• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play 'n' Trade - NYC - Oct 18, 08 - SSBB 1v1/2v2 - NYC is back baby! - bring setups!!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
This is all fine and dandy but I wanna know how my NJ people "Sneak, Kai, Izumi, etc" placed so gimme full results Alex!! :D

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
This is all fine and dandy but I wanna know how my NJ people "Sneak, Kai, Izumi, etc" placed so gimme full results Alex!! :D
Hey man :). I hope to see you at blue's event next week. Anyway, I wasn't entirly sure exactly what place I got and I didn't understand how they were running it but I didn't bother to ask because alex was busy. I made it into brackets(blue and I went undefeated in both of our pools :) sonic FTW) and then I won 2 matches, then lost, then won 2 more, then lost to blue. Wes, Blue, and I had to play close to each other in the losers bracket. What a shame that the sonic players had to be taken out by each other lol, except blue, he advanced after I beat Wes and then he beat me.

gloryofphire

Smash Rookie
Hey guys this is phire and i wanna say thank you guys for coming out yesterday. I got home at 4 or so yesterday it was a long day for a lot of us. I'll check this thread and address some of the issues that went on. I spoke to the owner of the store today (joe, the old white guy) and yeah he agreed that things should have been handled differently.

In any case feel free to add me to aim :clutch phire move.
myspace :myspace.com/thescorpionchamber.

i will be happy to take questions,comments and concerns.

Speaking from yesterday. I just want to say the turn out was ****in epic. There was some **** fine smashed played from the matches i did check out.

For the most part everyone was awesome considering the size of tournament which was a total surprise. Some of you guys are full grown adults and understand things some of you guys still have some growing to do which is fine .So for those who didn't understand we'll just go over the trouble spots that we had.

The number one thing please respect the store. I had to clean up the wall near the back of the store someone wrote "D1 Sucks ****" . I understand trash talking is a part of the game but this is not your house and i'm sure you wouldn't write that on your friend's walls or your own so please don't do it to our store. I don't even want to know who did it ,just have more respect. Also gum on the carpet,we have to clean that.

Safety concerns. The railing next to the stairs was an obvious one, I caught someone sitting on that. If you guys get hurt we are liable for it. I've also caught someone trying to lay down the stairs. I mean seriously who does that? Atomisk you blocked the top of the stairs if someone wasn't paying attention they could have gotten hurt. Things like fire code violations are all things we have to take into consideration.

There are somethings that shouldn't have to be repeated a million times.We've asked you guys not to block things like the register numerous times people did it anyway. I know i've made that announcement a few times and alex did too. No friendlies during the actual tournament(which we had alot of). We had over 170+ ppl in the store. We were trying our best to move the brackets along, that holds up progress in terms of tying up tvs that other players could play on. I spoke to a few of you guys about it. We weren't singling you guys out NO ONE should be playing friendlies during a tournament of that size in consideration to the other players there. Oh and if we asked you guys to do something just do it to help. We needed to get the people who weren't playing out of the store. So we can figure how to do things and get people to where they needed to go. All of us tried to get you guys out but that's when the manager lost his temper. More on that in a minute.

There weren't too many things else I saw on my end in terms of crowd control that were an issue.

Other than that i think you've guys were well behaved i enjoyed meeting the lot of you.

Now on to the manager thing. Should he have used different language to speak to you guys yes. He admitted that himself and the owner told him about that. That was his mistake.

We did get complaints from the neighbors, remember the neighborhood we are in. And we did get the fire dept which is right down the street from us to take a look at us a few times for fire code regulations.

And the last min rule changes. Some people felt that it should have been top 3 should advance. But we had to do what was best in interest of time. Once we trimmed things down and the top 32 players were left things ran the way there were supposed to.

And for those people say that this was about money. The players almost made more than the store did.

props to Bum did the nice thing and split it with you guys (i wouldn't have but i'm just phire)

So it is a tough thing to try to keep everyone happy. Sometimes you have to compromise.

anyway i'll leave you guys with this

For those who care and want to help things get better keep playing with us. I had a good time and it was fun. A few of you let me down and lost.(I will not say any names but your failure should speak volumes)And i'd love to hang out with you guys again

For those who don't care and feel that we are out to screw you. I can't change your mind. You're entitled to your feelings. There's no animosity, you're free to play wherever you like and we wish you the best.

For alex. I hope they push back sfIV just to piss you off.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Me and Dave went out in pools (I was 3rd, they were taking top2, not sure how Dave did).

Sneak was 2nd in my pool (I'm still upset about that match roflmao).

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Chris/Phire, thanks for your help. And thanks for explaining a lot of things to me, you did a great job. And BOO TO RE5...*smacks hand down* I remembered lol.

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
i'm stupid, i realise i made a mistake and i can't take it back now...
Whats done is done. You know it was stupid and anyone who continues to hold it against you after you admitting it was a bad move in your post is just dumb.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
thanks kai

whats your sn? so i can infrom you about crew ****

crismas- you have to remember to not get gordo'd, don't get f-smashed, don't trip, and don't trip in real life right afterwards XDDDD

nintendomaster24

Smash Cadet
NNID
NMaster
well personally, i had a good time and had alot of fun. it was my 1st tournament and it has inspired me to go to more.

granted A LOT of things could have and SHOULD have been done differently, but at the end, we all got to play Smash competitively and that's what counts.

I mean the thing about the pools etc was so lame. i was extremely angry and i remember this girl was on the same page with me. that stupid mother****** guy with the cap (the manager/owner?) had the biggest attitude and he's really lucky he didn't say anything to me.

anyway , i met a lot of nice people and i got to show my skill with Lucas. people like God, Vec, Murdoch, milk, and these other people were reallllly nice and were awesome players.

but really Alex did an excellent job at handling everything. i was right there when he was taking s*** from the guy in the cap. That guy said "NO you listen to me now, it's my store..." etc. wow i hated him. but alex seriously handled everything to the best of his ability. whenever i had a question, he immediately shot up and went to help. he had nothing to work with and i still had fun. he also did a huge favor for me and i want to thank him for that.

also, meeting other players like wes and eli were freakin' FUN as hell. i was having a blast playing them. sonic and wario/kirby vs. lucas was sooo much fun. (especially restarting the level because the music sucked LMAO)

and btw i was with the tag "GFTNM" and probably like the only one with the nunchuk and remote.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I want results... But i think I'm 9th because I should be the same place as Eli.

gloryofphire

Smash Rookie
if people just sat down with me and listened they would have learned a lot. I know bum did. I'm more than happy to chat with anyone if they feel like they are being wronged. i'm all about fairness

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
thanks Kai

Whats Your Sn? So I Can Infrom You About Crew ****

Crismas- You Have To Remember To Not Get Gordo'd, Don't Get F-smashed, Don't Trip, And Don't Trip In Real Life Right Afterwards Xdddd
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh =p

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
WHAT?! I'd like to know when exactly I said that? LOL apparently people wanna hear what they wanna hear...because I never EVER said anything like that nor would I ever say anything so ridiculous PERIOD! The only thing I EVER said was "Why do you have to be so ****ing rude?" I said that twice because the manager was being ridiculous saying "GET TO THE FRONT OF MY ****ING STORE" and clearly I wasn't the only one who was upset. I'm even trying to think where that could have even came from, I never or ever could have conceived to say something so outrageous. And I was with people ALL day and I'm positive more than 110% that I never said ANYTHING to that nature.

The fact that the store didn't profit still doesn't excuse anyone from acting that way.
That is EXACTLY what she said. I saw and heard her say that when he shouted out those words. Crismas or anyone of my friends would never say 'sand*****.' It had to be one of the many new peoples that came to the store. No smasher I know would lower someone else like that no matter how pissed off they are.

my 2 cents.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wow, I miss NY like CRAZY, but it seems like I did good by not going. Alex, I know that I promised to come, but I had just won a tourney in PA on Friday, and didn't get home till 4:30 in the morning. When I woke, I had a splitting headache, and I wasn't feeling well at all. I knew I wasn't in the condition to smash, and considering the conditions of the venue, I can say it was probably a wise move on my part. Don't worry, I will make it out there soon.

D1

Banned via Administration
Wow I didn't know this thread existed.

Such a big turnout I can't post shoutouts. XD

Thanks for all the love.

And I still can't believe w/o getting sleep the night b4, I get top 3 splitting w/ Bum and Leo ^_^.

To everyone who made the brackets OMFG it was so intense watching every match go on in every TV, every match I had in brackets was intense. As was my matches vs. Atomsk and Dark Pch in pools as well.

Yatta!

NYC ftw!

Leo we're back on top again baby like good times!

Bum you're always on top, but that'll have to change soon ^_^.

*edit* I lied...

...QUICK SHOUTOUT TO MY TS N1GGAZ NINJALINK, RON, FAB, AND STARZ! ALL UNDER ONE ROOF!

Malcolm wasn't there but its Lupe Fiasco...c'mon he woulda beasted if he was there as well so RELAX!

I also can't forget the first crew I used to be in so shoutouts to DA as well my boy Kubuu's Bday is today and thanks for the cake ^_^, Wes it was great seein ya, Dire stop BEASTIN, Raffy always stayin fresh, Bluchu good to see u ^_^, and Hellfox I'M NOT A MAN...I'M A DOG!

Shoutouts to my FIT n1ggaz Jumpman, Mop, Miwa, Shinigami, Kevin, Crismas, YRB, and...wait Hoyo wasn't there -_-.

Shoutouts to my Polytech n*ggaz Jtails, Owl, and DMT!

Shoutouts to DGZ n*ggaz Cass, Tier, HaB and LUCK AKA BENJAMIN LINUS!

Shoutouts to SWAT for comin thru as always Hax, DJN, Zro, and is Kwis? in SWAT?

Big ups to my PE pplz Crismas OMG WE SAW TOM CRUISE IN MANHATTAN!, Snake ggz ur Sheik is rapesauce, Shadow omg just squeeze urself into brackets jerk! XD, and ALEX STRIFE FIRST AND FORMOST FOR HOSTING A BEAST ARSE TOURNEY! Despite thet crap that happened it was still a beast tournament.

Enemy Controller shoutouts Atomsk, Izumi, Blue, 34, Kai, and I dunno who else I talk to in there but I love you allz?

Shoutout to my Bklyn n*ggaz Ryko, Silven, Shin, Rookie ( I count you as Bklyn quit life XD) etc...

Oh yeah to all the other Zodiac Braves shoutout to you too...

Shoutouts to my LI n*ggaz Doowop, Eli, Knighmare etc.

OMG everyone else I talked to much love sry I didn't shoutout you out.

Except this one person I heard said my Falco sucked cuz I don't pivot CG?

First and foremost, I used to do that sh** b4 I ever saw vids of Sethlon do it. You can ask NinjaLink. Sry if I don't always try to pump out vids of my chars pulling off crap. I'm more focused on trying to do well in tournaments instead of pleasing the crowd mister random self meat rider. If I actually stopped trying to master so many new fighters that are coming out nowadays I'd actually do all the flashy Falco sh** that I used to when me and NL trained like EVERYDAY.

Shoutout to Hoyo for giving me his GameCube controller to keep! I have long since put my prized Brawl controller w/ the Yoshi sticker up on the shelf for your CF stickered controller. It is amazing in Melee and Brawl...thank you so much! <33

Shoutout to Reno and Godot just cuz he's Reno even if he wasn't there.

Shoutout to the basement gang that was having mad OD fun and the after monthly crew XD!

OMEGA APEX SHOUTOUT TO ALEX STRIFE CUZ HE DEEEEEEEEEEED IT!

The End.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So I just found this thread like D1 did. I know hardly anyone here would care about my two cents on the issue, but I feel it relevant to let out some things that I saw.

NYC Smash is a great community, and I'm not just saying that as a positive comment to preface some mean stuff I'm gonna say. I truly mean that. As a community, Smashers are some of the nicest and most considerate people there are. Anyone who has ever tried to break into the DotA community on a pro level knows that they are some of the most elitist and dismissive heads there are, they're almost like a cabal. Smashers are the exact opposite of that. As Joe (I think it was Joe, right?) said, we bring Wiis and TVs. Hardly any other community I know of does that for local tournaments.

But straight up, we failed yesterday.

Smash didn't fail. Play N' Trade or Alex weren't the ones who failed. SWF or AiB weren't the ones who failed. We all failed. Things didn't go right, and it's downright silly to point fingers at people and blame them solely for the day going as it did. We all made mistakes. Yesterday was an example of the Snowball Effect. So many unrelated mistakes happened that, while on their own harmless, culminated to create the fiasco.

Nobody won yesterday except those who placed. Roughly 80% of the 170+ entrants were undone by the ever-changing rules that governed the first round. And often times, like in DJ Nintendo's case, it had nothing to do with skill. It was simply the fact that the tournament was running late and people in pools needed to catch trains to Jersey or upstate or wherever and each one successively lowered the chances of their poolmates to place exponentially. Blame whoever you want for this, but 80% of entrants, pro or random, got their money taken. And who got it? The store? The store took a huge loss on this tournament because it was simply overbooked. Yeah, on paper 170 looks amazing (breaking the w2z record), but it doesn't matter when regular customers can't even make it to the counter because heads don't know how to not loiter. The only people who made any money were those who placed. Everyone else, even those not involved in the tournament, took a loss.

As I said, for a community that hasn't done anything professional in months, NYC is now officially a joke to anyone who has even heard about this. NJ or CT or MD/VA, whatever. They all have been running some kind of decent tournament organization since Brawl's release.

We're New York Motherf*cking City. We have easily the best Smashers on the East Coast, maybe the country, and I firmly believe that. But it doesn't mean anything to anybody who actually cares about it when the only relevant tournament we've done is ran like this. For all the OOS heads who showed up, this is what they think NYC Smash is like now. Unorganized and filled with randoms and horribly untalented Smashers.

And whose fault is that? Really, think about that. Point all the fingers you want but it won't solve the greater issue. The entire reason why we're having tournaments. We all need to get together. We all need to work together and contribute and do all the things that has made this community a community.

This ended up being longer than I expected, so I'll shut my mouth here.

However, on a personal note, the manager specifically cursed me the hell out for absolutely no justifiable reason. Hardbody. Now that's not something I forgive, but as someone who's tried to run tournies and has been so close to strangling idiot gamers... I understand. Believe me, I understand. But I don't forgive.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I have one comment about the tourney...

No tripping rocks.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
HAB you're way too focused on the neutral aspect of failing. I think despite the suckage, I think it was better to have tried than not at all. And saying "well it's everyone's fault" is way too neutral and sometimes faults need to be addressed. It's nice to be neutral, but it's good to be real about **** too. If we are NYC then one thing about NYC is that no one gives up and it keeps progressing. Now we know we can create something huge, and know what we can and cannot do. You can't grow unless you fail, it's just the truth. And knowing where the faults lie instead of being neutral is a way to know how to move forward.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
While I do understand your post HaB, things were just not easy to control. the amount of people and small spacing made it hard to really organize it properly. Granted, Alex, Blues, you and others have done great/the best jobs ya could do. I'm pretty sure even the OOS people didn't expect about 170 people would come to this. all and all, we all underestimated the amount of people that came.

I actually thought that the store made a decent profit in terms of the tournament itself. over 800 dollars (if I'm doing this right...5 dollars for each person that came). Again, this is my opinon

all and all, what's done is done. we'll take this as a lesson and hopefully use this event to learn our midstakes.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
800 per day <<< What they need to stay afloat.

Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't have done it. I'm not saying that we would have been better off with no tournament at all. I understand it's better to have tried and lost than to have never tried at all.

And I'm not saying that we shouldn't figure out what went wrong, only that progress of NYC Smash doesn't happen when we spin our wheels and point fingers. Our lesson from this event shouldn't be knowing who to blame and not trust, but knowing what actions, regardless of those who did them, should be avoided for the next tournament.

I'm just saying that too many people were allowed to enter and that, combined with about seventeen other unrelated things, contributed to what happened. It's not being neutral, it's just focusing on the the things that went wrong, not who did them.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Where are full results?

I expect pools results, too, Alex. Be a good TO. :)

Also...screw pools. Just do a huge bracket next time. Faster and it avoids dumb-rules situations.

OneShotKi11

Smash Rookie
Where are full results?

I expect pools results, too, Alex. Be a good TO. :)

Also...screw pools. Just do a huge bracket next time. Faster and it avoids dumb-rules situations.
Thats what i said we should have done. One huge *** bracket would have been alot faster.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Plain And Simple

Jits Just This Simple Just Get Chairs Raise The Entry Fee So The Pot Can Be Bigger Adn The Store Can Get A More Reasonable Profit And It Will Also Make The Attendance Reasonable Not Crazy. And The Prize For The Tournament Would Be Great Thats What We Did For Gauntlets And Mad Ppl Still Came Got Thier Moneies Worth. So Its All About Planning Things Out So Yeah I Know I Am Going To Bring My Chair Again **** That Lol.

OneShotKi11

Smash Rookie
Hopefully we can work out arrangements for future events where i manage everything for the store. Sort of like the Stores representative for the event, and Alex will manage the event itself sort of like the Players representative at the store.

All problems and or inquires will be able to be run through me and the decision making process would be alot smoother and well organized. Instead of having no one in charge and everyone running around asking other not in charge people what to do. Any store related/venue/staff issues will be sent in my direction, and any tournament Rule issues and or bracket issues sent to Alex.
That way when Alex has a problem he contacts me with the issues and i relay them to the staff, and when the store managers have issues i relay them to Alex.
This again is all hypothetical if an event were to ever occur run by Alex at the store again.
Smash events will continue at Play n Trade non the less with or without Alex heading them, but just incase there is a change of hearts organizing a chain of command ahead of time would be helpful to all.

As for the chairs....
Thats still wishful thinking guys and i can almost assure you will never get them. Again i must reiterrate the fact that this isnt an empty venue but infact a game store. Customers will not be able to walk about the store with a bunch of gamers lazying about in their Lawn Chairs.
That was mainly for you WES....LoLz

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Jits Just This Simple Just Get Chairs Raise The Entry Fee So The Pot Can Be Bigger Adn The Store Can Get A More Reasonable Profit And It Will Also Make The Attendance Reasonable Not Crazy. And The Prize For The Tournament Would Be Great Thats What We Did For Gauntlets And Mad Ppl Still Came Got Thier Moneies Worth. So Its All About Planning Things Out So Yeah I Know I Am Going To Bring My Chair Again **** That Lol.

NAAAAAAH SON! I like paying 5 bucks ^_^ :lick::p:ohwell::laugh:

gloryofphire

Smash Rookie
alex, blue and myself discussed this. We looked at pools vs brackets. 6 hours vs 11 hours. it's just that simple. we would have done a bracket from the top 4 but we were under the impression that we had to get it done. once things calmed down we could have done the 64 vs 32.

And for people who keep thinking the store made decent money. we honestly didn't. sorry to burst your bubbles. the only people who got good money were the people who placed. i'm heading into to the store to send alex the tio file later. so you can get your results up.

oneshot i'm sorry but the math that you were showing me for brackets was not going to work because there is no such thing as .5 in a tournament and we cannot in all fairness just start assigning bye's to random people just to make the bracket work. also you wanted to single elim. bum,myself,blue alex sat at the end and we all decided against single elim. people would have torn the store apart.

if we raised the venue fee. some of you might not have been able to enter. it's a tough situation and we on our end did the best we could.

at the end of the day i think everyone got a crazy amount of matches in. I saw some of the pools results and if we were doing a straight bracket a lot of people would have have been done fast.

and i'm very disappointed in dire and team bro ****.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Lol

Lol Ur Funny One Shot Well U Can Have No Chairs Dont Matter To Me Lol I Will Always Brign My Chair There Lol.

And Sorry For Disappointing You Phire Lol We Will Get Our Gloryofphire Next Time We Play Also Raise The Entry If You Guys Have A Problem Making A Profit Ppl Have To Understand Its A Business And Its A Business In Manhattan.

BUM163

Smash Lord
yup thats what i think also. phire is a cool dude and i think things just was a miscommunication. i know i did my best to help and it shouldn't be 5 dollar venue fee. sorry especially in mahattan that doesn't pay the bills. if smash players want venues.... contribute by giving a good amount of money so the place can run. in doing so they provide us with the tv and space...... chairs would of been nice lol.

Top Bottom