• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most boring/hated stretches of generally good games

pikapi02

Smash Rookie
Paper Mario:TTYD-After awhile the glitz pit got repetitive. Eventually I completed it.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Metal Gear Solid PS1- Having to go all the way back to the Hangar to get the sniper riffle. A hate going back through all that (The cave, Physco Mantis building whatever it's called, snow field with Vulcan Raven tank, Hangar). I hate backtracking more than anything else in a video game. Then you have to do it all over again with the PAL card to heat it and freeze it. The elevators move soo slow when working your way up and down the main floor to the basement.

Pokemon- The Caves are so boring! Every step feels like your fighting a random pokemon. It gets so old using strength, rock smash, surf and flash in numerous spots. Then you fall through a hole in the cave and must start the process all over again.

There's more that I've encountered in my life but I've got too much of a mental block to think of them right now.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Any dungeon/cave in the Pokemon games.

I don't mind the big buildings or gyms you have to navigate through, but pushing around boulders and surfing through caves is NOT my idea of a fun time.

Jonbebe

Smash Cadet
There's this cool sequence in Metal Gear Solid 3 where you wade through a river of everyone you've ever killed. Unfortunately for me, despite the game's emphasis on stealth, I killed EVERYBODY and it took me like, 20 minutes to get to the end, since there were 100x as many dead guys for me as the average not-******. For those of you who haven't played MGS3, at the end of this river of spooky dead guys you die. it's part of the encounter; you're supposed to notice that your inventory is still onscreen along with "retry" or whatever, and you can revive yourself with a pill. I'm ****ing ******** and selected retry, thinking I had done something wrong to cause my death, and I did it maybe three times over the course of a week and almost quit the game in frustration before finally consulting the internet

:'(

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
For me, the beginning of all of the Tales games are ridiculously boring... yet I love the series so much.
Yes. This.

Going through hours of "Tah! Tah! Tah! Demon Fang! Tah! Tah! Tah! Demon Fang!" or "Hah! Tah! Hah! Fang Blade! Hah! Tah! Hah! Fang Blade!" sometimes just kills the replayability. What also kills replayability is the inability to skip cutscenes... which are generally long and mandatory.

-

In Chrono Trigger, going through the labs in 2300AD is just super annoying. Racing Johnny has got to be the stupidest thing in the game. Somehow traveling 9000< miles across a long straightaway lands you right back in the beginning if you lose the race. Repairing the Masamune was frustrating too.

In Zelda Master Quest, Spirit Temple was just plain stupid.
Countless trips of turning into a child to do 1 simple task... then going back as an adult to do another simple task which let's you do another simple task as a child... Oh and bottomless pits aren't actually bottomless... since supposedly if you drop a bombchu down a bottomless pit... it'll somehow reach the other side to blow up a bridge. The developers assume you know Zelda physics and that the Spirit Temple's bottomless holes actually have a bottom. And there's more! To get through a door you must play Song of Time THREE times in order to get some wooden box onto some button. And you have to do this in a specific order or you'll have to exit/reenter to try again! Once you finish this task you get to advance and realize you need a key from another puzzle in the previous room. Exit out and BAM the exit seals shut and you'll have to play Song of Time THREE times again to go back in! You'll also revisit this same room when you manage to obtain the Mirror Shield... which means you'll have to play it another 3 times!
TL;DR - Master Quest's Spirit Temple is complete bull ****, Farore's Wind is your best friend, and switching between child and adult is very frustrating and inconvenient.

Water Temple in OoT took quite a long time. Relying on your hookshot to kill clams point blank made the temple boring. Iron boots should've been a C-Equip... who likes pressing Start in order to take off boots they know they will have to put back on in a few seconds?

In Paper Mario TTYD, the chapter involving the train was pretty long and uninteresting... I dunno... having the majority of the chapter in a setting where you feel confined kinda makes it boring.

In Mario RPG Lo7S, getting to Nimbus Land was frustrating... really the depth perception for the beanstalks could've been better...

Lixivium

Smash Champion
God of War - Hell, especially walking on those logs and climbing those stupid pillars with the spinning blades

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Not an amazing game by any means, but the trek to the Great Palace in Zelda II (and then finishing the palace) is unbelievably frustrating.

In Earthbound I honestly find the game up until Threed pretty boring, but mainly because the rest of it is just that much better.

Mother 3 - the part where you have to recover the broken down Claymen is really boring after you get the first one.

Metroid Prime 3 - I really don't like the energy cell hunt. The collect-a-thon quest at the end of the other Primes is way better because I personally find those games' worlds to be so much more inspired and full of content. Actually MP3 as a whole just bores me compared to the other two.

Goldeneye - Protecting Natalya in the control room is always a pain, especially because it is towards the end of a long level.

Majora's Mask - going back and forth with the Zora eggs because you don't have enough bottles to carry them all in 1 (or even 2) trips.

Fire Emblem 9 - the desert level takes forever to thoroughly complete because it takes your units too long to move in the sand.

Brawl - the entire SSE >_>

Zelda Oracle of Ages - there's some parts where you have to excessively go back and forth in time to navigate, and it gets pretty tedious.

Unlike most people, I actually like the Water Temple...

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
SSBB: Last level of Sub Space Emmersary it took me around the hour just to figure out i didn't go to an undiscovered place....i basically went around the level again and again...and again...

Earthbound: Im sorry but the game was a streach in itself every battle was boring and repetive dont get me wrong it had its charm and humor but i couldn't stand it.

Fallout 3 Broken Steel DLC: The mission kind of dragged itself out longer than it had to there was this zombie part where they were all pretty tough i had to go back to my save 5 times so they wouldn't kill my compaions

Portal: There is this one puzzle i never managed to get past it takes to much timing so i gave up completely

Castle Crashers: The credits is about 5 minutes long nuff said

And i agree with Geno on the TYD train mission just plain bordeom

KirbyMan3000

Smash Lord
That stretch in any RPG, but especially in the Tales games, when you lose your healer. Somehow a heroine will get captured, and it SUCKS if she also happens to be the only one with good healing abilities. >_>

Jakomayne

Smash Rookie
- The Ladder in MGS3

- The month of October in Persona 4

Edit: Rofl I didn't notice it said "generally good games", removed that game quick. >_>

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I played ALOT of N64 so bear with me

Starfox64
Needing to go through the whole game for that one last medal....?
annoying as hell....

Mario 64
I hate playing the same **** level 6 times......

Pokemon
EV training and leveling....

Sonic 1
The 2nd to last area....i think it's brain-something zone.....has water....haha

Any card based game like Lost Kingdoms or Yugioh
Starting with a bunch of crap....only to be forced to use it for a long time....

liljp112

Smash Cadet
final fantasy IX when garnet lose her voice and wouldn't cast spells sometimes i think. my memory is not perfect but if thats what i remember that was really annoying.

mother 3 would be when you played as flint i did not find that entertaining game

Suspect

Smash Hero
Digital Devil Saga 1- After going through the maribel base you go to the next one and have to make your way around there while solving/not landing in front of the red eyed statues. Not to add on that you get into random battle like every 3 seconds in this game, i literally just rage quitted from it just now.

Ill pick it up back later.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I loooove the ladder section. So completely out of nowhere and cinematic. It helps that I think the MGS3 theme is one of the greatest video game songs of all time.
YES! After all the tense sneaking it's so peaceful as you're listening to the music.

One time I got to top, I jumped down just to see how long it'd take for Snake to hit the bottom

Very disappointed that it just cuts off with Time Paradox.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Metroid Prime 3 - I really don't like the energy cell hunt. The collect-a-thon quest at the end of the other Primes is way better because I personally find those games' worlds to be so much more inspired and full of content. Actually MP3 as a whole just bores me compared to the other two.

Majora's Mask - going back and forth with the Zora eggs because you don't have enough bottles to carry them all in 1 (or even 2) trips.

Fire Emblem 9 - the desert level takes forever to thoroughly complete because it takes your units too long to move in the sand.

Brawl - the entire SSE >_>

Zelda Oracle of Ages - there's some parts where you have to excessively go back and forth in time to navigate, and it gets pretty tedious.

Unlike most people, I actually like the Water Temple...
For the Prime Series, doing those collecting things were only annoying the first time around for me.

I totally agree with you for Majora's Mask Zora egg thing. I would still get lost every now and then in the fortress.

As for most desert levels in the FE series, I make sure I have enough magic users because they get no movement penalty, same with flying units.

The Subspace Emissary was decent. And you really didn't have to play it.

I really don't remember much of Oracle of Ages' time traveling puzzles. But I do remember getting annoyed at going back and forth if I'm doing the noble sword quest or something like that and I forget which time period I needed to go to.

I only like the Water Temple from OoT because I get to fight Dark Link.

Jakomayne

Smash Rookie
I loooove the ladder section. So completely out of nowhere and cinematic. It helps that I think the MGS3 theme is one of the greatest video game songs of all time.

Yeah Snake Eater is a **** good song, it was definitely pretty awesome the first time. But my next playthroughs I dreaded it everytime. >_<

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Digital Devil Saga 1- After going through the maribel base you go to the next one and have to make your way around there while solving/not landing in front of the red eyed statues. Not to add on that you get into random battle like every 3 seconds in this game, i literally just rage quitted from it just now.

Ill pick it up back later.
That one is pretty terrible. I hated the tunnels more, I think. Cielo is weak to status effects, and everything in the tunnels has some sort of status effect attack. :urg:

Suspect

Smash Hero
That one is pretty terrible. I hated the tunnels more, I think. Cielo is weak to status effects, and everything in the tunnels has some sort of status effect attack. :urg:
Who is Cielo? I still only have Serph, Heat, and Argilla >_> we must be talking about different parts of the game, im talking about the beginning after you make an alliance with maribel.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I hate the Mountains in AC2. Ugh. It takes like 10 minutes to get through there on horseback, and there's nothing but grass and **** around you. Fortunately, it isn't exactly necessary. Finding all the Codex pages was kind of boring, but just because it was so repetitive. You would just go find a door, kill guards (or hire people to do it for you), grab the Codex page, and leave. 16 times. Yeah.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm surprised the Ocean Temple in Phantom Hourglass didn't get more mentions.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Except for the first water stage in Super Mario 64. The stage wasn't too annoying and the music is so nice.

Top Bottom