• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't feel any of us have the right to complain about Skyward Sword. You're gonna buy the game no matter what (unless you don't have a Wii) because there's not a single deal-breaking aspect about it. You're all gonna get it and you're all gonna love it. End of story.

People begin complaining because there's nothing else to talk about due to a lack of new info. You know the game is gonna rock the world. And remember, everything seen in the E3 demo is subject to change.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
Although I doubt its going to happen, I wish that they gave us the option to use a gamecube controller.

.... and thats all I want for christmass :p

Tacel

Smash Lord
Isn't it a little silly to complain about the graphics of a demo for a game that doesn't come out for a year?

Anyway, I hope they bring back some old items like the Roc's Feather or the Magic Cape. That would make for some amazing puzzles and a possible stealth level.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Isn't it a little silly to complain about the graphics of a demo for a game that doesn't come out for a year?

Anyway, I hope they bring back some old items like the Roc's Feather or the Magic Cape. That would make for some amazing puzzles and a possible stealth level.
It is silly, but don't say that out loud or people will whine at you for being a jerk.

Also, can't Link jump and run on his own in this one? Would make Roc's Feather kinda redundant.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
Just saw some gameplay footage and I have to say that I am disappointing in what I am seeing. The graphics are too "kiddy" looking, Link literally runs around with his sword looking like a ******, and the enemies look like they came from WW.

I know you shouldn't be judging a game a year before it comes out, but you didn't see people complaining about Twilight Princess when demos were being shown. There was nothing but hype for Twilight Princess, but with Skyward Sword I can now see why people are being letdown already. Sadly this game actually looks worse than WW, no joke.

Here is the demo that I painfully watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4IM7A9c4SI

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just saw some gameplay footage and I have to say that I am disappointing in what I am seeing. The graphics are too "kiddy" looking, Link literally runs around with his sword looking like a ******, and the enemies look like they came from WW.

I know you shouldn't be judging a game a year before it comes out, but you didn't see people complaining about Twilight Princess when demos were being shown. There was nothing but hype for Twilight Princess, but with Skyward Sword I can now see why people are being letdown already. Sadly this game actually looks worse than WW, no joke.

Here is the demo that I painfully watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4IM7A9c4SI
That's because you and millions of others have been over-seasoned with gritty, dark, realistic looking games. Nintendo hopped on that bandwagon and gave you Twilight Princess, but complaints ensued. Now they're trying something different and being criticized for it. If everyone stopped complaining, maybe we'd get a Zelda that satiated as many people as OoT did. That's what they're trying to do with SS and I've a feeling it'll turn many naysayers like yourself after playing it.

Regardless, complainers ruin games. Be thankful that they're spending the time to make a truly fun Zelda experience.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
That's because you and millions of others have been over-seasoned with gritty, dark, realistic looking games. Nintendo hopped on that bandwagon and gave you Twilight Princess, but complaints ensued. Now they're trying something different and being criticized for it. If everyone stopped complaining, maybe we'd get a Zelda that satiated as many people as OoT did. That's what they're trying to do with SS and I've a feeling it'll turn many naysayers like yourself after playing it.

Regardless, complainers ruin games. Be thankful that they're spending the time to make a truly fun Zelda experience.
No, more like we Zelda fans just want the same quality as OoT or MM. That's what we are used to. We don't like the flip-flop of art direction going from realistic to kiddy.

MM was vastly different from OoT, but MM is debated as even being better than OoT. We Zelda fans do want something different with each Zelda game. We don't want Zelda games to be a clone of another like TP was. TP was an ok Zelda game, but didn't deliver the epicness of OoT or MM because they were ORIGINAL and CREATIVE.

You don't need a new art direction to be original or creative with a franchise. Just look at the trailer I linked, it seriously looks like the enemies were from WW. Admit it, this new Zelda game looks like ****.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
WW was a great game imo. What did you not like about it? Was it just the art direction?

I'm kind of confused; you say you don't want them flip-flopping on the art style, and in the next paragraph of the same post you say that you want them to do something new for each game. This game has a new art style, but it also has a new story and it even seems to have fairly different gameplay from its predecessors.

BAD

Smash Apprentice
WW was a great game imo. What did you not like about it? Was it just the art direction?

I'm kind of confused; you say you don't want them flip-flopping on the art style, and in the next paragraph of the same post you say that you want them to do something new for each game. This game has a new art style, but it also has a new story and it even seems to have fairly different gameplay from its predecessors.
I liked WW. That was a Zelda game that was better than TP IMO. TP was too.....stale. WW had an art that they knew what direction they wanted WW to go in. SS doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. It's like a mixture of WW and TP art, yuck.

I personally thought WW was a great game, but I definitely don't want the art of that game to become the standard of Zelda games in general. I want most of the Zelda games to be like MM in terms of art.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually they know exactly what they want to do with SS. Aunoma said in an interview back around E3 that the Cezanne-inspired style was chosen because it matched the deformities in enemy designs, such as enlarged heads to indicate weak points (i.e. Bokoblins).

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Iunno, Windwaker was my favorite art style, and SS ...well it's close to WW, so I like it too.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah MM is still my favorite. I'm liking the art style but I'm hoping they actually do something different with this, wind waker and twilight princess both fell into very familiar territory

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
This may have already been said but I have little hope for the new art style.

It seems like they're saying

Well some people liked WW and lots of people thought it was too childish.
Some people liked Twilight Princess but some thought it was too adult.

OOH. Let's make a game right in the middle!

Come on nintendo. Don't be sad. Just pick a direction and go with it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm going to start infracting people who complain or point out that Skyward Sword looks like a cross between WW and TP's art styles. I'm sick of it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't see it anyway, it's brighter than TP but I wouldn't really call it TP style either aside from having an adult link. and while more colorful than TP, it's certainly not WW, there is much more depth to it than WW. truthfully it doesn't really remind me of any 3D game, it reminds me a bit of minish cap and link to the past actually, it seems like a natural extension of sprite based games that themselves weren't really trying to be "realistic" or "cartoony".

after watching the trailer for SS a few more times it makes me wish more games would be like this and okami and use paintings as inspiration. okami is probably my favorite game ever from a visual perspective, in spite of being a last gen game it impresses my eyes much more than any of the newer games I've played. and this game is looking to be quite amazing too

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
My first reaction when I saw the game was that the art/designs were a WW/TP mix (which seemed cool; I mean it definitely looks cool). But then later (if you stick around long enough) you can see things that really weren't present in either (mainly the background styles). I guess it depends on how much you want to look into it.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
There was preorder in gamestop. I asked them when it is gonna arrive, and they said it's going to arrive in summer. They gave me the actual date also, I just forgot about it xD. But yeah this in Europe.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
It's funny how video game discussions go in cycles. 9 years ago, a new Zelda game was coming out and everyone was strung up on a graphics debate. On a whim, I drop by to see what's new in the video game world, and a new Zelda game is coming out and people are debating graphics. The cycle continues...

It's funny how the arguments for one style or another haven't changed that much in 9 years. In my mind realism vs. surrealistic cartoony-ness (cartooniness? cartoony Ness?) really comes down to two factors; opinion and established history. And in the end, Nintendo will ignore both, and do what they want.

Nice trip down memory lane, thanks folks.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Idk if someone had a comment like this and I sure as hell aint checking everything, but a lot of people are dissing Skyward Sword cuz of its graphics and I dont like that. Just look at Wind Waker. It turned out awesomely. People also say that this game will have nothing to do with the storyline. Obviously untrue.

etecoon

Smash Hero
if anything wind waker was received better than it should have been BECAUSE of its unique graphics, and this looks a lot better

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Anyone who was around on video game forums back in 2001/2002 when Wind Waker was first revealed will remember that it wasn't received positively at all. Everyone was calling it Celda and whining nonstop about how they had changed it from the more realistic 2001 preview video.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it had mixed reception from what I saw, but it became more positive after coming out. I really don't think the game would be as well liked as it is if it had like, TP style graphics, when you take away its unique look it's by far the worst 3D zelda IMO

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I somewhat disagree with what you're saying etecoon. You have to remember that while the gameplay wasn't exactly the best (very easy, overll + sailing), it had the best storyline IMO of any of the 3D Zeldas. The cel-shading just adds to the experience.

And the game would have been just as good (if not better now that I think about it) if it had TP's graphics and Young Link instead of Toon Link. Imagine how scenic sailing would have been... wow.

Sariku

Smash Master
I somewhat disagree with what you're saying etecoon. You have to remember that while the gameplay wasn't exactly the best (very easy, overll + sailing), it had the best storyline IMO of any of the 3D Zeldas. The cel-shading just adds to the experience.

And the game would have been just as good (if not better now that I think about it) if it had TP's graphics and Young Link instead of Toon Link. Imagine how scenic sailing would have been... wow.
No, I actually think that if WindWaker looked like Twilight Princess, sailing around would be a LOT more tedious. I loved WindWaker, and I do think that if it didn't have it's cell shaded graphics, I wouldn't of cared for it so much. The charm that Link had in his face, the way all the landscapes were and the cartoony reactions? Without that, we wouldn't have amazing videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVyLaLXmVU&feature=related

Skyward Sword looks fine. I'm more worried about the puzzles, in all honesty. With the way the items are laid out, I don't see too many puzzles which require changing items quickly to reach a certain point in the dungeon or whatever. But I'm sure Miyamoto will surprise us<3

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not a fan of WW's world being a literal grid. That killed the immersion of a true, natural oceanic experience. There is a map of the Great Sea in Tetra's cabin aboard the pirate ship that I believe must have been an early drawing of the Great Sea and its islands because it does not abide by a grid-like structure in the least and looks realistically compelling. All of the major islands/locations are still intact, but adjusted to feel more naturally occuring.

Top Bottom