• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Smash Hero
no, we were told it could be paid with the 20 dollar venue fee. that is all plank asked for the venue fee.

what happens when u pay 100 for something and then they say it costs more so they hold ur money until u pay the difference?

walk into a restaurant. pay $5 for ur meal. they come out and say it costs more so u get nothing. but no contract was made! well, clearly no case. omg ****ing lol u ******s

also, the money was RIGHT THERE for plank to give to the winners. the fact that he immediately took it and paid the hotel is irrelevant. if i steal $ from ur wallet and then immediately spent it, is that not a crime?

no one cares too much that plank paid off the hotel with the money first. it's that he will never pay the winners back what they earned
You are ********, or blind, or trolling. I am 100% certain it's one of those.
The prices for food, descriptions for that food item, and pictures of that food item are clearly written down in the menu. And I'm not sure when the last time it was you were in a restaurant (do they not have any under the rock you live in?) but you pay for your meal after you've eaten it.

Comparing a bunch of people voluntarily giving him money to him physically taking money out of peoples wallets and spending it without their knowledge is completely ignorant.
I paid to enter the event, I got entered in the event. Service provided.

So this is acceptable? Everything's alright now?

I'm tired of people defending him every time like it's just OKAY to not pay them out.

Since when was this acceptable to do? If plank gets away with it, why would anyone else do anything different? Literally just run away with the prize money, and we can't do **** about it. This is completely and 100% outrageous for him to do, COMPLETELY. I don't care what anyone says to defend him, this is morally unacceptable and there should be realistically a punishment.
'get away with this'
yea cause everything's peachy on his end.
You're still claiming he 'ran away with the money', shut up.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
His decision making for this tournament was 100% stupid for sure. But as of right now I can't imagine him going more than a couple minutes without thinking about his situation and becoming sad so I feel some sympathy for him.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Now here i can agree with you.

He may have put a little to much trust in the community, i'm sure it was out of the love he has for the game, and the fellowship with the community. I believe he had no ill intention, and wanted this to be the greatest tourney ever. He may have set his sights to high, we just have to understand we can't leave him with all that debt over a game that majority of people who were probably there just attended to have fun and then leave him to clean up by himself when he set aside time for all of us to get together and have fun.

Just my thoughts though.
now we on the same page.

and the rate this thread is going im just waiting for someone to post something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Rz7hXcoBs&feature=related, in which case i will lol immensely.

DJRome

Smash Hero
The prices for food, descriptions for that food item, and pictures of that food item are clearly written down in the menu. And I'm not sure when the last time it was you were in a restaurant (do they not have any under the rock you live in?) but you pay for your meal after you've eaten it.

Comparing a bunch of people voluntarily giving him money to him physically taking money out of peoples wallets and spending it without their knowledge is completely ignorant.

'get away with this'
okay, man my bad.

everyone, donate to my help armada fund. i will buy him a lollipop when he gets here. service provided. i mean, no details or contract, right?

ADHD

Smash Hero

'get away with this'
You are the worst and need to stop defending him with a handful of others.

Get it in your mind that he promised prizes for a large-*** national tournament and DIDN'T PAY THEM.

It wouldn't have made a difference to me whether he stole it or not.

swordgard

Smash Hero

'get away with this'
Your missing the point. Doesn't matter how he is doing, he promised top 16 melee payouts, and didn't give it.

CY

Smash Ace
His decision making for this tournament was 100% stupid for sure. But as of right now I can't imagine him going more than a couple minutes without thinking about his situation and becoming sad so I feel some sympathy for him.
I try to feel sympathy for him but I just can't until he pays what he owes. He made no indication that some(I guess all lol) of the money would go just to pay off the venue. He also made it clear that everything was fine and he was prepared for everything. Obviously he wasn't letting everyone in on what the actual situation was, so I can't really sympathize with plank. Sure, it really sucks for him but that's what you get when you take a huge risk with no plan if it backfires.

Good riddance.

KageMurphy

Smash Master

'get away with this'
I'm beginning to think your username reflects your IQ.

Pi

Smash Hero
okay, man my bad.

everyone, donate to my help armada fund. i will buy him a lollipop when he gets here. service provided. i mean, no details or contract, right?
Uh...no, the details are that I give you money for the armada fund, and you buy him a lollipop.
If you do not buy him a lolipop, then I'll sue you.

I'm not responding you to any further, I felt like an idiot typing the above.

You are the worst and need to stop defending him with a handful of others.

Get it in your mind that he promised prizes for a large-*** national tournament and DIDN'T PAY THEM.

It wouldn't have made a difference to me whether he stole it or not.
he promised prizes for a large-*** national tournament
1) He did not
2) There was no stated prize. If he gives the winners each a cookie would his service then be fufilled?

Your missing the point. Doesn't matter how he is doing, he promised top 16 melee payouts, and didn't give it.
Where.

I'm beginning to think your username reflects your IQ.
Are you by chance offering tutoring services? I feel like I could really benefit from your knowledge and creativity.
You know, if you're not too busy working at nasa or the NSA

shanus

Smash Hero
Anyone criticizing Plank's current actions should take a step back and ask what they would have done. I doubt you would take 30K in debt and legal charges vs alienation of a video game community, but choice would fall in your hands.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Uh...no, the details are that I give you money for the armada fund, and you buy him a lollipop.
If you do not buy him a lolipop, then I'll sue you.

I'm not responding you to any further, I felt like an idiot typing the above.

1) He did not
2) There was no stated prize. If he gives the winners each a cookie would his service then be fufilled?
lol ur just proving my point. if i open a fund saying im helping armada, then people donate 1000 dollars. then i buy him a lollipop. yes, technically i fulfilled the service since there was no express contract, etc to say i had to buy him a plane ticket or whatever, but it would hardly be okay to simply say, well, i will simply buy him a lollipop and that will be his "help"

much like the "cookie" or "experience of the tournament" is insufficient as a prize to the winners

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I'm seriously beginning to think 3 is some sort of troll that got payed by Plank himself to defend him, seriously shut the hell up and learn to ****ing read you illiterate moron. He promised to pay top 16 in melee, it's in the OP.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Anyone criticizing Plank's current actions should take a step back and ask what they would have done. I doubt you would take 30K in debt and legal charges vs alienation of a video game community, but choice would fall in your hands.
lol? So he did the wrong thing. I took a step back, its still wrong.

I have a cached version of the thread to show he said he was going to pay top 16, want it?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I tried to tell everyone Jon wasn't stealing, *sigh*

I'd be livid if i won and didn't get any money. But now what can we do? Plank made multiple bad decisions, and we're the ones who ended up with the bad consequences of his actions. Unfortunately, that is how it goes in life sometimes. It's not right, fair, or anything else good, for that matter, but it's how it goes.

Legal action won't get you anywhere in this situation. You're looking at about a years worth of legal fees to get his pay docked to pay you all back, and then he can slowly pay you all back based on a term set by a judge, paying not just US residents, but 3 international players as well. That's IF the judge deems this a worthy case of breaking the law (he/she won't.) Edit: Using the old cached thread wouldn't matter, he could say he payed them $0. Legal action is a waste of time, especially if you are international.

So we'll all have to sit here and deal with this mess. I personally am upset that I also was basically deceived in hyping his event for no reason whatsoever. But all I can do is run my own stuff going forward and do it better myself.

Seibrik, Ally, ADHD, Anti, Mew2King and ESAM, please PM me when you get a moment. If you read this or name search it.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Yeah, post that please.
More proof that Plank is trying to ****ing hide his lies, everyone involved in the incident should just sue him. No mercy.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
The grave flaw was not the action he took at the end, it was the fact he took risks that failed and got him into that position.

-Ran

Smash Master
I wouldn't have signed the contract with the Hotel as a personal liability. I'd have made a business [LLC] to handle my Smash tournaments that required any potential personal risks. Thus, I wouldn't have been in his situation.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I have to say that I agree with this. Sound reasoning.

Plank ****ed up on his financial decisions and ended up with an ultimatum. Coming from a perspective of having a lot of actual expenses and bills to pay, I can empathize with Plank's final decision.

Hmm...take a major blow of 30k in debt from a large and legitimate company (with a legally binding contract involved)...or face the wrath of a bunch of angry gaming nerds for a third of that amount (with no legally binding contract involved)? Only a complete ****** would choose to appease the second under any circumstances. I think you guys are giving far too much credit to morality over one's own survival instinct when they're in a big pinch.

Plank looked out for number 1, plain and simple. Morally wrong in this case? Yes. Best choice he could have made in his situation? Financially speaking...also yes. I can't really blame the guy though. It's whatever.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Laijin should just stop posting, forever.
funny you should mention that, in regards to this whole debate he has posted (spread out over a few threads) several times that he's done, and this is a waste of his time and he's going to stop posting.
what conviction, where you at laijin

Pi

Smash Hero
http://www.gigablast.com/get?q=pound+v+smashboards&c=main&d=132162237410&cnsp=0

Its a cache on jan 2nd. No other search engine has it any old ones, only 1-2 days ago recent one, making em useless.
Payouts:

I will pay out depending on attendance. Melee will be paid out at LEAST top 16 for singles, top 8 for teams, hopefully more.
Well there it is, the grounds for suing plank, he promised to pay out at least top 16. So until he gives each and every person at least $0.01 he's in debt to us. You got me.

-.-

Honestly that wasn't even worth posting. I never denied the fact that the winners were right to expect a prize from winning the event, but the fact is that nothing concrete was mentioned about it (aside from this lil tidbit that doesn't go into specifics and is meaningless if anyone was trying to bring this to court).

funny you should mention that, in regards to this whole debate he has posted (spread out over a few threads) several times that he's done, and this is a waste of his time and he's going to stop posting.
what conviction, where you at laijin
finally being done with the thread?

I'm seriously beginning to think 3 is some sort of troll that got payed by Plank himself to defend him, seriously shut the hell up and learn to ****ing read you illiterate moron. He promised to pay top 16 in melee, it's in the OP.

It is not in the OP. It was at one point in the OP apparently, but unless you're implying that I'm not illiterate but incapable of time travel then I have basis to disagree with your accusation.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Plank is known Melee host...

Let's say if... Keitaro ****ed up like this, All the melee heads would bash the **** out of him.

Don't even deny that because all of you know its true.
why would they even complain about this if theyre too busy playing melee instead of brawl?

whatthe****areyouposting

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
It's actually not dumb at all, it sends a message to other TOs that the community is not going to tolerate them stealing our money, discouraging TOs from making ******** decisions like Plank's is better than having everyone scared to enter tourneys because the TOs may run off with their money.

As for what good it would Plank has a job, so he must have some money. The courts can commandeer his pay check so that he has to pay back everyone little by little from his job. Really is we let Plank get away with this then what is to stop other TOs from stealing our money and claiming faulty planning(not even bad luck) got in the way?
There's no grounds to sue, actually.

as a pre law major, and someone who works in finance, since he ended up in debt you can't call it fraud, there was no prize guaranteed, and there's a contract with the hotel and not the participants.

Everyone's mad at plank, and he's worse off than anyone.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
More proof that Plank is trying to ****ing hide his lies, everyone involved in the incident should just sue him. No mercy.
woah there sparky.

That isnt "more proof" of plank trying to "hide his lies", those people aren't even plank, and anything they say is speculation at best, not "proof".

its one thing to be mad, its quite the other to be dumb.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
The prize values were based on a calculation of my own of $15 entry and 152 entered players. I didn't know he wasn't going to pay those positions, so that is really completely invalid as he didn't list the payouts himself. Duh.

Pi

Smash Hero
Brawl had prize values in the results threads.
Posted by tant and not by plank. Quick everyone sue tant, he put a number next to ally's name.

as a pre law major, and someone who works in finance, since he ended up in debt you can't call it fraud, there was no prize guaranteed, and there's a contract with the hotel and not the participants.

Question because I was trying to look it up myself
Are you basing grounds (if he hadn't ended up in debt) on what the laws are regarding gambling? Or are there laws surrounding games of skill? I found some information regarding gambling payouts and such, verbal contracts & whatnot, but I couldn't find any regarding games of skill.

The way it looks to me is that something like this is/has to be handled inside of the community involved.

v it really is a gem isn't it.

BigWenz

Smash Ace

uhh justin u might wanna edit that. thier actually was a prize guranteed. swordguard kinda proved that point.

Pi

Smash Hero
uhh justin u might wanna edit that. thier actually was a prize guranteed. swordguard kinda proved that point.
Said payouts to top 16 min.
Not how much or where the money was coming from, or even what the term 'payout' implied.
There is no case.

I'm done posting, it's about that time where old invalid points keep getting rehashed repeatedly until the thread digresses into a giant flame war and gets locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom