• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Miyamoto actually said it himself that it should be the greatest Zelda game yet. He even "possibly" joked that if its not, hes ending the series......also Zelda 2 wasn't the worst anything what so ever. No such thing as a bad Zelda game. Haters just be hatin' cuz its difficulty made them rage. Its definitely the hardest Zelda game but not the worst. I'm only stating my opinion and the fact that it is indeed the hardest Zelda game so don't bag on me about it.

ITS ALL LEGIT!

etecoon

Smash Hero
a lot of people hype their creations as being their best ever even when it isn't

skyward sword does look to be a step above TP and WW at least though

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I don't remember Miyamoto ever hyping a Zelda game before though. Just look at OoT. Maybe we could have something here. Only one way to find out.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Something about swapping out the A and B buttons to solve puzzles doesn't feel like zelda to me. Minish cap was pretty good but I lost interest at the end and never finished it.

escro

Smash Ace
so according to wiki, SS will be released in europe on the 18th, america on the 20th, japan on the 23rd and australia on the 24th.
so what im wondering is why japan gets it 5 days later than europe when it was created and developed in japan?
ie why is japan not first to get it?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Pre-ordered the collector's edition or whatever it's called about a week ago. Was gonna post then but I was banned lawl.

So excited.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, if you pre-order the collector's edition you get the collector's edition.

etecoon

Smash Hero
so according to wiki, SS will be released in europe on the 18th, america on the 20th, japan on the 23rd and australia on the 24th.
so what im wondering is why japan gets it 5 days later than europe when it was created and developed in japan?
ie why is japan not first to get it?
NoE wasn't content with just kicking NoA's *****....

escro

Smash Ace
how long does the preorder period go for?
i want the collector's edition but i havent been able to preorder yet and now i'm getting worried that they'll run out/stop the preorer run.
=(

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
so, you didn't actually play them.
I did better than play them. I beat them. Decent soundtracks, passable game design and thoroughly amusing cutscenes came together to make a game which might be called "above average". The third one I haven't played and have no intention of judging until I do.

In my eyes Spirit Tracks is only marginally better than the CD-I games.
Spirit Tracks is far better than the CD-i games.

To sum it up

Worst 2-D Game in the series : Zelda 2
Worst Handheld Game in the series : Phantom Hourglas
Worst 3-D games in the series : Twilight Princess
Well I thoroughly disagree with the first, and if what you're saying there is that Twilight Princess is worse than Phantom Hourglass... well that seems pretty ridiculous.

Also just "preordered" Skyward Sword (not exactly a preorder but basically works the same way, just no initial deposit).

escro

Smash Ace
Yea, i heard about it before as well but i was one of those that were fooled into thinking that there was leftie and righty config.
So like, does link hold the sword with his right hand or what?

:phone:

escro

Smash Ace
err,, sorry. i havent played TP (YES I KNOW I DESERVE TO DIE)
so i have no idea on how they did the left handed/right handed thingy.
but when i get round to playing that after my exams ill be doing so with the gamecube version, so its should be fine...... i hope.

Spire

III
BRoomer
There is no problem with Link being right handed now. Goes to show that Ninty doesn't care much about Link as a personality; his fundamental traits change with time. When motion control is implemented, new approaches are factored into the architecture of that which you control, hence Link adopting the right-handedness of the public majority. When Link is controlled by button inputs, he's a lefty. I liked how OoT3D's MQ mirrored the world making Link a righty; it was a nice nod to TP.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I understand the "most people are right handed so make link righty!" thing but then they went and stole WSR's bow controls which makes no sense, you use your dominant hand to draw the string of a bow back, would've been better of with TP's simple point and click for ranged weapons

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. Seeing as how most people unanimously agree that SS's controls are flawless (for their scope), I doubt you'll be disappointed when you actually play it. Just wait and see.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't even notice crap like that, lol, let alone get bothered by it.
Besides it visually being awkward to look at, it isn't "nitpicky crap" actually. The left handed nature of Link made a difference in Lttp's combat system. A lefty vs a righty meant that it was harder to hit them because their sword always got in the way. It didn't play as big a difference in the 3D games but being able to do a left handed outside side swipe made hitting stalfos a little easier.

Also, since SS is priding itself on being a 1:1 combat system and more complicated swordplay, the handedness should definitely play a huge factor.

Righty vs Right =/= Lefty vs Righty

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You're gonna have to elaborate what is awkward to look at about a right handed swordsman. Or, correct me because I must be misunderstanding you there. What is awkward to look at, exactly?

What you are talking about with LttP in regards to combat does not hinge on the fact that Link was left-handed, but that the enemies were simply different-handed than he was. Valid point, sort of, but the same thing could be accomplished very easily with a right handed Link.

I agree that, with SS, the left-handed Link complaint is finally viable, but I've been hearing that complaint for long before SS was announced. Especially in the 3D games where nothing in the game requires any specific type of sword slash.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Everyone just deal with the fact that Link will right handed in SS. Yes probably becuz most people are right handed in the first place. I understand its gonna be awkward playing left handed as a right handed swordsman.....

escro

Smash Ace
well for me, its not to do with the gameplay functions as much as it is to do with link as a character.
he was first introduced in the games as a leftie, so i thought it would be natural to work around that rather than changing it completely just to make the game easier. i guess i was wrong.

having said that, i understand that there really isnt much i can do about it and the righty majority does play a big part in it... unfortunate for lefties

oh well

etecoon

Smash Hero
Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. Seeing as how most people unanimously agree that SS's controls are flawless (for their scope), I doubt you'll be disappointed when you actually play it. Just wait and see.

I've heard much less flattering impressions of it myself, it seems to be professional reviewers mostly that "unanimously agree that SS's controls are flawless"

and those people were claiming that the controls were perfect even before jimmy fallon epileptic seizured his way to victory, so if that's been fixed since then we can't really take their word for it to begin with

oh well, game will be out next month anyway so no point relying on second hand accounts, HYPE

kupo15

Smash Hero
You're gonna have to elaborate what is awkward to look at about a right handed swordsman. Or, correct me because I must be misunderstanding you there. What is awkward to look at, exactly?
Its awkward in the same sense that traveling East to go to Gerudo Valley in TP wii was awkward. Not that I consciously knew this at first, but the whole game felt awkward being mirrored. In any case, this point is purely preference. Whenever you establish something that's been around for a while and change it, its going to be weird. I didn't know Link was left handed until around TP wii. I was playing and something just seemed off about this Link until I found out. It is trivial but its more of a principle and character trait that was cool.
What you are talking about with LttP in regards to combat does not hinge on the fact that Link was left-handed, but that the enemies were simply different-handed than he was. Valid point, sort of, but the same thing could be accomplished very easily with a right handed Link.
This is very true. Right handed Link vs left handed enemies. However I don't believe your point was about (specifically) what a "left handed" Link brings to the table but rather that whatever handed Link is is completely pointless which isn't exactly the case as I pointed out.

I find it interesting that to my knowledge there are no left handed enemies in the game (Dark Link does not count) which makes Link's left handedness all the more special. That sort of variety could have been a neat feature in the game. I wonder if SS will change this but I sorta doubt it.
I agree that, with SS, the left-handed Link complaint is finally viable, but I've been hearing that complaint for long before SS was announced. Especially in the 3D games where nothing in the game requires any specific type of sword slash.
Yes, the game's never required a specific sword slash but that doesn't mean his dominant hand did play a factor. It's the tiny details that make games amazing and interesting. It's just sad to see this detail go to the grave.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
OoT was on the N64, so I don't think it's a fair comparison on the grand scale of things. A better comparison would be Wind Waker or TP.

With that being said, while I did do all the side quests in OoT and Majora...WW and TP just turned me off for one reason or another. Not saying I neglected all the side quests, but I didn't make an effort to get every single heart piece.

escro

Smash Ace
nono i meant like
pre release, skyward sword has been said to take around 35 hrs to complete, and just curious how long the other games were announced to have to take
obviously they arent that accuarte but a rough idea would be nice for very rough comparison

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I was looking at various forums, and I'm hearing somewhere around this for most responses: "Took me 15-20 hours to complete the main story and about double to 100% complete"

Twilight Princess was a little fuzzier, but I was seeing people say it took 60 hours to 100% complete the game. I'm pretty sure I beat it in less time though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
IIRC, the only game to have that was Majora's Mask which wasn't a time counter as much as a "where are you in the cycle" counter.

I could be misremembering, but I think most of the games just display the amount of times you died.

Top Bottom