• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'll be skeptical of the controls until I play it myself but otherwise a 9-10 score doesn't surprise me, they really seem to have gone back to the drawing board and avoided most if not all of the traps that WW and TP fell into and really moved the series forward. it's certainly the best looking game in the series to my eyes so it already has that working for it too

escro

Smash Ace
at this point in time the only thing that bothers me slightly is the claim that the game is not as difficult as the other games, apparently it's easier than OoT and more linear and straightforward which is a shame because OoT was a pretty good level of difficulty in my opinion

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well he said linear in that you're not going to have to go backtracking through the dungeon. You're going to be progressing deeper and deeper through the dungeon, not going back to the first floor to get to some random room or an oddly placed boss room.

escro

Smash Ace
hmm i guess. i took it a different way though, but now that i think about it, i dont know if it matters
i assumed the "linear" and "no backtracking" referred to the game as a whole, so we wouldnt have to go back to some dungeon to get a collectible or whatever because we needed an item to do so
eg how you needed hookshot to get some gold skulltulla tokens so you had to go back
dunno if thats a good example though cuz dunno if those "collectibles" will be in this game

also, i liked the weird backtracking in the dungeons of previous games! lol
walking into the dungeon and seeing the locked boss door staring at you was weird and wonderful.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea, I interpret a linear game as being one where you have to do things in a certain order whereas OOT and MM you had a lot more freedom as to which dungeons or extra items you wanted to get when. TP was more of a linear game (not the only one) which I don't think linear fits zelda since its been free roam do whatever since day 1. An example in TP is fairly early one you can't progress to the next level unless you fail at trying to climb the mountain. You can't get the wrestling match with the mayor unless you fail which is annoying. If this was OOT or MM you would have been able to save much more time as a reward for exploring yourself instead of waiting for the game to help you out via the story

escro

Smash Ace
do we know yet if there's a collectible system in SS?
i mean like skullatullas and the bomber's notebook, collecting masks etc
NOT the collectibles for uprading items.
perhaps i should say "achievements" rather than "collectible"

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ummm... Wow guys this game has gotten insanely high reviews so far. Some reviewers are going as far as stating it's the "best Nintendo game yet."

I wanted to go into this game with low expectations but when reviewers are making bold statements like that...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They definitely have put in a lot of time and effort into making this game noteworthy. I am definitely looking forward to this game. I still need to buy a Wii Motion+ though.

Edit: Here are some major points made by the EDGE review.

"i) For the first time, there isnt a puzzle involving lighting a torch with a deku stick.
ii) Only 1 puzzle in the game that involves pushing a box onto a switch.
iii) Can upgrade arrows
iv) In one scene you have to chase a pirate ship.
v) A big part of the game involves "treasure hunting".
vi) Game is around 35 hours long if you only do the main quest. Sidequest's can easily make this number above 100.
vii) Dungeon design is described as "dense".
viii) On the first playthrough, they were surprised on how much "content" they missed initially.
ix) Skyloft is the "hub". However, they say the overworld is a mix between the wind waker ocean and clocktown.
x) Has the most memorable character line up in any zelda game. "

Only thing that I might dislike about the game is the "treasure hunting." Makes me think of WW.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
vi) Game is around 35 hours long if you only do the main quest. Sidequest's can easily make this number above 100.
vii) Dungeon design is described as "dense".
viii) On the first playthrough, they were surprised on how much "content" they missed initially.
x) Has the most memorable character line up in any zelda game.
These 4 got me the most excited.

Gosh I really want to finish the other Zeldas right now. Stupid homework. :(

So apparently Link and Zelda really have an obvious romance going on for the first time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcs0b2KBudA <3 the music

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Plot twist. That Zelda is not the real Princess Zelda. Just some chick named Zelda.

And that highest rated comment in the video made me lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
My personal favorite comment:

Zelda: Oh Link, i have so much fun with you:)

Link:......

Zelda: Omg you understand me so well, im so glad i have a friend like you:)

Link:......

Zelda: I want you Link...

Link, getting girls without words for 25 years.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
in the case of links, just warn us that what you are linking to is spoiling parts of the game.

if you are talking about something that is a spoiler, just surround that text in
tags

what you do is

this text is spoiling something

Spire

III
BRoomer
Time has flown by though. I have a distinct recent memory of seeing "48 days remaining" on Zeldawiki's countdown timer. It is now 24 days.

Haha, if only those days were hours.

But wow, literally less than a month until Skyward Sword.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Its killing me just waiting for it. Why can't they just release it right when its finished? Nintendo likes to tease a lot. Once it eventually releases then talk of the next Zelda game will begin and again more anxiety...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm surprised some reviewers are getting the game so early to review o.O. For them to play through it a second time and everything, that means they would have had the game for at least a week.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
who knows? maybe they're just trying to build maximum hype early because of all the other big name games coming out at the same time.

i'm sure many people were convinced by Edge's review at least

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
who knows? maybe they're just trying to build maximum hype early because of all the other big name games coming out at the same time.

i'm sure many people were convinced by Edge's review at least
Well yeah, with Skyrim and MW3 (idk about any other games) they do have some competition.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ugh... the more I watch of this game, the less I want it. The art, characters, gameplay, etc. all look terrible. I was hoping that more updates would increase my excitement, but that is not the case. Zelda is just not what it used to be. :urg:

etecoon

Smash Hero
I love the art style and a lot of the gameplay changes IN CONCEPT, it looks like this game has a charm to it that zelda has been missing for a very long time. I'm skeptical to the max about wii motion controls though as they have pretty much always been terrible IMO, so my optimism is kind of dampened by that

but yeah, if it's bad maybe hackers can make it playable like they did for brawl and DKCR.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
A CC controller would completely not work with the item wheel mechanic, the different sword swings required to defeat basic enemies, the sword beam charge etc. It would only serve to make the game move slower and clunkier. This game is built around wiimotionplus. It's supposed to be the experience that we all originally bought a Wii for.

If you have to hack most of the games you are playing on a console, or hate the controller for a console, why did you buy that console?

kupo15

Smash Hero
but yeah, if it's bad maybe hackers can make it playable like they did for brawl and DKCR.
Yes, DKCR was unplayable w/o hacks. True story, I couldn't figure out how to roll when I first picked up the game until I switched to the CC code and found out within seconds...yea

A CC controller would completely not work with the item wheel mechanic, the different sword swings required to defeat basic enemies, the sword beam charge etc. It would only serve to make the game move slower and clunkier. This game is built around wiimotionplus. It's supposed to be the experience that we all originally bought a Wii for.
I don't see how it can't happen, although I can see how it might be harder than converting original wii motion controls. But I don't see why they cant just switch the motion triggers and replace it with buttons/joystick values..but idk that much about hacking. Also, lets not forget that if you were to put this exact game (basic enemy behavior and all) into OOTs engine, it would still work out fine! You had vertical, horizontal, diagonal slashes in both directions so this wouldn't be a problem at all. This is judging from what we've seen so far so maybe some things won't work w/o motionplus but I seriously doubt it)

There isn't anything that motionplus brings that can't be done with a normal controller except to make things more clunky.

If you have to hack most of the games you are playing on a console, or hate the controller for a console, why did you buy that console?
Because myself like many other people didn't realize how gimmicky and terrible this new concept for a console would be. I was tricked just like everyone else. I'm certainly going to give the default controls for SS a chance but if the hackers find a way to implement a better, more traditional control scheme I will get it asap.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Not once have I heard someone complain about DKCR. You guys are nuts.

@Buzz - sorry to hear about your disappointment. I am entirely excited for this game. I am not disillusioned by the fact that it is a new Zelda either—I want this art style. Everything seen so far has struck gold; what the developers have chosen to implement goes without criticism. I adore every aspect of the game seen so far. Such attention to aesthetic, lore, and overall experience: it's going to be a huge success.

Edit: LT, you know just about how much I've spoiled SS for myself. With that being said, I've kept away from news for the most part over the past month. I know you're a spoiler-free kinda guy (lolnotreally), but you posted that link so I am curious. Should I click it?

kupo15

Smash Hero
LuigiToilet said:
that's melodramatic. DKCR was not "unplayable" in any sense, unless your wiimote was broken. A slight wiggle of the wrist is not a world of difference from a button.
Ok, so maybe DKCR wasn't unplayable, but given how important rolling was to the game, the frustration level of rolling by motion would be enough to not play the game. And a couple of things.:

1. Its wasn't a simple shake of the controller, it was actually a more vigorous shake then you are making it out to be. I died unnecessarily because the motion wouldn't register. So yes, assigning roll from shake to button made an enormous difference in gameplay for me. Maybe you should give it a try if you can.

2. Motion controls is automatically slower and clunkier then pressing a button. Period. Take the new bow and arrow for SS. Is it quicker to shoot an arrow in OOTs traditional controls or in SS's new motion controls?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think a better example would be the bow from SS and the bow from SS if it were controlled with a regular controller. From what I remember, the bow in OoT wasn't very good and took a bit to get going.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Is quicker better though? I'd rather play with a responsive new control mechanic than classic button input. Is there something wrong with evolving how we play games?

:phone:

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think a better example would be the bow from SS and the bow from SS if it were controlled with a regular controller. From what I remember, the bow in OoT wasn't very good and took a bit to get going.
What do you mean? Are you talking about animation? If given that the animation time is the same, its far quicker to press a button to activate the bow shooting animation then it does to draw your arm back.
Is quicker better though? I'd rather play with a responsive new control mechanic than classic button input. Is there something wrong with evolving how we play games?
:phone:
Yes, quicker and more responsive is better and it is more immersive. There is nothing worse than not having something happen due to poor controls. Play Value said something awesome and I really stand by this quote:
"You know when the controller is doing its job when you don't notice it."
Idk the exact quote since the video isn't up anymore. But yea, a good controller is one that does what the player wants without the gamer knowing that they are holding a controller. Its the unsung hero of gaming.

If however there is a better new responsive controller then sure I guess it would be better. However, the wii has not demonstrated such a controller. Maybe SS will but that is yet to be seen. I think the Motion+ swordplay is going to be more tolerable then TPs sword play. I've also brought up this idea several times before but the only way I see motion controls working and catching on specifically to this Zelda game would be if you removed the ISS. Think about it:

-Selecting the item you want to use then use a clunky motion to activate it == pointless
-Having the game recognize your motion then auto select the item registered to that motion AND perform it == now we can start negotiating here.

Top Bottom