• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Matchup Chart v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I know countless players who are like "omg who should I main"

CHECK THE TIER LIST

I know countless players who look at the better players in the scene "OMG WHO BEATS MARTH?"
Poor them.
But in all other examples "LOOK AT THE MU CHART"

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I know countless players who are like "omg who should I main"

CHECK THE TIER LIST
yeah but that's like not even the advice that top player's give. Few legitimate pros tells new players, atleast in a serious manner, to go pick their character based on the tier list.

Like this thread for instance: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=314481

KK makes some really good posts on the matter, and if our goal is to help new players with these lists, we'd probably accomplish that goal better if we had something like KK's 5th post in that thread right at the top, so they know right away what the probably best thing to do is.

Here was his post, btw (his succinct one anyways):
In general, don't play a character because <person> tells you to play a character. If your drive to do something comes from an external influence, you're gonna run into problems when that driving force goes. Just go with your gut for now. Worry about complicated nonsense like "success" later.
Dunno, maybe it's useful to be able to concisely tell a new player "Check out the tier list if you want to know who to main" (even though that's kinda weird, since his level of play is probably the least applicable to what the tier list is based on) haha

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"If you want to increase your chances of victory, you should probably be using a high tier character"
> "omg I CAN PLAY HIGH TIER CHARACTER! YAY"

> "omg, I like Fox a lot, and he's totally mid tier! QQ"
DON'T WORRY SON, CHECK THE MU CHART TO PICK A CHARACTER TO COVER YOUR WEAKNESSES
>"OMG I CAN USE META KNIGHT TO COVER ALL MY WEAKNESSES! AND ALSO OUTDO THE MUS FOX WINS IN BY NOTICEABLE MARGINS!"

see?
Information.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I think Marth +2's Gdubs but a lot of people disagree with me, they think it's +1

Snake however, is even for Gdubs, people for some reason still think it's 2008 or something lol

We **** him in the air and he ***** us on the ground. This matchup is only stupid because of the weight difference, but even so we kill snake earlier than most characters.

It's slightly in his advantage but i dunno how it translates into the new system so i'd say even is closer.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
"If you want to increase your chances of victory, you should probably be using a high tier character"
> "omg I CAN PLAY HIGH TIER CHARACTER! YAY"

> "omg, I like Fox a lot, and he's totally mid tier! QQ"
DON'T WORRY SON, CHECK THE MU CHART TO PICK A CHARACTER TO COVER YOUR WEAKNESSES
>"OMG I CAN USE META KNIGHT TO COVER ALL MY WEAKNESSES! AND ALSO OUTDO THE MUS FOX WINS IN BY NOTICEABLE MARGINS!"

see?
Information.
I guess if these are the things we want to be telling our new, aspiring players, but I've seen very few good players whose best decision in game was looking at the tier list, and deciding who was the most successful character to use from that, instead of just learning the game and finding who they were best with or enjoyed the most. Seems weird that we put so much focus on new players for them to play to win, instead of using even a fraction of the amount of posts on learning to play.

But it doesn't really matter, I'm not here to tell you guys what to spend your time posting, and what to not post, my motivation for this game is pretty killed since the MK ban announcement, so I'm switching to Ocarina of Time, and some Melee on the side. None of my business to tell you guys what you should and shouldn't do, but it seems like no one ever considers these things anyways haha.

It feels weird that the prevailing advice that we give our new players when they're trying to figure out who they play is something along the lines of "Look at the tier list that's based on top level play, and pick one of the characters in high tier and work on your matchups" instead of something more like what KK was advising, stuff like "Play who you like and who you'll personally learn best with, and switch from that potentially bad character later on if you have aspirations of winning, and your character isn't cutting it".

and it seems weird that large parts of our community spends SO much time debating why their character is better than someone else's, or something, like it helps them in game in some way or something.

Do what you like I suppose, not up to me to decide, just my latest opinions I guess :)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I guess if these are the things we want to be telling our new, aspiring players, but I've seen very few good players whose best decision in game was looking at the tier list, and deciding who was the most successful character to use from that, instead of just learning the game and finding who they were best with or enjoyed the most. Seems weird that we put so much focus on new players for them to play to win, instead of using even a fraction of the amount of posts on learning to play.

But it doesn't really matter, I'm not here to tell you guys what to spend your time posting, and what to not post, my motivation for this game is pretty killed since the MK ban announcement, so I'm switching to Ocarina of Time, and some Melee on the side. None of my business to tell you guys what you should and shouldn't do, but it seems like no one ever considers these things anyways haha.

It feels weird that the prevailing advice that we give our new players when they're trying to figure out who they play is something along the lines of "Look at the tier list that's based on top level play, and pick one of the characters in high tier and work on your matchups" instead of something more like what KK was advising, stuff like "Play who you like and who you'll personally learn best with, and switch from that potentially bad character later on if you have aspirations of winning, and your character isn't cutting it".

and it seems weird that large parts of our community spends SO much time debating why their character is better than someone else's, or something, like it helps them in game in some way or something.

Do what you like I suppose, not up to me to decide, just my latest opinions I guess :)
I like this post a lot.

I think people should pick their own goals in the game rather than letting others decide. Provides the best enjoyment.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think Marth +2's Gdubs but a lot of people disagree with me, they think it's +1

Snake however, is even for Gdubs, people for some reason still think it's 2008 or something lol

We **** him in the air and he ***** us on the ground. This matchup is only stupid because of the weight difference, but even so we kill snake earlier than most characters.

It's slightly in his advantage but i dunno how it translates into the new system so i'd say even is closer.
I agree 100% with this.

55:45 Snake's favour
65:35 Marth's favour

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think Diddy is his worst as well, but I dunno... 70:30 seems like a stretch

I hate ratios
I hate ratios too but the match up is even when played on most of G&W's best stages and I only see him having a slight advantage on RC which can always be banned. Everything else, he gets completely destroyed

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
probably because sheik is listed as -3
I'm aware of this, I was just wondering why. :)

Edit:

If you need further clarification on what "why" means, perhaps examples will do, like:

Sheik's dair kills Lucas at 20%

or

Sheik has a up-throw to vanish combo

or

d-smash does 999% damage to Lucas and only Lucas.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
G&W is really good at aircamping though. He just can't do anything if Diddy decides to press the shield button.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
He's saying if we can air camp ICs, we can air camp Diddy
this once again doesnt make sense though although I agree with aero.

The two characters don't translate to each other in any way. that's like saying if fox can camp DDD then he can also camp falco. The tools of the characters, ect are completely different. Especially in the case of diddy and ics as they are some of the more unique characters in brawl.

Regardless if gaw could viably air camp both the statement just doesn't make sense (although I honestly believe that unless there is a rush, aka a low time limit left this strategy in general is pretty rustic and won't win anyone consistent tournament sets).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Just to comment on tables point.

1. The only thing Ive ever really gained from the tier list is more motivation to play Sonic as best as I possibly could, to show people that he really wasnt the 5th worst character in the game/low tier. But in that situation I had already picked my character before seeing the list.

2. There are a ton of people who choose their main based on the tier list. Most of them are either Meta Knight mains or Ganondorf mains.

3. Nobody should EVER choose their character based on the tier list.
I had this situation with a friend of mine that ive been training. He plays a mean samus, but as everyone (including him) knows, samus is super buttcheeks. So he asked me, 'I like samus and Im good with her, but I need to play a better character' To which my response was 'Well, what do you like in a character?' He said a bunch of different things that pretty much equated to, 'I like good melee range and the ability to kill from a distance.' So I gave him pretty much the only good character in the game that can do that. Lucario. (it actually surprised me how few characters can kill with a projectile in this game.)

I taught him some basic and intermediate stuff and his lucario was probably almost as good as his samus THAT DAY.

Either pick a character that you actually like, or pick a character with traits that you like. That will always take you further than just playing a character because theyre good/top tier. Except for MK, he breaks the rules

Laem

Smash Champion
How does sheik beat lucas +3 o_O
That would like only make sense if sheik could GR standing regrab him like Marth can

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But they can SDI ftilt 9001 times and teleport to the other part of the stage if they have superhuman abilities so obviously it's never gonna work.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I agree with everything Table said.

Also, I think a lot of players here have become dettached from reality.

I remember when some sonics beat some top mks at a tourney, and people were saying he's still not viable because theoretically he should still get owned. Even if that's true, that has no relevance if in the real word if no one is playing at that theoretical level and top mks are losing to sonics. If top mks are losing to sonics, then sonic is viable in the real world, regardless of how viable he is in the theoretical world.

:phone:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
On Sheik > Lucas, ftilt to regrab and air release to DACUS are relatively big factors iirc. Dunno if that really justifies a -3, but I'm no expert. Namesearch bait, Judo get in here lol

Sonic... is really good. Just the sheer amount of options he can keep open is awesome. He doesn't have the best MUs, but imo he's one of those characters that can make up for it pretty easily in practice because of the amount of tools you have to work with, which really helps the smarter player overcome a disadvantageous MU. Better in practice than in theory, if you will. Sonic should probably be next to Peach on the tier list or something, idk.

:059:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
this once again doesnt make sense though although I agree with aero.

The two characters don't translate to each other in any way. that's like saying if fox can camp DDD then he can also camp falco. The tools of the characters, ect are completely different. Especially in the case of diddy and ics as they are some of the more unique characters in brawl.

Regardless if gaw could viably air camp both the statement just doesn't make sense (although I honestly believe that unless there is a rush, aka a low time limit left this strategy in general is pretty rustic and won't win anyone consistent tournament sets).
it makes sense. One of the main reasons ICs **** GaW so hard is because our camping isn't really effective because we can't fight back when they try to stop it. Our only option is to continue to jump, and if we're out of jumps we'll get uaired. Diddy kong has bananas and aerials to stop us, but we can insta throw bananas and dair through aerials. To say we can run away from ICs and not diddy makes way less sense.

Diddy isn't even awful. Barely -2 imo.

EDIT: Gonna clarify before someone takes this as face value.

I do not mean to say diddy's options are useless vs our air camping, just that we have more answers to his anti-air camping than we do vs ICs anti-air camping.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Somebody may have said this already but I didn't read all the walls of text, but anyway
@unabletable

What I meant by the tier list and MU chart being useful for newer players is that it gives newer players an idea of the success they may/may not achieve. It also lets them know that they may have to make the decision regarding switching mains, picking up secondaries, which MUs to study the most, etc. without actually telling them which decision to make.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I agree with everything Table said.

Also, I think a lot of players here have become dettached from reality.

I remember when some sonics beat some top mks at a tourney, and people were saying he's still not viable because theoretically he should still get owned. Even if that's true, that has no relevance if in the real word if no one is playing at that theoretical level and top mks are losing to sonics. If top mks are losing to sonics, then sonic is viable in the real world, regardless of how viable he is in the theoretical world.

:phone:
you might want to inform yourself before you wreck yourself

(psss, lone circuit championships is just an example)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
If GaW can run away from ICs that effectively, he could definitely run away from diddy if he got an early lead.
ICs can't really camp G&W with their projectiles since they go straight down. Diddy has better projectiles for camping G&W than ICs. G&W also has one of the worst trip animations which means that Diddy can do more against G&W after the trip then he can against most other characters. If the Diddy plays this MU super campy, the only way I could see the G&W winning is if he gets a 9 on the last stock or he times the Diddy out after he gets a 9 kill.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
it makes sense. One of the main reasons ICs **** GaW so hard is because our camping isn't really effective because we can't fight back when they try to stop it. Our only option is to continue to jump, and if we're out of jumps we'll get uaired. Diddy kong has bananas and aerials to stop us, but we can insta throw bananas and dair through aerials. To say we can run away from ICs and not diddy makes way less sense.

Diddy isn't even awful. Barely -2 imo.

EDIT: Gonna clarify before someone takes this as face value.

I do not mean to say diddy's options are useless vs our air camping, just that we have more answers to his anti-air camping than we do vs ICs anti-air camping.
you didnt understand what i meant.

but I don't really think GaW can air camp diddy anyway. Maybe on BF?

He can just put you in bad situations until you commit to something since you're in a *****y position anyway. Also, peanuts are a *****, and fair beats key at some angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom