• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG - Smashboards purchase discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I don't see how this could be anything but good. MLG has always been great for the Smash community.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

MicEdit: (Because I can't post a reply)

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how this could be anything but good. MLG has always been great for the Smash community.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Yea...I think this can only lead to good things, not to mention the "hint" that JV gave at the end of his thread is obviously that MLG will pick up brawl for the 2009 pro circuit. Which means I really have to start playing more (than I already do now). And set some money aside for some events.

ROOOAAD TRIIIIP(S)

*hugs MLG*
:)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I actually thought it would take a few years for mlg to pick up brawl but this makes it seem like it might happen a lot sooner.

Glad it is since I missed out on the melee days =\ but the videos from those tournaments where awesome hope to see some of those in person now.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Wow, that was unexpected. Here I am wondering when MLG was going to get involved again.

My hat's off to MLG then.

For the people who don't know, the MLG circuit is where all eyes were directed for a good two years of the competitive Melee scene, and bought us some really memorable times. Does everybody remember when PC beat Ken in their 11 match set? Holy crap.

EDIT:
I'm guessing we have our reason why premium memberships stopped.
I get the feeling that talks of this acquisition began well over a year ago.

Who could ignore the growth of 2007?

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Does this change anything? This is just a forum. Is the SBR now working with MLG more closely on anything Smash related? Are Evo and SWF ties now even looser?

I still see no mention of this on the MLG front page so it looks like they're ignoring it on that end. Will MLG be showing Brawl any support on their Pro Circuit?

I don't see how this is anything other than a load off SWF's back in regards to bills but I'm not seeing any benefit for MLG.

Grunt

Smash Master
Well what more is there to say?

Pretty convenient they left off mentioning that they dropped Melee at the same time Microsoft became a sponsor of MLG.
lolwut?

MicEdit: That's what I was led to believe. Evidently, I was wrong. Heh, I don't think anyone's going to be complaining I was ^^

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I still see no mention of this on the MLG front page so it looks like they're ignoring it on that end. Will MLG be showing Brawl any support on their Pro Circuit?
mlgjversical said:
keep your eyes peeled for a special announcement (I’ll give you a hint: It involves Brawl and some cash)!
I don't see how this is anything other than a load off SWF's back in regards to bills but I'm not seeing any benefit for MLG.
Well I mean, smashboards is the hub of competitive smash worldwide.
It would make sense for MLG to have a handle on ensuring the continued growth of the community.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Ah, I missed that somehow. Although I still find it unsettling that they haven't mentioned this at all on their website. I'm also not sure how a company that was so strapped for cash they dropped Smash is now able to buy SmashBoards.com =P Well, we'll see how things play out.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
well then, **** on my ****, this sounds **** good. I'm interested to see what this money + brawl nonsense is about.

Also LOL @ Mic's edit on the earlier posts. Picture is 2gud.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Hopefully they just stick with what is an incredibly awesome BR rule set.
Dang you BlueBlade, your Ant vs Spider video led me to watch hours of bug fights.

Getting back on topic. I think this is a wonderful thing. Can't wait to see some MLG tournaments. :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is very exciting :). MLG did a lot for Melee back in the day. Even when they dropped melee from there pro circut, they still sponsored grassroot tournaments.

MLG is an example of a company that knows what it's doing. When they picked up melee, they hired people who were involved in the community to help them. Compare that to Mr. Wizard from Evo. MLG caters to the players and is smart enough to know that we know what is good for our game. They listen to the community and that makes them a great company in my eyes :).

Also, got to love new servers :).

Psychoace

Smash Champion
It says "acquired"?
Are we talking sold? Meaning Gideon no longer runs it, and he made a killing of of this website?
It could go either way. He could sell it all and take his leave, or sell it and have them still let him keep his rights as admin. It's mainly about being able to have a bigger server, I would assume he would keep his rights and they would have just more admins.

Peeze

Smash Master
It could go either way. He could sell it all and take his leave, or sell it and have them still let him keep his rights as admin. It's mainly about being able to have a bigger server, I would assume he would keep his rights and they would have just more admins.
Didnt answer the question. Your just speculating.
A definite answer would be appreciated.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
He goes back on vacation.

Kidding, I'm kidding.

Although, it'd be nice to see what he has to say on everything, right from his own mouth (Or text, as it were)

Amide

Smash Lord
I don't like the feel of their forums... I hope it stays exactly like this.

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
I'm rather worried about this, for some reason.

They still haven't said anything about Smashboards on their site, so is this a sort of "hush-up, you interloper" buyout? Or is something good gonna come out of this later?

Still, it is pretty early, so we should just wait and see.

At least I know why I was randomly being redirected to their site for the past 3 days. :laugh:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I hope the forum stays as is.

I was wondering yesterday why whenever I clicked a forum I would go straight to mlgpro.com >_>

-:bowser:Bowser King

Kel

Smash Master
I'm happy about the servers being better. But I'm not going to get my hopes up over smash being on an MLG circuit ever again.

I just want stuff to stay how it currently is. We love this site.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
My only question now is . . . will Melee be sponsored again <_<

If MLG becomes our SRK and helps run major tourneys of both games, or more importantly, promote both then I'm on cloud 9.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
While I'm glad MLG is taking a renewed interest in Smash, I'd like to clarify my earlier statement (in a now locked thread) about how MLG Smash was only great because they basically hired a bunch of knowledgeable SWF:ers to handle it for them:

People are treating MLG like the 2nd coming of chocolate chip cookies. They're all "Oh, this will revolutionize Competitive Brawl!" or "Finally!" or "MLG had some great things like great rules and good commentators!"... only it was all thanks to SWF:ers.

So what I'm trying to say is that MLG is great and all, but give credit where credit is due. MLG isn't a magical organization filled with knowledgeable Smashers who aren't on SWF and who aren't running their own tournaments anyway.

MLG is big and rich and full of money. Yay. MLG itself isn't what makes MLG Smash great, though. It's the SWF:ers MLG hires. Credit to them.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yuna, just to add, MLG also has Sundance DiGiovanni.

I mean, come on. It's Sundance DiGiovanni.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom