• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG - Smashboards purchase discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King~

Smash Champion
Seriously lol melee

just keep holding your tourneys and you will get the people who play it and you will have fun. and introduce some new people to it. dont try and kill everyone else's fun cause you think its not "competiton" worthy.

Thats for those who are saying it should be strictly Melee.

The melee community will keep living as long as people play it, its just old and boring to some so they dont play. you shouldnt be trying to force people to play your game its never that serious.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Melee is dead just because you guys say so? There are less tournaments for it, but it's due to the mentality that it's the past and needs to end that is truly killing it. Sorry that I disagree? Honestly, you guys are just in it for the money. I'm done with this thread.
Stop looking for conflict; this is why the threads you talk about get locked. All me and other people have said is that MLG won't pick up melee and that it isn't a smart decision for them from a business perspective. At all. And that it's not going to happen.

Never once said I didn't think it was a good idea PERSONALLY for THE PLAYER. I never said that....you're saying it's that mentality that's killing it when....we aren't talking about killing melee at all. We love melee.

We're talking about how MLG isn't going to pick up melee, and I gave **** good reasons for it that anyone has yet to dispute.

Stop changing the topic to look for fights. It's the reason the mods lock the other threads.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
So hey, how about some intelligent discussion about thoughts on potential mlg rulesets, whether people think this will be on the pro circuit, or another grassroots circuit, custom stages, yknow

What the thread is for?

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Hmm yeah i was thinking the same, should be fun. Regardless its exciting / it'll be interesting to see what tourneys end up being used for it, if that's what ends up happening

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
This is going to become really interesting.

I kinda wish EVO would pick melee back up and MLG hosts brawl events, but this is really going to split the community a little more.

I'm also going to just express that I wish for the to site stay the same for the most part, and not become all MLGed out. Nothing against MLG at all, but it just wouldn't feel the same. Regardless of my join date, the amount of posts I have, and where I am on the hierarchy of smash players, this is the place that I spent most of my time while on the web.

I can feel like I can say I've seen this place grow for the most part. This, in my opinion, is the biggest change the site has gone through. It most likely be the biggest change the site will ever see either, and with that I felt I should express my opinion on the matter.

From what I understood, this was a non-profit "organization" website. So... is it not now? How much will this affect us as members? It might be too early to ask, but I'm just concerned for the future.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i think that if the community is split then its worth it. melee is easily the most technical game there is. just for that it deserves its place. but since brawl is "new" everyone has to let it go. yea.....how bout no. i say that if MLG doesnt put melee in its circuit then we should try to get EVO to do it. if/when that happens MLG will want to put it in its circuit too.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Cool, nice to hear that some people are making some money. Hopefully this brings some new faces or gets some new endorsements from MLG and the like.

Just don't change the forums too much, I wouldn't like that one bit.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Just don't change the forums too much, I wouldn't like that one bit.
The only real changes that are even almost necessary would be a Melee Back Room, and because it's unlikely that MLG is gonna run Melee, they have to incentive to do that. It'd still be nice.

But yes, keep SWF as it is. Don't kill the tourney section (as somebody said earlier, official MLG forums don't allow non-MLG events to be posted*) Really, if that happened, there'd probably be a boycott/mass migration to AiB (ew) or something.

*citation needed.

replicate

Smash Lord
I would love to see melee accepted on its merit as a competitive game (a la SF2T), but that probably won't happen because MLG likes brawl because it is newer and will attract more people.

replicate

Smash Lord
Red: such a post is alright.
Tee: not alright.

Again: This is not a bring back Melee thread. Posts to that nature will receive warnings. Not every topic in should get sidetracked by the die hard Melee players.
Both games are fine. But saying Melee over Brawl is naive, you don't see MLG running Halo 1 still do you? (don't answer that question, just be happy about MLG and forget the whole Melee Brawl thing basically)
This post made me so angry. AlphaZealot, I have too much respect for you to see you doing this kind of thing, but melee players have feelings too, you know? When you say "JUST MOVE THE **** ON STUPID" like you basically did there, it sends a mixed message towards the community. You can't say that both people should "accept both games" while disregarding melee bashing; it's a direct contradiction.

I would just like to say I think the best possible MLG support would be Melee Singles, Brawl Doubles. In terms of a singles game Melee may be superior but in terms of doubles Brawl is definitely the superior. It would give equal play to both games and highlight both of their strong points.
From another thread:

Im gonna be honest, Melee Doubles is hella fun but I don't really like putting money into it. Despite the fact that players can become really good in double it really is a chaotic mess since its less "Team Strategy" and more "Two 1v1's on the same stage" Brawl's slower pace actually complements doubles more than anything as it allows players to react better to all things going on at once. Oh and there's no camping.

I still think this is the superior format. I've never been a fan of Melee doubles, I always would prefer if a tourney did another event instead like Low tiers or Crews. Doubles is not Melee's strong point
I think melee doubles is the most amazing thing to ever happen in videogames, personally.
"Chaotic mess" seems to suggest that melee doubles has some serious potential, if anything--it just sounds like you can't make sense out of it.

Also, gj on purchasing the smash community MLG. Hopefully you can value genuine competition instead of turning it into another cash cow.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This post made me so angry. AlphaZealot, I have too much respect for you to see you doing this kind of thing, but melee players have feelings too, you know? When you say "JUST MOVE THE **** ON STUPID" like you basically did there, it sends a mixed message towards the community. You can't say that both people should "accept both games" while disregarding melee bashing; it's a direct contradiction.
He's not bashing Melee, he's saying will you guys for the love of Goombas, stop going on about how super special awesome Melee is in any thread that has the hint of including both Melee and Brawl in it's discussion? Because it's annoying as hell and doesn't do a damn thing.

And yeah, you're going to have to get used to Brawl being in the spotlight and Melee being a bit off to the side. Melee isn't dead but it's no longer the lord of the dance that Brawl now is.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Melee is dead just because you guys say so? There are less tournaments for it, but it's due to the mentality that it's the past and needs to end that is truly killing it. Sorry that I disagree? Honestly, you guys are just in it for the money. I'm done with this thread.
k bye. Also, you're posting is bad, and you should feel bad. Your opinion is moot to pretty much everyone. If I were you, I'd either be quiet, or die. Probably die. But that's only cause I know what it's like to be me. It's like having Kozy Shack rice pudding, and then trying the Shop Rite Brand.

That's right. You're the Shop Rite brand. Bad luck.

i don't see how MLG will split the community any more than the release of brawl did.
It won't. Because most people play Brawl. The community isn't split. Those still on the Melee side are drowning. So either swim over to their (The Brawl) side, or drown.

GG says hi.
So does any shmup. 2 contrller Ikaruga plz.

yeah GG is deffinatly more technical than melee ez its not even fair.
word.

GofG

Smash Champion
This is terrible for the competitive smash community.

(Same thing Yuna said, except with stronger adjectives and implying that this makes it BAD instead of just not good)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I'm just gonna reinforce what's already been stated.

halo2sucks.com

Halo players took their hate of Halo 2 to a level Brawl bashers are not on at all. Halo 1 is considered by many to be the most competitive game in the series. Halo 1 diehards stubbornly stuck to Halo 1, when Halo 2 came out. MLG ran Halo 2 to a great degree of success, despite the Halo 1 whiners. Halo 1 became obsolete. The good players moved on and thrived in the Halo 2 era, taking advantage of the lucrative opportunities that MLG and other minor organizations presented, such as sponsorships, television coverage, and large sums of prize money. The community grew, MLG grew and everything worked out great. This would not have happened if they had stuck with Halo 1.

The current Brawl vs Melee situation is literally indentical to the Halo dilemma so far. Every pro-Melee argument is basically an exact replica of the fruitless pro-Halo 1 sentiments from 4 years ago. MLG runs the newest, most popular games of the series' they represent. It makes the most sense from business standpoint. If MLG ends up running Melee, I would be super extremely surprised. I wouldn't have my hopes up.

Insteading of arguing, people need to be excited that MLG is taking a renewed interest in smash again, at all. Any smasher that was around during the MLG era can attest that it was a great time for the community.

Iwan

Smash Ace
This is terrible for the competitive smash community.

(Same thing Yuna said, except with stronger adjectives and implying that this makes it BAD instead of just not good)
Gofg, you should probably hop off Yuna's nuts every now and then. I know you love melee, but stop citing what he says so often. Use your own opinion and stop mindlessly repeating the opinions of those you look up to. think4yourself kid.

I remember you told me you've never once been to an MLG event, so I don't expect you to be excited about this anyway.

You. Can still. Play Melee GofG. Jesus. Stop b****ing. The biggest name in competitive gaming just backed up the smash community. Be happy for that at least.

The good players moved on and thrived in the Halo 2 era, taking advantage of the lucrative opportunities that MLG and other minor organizations presented, such as sponsorships, television coverage, and large sums of prize money. The community grew, MLG grew and everything worked out great.
This is exactly what this reminds me of, and the reason I brought up the comparison early in this thread....and then again on like, page 3...and then again a page or two ago.......

someone do something desperate to get this topic back into a "happy" direction? (looks at dmbrandon :D)

MuBa

Smash Lord
People never learn do they...history only repeats itself. Seriously, it's fine that the die-hard Melee fans can have their own tourney and hate Brawl, but ragging about it day and night in every ****ing thread won't get them anything =/

You guys can stick to your old *** Betty Boop cartoons all you want, just stop ragging on Brawl. Melee had its chance to shine with MLG but ended up being ditched for not being popular and profitable enough. Brawl on the other hand does. If you guys don't like this crap then go cry like an emo and cut yourselves with a razor. No one likes a whiny emo *****. Seriously die-hard Melee fans, stfu. Go do something more productive like attempt to wavedash in real life or something...

bulgarian_kid

Smash Cadet
fucking sellouts.

Hopefully nothing will change in the way smashboards operates and funding and support is all we get from MLG. But we'll see.

aznforce817

Smash Lord
As long as the site stays the same then i don't mind MLG purchasing this site, if we can't even post our own tournaments on this site what will come of the smash community? Allisbrawl? i personally like Smashboards much better.

Iwan

Smash Ace
As long as the site stays the same then i don't mind MLG purchasing this site, if we can't even post our own tournaments on this site what will come of the smash community? Allisbrawl? i personally like Smashboards much better.
lol i love AiB...friendly community with good players.

Plus Neal is the f****** man.

Also, read the announcement guys, the site isn't changing. Better servers and that's it :)

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
I'm just gonna reinforce what's already been stated.

halo2sucks.com

Halo players took their hate of Halo 2 to a level Brawl bashers are not on at all. Halo 1 is considered by many to be the most competitive game in the series. Halo 1 diehards stubbornly stuck to Halo 1, when Halo 2 came out. MLG ran Halo 2 to a great degree of success, despite the Halo 1 whiners. Halo 1 became obsolete. The good players moved on and thrived in the Halo 2 era, taking advantage of the lucrative opportunities that MLG and other minor organizations presented, such as sponsorships, television coverage, and large sums of prize money. The community grew, MLG grew and everything worked out great. This would not have happened if they had stuck with Halo 1.

The current Brawl vs Melee situation is literally indentical to the Halo dilemma so far. Every pro-Melee argument is basically an exact replica of the fruitless pro-Halo 1 sentiments from 4 years ago. MLG runs the newest, most popular games of the series' they represent. It makes the most sense from business standpoint. If MLG ends up running Melee, I would be super extremely surprised. I wouldn't have my hopes up.

Insteading of arguing, people need to be excited that MLG is taking a renewed interest in smash again, at all. Any smasher that was around during the MLG era can attest that it was a great time for the community.
this is totally different. im sure halo 2 & 3 had their own AT's. brawl has none. and dont name all the little stupid ones. brawl is basically a kids game. a kids game that bigger kids with the experience can dominate. comparing the move from halo 1 to halo 2 is nothing close compared to going from melee to brawl. everyone knows that with the way they made brawl, theres no way there can ever be high-level competition. itll just be a competition. thats what makes melee a totally different game. i dont see brawl as the next series of smash. i see it just as brawl. melee is melee. brawl is brawl. there is no number like 1, 2 or 3. its just a totally different game. the mechanics from melee were deleted for totally new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom