• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Really. You 100% mean that.
You absolutely do not care about the reputation of the community?
Admittedly, more people on the outside looking in would not agree with the discussion made so its not like the communities rep would be all peaches and cream either way. I say this because if people knew there was a possibility this could happen then the attendance would not of been what it was, people had a right to know b4 hand what could possibly happen to money they were handing over.

I seriously suggest TO's add disclaimers to their events so if this was to say, ever happen again it would be, umm, less of a surprise? lol

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Nail because of Justice? Nope. We take the nail off by offering justice, that's what it really is. Let us even once, just once, to experience justice in these kind of situations.

DJRome

Smash Hero
smash is what we are to it. we let it house criminals, it will breed crime.

smash already has 0 chance to win over any other gaming community. they simply don't care. do you care about the killer instinct community?

people who don't game don't even know about smash. this "reputation" you hold so dear is known only to smashers! it's a moot point

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
now people thinking that armada is wrong for assuming he would get his prize money from a tourney?

Welp...i think ive taken all the trolling i can from this thread. Reading anymore and my head will start hurting

*unsubscribe*

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
Admittedly, more people on the outside looking in would not agree with the discussion made so its not like the communities rep would be all peaches and cream either way. I say this because if people knew there was a possibility this could happen then the attendance would not of been what it was, people had a right to know b4 hand what could possibly happen to money they were handing over.

I seriously suggest TO's add disclaimers to their events so if this was to say, ever happen again it would be, umm, less of a surprise? lol
This, I agree with. Thank you KageMurphy, this is a good solution to a problem that may again happen in the future.

Flayl

Smash Hero
This 100%.
You guys are gonna put the nail on your own community's coffin.
So when should people start getting angry, your highness? 20k? 50k? 1M?

How much money has to vanish before you go "wait a minute that's ****ing stupid"

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Armada is in financial troubles right now because he spent money that he did not have.
He bought his G2 ticket before getting paid from plank, if he had waited, things would have been fine.

I am not saying this to be mean, or to imply that armada is a bad/stupid person, he is a person, he made mistakes and now he's in trouble for it. The same goes for plank.

I have sympathy for both Plank & Armada, and all the winners to an extent, but this does not meant that plank is the only person to blame here.
i cannot argue with that. however shenangans or watever is trying to say that armada assuming he was about to get paid is completely wrong which is just false. It has been established for years that when u win tournaments u get paid. simple as that. so armada is at least somewhat jusitifed for putting himself in debt since he under normal circumstances he'd have been paid and all would be well.

and even if u were to say the smashers who disobeyed the hotel rooms are partially to blame (cause they are) plank really should have planned for that. as i said before he is a seasoned TO, one of the best in fact, so the mistakes he made by someone with his experience is unacceptable to most people.

personally, i feel whenever he can, cause i realize u just cant make 10k overnight (without either stealing or lottery) he needs to pay what he owe. calling him a **** human being etc etc aint gonna do anyone any good, but at the same time people who are trying to say plank did nothing wrong must be on dat crack pipe.

CY

Smash Ace

How much money has to vanish before you go "wait a minute that's ****ing stupid"
nah man according to this Leijannmn,vn idiot it's okay because plank took a risk he shouldn't have made to make a really big tournament. it's all fine though, don't worry. just because plank INTENDED the tournament to go according to plan, that's all that really matters.

plank is in no way wrong.

Laijin should just stop posting, forever.

Pi

Smash Hero

Vanish? We know where it went and why.

Nobody has claimed that this was a small enough amount of money to gloss over, so I don't even know where your point is coming from.

i cannot argue with that. however shenangans or watever is trying to say that armada assuming he was about to get paid is completely wrong which is just false. It has been established for years that when u win tournaments u get paid. simple as that. so armada is at least somewhat jusitifed for putting himself in debt since he under normal circumstances he'd have been paid and all would be well.

and even if u were to say the smashers who disobeyed the hotel rooms are partially to blame (cause they are) plank really should have planned for that. as i said before he is a seasoned TO, one of the best in fact, so the mistakes he made by someone with his experience is unacceptable to most people.

personally, i feel whenever he can, cause i realize u just cant make 10k overnight (without either stealing or lottery) he needs to pay what he owe. calling him a **** human being etc etc aint gonna do anyone any good, but at the same time people who are trying to say plank did nothing wrong must be on dat crack pipe.
If I were in his position I would put that on myself to pay what I owe to everyone.
But then again if I were in one of the winners positions, I would handle it like PP/Hax (despite his conspiracy theory) are.
I would thank him for the wonderful tournament, the experience, the atmosphere, his time spent & devoted to running the event etc etc. and hope that he has learned from this, as everyone should.

nah man according to this Leijannmn,vn idiot it's okay because plank took a risk he shouldn't have made to make a really big tournament. it's all fine though, don't worry. just because plank INTENDED the tournament to go according to plan, that's all that really matters.

plank is in no way wrong.

Laijin should just stop posting, forever.
quit.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Once you send the message that its okay to host an event and run off with all the money, you will find yourself with alot of bogus tournaments and TOs looking to make a quick buck. Thats kind of why fines and jail exist. Punishment deters crime.

Flayl

Smash Hero

Nobody has claimed that this was a small enough amount of money to gloss over, so I don't even know where your point is coming from.
You do understand what the concept of forgiveness is right? You and Laijin say Plank should be forgiven. So when does it start to be okay to take legal action?

DJRome

Smash Hero
well, to the winners, it did vanish. and u guys say it is okay and plank owes the winners nothing. at what point is that not acceptable is his point

Renth

Smash Hero

As much as I hate to say it, you're just wasting your time. The amount of immaturity i've witnessed these passed few days are beyond sickening and I do not want to be associated with this community any longer.

swordgard

Smash Hero
There is no moral grey area. Plank owes the winners money.
Legally though, did he promise anything, have any proof?

I need armada's aim/msn/account name if possible, I have some info that could help him if he plans on suing.

chinesahh

Smash Lord
guarantee everyone who attended had a sweet time

this is ****ty anyway you look at it.

its a ****ing shame this is how the *pound* series ends, ppl not getting paid and the community (and not even prize winners) bashing and *****ing at each other

Laijin

Smash Hero
As much as I hate to say it, you're just wasting your time. The amount of immaturity i've witnessed these passed few days are beyond sickening and I do not want to be associated with this community any longer.
This.
I'm really disgusted at this community. Is this what its grown up to be?
I've lost so much respect for this community over the past couple of days.

strawhats

Smash Master
I don't even know what to say...:(:(

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet

Okay, to make it easier, what armada did was not completely wrong. However like how you stated with Plank he could have planned better. Or just waited, though we as human being fall to tradition and routine. He placed well, and figured he would get paid. A lot of other people believe this as well.

Just saying, if we were noted for not holding up that we as a community can pay our venue fees, then it may impact where we can have our tourneys held in the future. Or what kind of lodging we can get for these tourneys.

I'm gonna say that to me, most people are willing to sacrifice the life of a fellow smasher than take blows to their ego over money. Didn't know all this happened in the years i had taken a break from the game and just recently had come back to.

ShoutOut Chinesah: From K.C. Cloud

swordgard

Smash Hero
This.
As a TO, hge promised to pay top 16 for melee. Not giving it is false advertising.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
This.
Wow, this topic makes you sick? Stay off 4chan with those weak *** stomachs bros.

Legally though, did he promise anything, have any proof?
Pound 5 OP?

DJRome

Smash Hero
This.
hey, man, don't fret. ur the defender of this behavior, remember?

plank took money, forsaking the integrity of the community.

the winners want their money, ignoring the (insert rule about not *****ing at people who steal their money since it's for a tournament) of the community.

you can't defend one and not the other sir

and fine, we don't stay at 150/night hotels for playing an unsponsored video game

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This 100%.
You guys are gonna put the nail on your own community's coffin.
I have Arizona, I don't need the rest of these ungrateful *******s.

Plank did what he had to in order to pay off his dues. It sucks that he, and Armada made mistakes, but they have been made, and we as a community should be accepting, forgiving, and willing to help, not ostracizing Plank.

Legal action shouldn't be bothered with. You're going to spend more money trying to win the case than the winners are going to receive.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
In spite of all this.

Let not Curse plank, LETS HELP HIM!

Everyone! Tomorrow! Call the hotel and tell them to refund Plank for the rooms!

We know that he stole, but if we help him, there might be a pot after all. This is an injustice!

I might sound a bit silly here, but, did you see all those charges?
^^^ Plank not paying the winners that have come across the globe for a chance is bs. Hotel seemed hella greedy, and Plank knew the financial risks involved. He even posted some of them while he was trying to hype the tournament up, and he is ultimately accountable.

This is really the first thing we should be doing to help the winners get what they deserve. If this doesn't work, possible legal action and flaming should certainly be going down.

Being a T.O. takes too much responsibilty sometimes and is the most unappreciated job ever. This situation really sucks for the winners and plank.

Pi

Smash Hero
Once you send the message that its okay to host an event and run off with all the money, you will find yourself with alot of bogus tournaments and TOs looking to make a quick buck. Thats kind of why fines and jail exist. Punishment deters crime.
Plank did not 'run off with all the money', what are you talking about.

You do understand what the concept of forgiveness is right? You and Laijin say Plank should be forgiven. So when does it start to be okay to take legal action?
When a contract has been breached? When something is stolen? We all voluntarily gave him money to enter his event, which everyone who paid got to. How he chose to distribute that money was on him, granted it was logical for us to assume it would be distributed in standard fashion among the top 8 players, but this was never set in stone. It was our folly or naivety to assume that a venue & event of this size and fashion could be paid off with a 20$ door fee.

well, to the winners, it did vanish. and u guys say it is okay and plank owes the winners nothing. at what point is that not acceptable is his point
No, it never appeared. They didn't have the money, and then plank took it away from them, it was never there.

I agree almost 100% with. The ignorance, the immaturity, the general lack of sympathy or understanding for how the world works reminds me that we are just a competitive party game community.

I'll still continue to play this game as I always have, for myself, but after seeing/hearing the general consensus revolving around this event and how everyone chooses to turn a blind eye to every aspect of what happened and instead finds it easier to place the blame solely on Plank's shoulders and expect him to take a huge financial & personal hit for the good of a community that within one day turned 180 on him is so blasphemes that it almost makes me ill.

Melee Singles: $35 ($15 Entry, $20 Venue)

Right.

****ing.

There.
Entry fee = fee to enter the event. I paid it, I got entered in the event. Armada M2k, Ally paid it, they got to enter the event.

No where did it state that the prize would consist of money taken from the entry fee.

The prize could have been a bag of doritos, or a coupon to walmart, don't assume ****.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Okay, to make it easier, what armada did was not completely wrong. However like how you stated with Plank he could have planned better. Or just waited, though we as human being fall to tradition and routine. He placed well, and figured he would get paid. A lot of other people believe this as well.

Just saying, if we were noted for not holding up that we as a community can pay our venue fees, then it may impact where we can have our tourneys held in the future. Or what kind of lodging we can get for these tourneys.

i will admit that you should never assume cause it makes an *** of U and ME. plank assumed alot of things which if you go by that old adage bad things happen when you do. yes armada technically assumed things as well. however my point was that alot of planks assumptions should never of been made in the first place and had a very high backfire rate, while armadas assumptions had a very little chance of backfiring. this is why i feel their situations are different. planks mistakes most of them he should have seen coming and should of had a back up plan incase these assumptions backfired. cause lets be real here would U trust smashers to not try and fit more than 4 to a room? im not saying hes at total fault here but if i were in his shoes i definately would realize there are some rules that smashers are gonna break and plan accordingly.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hey everybody! *Pound* is back for it's finale and we are bringing it back bigger and WAY better than ever. Everything has fallen into place perfectly and we have all the supplies we need to run a perfect tournament for everybody. I will keep people updated with the most up-to-date information as it continues to unfold. Everything about this venue and how prepared we are will completely blow *Pound* 4 out of the water....
Couldn't help but notice this in the Pound OP.

DJRome

Smash Hero
no, we were told it could be paid with the 20 dollar venue fee. that is all plank asked for the venue fee.

what happens when u pay 100 for something and then they say it costs more so they hold ur money until u pay the difference?

walk into a restaurant. pay $5 for ur meal. they come out and say it costs more so u get nothing. but no contract was made! well, clearly no case. omg ****ing lol u ******s

also, the money was RIGHT THERE for plank to give to the winners. the fact that he immediately took it and paid the hotel is irrelevant. if i steal $ from ur wallet and then immediately spent it, is that not a crime?

no one cares too much that plank paid off the hotel with the money first. it's that he will never pay the winners back what they earned

ADHD

Smash Hero
So this is acceptable? Everything's alright now?

I'm tired of people defending him every time like it's just OKAY to not pay them out.

Since when was this acceptable to do? If plank gets away with it, why would anyone else do anything different? Literally just run away with the prize money, and we can't do **** about it. This is completely and 100% outrageous for him to do, COMPLETELY. I don't care what anyone says to defend him, this is morally unacceptable and there should be realistically a punishment.

Oh, Eggm, do us a favor and stfu when you weren't even involved.

Life

Smash Hero
Do I have to keep quoting myself?

Cooler.
Heads.
Prevail.

Plank is in debt to 22 people for _literally_ OVER NINE THOUSAND dollars. Expecting him to pay that off in two weeks is silliness. Assuming you don't just drop the whole thing, you'll get your money eventually.

Any more than a simple prod every so often is a waste of time and makes you look bad.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Couldn't help but notice this in the Pound OP.
Just a lie to get people to come so he wouldn't have to pay the hotel from his pocket, now that I think about it. It feels like Plank knew he ****ed up with the hotel months before the tourney and since he couldn't cancel it anymore he tried to get the most people coming possible so he could pay back the hotel. Obviously he never planned on paying the winner because he knew he wouldn't have enough, so basically Plank stole everyone's money at this to fix his mistakes.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Do I have to keep quoting myself?

Cooler.
Heads.
Prevail.

Plank is in debt to 22 people for _literally_ OVER NINE THOUSAND dollars. Expecting him to pay that off in two weeks is silliness. Assuming you don't just drop the whole thing, you'll get your money eventually.

Any more than a simple prod every so often is a waste of time and makes you look bad.
Alex strife should literally just do the same exact thing for Apex 2012.

I'm not even being sarcastic, he'll make a great buck on the side. I mean, it is unrealistic for him to pay everyone back 9 grand in two weeks, so..

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
i will admit that you should never assume cause it makes an *** of U and ME. plank assumed alot of things which if you go by that old adage bad things happen when you do. yes armada technically assumed things as well. however my point was that alot of planks assumptions should never of been made in the first place and had a very high backfire rate, while armadas assumptions had a very little chance of backfiring. this is why i feel their situations are different. planks mistakes most of them he should have seen coming and should of had a back up plan incase these assumptions backfired. cause lets be real here would U trust smashers to not try and fit more than 4 to a room? im not saying hes at total fault here but if i were in his shoes i definately would realize there are some rules that smashers are gonna break and plan accordingly.
Now here i can agree with you.

He may have put a little to much trust in the community, i'm sure it was out of the love he has for the game, and the fellowship with the community. I believe he had no ill intention, and wanted this to be the greatest tourney ever. He may have set his sights to high, we just have to understand we can't leave him with all that debt over a game that majority of people who were probably there just attended to have fun and then leave him to clean up by himself when he set aside time for all of us to get together and have fun.

Just my thoughts though.

CY

Smash Ace
Just a lie to get people to come so he wouldn't have to pay the hotel from his pocket, now that I think about it. It feels like Plank knew he ****ed up with the hotel months before the tourney and since he couldn't cancel it anymore he tried to get the most people coming possible so he could pay back the hotel. Obviously he never planned on paying the winner because he knew he wouldn't have enough, so basically Plank stole everyone's money at this to fix his mistakes.
yeah that honestly just does it for me. he could of atleast said that the money would go to pay off the hotel fees. instead, he says he's perfectly prepared with every necessity at hand.

what a ****ing joke, and people try to defend this guy? seriously?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I feel sorry for you Plank. I actually thought of multiple ways of possibly raising money to help you out but nothing seems to be possible as of now.

I wish you luck with this. Let me know if you need anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom