• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
First of all I want to thank everybody who's been supportive of me to this point, it means a ton. Thank you also to the people who gave me the benefit of the doubt, or at least can at least sympathize with the situation I am going through. It's great to know I have so many friends who actually care, you guys are absolutely amazing and it helps so much to hear the encouraging words coming from you all.

Next I want to address the people saying I am STEALING. The EVENT was not a successful EVENT as far as money goes. I took funds for the EVENT to pay off the EVENT or the EVENT would not have happened, period. I don't have funds of my own to cover the venue and the event would NOT have happened at all, so there was really not a choice like it is being gossipped around. Like I had some sort of cash for the prizes and just gave it to the hotel who was like "Hey man yea just pay us off whenever, it's no problem". No, they want the money up front.

There is nowhere set in stone that delegates where that money that comes in is going to go. You all are paying me to run a successful event, and I distribute those funds how I choose to do so. I even realize in hosting my event that the money can go towards whatever it has to which is why I put the entry fee as ONE LARGE SUM rather than split up per event/fee/etc, because it is in the end all to go towards MAKING THE TOURNAMENT AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE AT ANY TIME. The event happening at all is more important than the prizewinners being paid out. The cash was NEVER yours, it is not stealing. Prizes come after the event venue gets paid off, sorry, that's how it works. If there is not enough money to cover the event there would be no event and therefore no prizes or event. At least this way the majority of people still had fun.

I make one post and then I am BUSY and don't really have time to get back on here and keep up with everything and read it all and make a post responding to it. After more I realize there's just so much **** in so many threads I can't possibly address so I'll just make my own.

I have no legal obligation to do this but again, I'm doing this simply to clear the air and so people don't continue to say these absurd stories. Here is a listing of the charges charged to my bank account from the hotel on 02/24 and 02/25. Theres also an unlisted charge of $418 which will be charged to me as well because it was accidently charged to Mango and will be being reversed to my card FURTHER out of my OWN MONEY because I told Mango I could get him a cheap room then the hotel messed up and it's too late to fix. So yeah each of those rooms was a room I had to book or a cancellation/no-show I had to pay for. Each transaction is for multiple rooms btw.

I can understand how people could think that I should take the hit before not paying out the prizes, but I can't understand how after this long people would accuse me of just taking the money and running....that is just insulting and outright hurtful. I've done nothing but try and further this community and I've contributed so many days, restless nights, and hours into this community trying to just making sure people enjoy themselves as best as possible...

One last time, to the people who are trying to say I profited and ran away from the tournament and this was all a scheme from the beginning or some ****: **** you, **** your speculation and attitudes, and **** the ungrateful people who dare to even accuse me of such things ONE DAY after I make a post by saying I'm "running away from the community" when I simply don't have the time to devote to read the hundreds of posts and make a formulated response. I am only one person, and no matter how pissed off you are I am still only one person and only have so much time in the day to balance dealing with this bull**** and everything else in my life.

edit:: Oh and the people saying I was planning to just bail and move to California, I was planning on moving to California long ago and it fell through, I havent had intentions on doing that for months which I have vocalized many times. Again people exaggerating and saying **** that isn't true.

Moving forward I would like to find a way to pay the prizewinners, but there is nothing I can do out of my pocket. I simply don't have the money. I obviously won't be able to run more tournaments in the future and make the money back, so I am left with no options really. It was not a successful event, period. If I made enough money to be able to save the money for those prizes, I would. But If I could save up 5k feasibly I would've saved that up long long ago. I make enough money to break even with my expenses and I'm already set back with my losses.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you don't admit you are wrong in using the prize money to pay off your debts?

lol, just lol

edit: care to explain why you defriended smashers off facebook?

I even realize in hosting my event that the money can go towards whatever it has to which is why I put the entry fee as ONE LARGE SUM rather than split up per event/fee/etc, because it is in the end all to go towards MAKING THE TOURNAMENT AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE AT ANY TIME.
there were clearly options on the website to register for certain events...am I just misunderstanding you here?

-Ran

Smash Master
There is a clear distinction between venue fee and entry fee in the tournament thread. More so, there is a president based on previous tournaments you have run that would dictate how players would believe this to be handled, where Entry = Pot, and Venue = Expenses.

Legally, people have a case against you. I would really advise against further posting on the subject.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you collect money and tell people its for a certain purpose (prize money for winners), its not yours to do whatever you want with. You planned poorly and paid the people you feared more. You should be sued. To hell with all the donation efforts. Smash community needs to help the winners sue the **** out of Plank.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I understand why you did what you did plank. It sucks that you had to do it, but i understand. Most people seem to just take the holier-than-thou outlook and rage about it.

Hopefully it gets resolved in some feasible way in the near future. I am truely sorry both for the winners and for plank.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I understand now but if the money for everything(venue, events, ect) can be used towards anything the host decides then future events should have disclaimers mentioning that, I for one was unaware of that.

Glad you posted, Jon. Good luck D:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Does this mean the winners get nothing?
yes, plank is too busy living his comfy presumably debt-free life to help the winners get what they earned I suppose =/

**** this, i am just getting mad again. im gonna go chill somewhere else for awhile, and hopefully he'll have re-evaluated his position on this later on.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
**** you Plank. This conniving thieving ******* needs to be taught a lesson. I hope someone does take him to Court. Ally really should make good on his threats.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
yes, plank is too busy living his comfy presumably debt-free life to help the winners get what they earned I suppose =/

**** this, i am just getting mad again. im gonna go chill somewhere else for awhile, and hopefully he'll have re-evaluated his position on this later on.
stingers...
your sig...
is beautiful

Theftz22

Smash Lord
What an *******.:urg:

I'd hate to be around some of these people when they have an off day and don't place in the money as expected.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Did you guys even read his post? Jeez. Plank is 100% justified in everything he said in it. I support you 100% plank thank you for hosting such an amazing event I know how hard it is just to run locals and I can't even imagine how some one could have the drive to do what you did 5 times.. truly incredible thanks for your contributions to our community. I'm sorry I bugged you for the setup discount now.. at the time I had no idea that this was on your shoulders or I wouldn't have bothered you about it. Good luck.

Edit : All you people saying he needs to be brought to justice and be sued and all that are just really dumb. Thats just going to discourage anyone in the future from ever wanting to TO national tournaments again. Don't you realize that TO's do this AS CHARITY WORK!? They don't even expect to make a profit they do this all for the love of the game if you try to sue or put people in jail as soon as it doesn't workout perfectly no one is ever going to host again and you won't even have opportunities to make money off of smash tournaments. Wake up.

Edit # 2 : What good would suing some one with no money do anyway? Your not gonna get money from some one who doesn't have any + it just hurts the community so what good comes of it? Think a little instead of just raging.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah I understand everything plank, but I still don't see how you can't put aside a couple hundred dollars a month and pay everyone back in the long run. I know damn well that you're going to spend 6,000 dollars in the next few years on luxuries. But the way you keep phrasing it, sounds like you know this, but keep saying there's nothing you can do out of pocket.

CY

Smash Ace
why the hell would you run this event if something like this was possible? I mean surely you knew that something like this COULD happen... I think it's really, really irresponsible on your part to not have back-up cash or some other plan incase something like this happened. Instead, you just use these players hard-earned money to pay off your mistake.

tsk, tsk.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 47 (39 members and 8 guests)
alejandro9561, Tesh, Samochan, Plairnkk, dabuz, Fisfity, Albert., xios73, swordgard, CHAiN-ACE, CY, SleepyK, Laijin, Blunted_object10, Faab, DJRome, HolyNightmare, Mogwai, Sethlon, -Doom-, OnlyUseMeNades, Metà, Merkuri, Malcolm.O, Stratford, Punishment Divine, Redact, stingers, Hot_ArmS, Primer, GMMA ANTi, Eazy23, Dazwa

It's gettin serious again..
:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
The issue everyone has against plankk (this is for plank and pro-plank people to understand) is the fact that he took the prize money, which was rightfully for the winners, and used it to cover up HIS OWN MISTAKES.

The rooms that were never used he had to pay for, people not turning up so on, those debts are ALL due to his own incorrect decisions and assumptions.

The long story short is plank took a gamble, he lost the gamble, and covered his debts with money that was meant for other people.

He should have gone full well into the tournament knowing that if there is a failure in regards to any aspect of organization he made, that he will be the one to pay from his own pocket. I don't see why he has the right to pull money from the winners to cover his own faults.

I am waiting to see who is first to take plank to small claims, as I support that decision.

DJRome

Smash Hero
still not justified.

next time ill just go out promising people things i can't deliver on and if it doesn't work out, oh well.

you know full well what your capabilities are and if you overestimate them, don't act as if it is okay to let other people suffer for that

Eggm

Smash Hero
If plank were to "should" pay anything back it should only be for winners travel expenses and nothing more, but even that he shouldn't be obligated they still choose to come to an UNDERGROUND tournament ran by ONE MAN this kinda thing should have been foreseen as a possible outcome. Also what if these top players became bed ridden with some type of disease while there and couldn't win? You really shouldn't be traveling unless you can cover the expenses in the first place.

Also to all you brawl players again I ask HOW CAN YOU BE MAD AT PLANK WHEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A LOT OF MONEY PLAYING A VIDEO GAME IF IT WERE NOT FOR HIS HARD WORK AND DEDICATION AND RISKS HE TOOK AND PUT IN JUST FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME!? Jeez. So unappreciative.

Laijin

Smash Hero
100% justified. Plank made the right decision. Had he not paid the hotel with that money he would have been in a even deeper hole for breaking the contract which is a lot more money than the contract itself.
I don't understand how people don't really get that. You want this man to be in 30k in debt? Thats pretty selfish of you for a man who bought you such a great time and hosted this event

As for not paying the winners at all ever. He doesn't need to. There was no gaurentee that you winning the tournament 100% gaurentees you money. Anything can happen.

If you were in his shoes, you'd do the exact same thing. If you say otherwise I call bullsht.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
100% justified. Plank made the right decision. Had he not paid the hotel with that money he would have been in a even deeper hole for breaking the contract which is a lot more money than the contract itself.
I don't understand how people don't really get that. You want this man to be in 30k in debt? Thats pretty selfish of you for a man who bought you such a great time and hosted this event

As for not paying the winners at all ever. He doesn't need to. There was no gaurentee that you winning the tournament 100% gaurentees you money. Anything can happen.

If you were in his shoes, you'd do the exact same thing. If you say otherwise I call bullsht.
LOL that's probably the biggest BS I've ever heard from you, you're basically saying Plank could have scammed everyone even if he had the money.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Plank is under only as much obligation to keep his word about paying the winners as the no shows are for keeping their word about showing up.

CY

Smash Ace
You really shouldn't be traveling unless you can cover the expenses in the first place.
and Plank shouldn't be running a tournament if he can't pay his expenses. He knew what he was getting into and what could happen so no excuses.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Did you guys even read his post? Jeez. Plank is 100% justified in everything he said in it. I support you 100% plank thank you for hosting such an amazing event I know how hard it is just to run locals and I can't even imagine how some one could have the drive to do what you did 5 times.. truly incredible thanks for your contributions to our community. I'm sorry I bugged you for the setup discount now.. at the time I had no idea that this was on your shoulders or I wouldn't have bothered you about it. Good luck.

Edit : All you people saying he needs to be brought to justice and be sued and all that are just really dumb. Thats just going to discourage anyone in the future from ever wanting to TO national tournaments again. Don't you realize that TO's do this AS CHARITY WORK!? They don't even expect to make a profit they do this all for the love of the game if you try to sue or put people in jail as soon as it doesn't workout perfectly no one is ever going to host again and you won't even have opportunities to make money off of smash tournaments. Wake up.

Edit # 2 : What good would suing some one with no money do anyway? Your not gonna get money from some one who doesn't have any + it just hurts the community so what good comes of it? Think a little instead of just raging.

fact is he made a mistake and he used money that wasnt his to cover for it. this is wrong no matter how u look at it and people have a right to be mad about that. however name calling never solved anything so people definately need to chill with that.

also i dont see how this would discourage TOs from hosting events, i think it encourages TO's to be smarter bout how they plan ****.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

It's actually not dumb at all, it sends a message to other TOs that the community is not going to tolerate them stealing our money, discouraging TOs from making ******** decisions like Plank's is better than having everyone scared to enter tourneys because the TOs may run off with their money.

As for what good it would Plank has a job, so he must have some money. The courts can commandeer his pay check so that he has to pay back everyone little by little from his job. Really is we let Plank get away with this then what is to stop other TOs from stealing our money and claiming faulty planning(not even bad luck) got in the way?

Malcolm.O

Smash Cadet

Most People would not let themselves get into his shoes

True story

As a man I feel te most important thing is your word,
Seeing as plank lost that and still reacting to the situation as poorly as the people who lost money in it are.

Plank messed up Big Time, stop trying to cover up or defend him

People expected the money, PEOPLE LIKE YOU detour new comers to this community

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I'm disappointed. I really do think you should just accept that you messed up and, because of that, try to scrounge up money over a given time period to at least partially pay out to the winners (ESPECIALLY ARMADA).

That speaks for itself.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Scamming everyone is completely a different story than what has happened. I said that in the context of whats going on. Please stay on point.
kthx.
Or you can just erase your comment because it was ********. You're saying he isn't obligated to pay anyone back, context or not you're saying he is within his rights to take all the money for himself. You argue like a child.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Most People would not let themselves get into his shoes

True story
Oh I'm sorry? Did Plank stick his neck out for the community and try to make a really awesome that everyone will remember and have a good time at for no reason? So you're saying TOs shouldn't try and make tournaments very large and just play it safe. Plank had every reason to believe P5 was going to be big. It just so happens that it wasn't.

But your'e right. Most people would not have tried the same thing. Most people wouldn't take the risk to try and serve their community something better than what we're used to.

Eggm

Smash Hero
and Plank shouldn't be running a tournament if he can't pay his expenses. He knew what he was getting into and what could happen so no excuses.
What you aren't understanding is plank took this risk for the good of the community and to provide you guys with an opportunity for a really nice venue and tournament and good time OUT OF HIS OWN VOLITION. Plank did it for the love of the game never planned to make a profit (no TO does) and what you aren't understanding is that if no one does that and takes the risks than no tournaments will happen and the community will die. It was a necessary "evil".

fact is he made a mistake and he used money that wasnt his to cover for it. this is wrong no matter how u look at it and people have a right to be mad about that. however name calling never solved anything so people definately need to chill with that.

also i dont see how this would discourage TOs from hosting events, i think it encourages TO's to be smarter bout how they plan ****.
How you can not see just shows me your ignorance or stupidity. Plank obviously is a great planner as he has run many successful events before this. So what you are saying is people should only host national tournaments if they can plan better than plank? That leaves it up to .02% of the community to run tournaments left. How are we suppose to keep having national tournaments with that small of a pool of people left to run them? And then those people are going to be worried about if they mess up or turnout isn't as expected they either have to go into deep debt or get sued or arrested? Cmon open your eyes a little.

Edit : Merkuri's post ***** me i'm done I obviously can't refute this argument well played. Plank is the worst. I honestly can't even read this thread anymore after that post as I was completely destroyed and my drive to defend plank is gone.

Edit : I just have to say this here since i'm not posting anymore in this thread. The way the melee top players handled themselves in a situation where their true colors came out gives me great hope for the melee community. I wish I could say the same about the brawl top players. If the game i loved had top players with true colors like that i'd quit. PP, armada, and hbox are true gentlemen. I don't even want to hear the age excuse as all 3 of those players are young. I"m so glad I stuck with melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom