• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play 'n' Trade - NYC - Oct 18, 08 - SSBB 1v1/2v2 - NYC is back baby! - bring setups!!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
The biggest turnout and it ended up like total bullcrap. My money went to waste, and not just mines.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Basically, there was too many people, and under the original rules things would take way too long. They would seriously go on until at least like 5 AM. So they changed up alot of stuff. Pools were originally supposed to be so that you played everyone in your pool twice, in two 3 stock rounds. The top 4/10 would move up. Rules had to be changed however, so that you only played those in your pool once each, with only a 5 minute time limit. I cant tell you how many close matches ended in wins because one person had a slightly lower percentage. But more importantly, after several pools had finished, and some were still in the process, it was announced that only the top 2 would move on, rather than the top 4 as which was already denoted when people started the pools. So several who were satisfied with making the brackets because they already made top four would have their hopes shattered.

I still think alex did the absolute best he could have though, with such limited space and such an amazingly large turnout.. The only exception is that I wish they would have let us know that we had to make the top 2 rather than the top 4 earlier, and not have changed it after/during some people played their pools. But it was my first tourney, so it was cool just to get to know people.

EDIT:
One word of note, I use Wiimote and Nunchuck(and I am not a noob, I can actually play well, lol). It seems that with so many wiis in close proximity to another, there was a significant amount of interference. It felt like I was playing on Wifi with input delay and frame lag, but so also that my inputs were actually messed up. Like sideBs instead of dtilts. It wasn't teribly bad, I still managed to put up good matches despite it, but it was definately notable enough to affect my play alot. Just saying because it would be unfair for me to have to switch back to the GC remote just to play in tourney's, when I play significantly better with the Wiichuck because of my specific controller setup, and its own prowess which It ake advantage of. But then again, there wasnt much you could do about it, except perhaps make like people with Wiichuck/classic controller play on the the tv in the front or in the bottom, althought hat would be much too hard to do.

Was I the only one, or did anyone else using Wiichuck here notice it, if there is anyone else? =/

Also, for the future, consider perhaps making a person cuttoff in addition to the time cutoff for registration? And perhaps allow people that seriously want to play to make reservations? And perhaps raise entry fee a bit as well, to discourage nubs =P.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
the staff was the biggest group of bithches i have ever seen. straight up biotches. lame (not alex's fault) i love you alex (no homo). you did a great job hosting 170 people and dont let anyone tell you otherwise bro. i was in the same **** with blackwaltzx. i got f-in 3rd place out of 10 in my pool cause i went to a character i never play just to have more fun cause i knew i was top 4 anyway. then they change it last second after we finish to top 2 and i could have gotten top 2. the staff was bull****, and unprofessional *******s :)

Hasaki's Winter

Smash Rookie
Omg..THIS WAS SOOOO WACK. The owners started being utterly rude and used profanity after they recieved the money. Then to walk away with the loot as fast as possible... They disqualify the 3rd and 4th place winners from each pool to quicken the matches. BOOOO!!!!

Im not going there again. Heck no.

-Liqui

Bubbles

Smash Rookie
That tourney was bonkers, awesome that so many people showed up. The competition was as good as it gets. Only down side was 10 or 11 tvs for 170 people and that i had to play standing up all day. Props though this was a big step for the smash scene.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
There was a huge amount of great players. I wish I would have been able to play them. I was barely even able to get in a single round friendly =(

But I can't wait till the next honestly. By then I'm sure new precautions will have been taken.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
AHhH this tournament was alright i give it a 5/10
*mainly because these unprofessional azz workers told everyone that only 1st n 2nd would be able to get in the bracket*
SHOUTOUTS

Glick - thanks for teaming we did pretty good for just teaming for the first time

Blackanese - lol thanks for guiding me to the store i was lost as a mofo

Hax - nice seeing you again lol you definetly gotta get me on that melee s**t

Bengali dude - your mean -_-

Ninjalink - the commentary on the pool matches were funny

Snakeee - haha nice friendlies ur ZSS is awezum.

Dark.Pch - thanks for helping me and glick in that doubles match haha your advice worked

Atomsk - i had to prove myself xD funny guy.

J-Tails - had the hardest pool ever haha but i think you did good

Atire - nice seeing you around another one of those people i met off AIB and seen em IRL Great samus

Knightmare516 - cool guy coming to your tourny the 8th

Zen - fun talking to you next time were definitely teaming

Jash - close pool match best toon link on the east coast imo

Dire - didn't really meet you but your G&W was sick.

Alex Strife - pretty good tournament you held

i'll remember more people when i think harder
oh yeah my back and feet were killing me lol

ANTi_

Smash Hero
im so confused lol, what happened at the tourney
let me tell u a few of the cons of this tournament
- Small

- Smelly (lol)

- mean workers

- SMALL!

- they tell people that whoever places 1,2,3,4 in pools will be put into the bracket they lied and 2 hours later they say only top 2 -_-

- had no chairs

-Gave most people back problems lol

nothing to Alex strife i give him props for running this tournament but just that it was these things that made a few people upset.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Lol, just thought of it..
SO many people who had this tourney as their first will not go to any others.
I'm not sure who will show next month, but I'm durrrned shure that not as many will come.
I would love for the same turnout, however, with a different venue maybe.

What a waste of 167 people for singles.

Alex did FANTASTIC job of handling everything and I hope no one gives him any disrespect for doing this in any shape or form.

Also, pre-shout out to Alex.
(Short version)
Man, you so cool n ****.
Good hosting this. I'm glad for how well everything started to look. Keep it up, you did wonders for the community overall. Don't feel bad about me being gayed HARD in singles, my fault anyway. Wish CH4 and this turnout were switched. amirite?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Seriously. I'm impressed Alex didn't just blow up and just call off the tourney =P.

Is it even done yet? I wan't to know who came out with the serious moolah.

Anyone know who won doubles?

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
for people in who said they sandbagged in pools, shouldn't your goal be to make it out...and get a good seed. it doesn't make sense to sandbag and risk getting bum, m2k etc first or second round of bracket, when you could play an average smasher who barely made it out instead

Napilopez

Smash Lord
for people in who said they sandbagged in pools, shouldn't your goal be to make it out...and get a good seed. it doesn't make sense to sandbag and risk getting bum, m2k etc first or second round of bracket, when you could play an average smasher who barely made it out instead
For me personally it was my first tourney. I wasn't even aware of that till later on.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Not if you only have to worry about BUM as M2K wasn't there.
Yeah... I've been daired into upair combo from Ness. What of it?

Deez.

Smash Lord

I think people are just using that as an excuse lolz... they probably do try in tournies. but they just lose.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
QFT

Also, I'm glad I went to Ohio and hearing stuff about the venue staff makes me distrust NY tournaments even more. >_>;

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
QFT

Also, I'm glad I went to Ohio and hearing stuff about the venue staff makes me distrust NY tournaments even more. >_>;
That's kinda unfair considering it was venue staff and not NY as a whole. Don't distrust any NY tournaments because this is the only one I've been to where there were some real serious staff issues.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I'm not blaming Alex at all or anything like that. I'm not going to deny that 100% of the NY tournaments I've been to since late 2005 have been a disappointment to me. I love NY's players, but the tournaments always have problems. Sorry.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I know you're not, lol. I'm just saying don't just distrust NY cause of the PnT staff BS. But I understand where you're coming from.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'd trust like...something hosted at someone's house where some venue's staff won't matter. That'd be awesome. Who's rich and has a big house? :laugh:

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
first of all you ppl dont understand. Alex was not expecting a huge turnout. he figured maybe 80 ppl the most. He did his best to bring smash back to nyc and this is how u guys repay him, by saying "the staff were biotches" or "I didnt like how it ran". You guys should be more appreciative and quit your complaining. I had fun talking to other players and it was a learning experience for me. I gotta apologize for the way i played in pool 10, sorry guys my heart wasnt in it and i wanted to go home. Also i gotta disagree with blackwaltz about him sayimg that if it was ur first tourny u wont go to the next. This was mine and i will be back because to me this tourny despite of the many ppl, fun. And Alex I had fun dude dont even sweat it, and sorry about the wii thing, i wanted to go home so badly.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Um...come on now. You guys can't say there weren't obvious, preventable problems. No one should have to sit in a local tournament well into the AM, well after the store technically closed. It was a severe underestimation of how popular Smash still is, EVERYWHERE, and it would've been pretty easy to avoid it being this bad.

1. Have Singles and Doubles on separate days (they say they will DEFINITELY do this next time).

2. A higher fee to enter the tournament. With it being this low, even people who just picked up Brawl yesterday would be compelled to enter, just 'cause.

Even if the point of trying to attract as many people as possible was to help advertise the store, it ended up having an opposite effect because people couldn't even move around, no one had a chance to buy anything, and people upset with the way the tournament went won't come back out of protest.

You have to know your limits. Or your friend's store's limits.

Edit: All that said, the people there were cool, including the staff (anyone cursing people out were just playing around or trying to get people to actually shut up and listen), I did have a lot of fun, and would definitely come back with at least solution #1 being implemented.

Edit 2: Removed double post within post. Guess I was still frazzled from the day before. x_x'

Unrefined

Smash Journeyman
Things needed to be noticed earlier, Doubles should have been either cancelled, single elim or best of 1. 1v1 is more important than doubles. They did a good job, but i just left midway through pools, glad i did since i hear only top 2 advanced. Sadly i wasnt going to make that, maybe 3 or 4.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have mad people to shout out to once the results thread is up. Just wanted to get a few things out in the meantime.

Alex, I know it's what everyone's been saying, but you need to know that you did a great job. Keeping your cool under that much pressure from the owners is really something.

The owners, I'm sure they meant well and were just abiding by fire code regulations and whatnot, but kicking spectators out is not the way to go. There's more hype and people will have much more fun if they get to sit and watch their friends play their matches.

Overall it was the people that made the tournament, not the host or the venue, and though packed out the *******, the place was swarming with good personality. Definitely worth my time going. Sucks that my friend needed a ride to the train station or I would have had even more fun. =/ But hey, what are you gonna do?

Ooh and Alex, did you give me the easiest pool in the whole tournament or what? Seriously, I'm not M2K, seed me more appropriately next time. ; )

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
I think saying "1v1 is more important than doubles." is pretty biased, and perhaps just outright wrong, considering many times people will have to beg their teammates to cancel their plans, and spend money they barely have to come compete with them.

But yeah, it wasn't hard to forsee how things were gonna go early on, they could've at least said "Sorry guys, single elim so we're not still here tomorrow" and/or "best of 1 only" before the tournament started.

Maybe they were just trying to be optimistic, or desperately trying not to switch the rules up on everybody, until they finally realized they absolutely HAD to, which I can't really blame them for.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Even though there was some problems because of the over-expected population, it was still fun and I had a good time.

Ill put the shoutouts once the results thread is up, Atomsk 3-stocked my friend lmao

False Soundz

Smash Apprentice
Calm down about the Venue size, nobody expected 170 people to show. If we did except so much Alex would've probably found another venue. Which he couldn't because this was the only available one.

Next monthly will probably go more smoothly, but this one was still awesome.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Okay guys this is sort of Important.

Anyone who brought a Wii to the tourney, Check you replays for a match of a Ness against an Olimar with the final KO being PK Flashing his Tether.

That was Me versus Black Waltz, Contact me if you have it.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Like Rhyme said, you did a ****ing amazing job at running this, Alex. Sucks that you had to spend all the time behind the counter instead of getting some matches in, but honestly that was ****ing great. Hopefully the next one will be smaller or at a bigger venue.

Results? Shoutouts will be there.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thanks alot for taking all of gamingworlds attendence. I went to gamingworld yesterday and nobody came.

It was a bad day for people who can't travel.

Top Bottom