• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think the purpose of having the Deku Sticks inflict more damage is so that the player has a legimate reason to use them besides lighting torches. Because honesltly, other than that I hardly ever find myself using them.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I really hope this game's release comes with a limited edition Zelda Wiimote with wiimotion plus built in. Seeing is zelda is the big reason that's happening, there's a possibility!

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
If zant isnt the main villan in this game then my theory of him being the pre-existing gerudo king goes kaput.

AngryMoblyn1881

Smash Journeyman
Why would you think Zant was the old Gerudo king?
Its kinda hard to explain but In n old thread I use to post on lead me to belive so. It had something to do with him being a twili and we gathered that twili useto be gerudo and since zant was the leader of the twili. It was alomost as if he and all his people were baanished there long ago. It also helps that he is the only male twili apart from ganondorf.
If that makes any sence what so ever. If not forgive me because I do not remember the whole thread.:(

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Yeah, that kinda doesn't make sense, considering this takes place before Hyrule has any of the societies we know, I think.

The timeline is too confusing for me to understand.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
There's nothing to do except make stuff up. When does SS come out again?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Zant was probably one of the lone male Gerudo that is born every 100 years. In that sense, he was destined to take the throne as the king of the Gerudo, but the Twili abandoned this tradition and crowned Midna the twilight princess. This is why Zant believed that he deserved to be king and usurped Midna's throne. Zant is stated as a minion of Ganondorf because Zant sought aid from Ganon, and Ganon made Zant his minion in order to escape the Twilight Realm.

@AngryMoblyn1881: I don't expect Zant to be the main villain of SS at all. Every 100 years, a male Gerudo is born, and Zant happens to be one of them, though born after the inprisonment of the Gerudo in the Twilight Realm. Perhaps in SS, we will be introduced to the Gerudo king who was born 100 years before Ganondorf.

@TheBuzzSaw: The release date for SS is not known yet, but expect Q1 2011.

Spire

III
BRoomer
My guess is that Skyward Sword's release date will either be Feb. 21 or late May.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
@TheBuzzSaw: The release date for SS is not known yet, but expect Q1 2011.
Given Nintendo's history, I don't think anyone knows what Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4 even means. As far as Nintendo is concerned, Q1 = Q2 = Q3 = Q4. They just have some PR person step out at the last second and announce, "Oh, it's been pushed to Q3."

I suppose we can expect SS possibly before 2011 ends.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Q1 seems a bit hopeful, especially the February guess. But if they prove me wrong, I'd be happy with that too.

:034:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman

OK, I've been browsing the artwork more often and I just noticed that Link is depicted as right-handed. I was wondering what Link's dexterity would be for Skyward Sword since Twilight Princess had him right-handed on the Wii version to fit the nature of the Wii Remote. Apparently, Skyward Sword still has him right-handed and preserves Twilight Princess's hand orientation, which is beginning to bug me. Yeah, it's a minor thing... But still, Link has been known as a lefty for quite some time now, and I dislike how a videogame console accessory is changing his dexterity on the console games (for now, at least). Honestly, when I began playing Twilight Princess on the Wii, I didn't even notice the "flipped" feature (which was intended to cater to most right-handed players, it seems) until I read about it elsewhere.

Since my left hand is more dominant when participating in motion activities (aside from writing), I just slipped the Wii Remote/"sword" in my left hand with the Nun-chuk Attachment in my right, and commenced attacking foes. IMO, it doesn't even make a difference in gameplay. Though I'm wondering whether there will be an option in Skyward Sword to "flip" the dexterity to cater to left-handed players...

kupo15

Smash Hero
I doubt it. And yea, it makes no sense why the game was flipped since there was no 1:1 motion tracking in TP. It doesn't matter what hand you put the sword in.a

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

OK, I've been browsing the artwork more often and I just noticed that Link is depicted as right-handed. I was wondering what Link's dexterity would be for Skyward Sword since Twilight Princess had him right-handed on the Wii version to fit the nature of the Wii Remote. Apparently, Skyward Sword still has him right-handed and preserves Twilight Princess's hand orientation, which is beginning to bug me. Yeah, it's a minor thing... But still, Link has been known as a lefty for quite some time now, and I dislike how a videogame console accessory is changing his dexterity on the console games (for now, at least). Honestly, when I began playing Twilight Princess on the Wii, I didn't even notice the "flipped" feature (which was intended to cater to most right-handed players, it seems) until I read about it elsewhere.
dude, who cares? who cares which hand a videogame sprite/collection of polygons swings its sword with?

but you do have a legitimate point with gameplay issues left-handers might have.

kupo15

Smash Hero
It kinda played a role in the snes game actually not sure if it did in the N64. In the snes you were left handed and they were right handed. It made sword fighting a little more difficult.

Brawler17

Smash Cadet
It personally bugged me that he was right handed in the Wii TP (yes i noticed right away because im a nerd like that >_>)
i prefer him to be left handed just because that's the way he has always been pretty much.
but that's just my opinion.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I hope the player is given a choice whether Link is right or left handed. Zelda games are designed so that the player feels like he/she is the main character, so customizing the dominate hand would be logical for this reason and the fact that many left handed players would be dissapointed if the game forced them to use their right hand for controlling the sword.

Masky

Smash Master
Aonuma said before in an interview (about TP) that creating a choose-your-handedness feature would basically result in two entirely different versions of the game, and that they wouldn't do that for such a small feature.

And if Zelda games are designed so that the player feels like he/she is Link, and only one handedness is available, making Link right-handed is the obvious choice since more people are right handed than left.

kupo15

Smash Hero
or we could remove the motion controls and go classic which will make this a non issue. Looks like Nintendo is giving lefties the middle finger. You have been betrayed by one of your own lefties lol.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
or we could remove the motion controls and go classic which will make this a non issue. Looks like Nintendo is giving lefties the middle finger. You have been betrayed by one of your own lefties lol.
I wouldn't assume that. Nintendo hasn't stated whether they're going to include a left-handed feature yet.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okay so you're all for degression. Be thankful that they're doing their absolute best to bring you what they deem the pinnacle of the Legend of Zelda experience. God **** how can people complain? If you want to out-do Nintendo, then go put yourself out there, do what's necessary to work on video games and see what happens. That's personally on my agenda. I love Nintendo, and I totally appreciate what they've done for me, but I seek so much more in gaming even within the Zelda franchise. I absolutely love it for what it's worth, but there's still room for a lot of expansion without selling out.

kupo15

Smash Hero
What they deem the pinnacle of any gaming experience doesn't coincide with what I deem to be the pinnacle gaming experience anymore. I'm still prob going to buy it anyway but its still frustrating nonetheless.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
dude, who cares? who cares which hand a videogame sprite/collection of polygons swings its sword with?

but you do have a legitimate point with gameplay issues left-handers might have.
Well, some of us do (more important now with the announced 1:1 motion controls for Skyward Sword). And apparently Nintendo especially does, considering they flipped the whole freaking game (Twilight Princess) for Wii compatibility (and were originally creating Link animations to cater specifically to the majority of right-handed players of the Wii), and even went to great lengths editing all of the "East/West" mentions and differences in the text/'dialogue'. And now they're even "flipping" the artwork with Wii control in mind, which goes against what has been Link's established dexterity for many years now. Yeah, things can change, but if Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword did not rely on motion controls, this wouldn't even be an issue. Link would still wield swords in his left hand, matching tradition...

It personally bugged me that he was right handed in the Wii TP (yes i noticed right away because im a nerd like that >_>)
i prefer him to be left handed just because that's the way he has always been pretty much.
but that's just my opinion.
Agreed. Personally, I think it's one of Link's ingrained features. If it didn't matter so much to his style, I wouldn't have constantly seen it being referenced in articles about him and swords...

I hope the player is given a choice whether Link is right or left handed. Zelda games are designed so that the player feels like he/she is the main character, so customizing the dominate hand would be logical for this reason and the fact that many left handed players would be dissapointed if the game forced them to use their right hand for controlling the sword.
Agreed as well. It's a bit disappointing that players who actually match Link's "traditional" dexterity may be forced to switch hands while playing the Wii Remote to align with the "majority" dexterity... :(

Aonuma said before in an interview (about TP) that creating a choose-your-handedness feature would basically result in two entirely different versions of the game, and that they wouldn't do that for such a small feature.

And if Zelda games are designed so that the player feels like he/she is Link, and only one handedness is available, making Link right-handed is the obvious choice since more people are right handed than left.
Really? Just for switching which side of Link's body the sword is held at? Strange... Wii Sports allows both right-handed and left-handed dexterity for sports; I don't know why the option couldn't be implemented as Zelda...

If they want to continue making players feel like they are Link, the developers might as well slip in a dexterity option. Even if right-handed players are in the majority, I don't see why they should get to be more "immersed" in the game than left-handed players. Left-handed players may feel like Link is just another game character whose style must be adapted to for optimal play, like several other action/adventure games out there. Personally, I think the addition of a dexterity option is one of those little features Shigeru Miyamoto would support in Zelda, as it would enhance the experience for players regardless of dexterity (I mean, according to a Twilight Princess Iwata Asks interview from Nintendo, Miyamoto even brought up the notion that Link's animation climbing vines should be different from when he climbs ladders. And there was never even a problem with reusing the "ladder-climbing animation" for vine climbing in past games! That is some attention to detail right there...). The apparent "dexterity issue" arising with the Wii Zelda games would be a perfect opportunity for Miyamoto to bring up the possibility of a new dexterity option. Not only would it allow Link's left-handedness to continue being canon, it would also allow dexterity to be a non-existent issue in terms of one's Wii playstyle. :)

I think Zelda on consoles without motion controls will feel...awkward from now on, post Twilight Princess. I mean, I haven't even played the non-motion Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker games yet, and I can already tell that the experience will be a bit strange, not having the ability to physically swing my controller around to produce onscreen, in-game results. Oddly enough, I'd rather have right-handed motion controls than left-handed console controls. I'm worried about whether I would still be able to engage in onscreen combat with the Wiimote in left-hand and the sword in Link's right hand, with the proposed 1:1 motion controls for combat of Skyward Sword, without any glaring differences. :urg:

LOL...I never knew Link's dexterity with a sword could spawn so many issues! :laugh:

Masky

Smash Master
Really? Just for switching which side of Link's body the sword is held at? Strange... Wii Sports allows both right-handed and left-handed dexterity for sports; I don't know why the option couldn't be implemented as Zelda...
They said it themselves, not me:

"It’s interesting because people say ‘all you have to do is switch it.’ But in reality, it’s really hard. You have to change all the models — you have to make two of everything. So really you’re making two complete games, one left-handed version and one right-handed version. We just can’t do that. For Twilight Princess, what we did was just create a mirror — we flipped everything. And if that worked I guess we could do it that way, but again having to create two games is not something we want to do. We just hope that people will play it right-handed." - Eiji Aonuma

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
'Tis a shame. Would prefer to try both out, as I myself am ambidextrous. On that note, hella hyped for this game. Just got a new controller with built-in Motion+ for it, though in hindsight, prolly shoulda waited until a bundle came out with this game. Oh well.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
A lot of the justification is because it appears much of the combat will rely heavily on precise positioning of the wiimote/sword. There is a lot of programming that would have to be done to apply all the context sensitive aspects of the game to apply to two opposing directions. It could conceivably done, but do you guys really want to wait even longer for the **** thing to come out?

Top Bottom