, which it reportedly does, why remove the choice?

Forgive me if I'm still misunderstanding you, but you're really not helping me out much.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes, the ISS is the item select screen. I only abbrev. it cause I saw the abbrev in another thread used constantly. I guess I shouldn't haven't assumed that you knew the abbrev.

Here is what I'm saying. The ISS as it stands before SS is a sloppy system as is and it slows the pace of the game down. Motion controls is automatically slower and less responsive than traditional controllers. I find it pointless to keep the old ISS system in place which is a hindrance (even though it seems to be an improvement in SS) and add on a clunky, slower way to use the item on top of that.

If Nintendo really wanted to use the Motion+ in a really positive way that adds to the game, they should completely remove the need have the ISS in the first place. The game should be able to recognize that you are doing the bow and arrow motion and automatically switch to the "first person bow mode" ready to fire. This way there is no need to first take a "time out" to select the bow on the ISS. This is similar to what the PS3 does. This should be applied to all the items in link's inventory if possible. If its not feasible to do this with all the items, then only have the ISS for those items and assign them to buttons and not motion controls. This is the concept I'm trying to present

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think you should wait and see how Skyward Sword is paced before judging just how it plays. What you prefer in games seems to cater towards faster paced titles. Skyward Sword is not looking to be a fast paced game. Perhaps its controls won't seem out of place when you are roaming the world at your leisure, not requiring the kind of attention that games like DKCR demand.

etecoon

Smash Hero
not judging skyward sword yet as it uses WM+ unlike all my bad wii experiences, just saying I have good reason to be skeptical, I wouldn't call any of the wii games I've played "responsive" except for ones that don't utilize motion controls(I play brawl using wiichuk and it's fine as long as you don't try to use shake smash lol). but yeah, WM+ supposedly fixes all that so we will see

item wheel seems like a good idea the pause screens can be a problem in zelda games

that being said the controls are really the only part I'm very skeptical about. aesthetically I don't see how you say this is awful and isn't zelda anymore, if anything everything I've seen from this game really seems to recapture a wonder the series had that has been missing for most of the past decade

escro

Smash Ace
imo the whole motion thing seems gimmicky (not just in the upcoming SS) and i woukd much prefer to play it on a controller like the gamecube controller. but we shall see.

having said that i'll always want to be able to use the gamecube controller as it's the only controller i can use with my disability. so here's to hoping for those hackers to get busy.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think you should wait and see how Skyward Sword is paced before judging just how it plays. What you prefer in games seems to cater towards faster paced titles. Skyward Sword is not looking to be a fast paced game. Perhaps its controls won't seem out of place when you are roaming the world at your leisure, not requiring the kind of attention that games like DKCR demand.
Not necessarily. I love the old zelda's to death and replay OOT so many times despite its pacing being terrible. And how can you not say SS isn't looking to be a fast paced game when it is aiming to be the fastest paced Zelda game in the series?? Sprinting? Smooth wall climbing? Faster ISS hub? These are good ideas. I'm just against having to jump through unnecessary hoops to have to play games in general. For example. I see no added value in having to use motion to balance myself on tightropes (or even balance myself in the first place) I see no added value in using motion to control the beetle item or to have to hold my hand up in the air to charge a beam sword attack. Lttp beam sword was fine.

I'm not against change and innovation but I'm not about change and innovation when it comes at the cost of response. Maybe SS will "wow" me with some of these changes and motion additions. As I said. I will try how SS wants me to play but if it turns out to be gimmicky and stupid, I will have no hesitation to use a traditional controller hack if one comes out.
not judging skyward sword yet as it uses WM+ unlike all my bad wii experiences, just saying I have good reason to be skeptical, I wouldn't call any of the wii games I've played "responsive" except for ones that don't utilize motion controls(I play brawl using wiichuk and it's fine as long as you don't try to use shake smash lol). but yeah, WM+ supposedly fixes all that so we will see

item wheel seems like a good idea the pause screens can be a problem in zelda games

that being said the controls are really the only part I'm very skeptical about. aesthetically I don't see how you say this is awful and isn't zelda anymore, if anything everything I've seen from this game really seems to recapture a wonder the series had that has been missing for most of the past decade
QFT. I feel the same way

etecoon

Smash Hero
I missed wall climbing....

now we need a double hookshot that can latch onto almost anything to complete the spiderman experience!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I highly doubt there will ever be a controller hack. They have literally designed the entire game around Wii Motion Plus. You would have to completely reconfigure everything for it to work. All of the enemies were designed to be defeated not by a random sword slash at the push of the B button, but by precise swings of the sword.

And when I suggest SS to be a slowed down experience, I refer to all of its side options, bug-catching for example (which apparently demands quite a bit of patience). I've been playing Batman: Arkham City lately and while I've had a blast playing the game, there have been times where I've wished I had more control over Batman's direct movements. Yes, you can do a lot, but often times I felt that what I saw on the screen was but an automation of my comparatively minimal input. Skyward Sword looks to bring a far more direct experience to the gaming world, and for that I am very interested.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I highly doubt there will ever be a controller hack. They have literally designed the entire game around Wii Motion Plus. You would have to completely reconfigure everything for it to work. All of the enemies were designed to be defeated not by a random sword slash at the push of the B button, but by precise swings of the sword.
You don't seem to be understanding. This is a educated guess but based on what we've seen from SS and on how Zelda designs games, even though you have unlimited range of sword control, I highly doubt that any puzzle found in the game will take require such precision outside of the vertical or horizontal slash. This means that anything other then that is nothing more than a tech demo. "See what we can do. You can carve the shields of enemies in your own way." These things aren't necessary to actually beat the game like you are claiming ergo "precise sword swings" are not that precise. Whether or not this is the case is yet to be seen when I play the game but I bet you this is how SS is designed. I'm calling it right now.

Also, the type of slashes found in the 64 titles are not "random B button presses" like you said. You can perform any slash when you want. However there is only one thing that I can think of that is the reason why the sword can't be converted to the joystick. If there isn't any set sword swing animations that you can set to a button movement then it won't work. It seems like the sword swings are free flowing which is different then TP.
And when I suggest SS to be a slowed down experience, I refer to all of its side options, bug-catching for example (which apparently demands quite a bit of patience).
I love side quests, it is what makes each Zelda game unique from each Zelda game. I have patience for things that need patience as long as it makes sense.
I've been playing Batman: Arkham City lately and while I've had a blast playing the game, there have been times where I've wished I had more control over Batman's direct movements. Yes, you can do a lot, but often times I felt that what I saw on the screen was but an automation of my comparatively minimal input. Skyward Sword looks to bring a far more direct experience to the gaming world, and for that I am very interested.
I know what you mean. It sucks. If SS is like this then a tradition controller hack is certainly possible. I think SS will be a direct experience as well. I'll give it a try of course and I hope its going to feel great. I'm still not thrilled about so much reliance on motion controls though

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
One thing interesting I noticed in the Iwata Asks interview was that hitting an enemy with the dull side of your sword will likely be ineffective. I thought that was neat, and certainly a little more in depth than "choose horizontal or vertical slash"

Spire

III
BRoomer
And that is where we differ :p

I am excited to see how they've used Wii Motion Plus to change the Zelda experience. I am an advocate of experimentation in control, so motion swinging seems like a natural evolution of analog and stylus input for this series. Again, until I actually play the game my opinion is subject to change, but it's definitely looking bright for my interests.

In all honesty, I'm tired of simple button input.

:phone:

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I'm looking quite forward to the motion+ style. I don't care about anything requiring patience. I have all the patience in the world when it comes to Zelda. I could care less on how fast paced or slow paced it is. Either way I'll be glad to play it and NOTHINGS gonna ruin that.

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Ok, just based off of the new trailer released here are some of my thoughts.
You will have to go on a 3 temple quest to forge the master sword. One Temple for each Goddess. Din. Nayru. Farore.

We will learn more about the Sheikah.

The Harp gained in this quest is that of Sheik's in Ocarina.

We will see a pre-evolved form of Zora.

Volvagia will be the final boss of the Fire Temple.

The red bird as Spire has said before will be an influence for the Hylian Shield.

And, I'm not 100% sure on these 2 theories but the lady in the trailer defending Zelda is either an ancestor of Impa or maybe she is a Gerudo. She has the Sheikah symbol tattooed on her face. So yea. Maybe she is both. Who knows? *Miyamoto does*

And I know we aren't allowed to say his name here but one of our favorite baddies will have his origin revealed in this game. That has been confirmed.

All I'm saying is a Gerudo man is born once every 100 years. This game takes place 100 years before Ocarina. Maybe that woman gives birth to him?

Who knows? *Once again Miyamoto does, he is probably laughing at me*

All I know is that this game will be exciting and full of surprises. I love me some Zelda!!!

Ecks

Smash Lord
Wait, so this is 100 years before OoT? I thought it was way more.

Anyway, saw the new trailer and I am looking forward to this more than ever!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Must... continue... resisting.

21 days is not long. Three weeks exactly until Skyward Sword debuts in the states. Must tide myself over with Arkham City, Skyrim, and DBZ: Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Edit: Please use spoiler tags when posting about Skyward Sword news. Since that Origins trailer (still haven't watched it, yeehaw!), things are getting a little too spoiled in my opinion. It doesn't hurt to use the tags, so please do!

Ecks

Smash Lord
I was just at kotaku today and they posted the intro for the game. For those who don't want it spoiled, the article is still worth checking out (if you can resist pressing play) because they have images of the discs, the box, the controller and what not.

Also, this isn't really a spoiler, but
there's a vocal version of the main theme!
I really liked it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am actually quite excited for this release. I hope to get one of the limited edition packs with the gold colored wii-mote and music CD. But alas I have not pre-ordered it so there's no telling if there will be any available. We'll see... this area isn't huge for video gaming like in a lot of other places...

I found some of the sneak peaks interesting, though I agree that Nintendo seems to be revealing too much of the game, and it's kind of strange feeling, as if they're afraid the HYPE isn't enough, or something. But...

[COLLAPSE="Spoliers! "]
• Return to the Eldin Volcano and the Fire Sanctuary: Link travels back to this volcanic area to journey into the Fire Sanctuary, a dungeon that sits on top of the volcano's summit.

• New Items: In the Fire Sanctuary, Link receives yet another new item - the Mogma Mitts. Using these, he is able to access underground tunnels by digging through soft patches in the ground to explore the subterranean areas in this dungeon.

• The Quest Continues: As Link makes his way through this treacherous area and continues on his quest to find and help Zelda™, a massive eruption throws him from atop the volcano.

• More Fun in the Skies: When Link returns to Skyloft he can look forward to a multitude of fun diversions, including Pumpkin Pull, a challenging game of target shooting that involves flying pumpkins.
[/COLLAPSE]
... lots to look forward to.

escro

Smash Ace
yeah, im also trying to avoid spoilers about the game plotwise becase i dont like the amount of info they are revealing. half the fun comes with finding out the stuff yourself, you know?
lol
cant wait ^^

escro

Smash Ace
how many of you actually read the immense wall of text that damn owl spouts anyway?
a small part of me dies everytime he makes you listen to it all and you cant skip through it
:(

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well I read it the first time I played OoT. Now that I'm on the nth time, no. That's assumed in the nature of the encounter, isn't it?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I read his speech about four time each. I'd hold B or whatever then press B when he's like "Would you like to hear this again?" and I'd rage.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Pre-ordered the game at Gamestop when I picked up Sonic Generations. Apparently I pre-ordered the special edition copy, with the gold Wiimote, soundtrack, WiiMotion Plus, all that.

Counting down the days now :)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nice.

I have to convince my wife to be okay with us getting the game, whichever edition we end up getting our hands on. She was so appalled at Twilight Princess (mainly because of the delays in release, but also because she found no where near as fun or original as OoT or her favorite WW) that she's vowed "we will never have another Zelda game in this house. Heh, we'll see.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Letting wives dictate whether or not you can play Zelda at home.

hahahahahaha

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Mine is just as much of a Zelda nerd as me.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut she rejects the notion of the timeline. >.>
Still a keeper though.

etecoon

Smash Hero
no one doing midnight release :/ was actually considering pre-ordering but I can probably get the game earlier by not doing so, gamestop and best buy don't open until 10am

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I went to Gamestop Tuesday to grab Generations during the midnight release of Uncharted 3. Arrived around 12:15, no one was around because everyone had gone and got their game, got mine with no hassle.

I intend to do the same with SS if there's a midnight release for it.

:phone:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If I'm extra nice about it she'll probably give in. If I just go and get it anyway I'll come home one day to find the disc either pawned or destroyed. Or worse, every time I want to play it I'll hear nothing but "this sucks, that sucks, you suck" and I hate being distracted while gaming.

Yeah, TRG, it's how we met actually... good 'ole gamefaqs message boards, lol.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah should have tried to get tossed during selection, just be like

BUT ZELDA IS GOING TO COME OUT BEFORE THE TRIAL IS OVER, IT'S IMPORTAAAAANT

and then they'll see you're a crazy and won't use you, and you're telling the truth!

edit:

some leaked screenshots courtesy /v/, possible spoilers

Top Bottom