• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I think in case of falco, comparing larry to almost every other falco is probably not a good comparison because of how precise he is and how diffrent he plays. I haven't scene a falco that utilizes the character in the same way DEHF does, if you can link me to a vid that shows otherwise I will gladly watch it

NNID
Budget_Player
I like how every time the results don't look like this

1. :metaknight:
2. :snake:
3. :metaknight:
4. :metaknight:
5. :diddy:
6. :metaknight:
7. :metaknight:
8. :metaknight:

pro ban just says "NEXT TIME!" and then like 5 nationals later when it gets anywhere near that they go "SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Some. I for one am waiting if the pattern continues.

There were only 3 MKs in the top 8, right. I mean, yeah, that's more dominance than any other character, but really that doesn't seem like a bannable character. It's not so dominant that no other characters are viable. Hell 6 different characters in the top 8 is pretty diverse. That's as good, or better, than Melee at Pound 4, isn't it?

2 Jigglypuffs in top 2 including 1st place at Pound 4 Melee. Jigglypuff's too dominant, ban her.

Arbitrary numbers can make any point look better!

I mean, yeah, you're right that MK DOES have a level of dominance that no other character has, but if we were to just look at Orlando (not saying we should ONLY look at Orlando, but if we did), it actually looks like a fairly healthy level of diversity and quite a healthy meta game.
Again, see if it keeps happening.

Also, Crow, how the hell did you get a 54% dominance level for MK out of a tournament where there are 3 MKs in the top 8 spots?

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's bad enough that my trolling gets taken seriously but it's even worse when it's like a week later and I don't even remember saying that **** loooooool

Crow!

Smash Lord
Also, Crow, how the hell did you get a 54% dominance level for MK out of a tournament where there are 3 MKs in the top 8 spots?
As I had said, I used Ankoku's scoring. First place is worth 10 points, second worth 7, third and fourth worth 4, and the rest out to eighth are worth 1. Given MLG's payout scheme, this is too lenient for Ally and ESAM, hence MK's payout percent being slightly higher.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
As I had said, I used Ankoku's scoring. First place is worth 10 points, second worth 7, third and fourth worth 4, and the rest out to eighth are worth 1. Given MLG's payout scheme, this is too lenient for Ally and ESAM, hence MK's payout percent being slightly higher.
"This is too lenient for the non-MKs."

I don't see any potential bias here.:psycho:

Crow!

Smash Lord
It's factual. Payment-wise, 2nd got 60% of what 1st did at MLG, and 4th, as always, got less than 3rd. If I were designing the system myself, I'd have given 3rd place 4 points and 4th place 3. I'm less sure how I would rate 1st and 2nd relative to each other.

Had Tyrant beaten Ally, I'd have said "Tyrant and ESAM." Had Tyrant lost to ESAM I'd have said "Ally and Tyrant."

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
has having MK on a team become mandatory yet to take first at a tournament?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is so dumb, 90% of the top players in the US either second MK/use him for CPs or uses him in doubles.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Excellent, another top pro dropping his main for Metaknight.
Makes sense I suppose, why play a flawed character when there's MK with no bad MUs or stages and goes even with MK. Poifect. Play to win.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
ADHD has trolled saying he was going to use MK more than once guys.

Lets see him use him at a national and get destroyed by someone in a ditto before taking them out in the losers bracket with their true main.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace

Lets see him use him at a national and get destroyed by someone in a ditto before taking them out in the losers bracket with their true main.
Naw, he must be totally serious because he posted it on the internet and whatever is on the internet must be true.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Can't wait to see how the top 8 pans out with the stagelist at the next MLG event. We can't base it off of one tournament.

Judo777

Smash Master

I love this post! It unknowingly implies that good players picking MK will only lose to other MKs

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Yes, it happened after gness and razer stopped being static partners :(

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272897

Adhd maining MK now. So lets see, DEHF lost to DSF at MLG, ally to M2k. Who besides ally is still really a true MK slayer?
He actually lost to tyrant but adhd was never an mk slayer just m2k rapist. He lost to shadow atomsk ally anti tyrant and dsf all in a row.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
After seeing the data/charts/graphs, the anti ban side literally look at the NUMBERS(you cant argue those) and said "mk stays, too bad for you." Now look, mlg picks up mk.

lol u cant beat stupid people that look and agree that the data/charts/graphs are CORRECT but still say/vote mk should be legal.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Xyro, I think you're missing the point, the issue, the REAL issue here is different people have different opinions about how much is "too much".

Without some sort of unified community standard, we're just left with the default option, until he passes that point for pretty much the entire community (if that ever happens).

I've tried to get a bullseye painted, one that we could stand behind, I'm sure you know this, but when it comes right down to it, I think a lot of people don't wanna risk being wrong.

Gnes

Smash Master
Ally uses MK too. GGs.
When we payin those bills
Gotta Pay that internet bill first

Nope...never will...Double mk is exactly not THAT difficult for diddy/snake, but they have other problems that are far worse. Also, me/razer when we were statics won lots :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
After seeing the data/charts/graphs, the anti ban side literally look at the NUMBERS(you cant argue those) and said "mk stays, too bad for you." Now look, mlg picks up mk.

lol u cant beat stupid people that look and agree that the data/charts/graphs are CORRECT but still say/vote mk should be legal.
don't see how that should surprise you, this has been

OMG MK IS BORK HE SHOULD BE BAN

NO HE SHOULDN'T!

YES HE SHOULD!!

NO!!!

for over a year

this thread is only a decent source of entertainment, nothing more.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
When we payin those bills
Gotta Pay that internet bill first

Nope...never will...Double mk is exactly not THAT difficult for diddy/snake, but they have other problems that are far worse. Also, me/razer when we were statics won lots :)
i think he meant it as having 1 mk on the team is necessary to win dubs.

And since you and razer are no more its true! me and duffman tried to replace you guys as the none mk team but we failed, zac and razer aint as good as us so we're the only hope.

Judo777

Smash Master
Actually the first question was "how do we define dominance?" Then Crow answered that very effectively then the question was "well by how much more is MK than everyone else?" Then crow said well he is more than twice as good as every other character. Then the question became "well because we want MK to stay, how can we prove that MK is so much more dominant that its unhealthy?" then Crow said lets try a temp ban and find out. Then antiban was like "No because until we decide the answer to question 3, we cant try a termp ban that will in turn answer question 3!"

pro ban *facepalms*

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually the first question was "how do we define dominance?" Then Crow answered that very effectively then the question was "well by how much more is MK than everyone else?" Then crow said well he is more than twice as good as every other character. Then the question became "well because we want MK to stay, how can we prove that MK is so much more dominant that its unhealthy?" then Crow said lets try a temp ban and find out. Then antiban was like "No because until we decide the answer to question 3, we cant try a termp ban that will in turn answer question 3!"

pro ban *facepalms*
The problem is, what is "unhealthy".

I've discussed temp bans before, and the problem with that always comes down to "well, what exactly are we looking for that will prove each side's point".

Because every single time we have an issue with people painting a bullseye on the result after the fact. Nobody is committed to a single point of "this much is too much", and without that commitment this issue will continue and a temp ban will solve nothing.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Really, the easiest feasible way I can think of only lies within the BBR and a debate/vote when conditions that people want a temp ban are met.

Right now, most of us have some kind of thing we're looking for in regards to metaknight's superiority in brawl and a set of criteria that must be met before enough is enough; however, as explained by Adumb and others before, this criteria has already been tainted because our preferences may have shifted towards leniency and/or strictness in criteria after the problem already arose, and thus we cannot agree upon one or a few people's suggested criteria, even if they seem logically sound and reasonable.

That's why pro-ban fights an uphill battle that is, at the moment, slowing to a crawl, even if more evidence supports pro-ban's claims. Pro-ban has all of this evidence and proofs, figures and graphs, but how can one create unbiased criteria utilizing these sets of data if stances pertaining to the MK ban have already been made? Furthermore, how can one turn this from a pretty convincing argument to a critical and conclusive evidence? Pro-ban has been very close to this, but it really did not affect much in the long run as the discussion progressively deteriorated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom