• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play 'n' Trade - NYC - Oct 18, 08 - SSBB 1v1/2v2 - NYC is back baby! - bring setups!!

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
this was my first tournament, and i personally didnt like the experience. It was crowded as hell, but who expected so many people to come, i wish i couldve stayed for singles, but then again, no i dont lol. Alex did a great job because if i was him i wouldve exploded and just cancel the tourney, soo many people

Me and Smashfox will come to the next one though, and we'll try to do our best there ^.^

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Well then, I'm sorry that other venues besides Gamingworld exist...? Seriously, it's your own fault if you can't travel. You could have just as easily found a bus/train to NYC instead of Gamingworld if you wanted to go so badly.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well then, I'm sorry that other venues besides Gamingworld exist...? Seriously, it's your own fault if you can't travel. You could have just as easily found a bus/train to NYC instead of Gamingworld if you wanted to go so badly.
My parents won't let me ride a train by myself or car pool with other people. And the most they'll drive is 1/2 hour. And I can't stay at late night tournies.

Tell me again that its my fault.

Max Ketchum

Well that's pretty ****ing gay. <_<

It was pretty much premeditated that nobody would show up to Gamingworld though. You could have saved yourself the trip and stayed home if you wanted, but I'm assuming that you won that tourney...?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well that's pretty ****ing gay. <_<

It was pretty much premeditated that nobody would show up to Gamingworld though. You could have saved yourself the trip and stayed home if you wanted, but I'm assuming that you won that tourney...?
there wasn't even a tourny. It got canceled. I was planning to win the DS, i didn't excpect anyone good to show up. but NOBODY showed up.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I didn't know this was a national tourny that had 200 people.

My dad says i'm still too young to be going to late night tournies that go till 3am. I usually go to tournys that end around 11 or ealrier.

The thing i'm concernd about is blue's battle cup tournies that will shut down gamingworld every single week leaving me nobody to play.

Max Ketchum

Lol, I'm younger than you and I've been OOS for a (supposed-to-be) 2-day event (CH4), out until 2:30 AM (XII.ESTICLE), and a few other late night "excursions". Must suck having strict parents. :/

And no, this wasn't a national tourney. It's just that EVERYONE in NYC came because it was cheap and easy to access. A good deal of the people there were ****ty scrubs.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I can't really change what my dad says can I? Even i feel unconterble with it.

I tried reasoning with blue to have his tournies every other week to give gamingworld a chance but he said no so that means i'll never get to play against good people for quite a while.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Haha, yeah, I heard a ton of people there didn't know how to / couldn't short hop xD.

Edit: Noo, dont rasie the entry fees... I might want to go to one of these later, and I'm poor =(.

Max Ketchum

A $10 entry fee makes the pot larger and discourages ****ty players from coming for a low-risk tourney.

But I'm poor too, and totally in favor of a $5 entry fee. XD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Call me an azz, cold hearted, b@stard w/e. I don't care anymore. This was such bull****. What time this thing ended? 3-4am? And they were *****ing about time? The store was wasting time to begin with. Talking about they would not finish in time and cant keep it going late. And look at what time this ended. And some TV's were not even being used when people had to leave. I had my wii on me and a few others that made top 4 in pools that had to leave. third and fourth in pools could have still played. Extra wiis could have been used for the tvs that were not being used. One match is over? call it and then get right to the next one, that simple.

This was a waste of money, effort and experience for singles. And not just for me. You can call me w/e you like cause of this post. But don't tell me what I posted is not true and I don't have the right to be pissed off. Lots of people got cheated out of their money and a fair shot to get into brackets changing the rules at the last min.

And for people who played in singles bracket, don't you dare tell me otherwise cause you people made it. If you were in our situation, you be just as pissed. I don't wanna hear it from any one in the singles brackets about this telling me otherwise.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
first of all you ppl dont understand. Alex was not expecting a huge turnout. he figured maybe 80 ppl the most. He did his best to bring smash back to nyc and this is how u guys repay him, by saying "the staff were biotches" or "I didnt like how it ran". You guys should be more appreciative and quit your complaining. I had fun talking to other players and it was a learning experience for me. I gotta apologize for the way i played in pool 10, sorry guys my heart wasnt in it and i wanted to go home. Also i gotta disagree with blackwaltz about him sayimg that if it was ur first tourny u wont go to the next. This was mine and i will be back because to me this tourny despite of the many ppl, fun. And Alex I had fun dude dont even sweat it, and sorry about the wii thing, i wanted to go home so badly.
It's a unanimous agreement between EVERYONE who went to the tournament INCLUDING Alex that the staff were a bunch of ****tards (minus one or two) who didn't know how to be a part of management and who didn't know how to socialize PERIOD! They acted like they were a bunch of HS kids ready to fight with anyone who stepped in their way. And it was UNCALLED for and UNPROFESSIONAL! You just don't act that way, PERIOD! You also don't ****ing change the rules midway, promise **** you don't deliver later on, and treat the host like crap. Alex understands how this store ****** him and everyone around as well as everyone else. And he doesn't ever plan on hosting another monthly there.

Max Ketchum

I agree with crismas. Honestly, Alex not expecting a humongous turnout has nothing to do with the staff being ****heads. It really was ****ing ridiculous what they did.

OneShotKi11

Smash Rookie
Sorry to break this to everyone but the event and all of its doings were under control of Alex. By doings i mean the switching of rules midway, the player limit, as well as the final decision to instead of taking top4 in pool play only taking top 2.
Blaming venue staff for technical tournament issues, who for the most part are only there for crowd control and the selling of their products is silly and dead wrong.
Just because Alex is a beloved member of the community does not make him immune to public scrutiny and accusations. For the most part all of the tournament decisions were left of the shoulders of Alex and enforced by the staff around him.
Any problems with the way the Event itself went, for the most part fell on his shoulders.
Any problems with staff rudeness fell on the venue and stores workers.

-Crowdedness-
This was due to Alex's decision to charge a mere $5 for entry fees. He made the claim that this is what the players wanted and it could only be done this way. I personally told everyone earlier in the week that the entry fee had to be atleast $15 to filter out casual gamers from entering. This issue i thought was resolved and agreed upon, and it wasnt until Saturday when i arrived at the store that we found out Alex reversed it again.
It could be that Alex was never informed of my complaint earlier in the week which would then put this blame on the store staff, but from my knowledge he was informed.

-Rudeness-
Yes, i agree that some of the rudeness lies with the staff, but some may also say that they (staff) were justified because of the blotched event structure and crowds inability to comply with simple store instructions and rules. (Remember this was also a business, and not just a "Venue") The gamers were asked several times to leave the store when not playing at a station, yet even with constant announcements/reminder people refused to budge. Almost resulting in a severe business FINE by the fire Department, but also an extremely loss of business for the day. They had one the lowest product sales for a Saturday that they have ever had in the stores history.
This does not justify some of the rude behavior some attendees might have experienced, and for this i personally apologize. This i promise will not be an issue in the future.

The experience that this event provided for myself, and i am sure the rest of the staff is measureless. The huge amount of smash support in this city was something we never could have expected but should have prepared for none the less. From this we will definitely be able to provide more successfully structured events in the near future. Hopefully with the support and help of the Smash community we will be able to hold better events in the near future. This event left a sour taste in the mouths of more then just the players, but hopefully that doesnt prevent us from biting a good piece of the pie in the future.

Oneshotki11/Jeremy
(Tall white kid helping run the event)

Max Ketchum

-Crowdedness-
This was due to Alex's decision to charge a mere $5 for entry fees. He made the claim that this is what the players wanted and it could only be done this way. I personally told everyone earlier in the week that the entry fee had to be atleast $15 to filter out casual gamers from entering. This issue i thought was resolved and agreed upon, and it wasnt until Saturday when i arrived at the store that we found out Alex reversed it again.
It could be that Alex was never informed of my complaint earlier in the week which would then put this blame on the store staff, but from my knowledge he was informed.
The entry fee in this thread has always been $5. There was no confirmation at all from Alex, I'm assuming. Only within the store employees. Even if he was informed of the complaint, he'd still probably want a $5 entry.

-Rudeness-
Yes, i agree that some of the rudeness lies with the staff,
Some? Alex wasn't being rude to anyone, and besides the staff, who else was in charge? Hmm...

but some may also say that they (staff) were justified because of the blotched event structure and crowds inability to comply with simple store instructions and rules. (Remember this was also a business, and not just a "Venue") The gamers were asked several times to leave the store when not playing at a station, yet even with constant announcements/reminder people refused to budge.
Doesn't mean you have to curse them out in an angry manner. I'm quite sure that you didn't partake in that personally, though (you were the only one I didn't see acting like an *******, so you have my respect).

Almost resulting in a severe business FINE by the fire Department, but also an extremely loss of business for the day. They had one the lowest product sales for a Saturday that they have ever had in the stores history.
Yeah, the fire department thing was a little ridiculous. The loss of business was almost to be expected, though.

This does not justify some of the rude behavior some attendees might have experienced, and for this i personally apologize. This i promise will not be an issue in the future.
Yeah, it really wasn't justified at all. Yelling and being frustrated is acceptable, but angrily cursing people out is different.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
The only staff I felt like knocking out was the dude in gray. The dude comes in to the store and startes cursing and stuff. When there are lil kids there. As well as CUSTOMERS. If they see all that crap from him, you think they wanna comback or spread the word about the store? Half the problem of people not going back to the store is because of that one dude. He was on period mode once he got in the store.

OneShotKi11

Smash Rookie
It's a unanimous agreement between EVERYONE who went to the tournament INCLUDING Alex that the staff were a bunch of ****tards (minus one or two) who didn't know how to be a part of management and who didn't know how to socialize PERIOD! They acted like they were a bunch of HS kids ready to fight with anyone who stepped in their way. And it was UNCALLED for and UNPROFESSIONAL! You just don't act that way, PERIOD! You also don't ****ing change the rules midway, promise **** you don't deliver later on, and treat the host like crap. Alex understands how this store ****** him and everyone around as well as everyone else. And he doesn't ever plan on hosting another monthly there.
Your perplexing outlook on who makes the ruless is actually astounding.

staff were a bunch of ****tards (minus one or two) who didn't know how to be a part of management and who didn't know how to socialize PERIOD!
The tournament was not to be managed by the staff, it was managed by ALEX STRIFE. Get it right or dont respond with sheer stupidity. Alex gave all the orders and staff inforced them!

You also don't ****ing change the rules midway, promise **** you don't deliver later on, and treat the host like crap
Let me ask you this. Does the staff member working the basement making sure nobody stays on the stairs and that no one is engaging in Freeplays have anything to do with the rules of a tournament?
Once again that falls with the man running everything. That man is your beloved Alex. If you cannot understand that then please step aside of this conversation because you are clearly out of touch with reality. Alex made the rules and decisions for everything.

Alex understands how this store ****** him and everyone around as well as everyone else. And he doesn't ever plan on hosting another monthly there.
Alex was in noway "******" by anyone from this store. Again he ran the event decided what the rules are and when they were to be switched. Also from my understanding once the event was clearly going to pass the expected and asked for time limit. The owner had already decided Alex would never be allowed to work at our venue again for not being able to fulfill his responsibilities and time limit.

I for one will try to negotiate a deal where Alex may continue to host events at PlaynTrade, but under much better supervision and rules set forth by the stores management.
Future events with with Alex will have alot more help from me personally and coordinated mainly as well as managed by myself as well, to assure a share of the responsibilities.

If Alex is to decline any future offers that is his choice, but as from my current knowledge the store no longer wants to work with him until better restrictions can be enforced.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
that is true the dude in the gray was just totally unprofessional and he went around saying
"get out of my store"
get off of my floors
im going to pull the plugs

like wtf its a smash tournament. you gotta be prepared for these things Play N Trade

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yeah.....so what were the results?
What I remember is:

Teams

1. Snakeee + Shadow
2. Bum + Atomsk (split with 1st)
3. Black Waltz + Izumi
4. Eli + Douwop

Singles

1. Bum
2. NL
2. Leo (split 3 ways)
4. Snakeee
5. Dire
6. Ninja Link
7. Atomsk
7. ???
9. Eli
9. ???

btw I got home at SIX THIRTY in the morning X_X. This was partly due to the *********** of the subway trains schedules at that time of night though. I also happened to see some guy whose head was bleeding profusely on the train. I didn't realize what was going on and I got kind of shook, and I wish I tried to help him or called 911 at least. There were people on the train though so I'm hoping they helped him.

Anyway the tourney was very unorganized and the management was out of line in the way they were treating their customers, but the turnout was still amazing. I'm hoping people that went to their first tourney here won't get the wrong idea and show up to future events...though at a different venue. I had a lot of fun though and ggs to everyone I played

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I agree with Dark.Pch, The guy comes in and starts cursing. Yelling is one thing but he didn't need to throw all those curse words around.

In recent times there seems to be a polite way to curse (Odd right?) and a rude way to curse, the guy was pretty much plain rude. Shouting is one thing but he didn't need to curse out all the people in the store. That made the staff look really bad. I feel worse for the customers, you shop at this store only to get cursed at. It wasn't cool to the smashers either, but I'm pretty sure that's like the only time most of us will be there and were there.

He also did make sure people were uncomfortable, kept telling people to stand and stuff.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
Yall are point fingers at people regardless of how people acting, ect... i find it stupid. your all acting stupid. Its somethign that happened. no one expect to have 170 people at a venue like that and this got crazy as they should with that many people...

stop point fingers and stop throwing the blame.... thats what happened and just try to helpe the problem next time...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
if I knew it was eat of one I wouldn't have came. And snakeee I got home at 7:30 but was stuck waiting 3 HOURS at the station. (No rhyme I had to transfer trains) ~_~ and I have work today.

I hated how spectators weren't aloud, I love watching two of my friends clash in tournament. Heck I like watching them play.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
The tournament was not to be managed by the staff, it was managed by ALEX STRIFE. Get it right or dont respond with sheer stupidity. Alex gave all the orders and staff inforced them!
Ah, more staff commenting back like what you wrote to me just now proves how amazing and professional your staff is. GG

Let me ask you this. Does the staff member working the basement making sure nobody stays on the stairs and that no one is engaging in Freeplays have anything to do with the rules of a tournament?
Once again that falls with the man running everything. That man is your beloved Alex. If you cannot understand that then please step aside of this conversation because you are clearly out of touch with reality. Alex made the rules and decisions for everything.
I'm sure he did "for the most part".

Alex was in noway "******" by anyone from this store. Again he ran the event decided what the rules are and when they were to be switched. Also from my understanding once the event was clearly going to pass the expected and asked for time limit. The owner had already decided Alex would never be allowed to work at our venue again for not being able to fulfill his responsibilities and time limit.
The expectations were unrealistic and ridiculous. Your staff wanted "more" than what you had last time right? I'm assuming that was about 40-to 50 people. The concept was "If Alex can't deliver more than we had last time, he won't run another event", so he got more people (which the staff wouldn't admit LOL) and then it becomes too much. Alright, so...he says "do you really want all these people" suggesting the player cap. But your staff clearly says no. The 4 to 2 limit? That was your staff. Single elim in pools was Alex. Your staff told Alex he could have all night to run the event, no time limit. Even Chris knew this and defended it. I saw the staff get in people's faces, I saw the manager act unprofessional, I saw staff talk down to him, I saw the staff's lack of concern for the players and for the smash community as a whole.

There was a lack of communication from the start. Told that we could have chairs, then turning around and saying "NO, they can all stand for all I care". There were never any issues like this at w2z. I understand Chris' point that you were under residential areas.

I for one will try to negotiate a deal where Alex may continue to host events at PlaynTrade, but under much better supervision and rules set forth by the stores management.
Future events with with Alex will have alot more help from me personally and coordinated mainly as well as managed by myself as well, to assure a share of the responsibilities.

If Alex is to decline any future offers that is his choice, but as from my current knowledge the store no longer wants to work with him until better restrictions can be enforced.
Personally I don't think he or a lot of others want to come back to your store. But I will let him speak for himself. Because last I recall many of the smashers who went to your last event for Brawl, ran by staff... I heard nothing but complaints and clear dictations that you guys did not know how to run the event. I, and everyone there were paying customers. And just because your owner didn't make as much money as he wanted to, is NO reason to take anything out on anyone.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
NL made 6th and 2nd.

What I remember is:

Teams

1. Snakeee + Shadow
2. Bum + Atomsk (split with 1st)
3. Black Waltz + Izumi
4. Eli + Dowoup (not sure how to spell) ...I forgot who Eli teamed with sorry lol

Singles

1. Bum
2. D1
2. Leo (split 3 ways)
4. Snakeee
5. Dire
6. Ninja Link
7. Atomsk
7. ???
9. Eli
9. ???
Fixed. Thank me later sir.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
9th? I got out I think the same round Eli did because snake fought Atomsk after he beat Eli and I previously fought Atomsk.. And Atomsk got 7th and Eli got 9th. So I think it makes sense for me to be 9th? Right?

I don't know though we have to wait for results I guess...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Wow. Surprising results.
Are they even legit? If it was single elim I wouldn't be sure we could take it seriously.

Judging by the time people say it ended tho sounds like it was double elim after all.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It was double elimination.

No confirmation that they are legit, we have to wait for Alex to post them.

Battlewoundz

Smash Cadet
It was a great event, just crowded. But the staff had to do what they had to do, its all good though, it was fun as hell.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey everyone,

Above all I would like to really thank everyone for the turnout. To me it was a great mix of OOS and NYC talent that really showed what NYC is really all about. What I will be saying in this post is really just a few comments and suggestions I have in general from this point forward for both that store and its staff.

The event, originally, was planned to be My event in which I was promised the following

- chairs purchased by the store
- component cables
- additional televisions provided by the store
- no time limit on the event itself

The week of the event I wanted to double check all the things I talked about during the event. First I was told very bluntly that if I did not have more than their previous tournament I was not allowed to run a tournament their again. At first I was upset about this but I later understood, to the best of my ability, what they meant by those comments. So for that issue I was ok with. From that point on I checked on the chairs ( to me THE one thing I wanted settled ) and I was told it would be picked up friday and the store, myself, and phire would split the money ( something I never had a problem with and to me it was a good expense ). A day or so before I found out this was not the case. I was told on the phone "they can f------- Stand for all I care " by the manager and when I asked the owner if I can purchase them ( mind you this would be the first time I had spoke to the owner about this ) I was immedieately scolded and told no very aburtly. To be honest it was a shock to me and Rockin, who was there also, to see this attitude I was given. So that was when I made the post apologizing for the chairs.

The day of the event I was not treated with any disrespect for a few hours. I was excited and instatic about the turnout. I could not believe I recieved so many people willing to play and it was going to be something to remeber. This was when I heard the first of three issues. The main one I was concerned with was the attitude of the staff. For that I am truely sorry. Downstairs I was told of a MLG fanboy catching attitudes and complaining about pricing and how smash was not a real game. This is hearsay but knowing the kid and his attitude and speaking with him once I noticed that his ideals of what gaming should be was wrong. I am in every community and if I personally walk around I am known from Gotfrag-MLG-CS community and of course the SRK community. I have never see this person in my life only leading to assuming he was just someone who knew a friend of a friend and thought he was good at gears/halo3 and never really was in the community since day 1 like I was. This is besides the point however. So he caused a few issues which I instructed them to handle him properly and act accordingly. I know sometimes gamers, not just smashers, can be pains in the neck, but no one has a right to curse anyone out. This leads me to my big issue of the manager himself.

I had no problem with him moving ppl in and out of his store, his store his rules ( which I will get into further ). Now once it escalted to downright cursing at players, that was when I felt it was a little excessive. Yes people will keep going back in and ,as anyone can tell you who has done this for so long, you need patience. His patience was unfortunately not there due to whatever reason. First he insulted players by cursing and then personally insulted me with a disrespectful remmark about my girlfriend. The people who heard it , cause of course he said it in front of players like Bum and others, and myself were just shocked. Due to the fact that I had a tournament to run and wanted just to let him vent and get it over with, I bit my tounge, nodded my head , and just kept going. Never in my personal life was I so offended, shocked, and disrespected by one person at a tournament in my life. It was sad to see someone like that managing a store. To me it shows me the type of people that can be hired without personality or background checks.

Now as for the decisions made for the tournament. I was told I had free reign. With that in mind my goal was to run the most effecient tournament possible without comprising the expeirnce of the players. Now once it started getting late for them, is when I was told to rush. As far as pools I wanted to go into another set of pools to go into a 16 man bracket from there. To me that would of been best. Now at that point I was given two choices, and Blue to his testament helped me get through this as well. Me and Blue were going to seed into other pools but they wanted to leave at midnight and were extremely disrespectful about the situation. So we went from having no time limit to having a time limit. We were told finish what we can cause they dont care about who wins. I was taken out of the picture as a host and they wanted everyone out. That was when the decision to do top 2 in the first pools was made. If we did not it would had been single elim one match. As a TO I could not and WOULD NOT let that happen. So at this point I had no choice but to aheed to this and work with blue to make this work. So we are doing the 1v1 double elimin and because I was told to rush so much and not able to really look it through ( aka they wanted matches started ASAP without letting me seed ) 2-3 people were left out of the double elimin bracket including my OWN CREWMATE Shadow. I had to make due with a printer that could not work at that time and do what can be done as best as possible. Now magically their moods changed and they did not care about time. To me this was my personal last straw. I felt offended that they changed their minds again and proved to me that they are incapable of event management. Doing this for so many years and working events I always feel changing rules midway is one of the WORST things a tournament can do.

For everyone who came I apologize for the venue's staff. I did not know they would act this way and I felt I should give everyone a chance ( despite their "background" or demeanor ). I thank all those who helped me and I will do all in my power to make my next tournament ( not as this venue ) to be twice as good as it was before.

I am especially sorry to the good and respectful workers of that store. I am by no means bashing you or the store ( infact this is the first time I have ever posted something like this in public ) but IMO certain people need to learn how to put the "hood" aspect away and act a little more professional towards the players.

Thats my 2 cents. Shoutouts later.

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
Alright folks, thats enough from both parties. This was a learning experience. Are we truly this immature to be pointing fingers at one another. Yes the staff stunk but it takes two to tango. I saw ppl leaving their thilf on da floor like it was their place showing no respect to the store what-so-ever. Yes we lost our money but whats $5 really? Looks like we forgotten why Alex did this. TO HAVE FUN!!! And alex if ur reading this, if you need help in da next tourny, i'll be more than happy to help enforce it and treat the smashers with respect , and i will work for free. And to you staff members, if you want good publicity be a little nicer., I heard it does wonders. I feel ur pain dark pch. and crismas, but plz remember this is a learning experience. No one was prepared for it. So there it is, im putting my name down as one of the refs for NYC tournies, that way i can enforce the rulez but treat our smashers with dignity and respect they deserve. We are not freakin' barbarians, we are people, we are New Yorkers, WE ARE SMASHERS!!! Lets acted like it.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Sintros, I completely understand you. It is most definitely a learning experience.

Top Bottom