• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most boring/hated stretches of generally good games

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Did you first play OoT years after it came out or something? Did you play a newer Zelda before OoT?

because when that first came out. oh my god. it was the holy grail
I must have played it back when it first came out, i was like 7 or 8 then. I couldn't ever rescue the fish girl from that whale, i remember replaying the game atleast 3 times and always getting stuck at that point. Oddly i managed to get all 120 stars in mario though. Anyway i stopped playing it for a few years.

After completing the Wind Waker i set up my old Nintendo so i could see what all the fuss was about because all the OoT fans were complaining about the cartoony graphics in WW. I got to the fire temple, got stuck, and realised that i hadn't really found the game anywhere near as fun as WW. And if i hadn't found the part of the game that makes it so amazing by the fire temple then it really wasnt worth it.

OoT is just nostalgia at its finest.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It hasn't aged very well, but just because you weren't amazed by less than half of the game five years after it came out doesn't mean that the heaps and heaps of critical praise the game has received (to this day) is all "nostlagia".

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It hasn't aged very well, but just because you weren't amazed by less than half of the game five years after it came out doesn't mean that the heaps and heaps of critical praise the game has received (to this day) is all "nostlagia".
When GTA 4 came out it was described by IGN to be the best game since OoT. GTA 4 got heaps of praise.

GTA 4 is awful. And judging by how fast people stopped playing that game, i'm not the only one who thinks that.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Horrible comparison. A more logical one would be GTA3. It is more revolutionary, more appraised today, and almost as old as OoT. And not awful.

IGN is also ******** for saying that, and I imagine they were bedazzled by the Euphoria engine and the depth of the city. They also hardly represent the whole of the critical gaming community.

Tons of people still play through OoT today, and no, it's not only people who played it when they were kids.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Horrible comparison. A more logical one would be GTA3. It is more revolutionary, more appraised today, and almost as old as OoT. And not awful.

IGN is also ******** for saying that, and I imagine they were bedazzled by the Euphoria engine and the depth of the city. They also hardly represent the whole of the critical gaming community.

Tons of people still play through OoT today, and no, it's not only people who played it when they were kids.
Ok we'll ignore the magazines. The ammount of games that have been heaped with praise from them (ODST, GTA 4, ect) usually end up being below the standard they were made out to be. In fact the only example i can think of that wasnt was Portal.

Anyway, Oot is in the gaming book of records for being the most critically acclaimed game of all time. Basically there's something about this game that arguably makes it better than every game ever. So what is it?

You might think thats an unfair example so ok, lets just compare it to WW and TP. There's something about it that makes it utterly surpass WW and be miles better than TP. So what is it? Twilight Princess did all the same things that OoT did, but with improved graphics, fighting on horseback and new weapons. WW had a deeper storyline where you connected with the characters more, yet apparently OoT is in a whole different league to these 2 games.

So what is it that makes it so much better than these if it isnt nostalgia?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
That's a tough one to answer Pluvia.....

I think the fact that it was so revolutionary that made it stand out.The music,gameplay and story were all unbelievably good.(and still stand the test of time....see what I did there ;) )

Getting 100% was pretty tough too.(Which I may add I did without a guide)

Windwaker and TP both had their bits that were both boring and annoying in my opinion.Ocarina I enjoyed start to finish.

At the end of the day it's at the players discretion whether it's the best or not.

I may get flamed to bits for this but despite Ocarinas greatness I think Majoras mask is better.

Oh yeah and I thought of a part of a game I hate.The knights of the nine quest in Oblivion.The only good parts were fighting the giant bear and the last boss.The things a man will do for achievements.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's better than Twilight Princess because it did it first, has better puzzles and gameplay, and is both more difficult and rewarding.

I find your argument for Wind Waker void , because a video game getting a deeper plot isn't necessarily impressive to me and has no bearing on the quality of a game.

OoT is one of the most impressive leaps in gaming from 2D to 3D ever. At the time, the game world was incredibly immersive and there was really not a game that had such a grand sense of scope and "epicness" before OoT (okay, there was Final Fantasy VII. Bet you think everyone who loves that one is just blinded by nostalgia too, huh?). The overworld is rather barren and small by today's standards, but it is still a more interesting and explorable overworld than Twilight Princess. The game is just rich with small and big details about it. The way the game time passed in a relatively more watchable way. You could stand somewhere and watch the sun go across the sky, set, and watch the moon do the same. The vast, different ways you saw all the NPC character's lives changed as you moved back and forth through time.

I'm not gonna go on because it all boils down to opinion. But you seem to be disregarding that all of the most revered and classic games age. The "best" ones are the ones that most revolutionized the industry, offered the best, most dynamic gameplay FOR ITS TIME, and is also measured by its lasting effect on future games.

I'm not saying nostalgia isn't a factor. OoT is very overrated, yes. But comparing one of the most absolute fundamental games in the past 15 years to a completely overhyped, overblown game like GTA4 or a game that's only a hit on the internet (Portal) is just silly.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It's better than Twilight Princess because it did it first, has better puzzles and gameplay, and is both more difficult and rewarding.

I find your argument for Wind Waker void , because a video game getting a deeper plot isn't necessarily impressive to me and has no bearing on the quality of a game.

OoT is one of the most impressive leaps in gaming from 2D to 3D ever. At the time, the game world was incredibly immersive and there was really not a game that had such a grand sense of scope and "epicness" before OoT (okay, there was Final Fantasy VII. Bet you think everyone who loves that one is just blinded by nostalgia too, huh?). The overworld is rather barren and small by today's standards, but it is still a more interesting and explorable overworld than Twilight Princess. The game is just rich with small and big details about it. The way the game time passed in a relatively more watchable way. You could stand somewhere and watch the sun go across the sky, set, and watch the moon do the same. The vast, different ways you saw all the NPC character's lives changed as you moved back and forth through time.

I'm not gonna go on because it all boils down to opinion. But you seem to be disregarding that all of the most revered and classic games age. The "best" ones are the ones that most revolutionized the industry, offered the best, most dynamic gameplay FOR ITS TIME, and is also measured by its lasting effect on future games.

I'm not saying nostalgia isn't a factor. OoT is very overrated, yes. But comparing one of the most absolute fundamental games in the past 15 years to a completely overhyped, overblown game like GTA4 or a game that's only a hit on the internet (Portal) is just silly.
I would quote each bits seperately but i'm using my mobile and havent figured out how to copy and paste yet.

Anyway, doing it first isnt a valid argument against nostalgia, in fact it only strenghthens the nostalgia argument. Better gameplay and puzzles seems a littile odd as TP and OoT are effectively the same there, the only main difference seems to be the difficulty. The battles in TP are without a doubt easier, but the puzzles being easier is debatable. My friend has never completed TP yet has completed OoT 4 times (though i'm sure some of it has to do with he got bored and never bothered to complete it) and i had to use a guide for Ganons castle, the only other game i had to use a guide for was Majora's Mask. And i dont see what makes OoT more rewarding than WW.

Never played a Final Fantasy game so i can't comment there.

WW also has breathtaking beauty. You could also say TP does. Its just that we're so used to all that stuff now. Also, you can take you're time to admire those games without HEY! LISTEN! every 3 minutes.

Basically, it all boils down to it being new at the time. Unfortunately, that is almost the definition of nostalgia. The only lasting affect it seems to have had is its brought up occasionaly to show how much other games fail compared to it, but with little evidence to show us why they do.

And that is why i dont like Oot. Because it is made to be a shining beacon above other games such as WW and TP, but nobody can give a straight answer as to why.

Edit:

And yes it is a fundamental game, there's no question of that. I would even say its better than most games these days. But miles better than WW? Nah.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Basically, it all boils down to it being new at the time. Unfortunately, that is almost the definition of nostalgia.

No. that is the definition of "revolutionary".

nos⋅tal⋅gia
  /nɒˈstældʒə, -dʒiə, nə-/
–noun
1. a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
2. something that elicits or displays nostalgia.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
The Triforce Hunt is Wind Waker. I'm currently playing the game, hoping to complete it for the first time (after 7 years) and maybe become a Zelda fan, but I can't stand the idea of sailing everywhere and trying to get 8 Triforce pieces.

Also, Chapter 4 of Paper Mario: TTYD when you become purple. That irritates me because it feels pretty **** difficult because you have to go back with no partner.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Not to mention going on numerous Rupee hunts to fulfill the 398 Rupee charge PER MAP!!!

Playing through GH5, there were songs that bored the poop outta me. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that the better, more difficult songs, were still waiting.

Suspect

Smash Hero
lolwut?

That stage is fun with good music.

Best stage in Sonic 3, then the stage after.

M.K

Level 55
Paper Mario 64:

I would say my least favorite part of Paper Mario 64 is the island of the Piranha Plants where you meet Sushi and have to find the 5 Yoshi Kids. I don't know, the enemies in those areas were so annoying and I didn't enjoy navigating the jungle/volcano.

Paper Mario : TTYD:

Text Boxes.
Nuff Said.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
WW Triforce hunt. That made me hate tingle so much. He was the only character i didnt want in brawl.

All of OoT. I stopped playing at the fire temple and had no urge to continue, i never got to the fun part of that game it seems.

Every Victory Road. Max Repel, Max Repel, Max Repel...
I dunno, victory road, although unecessary, isn't really that hard. Other than the fact that you need an hm slave that takes up space for useless hms like flash, its not bad. I really breezed through them. Weird how they get bigger every gen though...

Also @meta-kirby. I wouldnt say that is the hardest part, but for me it was finding the **** hammer... it took me weeks to find it and break open that box.... but you could argue that it doesnt count when you play the game when you are only 5 or 6... and the fact I never really got far after that

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mostly the treasure hunting stages in Sonic Adventure 2, the second time you go through the Egg Corridor in Cave Story, and the Mecha Birdo fight in I Wanna Be The Guy.

And the WW triforce hunt goes without saying, but that's already been brought up.

highfive

Smash Lord
I'd say the levels with the mini boss right before the midway check point. You know, the levels that bring you down to 1 point of health then casually throw another miniboss around.

I keep thinking of Jewel Man's and Concrete Man's level from Mega Man 9.

REL38

Smash Lord
@Meta-Kirby

The only annoying part of the jungle for me was getting poisoned.
But you can block those attacks so w/e

Volcano was the highlight of the jungle.

TTYD had plenty text :/
It was also a cake walk with how much they spoiled you.
I couldn't finish my 2nd playthrough cuz of that :/

day-day

Smash Ace
I hate how long it takes to find a decent match with a decent connection on Tekken 6.
The long intermission periods on MW2 and how it takes 5 minutes to play a crew pickup game on 2k10 even though you won't get far without network errors :ohwell:
Longest stretch is def. in KHII, the whole Roxas beginning was soooo boring to me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I hate how long it takes to find a decent match with a decent connection on Tekken 6.
The long intermission periods on MW2 and how it takes 5 minutes to play a crew pickup game on 2k10 even though you won't get far without network errors :ohwell:
Longest stretch is def. in KHII, the whole Roxas beginning was soooo boring to me.
Know how you feel. I went to the mall with my grandparents and left me at gamestop for about 3 hours. I was there playing KHII to my hearts content, and I never got started when you become sora. I swear I was like "Dammit when is the good part going to happen?". My grandparents picked me up and I did not get to sora dammit

Chill

Red
BRoomer
That. At least its become easier with every game. I'm awaiting the day when they just let us select EVS. :p

I'm sure its been mentioned but the triforce quest in wind waker is painful.

M.K

Level 55

OMG.

You don't realize how CONFUSED I was! I had played through a little bit of Kingdom Hearts 1. I knew the characters, I knew what was happening....I swear.

Basically through that entire thing I was like "Who the hell is Roxas? WHERE IS SORA?? I don't like popsicles....O_O They gonna fall off that clock."

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Having to load your pokemon game a million times because you just killed (insert legendary name here)

again because he is too weak and even when on a tiny amount of health and frozen insists on breaking out of your ball.

I hate you Rayquaza.......before you become mine.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Definitely the beginning of Tales of Phantasia, all you do is watch cut scenes and run away from ridiculous fights.

Cyaneon

Smash Rookie
For me, the beginning of all of the Tales games are ridiculously boring... yet I love the series so much.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Beginning cutscene, Eden Prime and going to the Citadel before you get to command the ship in Mass effect

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I agree that the Water Temple is boring...too blue, too monotonous, and it just feels like you're moving so slow with the iron boots.

And I also disliked the part in Metroid Prime where you have to search for all the artifacts before you reach the final boss.

And Banjo-Kazooie was a buzzkill after you beat the final quiz to recue Tooty. Getting all those notes was a pain in itself and just when you thought it was over...you had this one huge-*** picture to complete before you finally fought Gruntilda. Ugh. >.>

IV training is such a pain too. >.> But it's rewarding once you start EV training the right Pokemon.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Dude. If you melt KZ as an adult, then he'll give you a blue tunic and your gonna need to collect 30 or more gold skulltulla to get a bigger rupee bag

Top Bottom