• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No, i don't think that's what I meant.
I think Yoshi is a little underrated, but he's got glaring weaknesses that make him bad.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
No, i don't think that's what I meant.
I think Yoshi is a little underrated, but he's got glaring weaknesses that make him bad.
Yoshi definitely has his weaknesses, but being trapped on the ledge and CC aren't any of them. He has a good CC of his own, an aerial grab, and multiple ledge stalls and ECEs to deal with these.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
As a character, I think Game and Watch > mewtwo, roy, DK, maybe even Zelda.

The problem is though, GnW has literally never had a player like Taj, Bum, Cosma, Germ, etc to play him. DireVulcan was ok, but if there was a Taj-level GnW, I think he would be top of Low Tier easily. He has a lot of good tools.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If G&W had a useable shield and maybe a few other minor buffs, he would easily be ganon's level or so. This is the type of G&W I hope to create in SD remix (plug)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
G&W sucks
No defensive options and light as hell
Yes, those are his two biggest weaknesses. But every character in that tier has 2-3 glaring weaknesses that you could easily go "X sucks, no ___ and ___"

My point was that every character in that tier has had atleast one national level player, GnW is the best char that never had any rep.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KK: Why is Yoshi so bad according to you? (don't wanna read 10 pages if you have talked about it already).
I'd be willing to bump Yoshi up to the top of D tier or something but I don't buy the hype completely yet.

He just seems kind of limited in how he can respond to feints, baiting, etc. When I play against Yoshis, his character feels like it's entirely counterfighting (CC, parry, DJ armor). But then his low priority on his high duration moves (aside from bair, I guess) makes it awkward to defend with him without either predicting or doing ridiculous (unrealistic) reactions all the time. He seems really vulnerable to timing changes by the opponent.

I also play the version where Sheik 0-deaths him. So maybe I'm biased because of that. I'm also not entirely sure how he gets through a good shield game because of how crappy his grabs are on non-FFers (or at least they seem really crappy - maybe I'm just missing something?).

I dunno, maybe it's a mistake to put him below Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch. Heck, maybe he should even be above Roy and the low end Zelda characters. But he just seems so... limited. Kind of reminds me of Ness, except Ness can't even counterattack.

The only new stuff that's really got me excited about Yoshi at all are the platform stuff. Because it sounds like the kind of stuff that might actually have potential to interact with baiting & feint strategies due to the limited ways you can go about hitting someone on a platform (and Yoshi bypasses a lot of the typical weaknesses involved in the easier modes of platform drops [the shield angle doesn't affect him] so this kind of thing seems especially good on him). But I've never seen anyone actually use any of it and the counter strategies haven't really been fleshed out either so I don't want to incorporate it into my evaluation until someone gives me a reason to do so. I've got some ideas on how it changes how characters need to interact with him but it's all theory; and going super duper theory mode on these things tends to make bad discussion.

edit:

I honestly think G&W's biggest issue is that he's a fairly 'normal' character with no real gimmicks, useful unique traits (aside from a crouch that beats some tall grabs), or BS to toss at the opponent. You can fight G&W exactly how you'd go about fighting a Marth or Ganon or similar 'standard' ranged character and be successful. With characters like Yoshi, ICs, Pikachu, and Luigi there are a lot of silly nuances you need to know because they have weird moves, awkward body contortions, multiple recovery options, fairly unique character traits, etc. that can throw you off. G&W has some really quality tools but fighting him is really straight forward so it's hard to produce cheesy wins with him - this is unattractive in a low tier AFAIK. He's also soft to grabs that force techs and space animals run him over very easily.

Armada

Smash Lord
1: Bad recovery: Pretty much impossible to not kill him when he is off stage. A very slow recovery from a big char is really bad.

2: Have to guess/read a lot: This makes the combo game way worse for him especially on high level of play when one hit pretty much means to be death.

3: When he is in the air it is no secret what Ganon is locking for. Not that hard to space it and then grab especially with chars that have at least decent running speed.

4: Bad under pressure: What is Ganon best option during pressure? Upp-b or roll. Both of those are not good options and he struggle a lot once you understand Ganons range exc.

5: Really easy to combo because he is so big and he also have slow moves and that makes it even harder to get away in late part of many combos. Easy to combo and bad recovery means it will be even more stupid because putting him offstage means dead and he is so easy to get offstage.

I really don't see how Ganon is a better char then Samus/Pika/Luigi/Yoshi cause for me it feels like all those chars is better because they have some really strong things and Ganons range is probably the best he has (and tons of really bad stuff) and that is not as good as those chars good thing and they also have less bad things.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I feel like you are underestimating the sheer strength of a Ganon hit once he gets in. Like I think he needs to be lower than he is now (mainly because I think Pika should be higher), but not below Luigi or Yoshi. At least, not until I actually see a Luigi or Yoshi player actually do like...anything (Vudu is good but he seems like an extreme outlier, much more so than Kage).

:phone:

NNID
dansalvato
(Vudu is good but he seems like an extreme outlier, much more so than Kage).

I'm not arguing about the tier list but I'd just like to point out that a single outlier is enough to demonstrate the viability of a character. A single example of a character playing very well is enough to say that the character is good.

Max?

Smash Champion
There are a number of solid Luigis, and one **** Ganon. They are both still *** tho.

Main Falco

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I'm not arguing about the tier list but I'd just like to point out that a single outlier is enough to demonstrate the viability of a character. A single example of a character playing very well is enough to say that the character is good.
Well the way I see it, the outliers are important but should honestly be viewed on a larger scale. For instance look at the (general) top ten players in the world...there are one MAYBE two foxes (if Mango is considered a Fox main now). That is a surprisingly low number considering his tier list placement. The thing is, once you expand the sample to the top 50, all of a sudden there is a huge explosion of Fox mains. This attributes itself to the fact that he is generally the best character in the game.

Essentially, the "best" player of any main (the outlier) is never going to be a good representation of the general meta. Look at Armada: Peach is a great character, but once you get past Armada it may be hard to find another Peach in the top 25 players. Armada's status as an outlier doesn't attribute itself to Peach's potential...yes because Peach is capable of doing these things Armada was able to abuse her potential, it is more connected to the fact that Armada is just an amazing player. This is even more accentuated in Hbox and Jiggs; while he is amazing at abusing Jiggs' potential, Jiggs isn't inherently THAT good of a character. This shows in the general distribution pattern of Jiggs in relation to top players...or maybe a better way of putting it is a lack thereof.

There are a number of solid Luigis, and one **** Ganon.
Why are you comparing the number of "solid" mains of a character to the "****" mains?

The way I see it

**** Luigis:

Eddy Mexico
Vudu

Solid Luigis:

Vist (?)
-edit- Abate

I'm admittedly lacking in knowledge of many Luigi mains, but this kind of speaks for itself in terms of me not knowing anyone (I like to think I keep up with Melee a lot).

**** Ganons:

Kage
Linguini

Solid Ganons:

BizarroFlame
RockCrock
G. Vice

While the numbers aren't that far apart, the results of tournies definitely favor the Ganon players.

Max?

Smash Champion
Abate's Luigi is freaking ****, so is Blea Gelo in Florida. Guini and Bizarro are retired iirc

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
edit:

I honestly think G&W's biggest issue is that he's a fairly 'normal' character with no real gimmicks, useful unique traits (aside from a crouch that beats some tall grabs), or BS to toss at the opponent. You can fight G&W exactly how you'd go about fighting a Marth or Ganon or similar 'standard' ranged character and be successful. With characters like Yoshi, ICs, Pikachu, and Luigi there are a lot of silly nuances you need to know because they have weird moves, awkward body contortions, multiple recovery options, fairly unique character traits, etc. that can throw you off. G&W has some really quality tools but fighting him is really straight forward so it's hard to produce cheesy wins with him - this is unattractive in a low tier AFAIK. He's also soft to grabs that force techs and space animals run him over very easily.
this in its entirety. game and watch is so straightforward ;_;

Triple R

Smash Lord
I'm jumping on the train that Ganon is bad. He's not low tier bad, but he's bad mid tier.

I mean, Kirby wins the matchup against Ganon. How much worse could you get?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Linguini's rusty Ganon is still better than basically every Luigi around today except perhaps Eddy Mexico.

Ganon sucks but worse than Luigi? Do you have any idea how bad Luigi actually is? Any at all?

unknown522

Some guy
@ jockmaster: I'm prett sure that rockcrock is at least as good as vudujin. If not better.

My point is, if you have vudujin listed as **** Luigi, rockcrock should be one (still I think by your standings of that list vudujin should be solid, but meh).

Also yeah, abate is pretty solid too

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Crouch single-handedly wins the matchup.
Wait what?

@ jockmaster: I'm prett sure that rockcrock is at least as good as vudujin. If not better.

My point is, if you have vudujin listed as **** Luigi, rockcrock should be one (still I think by your standings of that list vudujin should be solid, but meh).
Well even if that's true, it simply reinforces my point -_-

Luigi is worse than ganon, imo, but not by a whole lot. Ganon is pree crappy though. Worse than Pika for sure.
Yes I agree that Pika is better than Ganon. I think Pika is better than Samus and maybe Doc as well.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think samus kinda sucks, tbh...
Like.... Who does she even do well against?
She's ok vs spacies...
And pree good vs ICs...
But who else does she do well against?

Top Bottom