• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG - Smashboards purchase discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwan

Smash Ace
lol nice edit. yea, we'll see how it plays out. hopefully, MLG acknowledges that brawl and melee are different enough in gameplay and fanbase to warrant running both
Being a player who's followed MLG for at least 6 years, I've been through a lot of "why isn't this game in the circuit this year. Why didn't this get put in. Why was this game taken out."...etc.

it's always financial or because of a lack of players willing to Travel, or sometimes because the community left isn't big enough. So basically, would MLG profit off of running melee tournaments?

one thing about MLG events is that it's not just the people nearby who showup; some people travel far distances to go to these things. Not sure if people would be willing to do that for brawl...do you?

I'll disagree with you...but.....hope you and the others wanting both in the circuit turn out right. That'd be awesome. I just don't see it happening based off of the past of MLG and other franchises.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
lol nice edit. yea, we'll see how it plays out. hopefully, MLG acknowledges that Halo2 and Halo3, as well as Rainbow 6 Vegas, and Rainbow six Vegas 2: a terrible game set in the same scheme as it's predecessor are different enough in gameplay and fanbase to warrant running both
oh ho ho! all day!

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
I wonder why we smash players feel the nessecity to have to insult eachother and talk bad about other game.It doesn't make melee or brawl any better than they already are.

Just accept that both of these game are fine, great or shut up.

I personally play melee alot more than I do brawl but, thats because I feel that the faster pace is funner but that doesn't mean when I play brawl I automatically hate it, I just don't think I want to try to play it competively but I still have fun.We need to start helping eachother as a community to have both games survive and have a bigger "all around" (meaning smashers that play both games) competitive scene.

I'm glad Brawl is about to begin it's journey into MLG just like melee did and I hope it has a long run but I also hope MLG trys to run melee atleast a couple more times and I hope by doing so they make more money then they would running one and continue holding more tournaments.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
it's always financial or because of a lack of players willing to Travel, or sometimes because the community left isn't big enough. So basically, would MLG profit off of running melee tournaments?
Maybe you don't realize this, but the reason that Melee survived 7 years and is set to continue surviving, with or without MLG is because Melee players are willing to travel. Halo CE may in fact be the best of the three halo games but it doesn't change the fact that no one is really willing to go anywhere to play. Even if MLG included Halo CE most players wouldn't actually go. Melee, or Smash in general is a game built on community, a community that is willing to go to major lengths to play.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You guys honestly think they would concurrently run Brawl/Melee when everyone that works for MLG pretty much likes H1 over H2/3, yet H3 is the only game being run?

Think things through. MLG is not just going to throw money at Smash. Melee had its day, and MLG would not put a game 8 years old on its live broadcast/circuit for sponsors to see, it is THAT simple. If Smash is added to the professional circuit, it will be Brawl.

This is literally like saying: why doesn't MLG run Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3? They pick the newest one. We are not playing a sport like soccer, we are playing video games, video games get dated, Melee is dated, Brawl is new. I love both games, I probably love Melee more than 95% of the people in this thread, but I also understand the reality of the situation. The futility of arguing for Melee and division caused by Melee die hards who can't learn to move on is a serious problem. This has nothing to do with which game is better or if there are tournaments for each game, it is simply that the reality is: Brawl is new, Melee is dated, MLG will pick up the new iteration of whatever franchise it is running.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
the dream will become a reality. i can see it. more people gotta step up tho. it cant happen unless people are willing to argue for it.
This is why noobs shouldn't be allowed to post. If you show mlg you're god****ed resolve, then they see the community is split. When the community splits, it cause sponsors to be wary of spending money, since only half the people involved are interested. Where is Soul Calibur? huh? MLG? Evo?

****, the only reason SF has a circuit is because it's the godfather of fighting games. Melee is a ****ing cartoon, son. Be happy with what we're getting.

MELEE IS 8 YEARS OLD!

Would you date some chick if she was 8 years younger? **** yeah. But then you'd make her parents buy you ****, then you kick her to the curb. Why? Cause little girls are lame, and they need their allowances to be spent in frivolous ways to fully understand the world. Like on that episode of Friends.

Seriously, you're all a bunch of cry babies. WAHHHH, MOM, JEFF WON'T LEMME PLAY MELEE AT MLG. ONLY BRAWL AND BRAWL IS STUPID. I WANT AN ICE **** CREAM SANDWICH.

stfu.

Edit: The person I am quoting has a Brawl sig. Some resolve.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i'd argue for it all day if that would actually make them add melee to the list

if they did, i'd do everything in my power to go (and bring like 5-8 ppl with me)........but reality is they most likely won't

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im so excited for this. i wasnt around for the mlg days of melee, and now i can finally experience the big hype of a real circuit with amazing events and coverage.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
This is why noobs shouldn't be allowed to post. If you show mlg you're god****ed resolve, then they see the community is split. When the community splits, it cause sponsors to be wary of spending money, since only half the people involved are interested. Where is Soul Calibur? huh? MLG? Evo?

****, the only reason SF has a circuit is because it's the godfather of fighting games. Melee is a ****ing cartoon, son. Be happy with what we're getting.

MELEE IS 8 YEARS OLD!

Would you date some chick if she was 8 years younger? **** yeah. But then you'd make her parents buy you ****, then you kick her to the curb. Why? Cause little girls are lame, and they need their allowances to be spent in frivolous ways to fully understand the world. Like on that episode of Friends.

Seriously, you're all a bunch of cry babies. WAHHHH, MOM, JEFF WON'T LEMME PLAY MELEE AT MLG. ONLY BRAWL AND BRAWL IS STUPID. I WANT AN ICE **** CREAM SANDWICH.

stfu.

ok so if your girlfriend was locked up for 8 years and you wanted her out, wouldnt you say LET MY GIRL GO, I NEED HER IN LIFE, I LOVE HER. if you did, would you let the people who say STOP TRYING ITS POINTLESS, GIVE UP. YOUR NOT GETTING ANYWHERE, stop you from doin what your doing? if you would let someone discourage you like that then you have no self pride. you gotta do what you gotta do.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move

MELEE IS 8 YEARS OLD!

stfu.

You're high right now aren't you.

Edit: See what Im doing here? Its called an edit. I do it so I don't have to double post.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
ok so if your girlfriend was locked up for 8 years and you wanted her out, wouldnt you say LET MY GIRL GO, I NEED HER IN LIFE, I LOVE HER. if you did, would you let the people who say STOP TRYING ITS POINTLESS, GIVE UP. YOUR NOT GETTING ANYWHERE, stop you from doin what your doing? if you would let someone discourage you like that then you have no self pride. you gotta do what you gotta do.
Conjugal visits. Go play at your friend's house.

Also, you're. YOU'RE = YOU ****ING ARE.

Y-O-U-R IS YOUR.

King~

Smash Champion
This has me really excited for whatever reason, i just hope the annoucement is a pro circuit or atleast a grassroots one.

or maybe something small like sponsorship from some of the tourneys TO's here hold that would be a twist.

also lol melee

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It is a good business move for MLG to keep just Brawl on the card. New, fresh faces within the Smash Community and beleaguered Melee players=More money for them. Can't really argue with that. If you don't like it, then oh well. That's just the way the ball bounces.

Brandon is at least right about that much.

Smooth Criminal

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
Conjugal visits. Go play at your friend's house.

Also, you're. YOU'RE = YOU ****ING ARE.

Y-O-U-R IS YOUR.
who gives a crap man for real. were not in an english class. if you feel you need to say those kind of things then you realllllyyy need to grow up. i can get on your level too buddy. i do it all the time. but this isnt the time.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You guys honestly think they would concurrently run Brawl/Melee when everyone that works for MLG pretty much likes H1 over H2/3, yet H3 is the only game being run?

Think things through. MLG is not just going to throw money at Smash. Melee had its day, and MLG would not put a game 8 years old on its live broadcast/circuit for sponsors to see, it is THAT simple. If Smash is added to the professional circuit, it will be Brawl.

This is literally like saying: why doesn't MLG run Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3? They pick the newest one. We are not playing a sport like soccer, we are playing video games, video games get dated, Melee is dated, Brawl is new. I love both games, I probably love Melee more than 95% of the people in this thread, but I also understand the reality of the situation. The futility of arguing for Melee and division caused by Melee die hards who can't learn to move on is a serious problem. This has nothing to do with which game is better or if there are tournaments for each game, it is simply that the reality is: Brawl is new, Melee is dated, MLG will pick up the new iteration of whatever franchise it is running.
if this wasnt an official mod created thread, i would ask you to close it after a post like that

dmbrandon

Smash Master
who gives a crap man for real. were not in an english class. if you feel you need to say those kind of things then you realllllyyy need to grow up. i can get on your level too buddy. i do it all the time. but this isnt the time.
You can get on this level, nyucka, but you ain't got this gear. s4 son.

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
WHAT IS THIS?! srsly
What you don't have a more ******** reply than that.

You say that sponsors become discouraged when they see a community is split but you don't realize that it's people like you that split the community.

Also I've noticed that 11 year olds (or a person with equivalent intelligence) seem to use the word " noob" more than others.Peaced. :laugh:

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
the dream will become a reality. i can see it. more people gotta step up tho. it cant happen unless people are willing to argue for it.
This is a good post...and it is 100% true. Melee will NEVER EVER be what it once was, but it can and WILL make a comeback. On the East Coast here in Boston, Maine, and CT Melee is already pretty much back. The last 6 Brawl tourneys here had an attendance of 211 while the first five had an attendance of 218....Brawl is dying and now in the next upcomming three months there will be probably maybe 3 brawl tournaments. I am hosting a Melee tourney in about two weeks and plan to host one in December as well.

The police is profit idiot. I'm talking about community.

You really are a stupid *****.
WHAT IS THIS?! srsly
I agree with what he said was really dumb and made no sense but the second part of his post was true to the T. You Dmbrandon are just as ignorant and stupid as half of the people posting on this thread that you are trying to argue/debate with. What the heck was with your analogy about an 8 year old girl? That had to be the dumbest thing I've ever read by a debater. A good analogy would be comparing items, hobbies, other video games, etc. That analogy right there just shows your immaturity due to the fact that you obviously see women as objects and not as people. You are obviously PRO Brawl and therefore have no idea what a competitive video game should have in terms of game play and characteristics. Really; do us all a favor, stop talking.

Bottom line-Brawl is the dominant game unfortunatly at this point. I personally think that Melee is on its way back as the competitive game world wide....it will just take time. The Northeast have already begun to make the transition back...and so will the rest of you.

Regardless of if that tournament had 302 or 303 particapants....they were all pretty much scrubs im sure and in time Brawl will fade due to its lack of depth. Even some of the best players around believe that Brawl will fade. (I will not say who...but i've personally spoken to a few top smashers)

Think of it this way---

People always have this impression that if they move away from their hometown life will be "better" or "different" some place else. It's all relative and it relates to the peoples desire to play Melee once again...wherever you go....whatever you do people will generally be doing the same things.

In California, Georgia, Connecticut, and Hawaii I am sure people all like Basketball, The Beatles, Apples, HP computers, video games, and carnivals. Get the idea?

-POF

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
In short don't john because you suck at the other game.(btw sorry about all the buts I wasn't thinking cus I'm finally getting to watch iron man)
What are you talking about?

Do you have ANY idea what you're saying? You do realize that I just STOOD UP for you....right?

Also, I went to over 10 Brawl tournaments and NEVER placed higher than 13th place.

out of 87 particapants at Esticle in CT-13th
First Brawl tourney-4th
out of 79 particapants at next esticle in CT-13th
fifth brawl tourney out of 21 people-2nd place (New Haven, CT)
Bloomfield CT-7th

Once again, I dont suck at Brawl. I just dont care about putting money down for a game that should not be competitive.

If you want, i'll cream you online?

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
i think havok is referrig to dm sucking at melee, which isnt entirly true. I remeber playing him at an MLG like 5 years ago lol(maybe not 5 but it was a while ago). iirc and its the same person he had a solid ice climbers back then. I just dont remember him traveling that much for melee.

And yea I got like 7th at the first brawl esticle cuz im the ****ing man. and like 13th at MM or some ****

brawl is ok

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
What are you talking about?

Do you have ANY idea what you're saying? You do realize that I just STOOD UP for you....right?

Also, I went to over 10 Brawl tournaments and NEVER placed higher than 13th place.

out of 87 particapants at Esticle in CT-13th
First Brawl tourney-4th
out of 79 particapants at next esticle in CT-13th
fifth brawl tourney out of 21 people-2nd place (New Haven, CT)
Bloomfield CT-7th

Once again, I dont suck at Brawl. I just dont care about putting money down for a game that should not be competitive.

If you want, i'll cream you online?
Lol cool down man I didn't mean you I meant the community.

Online= Fake smash

dmbrandon

Smash Master
i think havok is referrig to dm sucking at melee, which isnt entirly true. I remeber playing him at an MLG like 5 years ago lol(maybe not 5 but it was a while ago). iirc and its the same person he had a solid ice climbers back then. I just dont remember him traveling that much for melee.

And yea I got like 7th at the first brawl esticle cuz im the ****ing man. and like 13th at MM or some ****

brawl is ok
OMG! I'm so honored you remembered me. I always remembered you, but didn't wanna say anything because if I did, and you didn't I would have been LAMEEEE. Anyway, that **** was nonsense. That kid johned about his controller in pools and completely got the judge to turn the first game from 1-0 to 0-0. I wound up losing cause after I was playing like garbbbb.

Hmmm I wonder if MLG would be interested in having a Trip-less Brawl tournament. I highly doubt they'd do it but it would be pretty cool.
They did forge a lot for h3. but that's different worlds.

Everyone else: You're all living in a fantasy world. I'm done being awesome tonight, ur all gay.

Miller

Smash Lord
People talking about a possible gay ruleset:

For melee, they hired well known SWFers and pretty much gave them the money to run the tourney. I think its safe to say, no gay ruleset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom