• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most boring/hated stretches of generally good games

Suspect

Smash Hero
i just ran into another one in DDS, in the beginning where you go to rescue Sera and you walk into that place and the house starts talking to you about the princess and the princes. Then tells you to find the right prince...I already know its going to bore the hell outta me so i rage quitted again.

I like this game tho >_>

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
i just ran into another one in DDS, in the beginning where you go to rescue Sera and you walk into that place and the house starts talking to you about the princess and the princes. Then tells you to find the right prince...I already know its going to bore the hell outta me so i rage quitted again.

I like this game tho >_>
One thing you have to learn is that every dungeon in DDS is worse than the last, but it's still so enjoyable that you can't help but continue.

And yes, I was talking about a different part of the game when I mentioned the tunnels. I'm pretty sure you're not there yet.

Have fun!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The whole boat section in Half-Life 2 annoyed and bored the hell out of me. It was, like, 2 hours of game play with no interaction or story.

The Wrecked Ship in Super Metroid.

The **** Dwarf section of Dragon Age. Couldn't stand it.

Act 2 of Diablo 2. No way to get through it fast enough.

Dwarf village of Secret of Mana.

The ****ing pizza stage in Zoombinis. That stage was unreasonable! "There's something about this pizza I just don't like!" MEH!

Suspect

Smash Hero
One thing you have to learn is that every dungeon in DDS is worse than the last, but it's still so enjoyable that you can't help but continue.

And yes, I was talking about a different part of the game when I mentioned the tunnels. I'm pretty sure you're not there yet.

Have fun!
I hate using strategy guides but this game is pushin it! lol plus i want to beat it soon so i can abuse gamestops used game policy :p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Majora's Mask: The "Hide And Seek" Portion on the Moon. Goes something like this: Human, win fights, 3 minutes max. Deku Scrub: Fly a bit, 2 minutes max. Zora: Eh, just sort of let things go, more often than not you'll hit find what you need after a while, 5 minutes max. Goron: ALKGJOIWHALK;EJWAOIJR;AJGL JOIJGFOIA JG;JOIAJO SJAO;FWIJFOI;AJFLI;WEJFOIHDSOI JL;WHAGOIL;AIO;N;EANN;EEW;IONI;FOEW;IO;NIOFN;OI;O :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kantō

Smash Champion
ya ruck tunnel def.

also, talking to princess zelda for the first time in the garden in 64.

hmmm lemmee think.......

any part in resident evil 4 when you have ashly with you.
the solo in through the fire and the flames in GH3

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
ya ruck tunnel def.

also, talking to princess zelda for the first time in the garden in 64.

hmmm lemmee think.......

any part in resident evil 4 when you have ashly with you.
the solo in through the fire and the flames in GH3
I'd say the solo in Jordan...
If we're counting Guitar Hero...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
- any part of any rpg that "requires" leveling up before continuing. (required in quotes because maybe I just dont have the equipment, skills, etc. to get pass in the first place)

- the parts of Sonic Adventure 2 between Sonic/Shadow's stages, especially with the Dark side, because Shadow only has four stages. lol

- oh, the Werehog, duh.

- the last world of DKC1, the one with like, 6 levels of caves, as though Rare got lazy and said, "f**k it, we're tired of making pretty backgrounds" or something.

- Gran Turismo 4, that Nuriemburg course (aka the one where a single lap takes 8 - 12 minutes)

- i hear that MGS4 has 90 minute cutscenes. that has to qualify.

- Burnout 3 has 100 Crash events and 73 races. Finish the 73 races too quickly, and you're left with an a**load of crash events that gets waaay too repetitive too quickly.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Majora's Mask: The "Hide And Seek" Portion on the Moon. Goes something like this: Human, win fights, 3 minutes max. Deku Scrub: Fly a bit, 2 minutes max. Zora: Eh, just sort of let things go, more often than not you'll hit find what you need after a while, 5 minutes max. Goron: ALKGJOIWHALK;EJWAOIJR;AJGL JOIJGFOIA JG;JOIAJO SJAO;FWIJFOI;AJFLI;WEJFOIHDSOI JL;WHAGOIL;AIO;N;EANN;EEW;IONI;FOEW;IO;NIOFN;OI;O :mad: :mad: :mad:
You explained this horribly, but yeah, the Goron section of the Moon is definitely the worst part of the game. You have to roll top speed along this series of paths, jumping ramps and stuff. It isn't so bad, except there are a ton of 90 degree turns that are impossible to make while going full speed. So what you have to do is bounce into these empty treasure chests from the exact correct angle so it bounces you around the corners without losing any speed. It is SO annoying.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
To whoever said the Ladder scene in MGS3, I thought that scene was amazing. Made me love the main theme song even more.

Twilight Princess - Any scene where you are Wolf Link, and have to get the light shards or whatever they were.
FFVI - The part in Narshe where you split into 3 groups, and have to fight all of Kefka's soldiers, his bodyguard(?), and then Kefka. Just seemed tedious.
Pokemon - The caves. ALL of them.
Silent Hill - The piano puzzle. It was the only thing I had to use the internet to figure out in this game.

edit - I guess Silent Hill doesn't really qualify...since it wasn't a 'stretch' it was just a puzzle

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
Pokemon-I can't remember which game or which cave, but there was this one that involved dropping stones through holes and falling through holes and climbing stairs. Ugh, it was a mess of a 6? floor puzzle cave.

Modern Warfare 1(Veteran)- On one of the final missions, there's this long center hallway that's intersected by two other hallways. There's one or two enemies on both sides and you can't get cover from either when you go in to shoot them. I had an especially hard and frustrating time with this final part. Took me many deaths to beat it, but I guess it is veteran... :(

Any RPG- Leveling up has always been a long bittersweet experience

Windwaker- Sailing got old fast. Thank god there was the warp song to spare the tediousness of it.

Suspect

Smash Hero
leveling up is fun, and rewarding in the end when you end up sweeping every enemy that you normally shouldn't be able to.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Pokemon-I can't remember which game or which cave, but there was this one that involved dropping stones through holes and falling through holes and climbing stairs. Ugh, it was a mess of a 6? floor puzzle cave.

Modern Warfare 1(Veteran)- On one of the final missions, there's this long center hallway that's intersected by two other hallways. There's one or two enemies on both sides and you can't get cover from either when you go in to shoot them. I had an especially hard and frustrating time with this final part. Took me many deaths to beat it, but I guess it is veteran... :(

Any RPG- Leveling up has always been a long bittersweet experience

Windwaker- Sailing got old fast. Thank god there was the warp song to spare the tediousness of it.
That would be Victory Road Wildc4rd

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Temple of Time (Twilight Princess)
Solving the puzzle to get to the Temple of Time
Gathering those ancient writings with the dominion rod and moving the statues
Retrieving Ilia's memories (i didn't give 2 $hits about that)
The City in the Sky

Although I enjoyed the boss battle in the Sky Temple.
and the Temple of Time level was very creative.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
The Temple of Time wasn't that difficult for me, but that puzzle to get inside just gets to me. At least the theme of the Temple of Time actually fit, sounded like you had to think around the puzzles. the City in the Sky was a bit confusing for me though. I also found myself lost. =/

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Yeah the Temple of Time made you think. I was stuck on that puzzle for a good while that I had to search up how to solve it and wrote it down in the back of the instruction booklet XD (not great with puzzles)
The City in the Sky was very tedious and frustrating at times.
I was wondering why the Water Temple was so easy xP

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Baldurs Gate 2 - The beginning Irenicus Dungeon. Ever since I learned about the dungeon begone mod I haven't gone through that in almost 3 years

Wrex

Smash Cadet
i posted about one of them, but might as well mention more

1. mass effect 2- mining. wouldn't be so bad if there was any way to tell what minerals were on a planet. but you cant, and the most popular minerals arent used as much as the others, and it could take multiple planets before you find any with a significant amount of what you need, with no way to tell that until youve mined the entire thing.

2. wind waker - sailing before you can warp. while sailing was fun to explore, it wasn't fun when you had to travel to continue the plot and then spent six minutes doing nothing

3. world of warcraft - flight paths. this isn't nearly as bad as it was, back before burning crusade. in vanilla wow the two raids everyone did, and which most guilds never got out of/stopped doing except for the very top, where located in black rock mountain. for the horde, the only way to get there was kargath, a town that was way far away from anywhere else. to get there from undercity was about nine minutes for a flight path, where you did nothing. from grom'gol to kargath was about four minutes. but to get to grom'gol you had to take a zeppelin from orgrimar/under city, and if its not waiting for you then you had to sit and wait for minutes before it came up. a lot of people set their hearths to kargath, but then you had the same trouble distance to get to any important city to trade/do battlegrounds.

4. dead rising - saves. oh god the saves. it was a fun game, but nothing stopped replaying it as much as the save system. you can only save in the few bathrooms, and when you die you start over from that save. which isnt that bad, except that theres a time limit for most things, so you dont have time to just go to every close bathroom and save before you do stuff, plus zombies are literally everywhere which makes it harder to save. also, the end game if you get an A rating- no zombies, just guys with better guns then you, so you have to shoot them. except you cant move and shoot and the aiming thing is slow.

5. gta: san andreas- the driving. it takes soo god**** long to drive from one city to the next, which isnt that bad since generally you only do missions in one city at a time, but then there are missions where you have to drive to the country side. thankfully a lot of them have it where if you die you start up at a certain point, not at the hospital/safehouse like normal, but thats still a lot. also, the plot sort of breaks down once you leave your homecity. its not that bad, but its harder to believe/care about the story when your character goes from being a ghetto talking gangster to being a ghetto talking guy who helps out the elegant chinese triads and some silly nerd guy who has you fly model airplanes for him.

6. gta iv: swimming. generally not bad unless you fall into the water at some point, or accidentally crash into it, but ladders to cut up aren't as common as they should be, and boats are incredibly rare. not nearly as bad as any other thing on this list, as its generally at most a one minute thing, but it gets annoying. honestly boats dont really serve a purpose in the game except for a handful of missions where you drive one, as you never have any reason to get on a boat outside of that, and even if you wanted to drive away in a boat from the cops you probably cant because there are so few boats. more of a nit pick, though.

7. any game where you have no idea what to do next - this is probably the worst thing in any video game. i don't mind hard puzzles, or having to search for stuff, but when you have literally zero idea on what to do its not fun. first game that comes to mind for me is jedi outcast. so many of the missions require you to do some sort of puzzle at random points to advance, generally a sort of platforming thing, but you never have any idea about it until you realize you cant go forward. plus a lot of missions have you reach a dead end, then just go back and go a different way, and the puzzles are almost never obvious. its even worst in missions where you drop down into an area, then after clearing out several rooms in a general area have no idea which room would possibly be the one where you have to do something to advance, and you wouldn't know if it was until you actually do it.

8. red alert 2- commando missions. for those who dont know its where, in an rts game, you have a mission where you're just given a single infrantry man, a commando, and have to infiltrate a base/blow something up. these are actually generally fun at times, but are also incredibly frustrating. for one thing, a lot of the commando missions have you start out with a commando, then have you find a "base" where you then go to normal rts stuff. but if your commando dies at any point in the mission you lose, even if you're crushing the enemy base, so after you don't need your commanod you generally just leave it in your base. the main thing, though, is dogs. dogs kill any infantry, even commandos, in one hit, and move incredibly fast. your commando might be able to kill ten units at a time, but a pack of three dogs will murder you in a second.

9. games where they take away abilities for a mission - the only good example of this i can think of is half life 2, where at the end you lose all your firearms, but your gravity gun is instead capable of killing people. in general, though, the more abilities you have the more fun the game is. taking away abilities for a mission is generally just a cheap way to increase difficulty without them actually designing a hard level thats fun. missions where you jail break and have no items on you (a lot of games) can be fun, but only if the part where you don't have your items is short, like escaping, then going through a hallway or two to get weapons. for example, max payne 1. you got captured, and then escape with nothing but a baseball bat. but in the next room is a hallway where you have to sneak around until you find a group of enemies that are small enough that you can murder with your bat before taking their guns to actually fight, and within about ten minutes of breaking out you're already back to how you were before.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Would being a Spy in Team Fortress 2 count?

It can be really hard to be sneaky and avoid the enemy team if their smart. Plus, having the smallest healthpool does not help when you get shot at, or if you get hit by stray bullets.

And W+M1 Pyros...

Wrex

Smash Cadet
Would being a Spy in Team Fortress 2 count?

It can be really hard to be sneaky and avoid the enemy team if their smart. Plus, having the smallest healthpool does not help when you get shot at, or if you get hit by stray bullets.

And W+M1 Pyros...
might as well add in being a heavy with a bad medic. nothing like getting ubered, starting to fight, then realize that your medic isn't behind you and is instead to your left in open view and gets slaughtered, shortly before you do.

abort

Smash Rookie
I hated in FF when you lose a boss fight and have to re-watch the cut scene before it.
Sooo lame.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I hated in FF when you lose a boss fight and have to re-watch the cut scene before it.
Sooo lame.
Especially in FFX when you rush through the game and lose to Seymore on Mount Gagazet thousands of times....

Rikku is sooooooooo annoying....

Top Bottom