• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Official Rule Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
well technically if he grabs you at 0 percent your could probably get out on the first pummel if not force the air release

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
EIDI's been proven not to exist, unless yer talkin bout something else
I'm not gonna get into technicalities and call it a name. Fact of the matter is, Ness/Lucas can force themselves out of Marth's grab range from a grab release. Every Marth main knows this, every Ness/Lucas main knows this.

Masky

Smash Master
Are the infinite grab release CGs against Wario banned? If not, why not, when other infinites are banned?

CloudChaser071

Smash Apprentice
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an ufair competitive advantage)
lol typo :D

First time for me looking at these rulesets. I'll probably use this in a future tournament to see how it works. Kinda worried about there being 9 starters though... it seems it always ends up going to Battlefield or Smashville.

Hive

Smash Lord
The op is interesting :) Does this mean mlg will replace the sbr as the authoratative body on smash rulesets? It would be nice I think since the sbr has been largely inactive in keeping up with current rule listings (last official updates in April of 2009) and as a result current rules/issues are largely being dealt with in a decentralized fashion from TOs (planking limits, infinites, current stage bans...etc..) and is reducing comparability in tournament results. SBR seems to be inactive lately as well in keeping up with issues that, while voted on previously, both because of new information and time may no longer reflect current thinking.

ADHD

Smash Hero
The op is interesting :) Does this mean mlg will replace the sbr as the authoratative body on smash rulesets? It would be nice I think since the sbr has been largely inactive in keeping up with current rule listings (last official updates in April of 2009) and as a result current rules/issues are largely being dealt with in a decentralized fashion from TOs (planking limits, infinites, current stage bans...etc..) and is reducing comparability in tournament results. SBR seems to be inactive lately as well in keeping up with issues that, while voted on previously, both because of new information and time may no longer reflect current thinking.
Nobody would listen to them if that happened.. lol. In fact, no one should listen to them if that happens.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Learning to play on new stages is easy. Learning to differentiate between a viable competitive stage and a casual party stage is apparently difficult for the majority.

Telling ADHD: "lol learn moar stages scrub" is a poor argument.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
No. However, the MLG ruleset is not the standard of the BBR.

As the BBR Public Relations Officer, I personally apologize for the delay on our ruleset update. There is actually a lot to discuss, and it is quite actively ongoing. Our ruleset is primarily based off of an old ruleset, and we are looking to refine it to turn it into a more quality ruleset, that requires far less patching. Basically, if we're going to be the standard, we're trying to raise the bar.

In the end, the ruleset that your resident TOs decide to use is up to them. Deciding to make your ruleset based off of MLGs is completely an acceptable option, as well as going by the BBR's standard.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would argue that, while clearly a competetive stage, Final Destination's lack of platforms makes it non-neutral as characters like Pikachu have an advantage (his projectile now affects the whole stage) while other characters who are weak against ariel attacks nolonger have quite so much to worry about and Kirby loses a lot of his in arena tricks.

NNID
Budget_Player
It's clearly non-neutral, but what would you replace it with? In a 9-starter stage list, FD is really necessary to offset the aerial stages. Although I would recommend replacing delfino or Halberd in the starter list with RC, mostly because if we're going to include a stage that aerial chars absolutely have to strike, we should do the same for grounded chars.

ADHD

Smash Hero
It's clearly non-neutral, but what would you replace it with? In a 9-starter stage list, FD is really necessary to offset the aerial stages. Although I would recommend replacing delfino or Halberd in the starter list with RC, mostly because if we're going to include a stage that aerial chars absolutely have to strike, we should do the same for grounded chars.
Dear lord, you are truly against everything with any amount of ground. Just make a custom stage with only one block to replace it.

Now THAT, is a neutral.

Kole

Smash Lord
Or one that consists of only moving platforms and a layer of spikes at the bottom

ADHD

Smash Hero
Or one that consists of only moving platforms and a layer of spikes at the bottom
I'm not quite sure if that favors Metaknight enough, so we can ***** about him when he predictably wins, and then demand he be banned.

Perhaps.. a floating spinny thing in the center.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not quite sure if that favors Metaknight enough, so we can ***** about him when he predictably wins, and then demand he be banned.

Yes ... yes! We'll call it the "Floating Spinny Thing in the Center Stage". :D

NNID
Budget_Player
Dear lord, you are truly against everything with any amount of ground. Just make a custom stage with only one block to replace it.

Now THAT, is a neutral.
How thick are you? FD is not a balanced starter stage. It's ridiculously polar, and has about as much place in the starter list as RC. In fact, I'd argue on any list where FD is a starter, RC should be too. If aerial chars are forced to strike a stage automatically, and most of the time ban it, ground characters should be forced to do the same.

Masky

Smash Master

Shh!! Don't talk about that, or Ankoku will delete your posts! :ohwell:

Merkuri

Smash Lord
How thick are you? FD is not a balanced starter stage. It's ridiculously polar, and has about as much place in the starter list as RC. In fact, I'd argue on any list where FD is a starter, RC should be too. If aerial chars are forced to strike a stage automatically, and most of the time ban it, ground characters should be forced to do the same.
This logic is erroneous, because they are more grounded character than aerials characters. And therefore the game itself is more centralized to grounded characters and the stage list should reflect that.

NNID
Budget_Player
This logic is erroneous, because they are more grounded character than aerials characters. And therefore the game itself is more centralized to grounded characters and the stage list should reflect that.
Err... no. The stagelist itself favors aerial characters more than grounded characters. And therefore the game itself is more centralized to aerial characters.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Err... no. The stagelist itself favors aerial characters more than grounded characters. And therefore the game itself is more centralized to aerial characters.
Then why bother making an "even medium" stage?

Just leave all the aerial stages present, and remove every ground/somewhat grounded stage since we should centralize for aerial characters.

You should focus on the fact of making STAGES legal instead of this nonsense.

NNID
Budget_Player
Then why bother making an "even medium" stage?

Just leave all the aerial stages present, and remove every ground/somewhat grounded stage since we should centralize for aerial characters.

You should focus on the fact of making STAGES legal instead of this nonsense.
You're missing the point. We remove as little as possible and then let the cards fall as they may. And when you do that, then it naturally balances heavily towards aerial characters. You think I'm saying we should get rid of grounded stages; I'm not, I'm saying that without removing aerial stages explicitly for stage median balance, there are more aerial stages and therefore the few relatively heavy aerial characters gain a bonus from that that is programmed into the game itself.

And I'm not advocating an even medium stage, I'm advocating a 15+ stage starter list.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
You're missing the point. We remove as little as possible and then let the cards fall as they may. And when you do that, then it naturally balances heavily towards aerial characters. You think I'm saying we should get rid of grounded stages; I'm not, I'm saying that without removing aerial stages explicitly for stage median balance, there are more aerial stages and therefore the few relatively heavy aerial characters gain a bonus from that that is programmed into the game itself.

And I'm not advocating an even medium stage, I'm advocating a 15+ stage starter list.
....no
and last time i checked, snake, diddy, falco, and ics are not exactly aerial characters

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
smashmachine, you're making no sense... the ruleset doesn't cater to aerial or ground-based characters. However, the stagelist does... when you think about it, all those ground-based characters you mentioned have just a couple of really good stages, which also just happen to be "neutral." I think that Diddy and Falco would definitely drop in tier position if we took their best stages out of the "neutral" list... what I'm saying is that the versatile characters that do better on more stages are those who are aerial-based, because while the ground changes of every stage, the air is just... the air. The bigger the stagelist, the more it will probably tend to favor aerial characters, but that's the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom