• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
yooo... Pichu is fast as ****.
and gets all over the map in like a no time at all.
And his grabs ****.
And his recovery *****.
And he has a **** Nair so he can approach pretty well (despite range)
oh and he gimps stuff really good.

his problems are that he has no range and dies at 20%.
He's a bad character.
but he's better than boozer.
and maybe kirby.

Max?

Smash Champion
Pichu is ****ing awful. His nair is awful and easily CCed. He can't grab people. His defensive options are all awful (****ty tech roll, can't really CC) and he dies at super low %

Bowser ****ing sucks, but at least he's got UpB and Fair.

Kirby is easily the worst. No KO moves, bad recovery, can't combo but gets comboed, fat, ridiculously light. The list goes on.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Kirby's uair is surprisingly good at killing. I don't know how he ever lands it, but it's strong.

And bair, I guess?

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Fox/Falco,
Jigglypuff,
Sheik,
Peach,
Captain Falcon,
Ice Climbers,
Marth,
Samus,
Dr. Mario,
Pikachu/Luigi,
Mario/Link,
Yoshi,
Ganondorf,
Donkey Kong,
Ness,
Mr. Game & Watch,
Mewtwo,
Zelda,
Roy/Young Link,
Bowser/Kirby,
Master Hand,
Pichu,

Happy?
The first poster with balls enough to say a list, nice.
I like some parts, but some I don't follow.
The reallly low placement of Marth, gannon and DK for example, care to back those up? Also, I can dig the Yoshi placement :D

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If you care so much, here have another :) (It's not like I had anything better to do...)
S Fox = Falco, Jiggs
A: Sheik, Marth, Peach, CF, ICs
B: Doc, Samus, Pikachu, Ganon
C: Mario = Luigi, DK, PAL - Yoshi, Links
D: Zelda, M2, NTSC - Yoshi (?), GaW = Roy
Why don't you just give up: Ness, Pichu = Bowser = Kirby

Sorry for the equal signs, but those are so equal to me that I can't be bothered to think one is superior to the other.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Pretty solid list, but I can't help but wonder why you separated PAL and NTSC Yoshis so heavily, I know in PAL Yoshi does better against Sheiks because of the CG, and he is a little heavier, but I don't think it is quite a big thing. . .

Also, I kind of like that you put the equals signs between characters you thought were equal.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hmmmm imo:

S: Falco/Fox, Sheik
A: Peach, Marth, Puff
B: Falcon, ICs, Doc
C: Pika, Ganon, Samus, Luigi
D: Mario, DK, Y.Link, Link, Zelda
Etc tier: G&w, yoshi, roy, ness, mewtwo, Pichu, bowser/kirby

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
S - Falco, Fox, Sheik, Puff
A - Marth, Peach
B - Falcon, ICs, Doc
C - Ganon, Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, Mario
D - DK, Link, Y.Link, Roy, Zelda, Mewtwo, G&W, Yoshi
E - Pichu, Ness, Kirby, Bowser

S & A can probably be fused for compactness. I just figure the top 4 are better at going solo in a tournament but they're similar character quality to the members of A for the most part. Puff and/or Sheik might be arguable as A tier but I think Sheik is about as good as the spacies. Puff I'm less convinced.

I want to put ICs above Falcon but it feels like Falcon is better at staying in the game and there are a bunch of subtle win conditions & weaknesses that ICs have to deal with that Falcon doesn't. ICs having a better MU with Falco & Sheik is really nice though. Doc I think makes sense as third in that group. Maybe he's C tier but his kill power is kind of good if he can hit his KO moves and a lot of them are fast.

Still not sure how to order Ganon, Pika, Samus. Luigi has big moves that kill, which puts him above Mario. Not sure about DK. Kind of feel he's C sometimes because his mobility is way better than anyone in that tier except Yoshi & Roy and he's got a lot of good kill power & some basic combos that work out of throw on basically everyone. But he's also basically a 4-move character with no normals (aside from grab & an incredibly meh d-tilt) so his combat game is super duper limited. I'm not sold either way.

D tier is just a mess of characters that kind of have a few things going for them. E tier is the characters that I feel are basically complete garbage. Don't really care about the ordering of E tier too much.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
"Etc tier" is a pretty good name, I liked it.

As much as I hate to admit it because you lowered Yoshi, I think KirbyKaze has the most legit list so far, and vanir's is a close 2nd, especially considering their similarities. Regarding KK's list, how far do you think Falco > Fox, and what are you basing that off of? Also, why didn't you include Falcon in A tier Also, how much do you weigh in Pika and Peach based on their standout players AXE and Armada? Do you ignore them completely as outliers((because of lots of skill), view them as signs of that character's potential, or something else?

Not trying to be a pain, just wondering on some of your ideas :p

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I highly agree with .vanir's Jigglypuff placement. I always thought people placed Puff way too high.

Stevo

Smash Champion
S - Falco, Fox, Sheik, Puff
A - Marth, Peach
B - Falcon, ICs, Doc
C - Ganon, Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, Mario
D - DK, Link, Y.Link, Roy, Zelda, Mewtwo, G&W, Yoshi
E - Pichu, Ness, Kirby, Bowser
I really like this list, though I am leaning more towards DK under the links, and Young link above Link.... and Yoshi above G & W and Mewtwo.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I feel Falco's better at stage control & converting stray hits into damage. This game is becoming more and more about how well you can checkmate the opponent. I feel Falco's better at this than Fox. Fox has an easier time killing, but I feel Falco's control & consistent damage output is better.

I don't think Falcon is as good as the characters in "A tier". That's why he's not there. Plain and simple. His gameplay seems way more random and he's got a crappier MU spread AFAIK.

When it comes to people like Armada & Axe it's hard to not be biased but I try to pay attention mostly to the strategies they're doing in their matches, rather than "Oh my god Pikachu got top 8 at FC, clearly Pikachu is 10th in the game instead of 15th." It's hard to completely cut out the number though - I'm sure it's altered my perception of the character at least a bit. Probably more.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Can I join the cool kids club too?

SS. Falco, Fox, Sheik
S. Jiggs, Peach
A. Marth, ICs, Falcon, Dr. Mario
B. Pikachu, Ganon, Samus, Luigi, Mario
C. Yoshi, DK, Link, Y.Link
D. Zelda, Mewtwo, G&W, Roy
E. Pichu, Kirby, Ness, Bowser

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
S: Falco/Fox, Sheik
A: Marth/Jiggs, Peach
B: Captain Falcon
C: ICs
D: Doc/Ganon, Pikachu, Samus
E: Mario/Luigi, Young Link, DK, Link
F: Mewtwo/Zelda, Roy, Yoshi
G: G&W, Ness, Bowser/Pichu, Kirby

Slashes mean I consider the characters to be so close that I don't really have an opinion on which should be higher.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
More about "checkmates" and stage control. . . more abstract elements making Falco better, and explaining why he seems to do better at tourneys? I can dig it. I like how everyone ranges Yoshi between 22 and 15, what a crazy character. I agree that doc shouldn't be in the same tier as Marth/Falcon, but I like I.C. in their own tier.

This thread is fun.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
1) Falco (for now, I guess. He's really strong right now)
2) Fox
3) Sheik
4) Marth
5) Peach
6) Puff
7) Falcon
8) ICs/Doc
9) Ganon
10) Samus
11) Pika
12) Luigi

Falco over Fox: I'm still not 100% convinced, but he out-performs Fox by a lot, and seems to have stronger strategies overall.

Marth v Peach: Not really interested in going too far into this, but I don't see what Peach does that would put her over him right now, and I still haven't found a reasonable explanation. To be honest, right now they're worth about the same.

Puff: She's bad, guys. She doesn't really have a good way of interacting with shields, besides tomahawks, and once you understand that, her pressure is kinda meh. She has a weakness to shielding that I don't think anyone else in the top seven has. Yeah, it sucks dying randomly to rest, or to bair chains, but proper DI/techs mitigates a lot of this. She feeds off of a lot of tiny mistakes, imo, so just don't make those.

Ehh. I guess she might be better than Peach. Maybe.

There is a small rift between Puff and Falcon. Placing Falcon over Doc for the time being due to uncertainty.

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
Can I join the cool kids club too?

SS. Falco, Fox, Sheik
S. Jiggs, Peach
A. Marth, ICs, Falcon, Dr. Mario
B. Pikachu, Ganon, Samus, Luigi, Mario
C. Yoshi, DK, Link, Y.Link
D. Zelda, Mewtwo, G&W, Roy
E. Pichu, Kirby, Ness, Bowser
put dr. mario as first in B tier and this is the best list I've seen so far aside from the DK >links debate which i don't care lol

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Puff: She's bad, guys. She doesn't really have a good way of interacting with shields, besides tomahawks, and once you understand that, her pressure is kinda meh. She has a weakness to shielding that I don't think anyone else in the top seven has. Yeah, it sucks dying randomly to rest, or to bair chains, but proper DI/techs mitigates a lot of this. She feeds off of a lot of tiny mistakes, imo, so just don't make those.
Good reasoning. Jigglypuff isn't bad, but she isn't as good as people think either. It's basically just B-air, grab, U-tilt, or Rest with her.

Armada

Smash Lord
KK: Why is Yoshi so bad according to you? (don't wanna read 10 pages if you have talked about it already).

I think Yoshi is stupid and so underated. Maybe because I have played with Leffen but still. Yoshis Parrys is really good and makes his deffensive game really good and it's not a gimmick it works really good.

After the normal top 9 (ICs better then Falcon in my opinion though) I think Pika/Luigi/Samus/Yoshi is im some order. Ganon is way worse in my opinion and I can explain way if anyone wanna hear

DJC is really good too and a lot of chars have a lot of problem dealing with it because their moves is not good enough to "take away" his super armor and they get punished for it.

Yoshis punish game is actually way more about "following DI" stuff then Ganon for example that needs to guess because he is so slow and that means beeing consistent with Yoshis punish game should be easier (not becasue the combos is easy but because it is more about following DI after a hit then guess).

Yoshi also have a really good deffensive game from plattforms and hit him when he is shielding is way worse then any other char.

He also have a pretty good ledge stalling and can use the eggs in a really good way.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
KirbyKaze: I wasn't being sarcastic, if you'd like to go into detail, then I wouldn't mind, but I don't think you have to. I really do agree with Falco>Fox and Puff being overrated, awesome explanation, ShroudedOne.

I love the Yoshi support. Also, one thing most people don't know about Yoshi, he has a very good oos option: Shield Drop! I've been trying to implement it more often, and shield drop -> platform cancel U-air is super useful.

Armada thinking Yoshi is underrated made my day.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
SS: Falco, Fox
S: Sheik, Marth, Puff
A: Falcon, Peach
B: ICs, Doc
C: Ganon, Pikachu
D: Mario, Samus, Luigi
E: Donkey Kong, Young Link, Zelda
F: Link, Roy, Mewtwo
G: Game & Watch, Yoshi, Pichu
H: Ness, Kirby, Bowser