• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Official Rule Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
1. No use of Marth’s or Chirzard's Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness.

Is this rule worded this way because MLG doesn't want mindless button mashing for a minute or two? Alot of other characters have the same grab release "infinite" with dashgrabbing, walking regrabs etc.

I know Bowser and ICs are not counted because they are universal or nearly universal. So is it okay to "infinite" Ness across the stage with Sonic, Squirtle, DK, Lucas, Falcon, MK etc. ?

Charizard can't force a ground release 100% of the time I believe, and plenty of other characters can "infinite" Ness/Lucas for a longer time across the stage. So was this just overlooked or is it okay for everyone else to regrab them repeatedly.

Kith

Smash Ace
1. No use of Marth’s or Chirzard's Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness.

Is this rule worded this way because MLG doesn't want mindless button mashing for a minute or two? Alot of other characters have the same grab release "infinite" with dashgrabbing, walking regrabs etc.

I know Bowser and ICs are not counted because they are universal or nearly universal. So is it okay to "infinite" Ness across the stage with Sonic, Squirtle, DK, Lucas, Falcon, MK etc. ?

Charizard can't force a ground release 100% of the time I believe, and plenty of other characters can "infinite" Ness/Lucas for a longer time across the stage. So was this just overlooked or is it okay for everyone else to regrab them repeatedly.
Also, his name is Charizard, not Chirzard

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
are there rules on player conduct such as cheering, coaching, etc.

sorry if there is and i missed it or if this was already addressed somewhere.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
To be honest, I think they are making a bit too much of a big deal on the whole Wiimote thing. I do know it makes some sort of interference, but I think they are overexaggerating the whole thing.

For the very few people that do use them, is it really that hard to tell them to shut them off? Wouldn't they know how to anyways? Wouldn't they do it regardless?

Plus, when it happens, not only is it extremely obvious, but I've noticed that it seems to happen, more often than not, at the beginning of a match rather than at other times during, so they can always just restart if something does happen to occur. But the chances seem so unlikely.

It's pretty simple. If you are going to watch a match, turn off your controller (remove the batteries) when you are not playing. There should be no batteries in any wireless controller until immediately before and after the user's matches and that's it. It's so simple.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Also, this is off the record, but you have it pretty spot on T-block
First of all, thank you for the explanation; looks like the BBR made a good choice in PR chief.

Secondly, how can anything posted on a forum that archives posts be "off the record", lol. :laugh:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
360 controllers are always plugged in. Most things that have the option to be wired or wireless are usually wired because wireless things tend to be less efficient...and stuff like interference, too, I suppose.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Isn't there a growing number of people using the wireless classic controller since they stopped selling GC controllers? I've heard from a fair number of people they prefer it to a GC controller anyway. I'd think they'd certainly be more common than you guys are saying. That said, I think banning someone's preferred input device is not cool when it provides no advantage over players using a GC controller.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
So no rules against coaching or unsportsmanlike cheering..... ? Just trying to clarify.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
the infnites they banned are somwhat debatable as they didn't really change the match ups for marth or D3

Marth still beats lucas and ness by a large margin

D3 still beats all those characters, or at least teh highest tier'd one DK (can't imagine luigi or mario beating D3)

wouldn't it be better to ban infinites that actually change who wins a match up?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
if you take all the people that would attend a MLG event. Then take all the people out of those that would actually use a wii-mote. You've got what, 5? 10?? Not huge numbers. Also there's no documented proof that wii-motes violate FCC regulations by interfering with other wireless devices.

There -may- be times when IR devices interfere with wii-mote operation.

just sayin'

another excuse reason I recall reading for their banning was something about MLG not wanting to have to enforce the "take your batteries out when you're done" rule so that people's wii-motes don't stay logged into the Wiis, taking up controller slots. but I can imagine that being enforced naturally. "hey dude, log out." :dizzy:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
but the wiimote simply moves to the P2 or P3 slot.
and could therefore interfere with the game somehow... more likely the wii itself than anything. (lol random home screen)

RPK

Smash Lord
Rule 2 is probably why a wee gee got so far in tournament o-o I have no doubt that he is an amazing player, but without that infinite grab he didnt have any fear of D3s

Crow!

Smash Lord
That infinite rule is by no means unique to MLG. Most tourneys now a days use it.
I believe this claim is false. Unfortunately, I don't believe that a study has been performed to determine the prevalence of the rule. Either way, there is no reason to take his word over mine.

Rule 2 is probably why a wee gee got so far in tournament o-o I have no doubt that he is an amazing player, but without that infinite grab he didnt have any fear of D3s
Fun fact: if D3 grabs a good player playing Luigi at anything less than ~100% damage, the chaingrab is not an infinite; Luigi can mash out because D3 must pummel.

At >100%, D3 could have just, you know, KILLED Luigi, so the point is moot.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I believe this claim is false. Unfortunately, I don't believe that a study has been performed to determine the prevalence of the rule. Either way, there is no reason to take his word over mine.

Fun fact: if D3 grabs a good player playing Luigi at anything less than ~100% damage, the chaingrab is not an infinite; Luigi can mash out because D3 must pummel.

At >100%, D3 could have just, you know, KILLED Luigi, so the point is moot.
Yes and no, just because the Luigi is in kill percent, does not mean he can't proceed to infinite him to increase a chance of killing him. Also, he has to pummel after it gets completely stale, which in that case is about 4-5 throws. Also to add in, if the player is over 60%, breaking out is very low. Anything under 60 can be broken out of, however.

The infinite is a different case then then IC chain grab. I know you did not touch on this, but I would like to bring it up. IC's whole character model is for CGing to happen, thus banning that aspect of the character should be nulled. D3's CG is workable in MU's, and infinite's for that character does not change the MU, just drastically makes it worse if it is enabled. D3's infinite should be banned. HOWEVER, I do not see the real issue with walking chain grabs, since you can minimize the overall damage of it.

As for the statement above which is saying that Infinite's are mainly banned overall in this due day in time, it is actually true. While I won't list them, just by checking overall tournament threads will show that overall there is a noticeable amount of people who ban infinite's for tournaments then there isn't.

I didn't even know there was a MLG brawl section, this will be healthy. I would like to go over the rules one by one, TV's, and stage list. Crow, I respect you as a person who always states logical reasoning for everything, so if you find what I say disagreeable or intriguing in the near future, please by all means state and point it out. Of course, this goes for everyone, but I am just bringing it to crow since I enjoyed his company in the MK thread.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, according to MLG rules, Dedede gets the win if he kills his opponent on the last stock with a regicide (suck-kill) , regardless of either players' percent, right?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Can someone explain to me why taking springs out of your controller is legal??
Your username and this post makes me lol.

Anyway this a good question, as the spring thing is usually illegal in tournaments like this.

That infinite rule is by no means unique to MLG. Most tourneys now a days use it.
I THINK that it varies by region but IIRC, Atlantic north bans the D3 standing infinite.
Doesn't D3 have an advantage over Luigi anyway??

iRJi

Smash Champion
Your username and this post makes me lol.

Anyway this a good question, as the spring thing is usually illegal in tournaments like this.

I THINK that it varies by region but IIRC, Atlantic north bans the D3 standing infinite.
Doesn't D3 have an advantage over Luigi anyway??
Without the infinite the Mu is very close, actually. Luigi has enough tools to put d3 is plenty of bad situations. Despite his lack of range, it is mad up in the match-up by d3 average speed. This is why infinite should be just disabled outside of IC's.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You guys should just ban all infinities including the IC's non sense.
A. Which techniques are actually infinites?

B. There's no way to ban IC infinites, there's a billion ways for them to inescapably combo you to death, some of which I believe are completely different each time.

Well, unless you ban ICs.

Castle Seige, Halberd, Delfino, and Lylat should be counterpicks.

And for the scrubs who can't fight Falco, Diddy, or Snake, if you just get better then you'll realize FD is fine as a starter.
Except that having them as starters creates a stagelist that substantially advantages those 3, meaning that the starter list doesn't result in a neutral level at all.

My first stage in a set against those characters shouldn't be a stage they would CP.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
A. Which techniques are actually infinites?

B. There's no way to ban IC infinites, there's a billion ways for them to inescapably combo you to death, some of which I believe are completely different each time.

Well, unless you ban ICs.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Anyways as to the rules will their be any time of change in the rules between now and Columbus like for example allowing wireless controllers?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Do the rule updates (most importantly not being able to CP a stage you already won on) apply to the online ladder as well? The bracket for it starts tonight and that rule is kind of crucial going in on a best of 5 against a MK with these stages on lol.

There's no mention of the rule anywhere on the rules page for the ladder.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
wii-mote answer:

it doesn't really matter if they're legal, mlg is sponsored by hotpockets, which means they're giving hotpockets away constantly, which means they have microwaves running during the event, which means it will interrupt the wii mote frequency

thank you for your time

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
dude, that guys post actually mentioned microwaves as a possible interference. so mike wins.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
if you read a bit further, you'd note that he says the wiimote signal is strong enough that you'd need multiple microwaves between the player and the TV to interfere with teh signal

and none of the Orlando pics i saw had microwaves in them...

BBQTV

Smash Master
edge grab limits are limits to the number of times you can grab the edge of the stage... generally to prevent things like this from happening.

pre-edit: lol. that video still makes me laugh.
i know that this pit was being gay but he was playing ic who has a pretty gay grab. anyway doesn't this rule hurt some characters?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
wiiremotes will not be allowed. This rule will not be changing.

Don't expect many, if any, chances to the rules for Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom