• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
But, what's the ratio of Falcon to Marth in terms of mains and tournament attendence?
I wonder if there's a way to use such ratios to statistically adjust the ranking to remove skews due to popularity. Not for replacing the actual rankings, of course, but it would be interesting to see another angle of the data. I think with all the statistical tools out there that can test for significance or skews, it can be done, even if only in a pseudo sort of way.
I was actually curious about this myself when i was making my list. I calculated the ratios of points to top8 placings. In order of highest ratio to lowest:

Jigglypuff - 26.857
Falco - 11.322
Peach - 8.685
Ice Climbers - 8.598
Fox - 8.486
Falcon - 7.888
Ganondorf - 7.016
Sheik - 6.553
Marth - 5.987
Samus - 5.93
Dr. Mario - 4.931
Luigi - 3.57
Pikachu - 3.089
DK - 2.558
Mewtwo - 2.188
Mario - 1.755
Zelda - 1.5
Link - 1.318
Bowser - 0.674

Basically, the top 2 (puff and falco) are massively buffed because of hbox and mango. They either won the tournament (receiving max points) or didn't enter. Puff is much higher because there is a lack of puff players outside of those two to receive lower amounts of points for the additional top8 placing (which would lower the ratio).

edit: and also, because of how the system works, you gain a top8 placing for each character you played but split points (like if m2k won with marth/sheik/fox each would get a win but would divide the points evenly) which messes up ratios too.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
i agree with sveet. midwest

EDIT: I love how Iceclimbers and ganon beat marth

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I like m2k logic. if a player beats him with a lower tier character then that character becomes the best character in the game

null55

Smash Master
just cause Jiggs is best for current homo sapiens doesn't mean she's the best.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Oh give me a break. Just because there might be future superstars in sports doesn't mean we account for them now.

Take into consideration what's currently happening and that's how the decisions are made.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Jiggs
Fox/Falco
Sheik
Marth
Peach
Falcon
ICs
Doc
Ganon

DK/Mario/Luigi some order as 11th. I personally think DK (but luigi is better for low tier tourneys vs other low tiers imo slightly).

^ that is the true tier list. This is how likely these characters are to win a major tourney at high level, which is all that really matters. I have spent a LOT of time making up this list to be 100% accurate. It is in exact order. Please consider it.

this list is beautiful

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
yeah he must've lol. she's prob below ganon though. revised m2k list:

Jiggs
Fox/Falco
Sheik
Marth
Peach
Falcon
ICs
Doc
Ganon

Samus
DK
Mario
Luigi

Pikachu (commonly extrapolated lower tiers)
Link
Young Link
Roy
Zelda
G&W
Mewtwo
Bowser
Yoshi
Ness
Kirby
Pichu

Some things look fishy to me. I think Fox above Falco, not a tie. And Ganon should definitely be above Doc.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
I've seen some people saying that kirby is worse than pichu, I'm pretty much clueless on both of them, so could someone explain why one is worse than the other.

Also, some tournaments allow wobbling, how does that affect the placement of IC's? If at all.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
Kirby has no combos, Pichu has a couple at least.
Kirby can't kill reliably except with uair at high percents, Pichu has its ok smashes.
Pichu is so small it's hard to hit, Kirby is like the perfect sandbag (even better than the real sandbag imo).

But in exchange, Pichu is lighter than Kirby and hurts itself with electric attacks to make it even easier to KO. Plus Kirby has more range.

As for which is worse...I actually can't say, they're both really terrible.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
No this guy isn't me please don't ban he isn't me.

Pichu vs kirby is normally a heated debate when people talk about it.

The biggest thing pichu has over kirby is that he can movement(pichu has wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better movement like at least 5th best in the game no one will disargee with that when kirby has like 3rd worse in about every possible way), punishment(pichu much better grab game/kill moves/juggle), kirby is autolose if they camp pichu has projectiles/speed/mix ups to approach and follow them, pichu's recovery is faster/safer/longer/better di/lives longer/fair beats some moves/ and pichu's recover is at the point where no one should ever hit him if he doesn't mess up.

kirby has better tilts, ducks, and range that's it also compareing pichu's approach to kirby is like compareing bowser approaching with fair and falcon approaching with fair. bowser's has more range but predictable/punishable as H*** vs falcon's random DD to knee with much less range that can set-up stuff much better but the knee/fair of bowser are easier to punish for both.

Also kirby must camp he has no choice if he wants to win, pichu can but he has a more solid way to approach/bait.

PICHU'S SELF-DAMAGE PLAYS VERY LITTLE ROLE IN WHY HE ISN'T GOOD HIS ONLY REAL FLAWS ARE RANGE AND HE CAN'T TAKE A HIT, DON'T SAY PICHU CAN'T WIN BECAUSE HE HURTS HIMSELF, BECAUSE HOPEFULLY THEY LANDED THE MOVE AND FOLLOWED UP LIKE FAIR TO UP-TILT TO GRAB I THINK THAT IS WORTH A 4% FOR AT LEAST 30% GEUSS THAT YOU CAN'T CHAIN THROW THEM

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
I also think pichu is better than kirby. but dont know anything, so yeah.
You just gotta watch out for kirby's gay tricks.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You know if you know anything at all about kirby most of his tricks fail. like if he sucks you up don't shake, mash like a mother F***er from b/f throw and if he up throws you to death mash up and B and you will live. There now his gay tricks can't help him.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
People should stop commenting on Pichu and Kirby because:
1) It's irrelevant to anything ever in practical terms.
2) The vast vast majority of you know very little about either character.

Also, ICG, for the love of God, no one cares, about your **** character or your **** opinion.

john!

Smash Hero
People should stop commenting on Pichu and Kirby because:
1) It's irrelevant to anything ever in practical terms.
2) The vast vast majority of you know very little about either character.

Also, ICG, for the love of God, no one cares, about your **** character or your **** opinion.
This post contradicted itself like 3 times.

- It's not "irrelevant to anything" because ICG plays Pichu.
- "No one cares" is false because others play Pichu and Kirby.
- You say others shouldn't comment for not knowing Pichu, but you insult a Pichu main for posting.

Kindly remove your head from your ***, BS.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I've seen some people saying that kirby is worse than pichu, I'm pretty much clueless on both of them, so could someone explain why one is worse than the other.

Also, some tournaments allow wobbling, how does that affect the placement of IC's? If at all.
Irrelevant, I honestly don't see the point of banning wobbling because ICs should deathgrab you anyway.

Let It Riot

Smash Cadet
Irrelevant, I honestly don't see the point of banning wobbling because ICs should deathgrab you anyway.
I'm really not sure what you said, I asked if Ice Climber's position on the tier list would change, given that they allow wobbling. I wasn't sure if this list was compiled with it being banned or not. So saying "irrelevant" seems to be a nonsensical answer. Wobbling certainly isn't irrelevant, it may not be great enough to change the position of said character, but it most certainly is not some trivial option.

Furthermore you gave me an irrelevant opinion on how you think wobbling shouldn't be banned, what points were you trying to address in my post?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm really not sure what you said, I asked if Ice Climber's position on the tier list would change, given that they allow wobbling. I wasn't sure if this list was compiled with it being banned or not. So saying "irrelevant" seems to be a nonsensical answer. Wobbling certainly isn't irrelevant, it may not be great enough to change the position of said character, but it most certainly is not some trivial option.

Furthermore you gave me an irrelevant opinion on how you think wobbling shouldn't be banned, what points were you trying to address in my post?
You seem to misunderstand.

Wobbling being unbanned or banned does nothing to their tierlist position, because they can achieve the exact same effect using different (albiet slightly more difficult) deathgrabs/infinites.

If it's a 0-death, it's meaningless how you achieve it unless it's the shortest way to do it (reach death percents) or the longest (reach 300%) because you're doing the exact same effect under the exact same conditions, it's only the method that's slightly different.

Smash Master
No. Their chaingrabs are SDIable such that you can either end up in front of or behind Popo. I'm pretty sure nobody can react fast enough to grab you regardless of which option you take before you jab them or something.

In theory, Wobbling should make IC's a much better character.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mannnn dont u guys know how hard it is to get grabs

even with wobbling allowed ic's dont get first in tournys

unless ur wobbles

who gets first in tournys without wobbling <3

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No. Their chaingrabs are SDIable such that you can either end up in front of or behind Popo. I'm pretty sure nobody can react fast enough to grab you regardless of which option you take before you jab them or something.

In theory, Wobbling should make IC's a much better character.
Heh? Grabs aren't SDI'able with very few exceptions, the follow-ups are, but that doesn't help much if you simply grab them right after you throw them, or continuously grab release them for example.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
mannnn dont u guys know how hard it is to get grabs

even with wobbling allowed ic's dont get first in tournys

unless ur wobbles

who gets first in tournys without wobbling <3
This.

Some characters can just blatantly attack their shield and can't get shieldgrabbed.

Grabbing with IC's is hard. Especially when your opponent is trying their hardest not to get ****ing grabbed.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i think samus is about the same as DK and mario/luigi tbh. She might be better than them though. I think Ganon is slightly better than samus, although it's debatable. I did forget her, but I also think she is overrated

Doc is certainly far better than her

and kirby/NEss are definitely the worst 2 characters. Pichu is better than them -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom