• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips for ZSS? I cant't approach her with tornado because she knocks me out of it, I can't approach on the ground due to her gun and that $%^&* whip, I can't approach in the air because of her jumps and that %^&* whip again.

I can't get close enough to fight her, but that whip she spams so much either hurts, or pulls me in for a grab >_<

How can I get around that whip?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have any tips for ZSS? I cant't approach her with tornado because she knocks me out of it, I can't approach on the ground due to her gun and that $%^&* whip, I can't approach in the air because of her jumps and that %^&* whip again.

I can't get close enough to fight her, but that whip she spams so much either hurts, or pulls me in for a grab >_<

The simplest answer is "don't get hit".

The way to achieve this is through spotdodging, airdodging spacing, and especially baiting her whip since she has so much lag afterwards. You'll beat her pretty solidly in close quarters, so once you get there it's much easier.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

her whip is VERY obvious to see coming. i play with my brother in this matchup all the time... and i almost never lose anymore. he has completely stopped using the forward b against me now because he simply cannot hit with it once. if youre on the ground.. she might pivot then use it.. or short hop then use it.. either way, just judge the ditance you are from her.. wait until you see it start to come out.. and running power shield it, or air dodge if you're in the air, then you can run in for a grab every time. it's all about judging the distance she is from you, she'll always use it when you try to run at her once you get in range. just start predicting it . it also has a blind spot ( a space where it shows the whip, but the whip's hitbox actually isn't there) it's about in the middle.. a little bit closer to her than the middle. i'm not going to explain exactly where it is but it'd be a great help if you find it.

Nic64

Smash Lord
power shield it, if she's spacing it well you'll have an extremely difficult time punishing it simply by baiting it and letting her whiff it, it's easy to see coming and shield on reaction though

edit: shadow beat me by a few seconds lol

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
Should i play agressively against yoshi?

if so how to approach.

and same questions for dk

thx

btw im more of a defensive, wait and punish how they approach type :p

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten

empty SH is good to bait the whip, then AD it or tornado during its start up. Only the sweetspot can knock you out of nado. I used to have so much trouble with the whip but as you learn the matchup it gets easier to avoid.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
MK is top tier - if you can master him, you don't need a secondary

Since you don't need a secondary, you can use any character you want and have fun with them - MK can handle any match-up, so your second can be someone you just have fun with, instead of someone to cover your mains weaknesses (we all know MK has none :))

That being said, if you feel you really need to main a second out of necessity rather than fun, MK has a few tough match-ups; Snake and Diddy among them (who in turn have their own weaknesses); so check out the Snake/Diddy/other boards and see who they have problems with

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
MK is top tier - if you can master him, you don't need a secondary

Since you don't need a secondary, you can use any character you want and have fun with them - MK can handle any match-up, so your second can be someone you just have fun with, instead of someone to cover your mains weaknesses (we all know MK has none :))

That being said, if you feel you really need to main a second out of necessity rather than fun, MK has a few tough match-ups; Snake and Diddy among them (who in turn have their own weaknesses); so check out the Snake/Diddy/other boards and see who they have problems with
Well I'll second Shiek and third DDD. :)

thexcheat

Smash Rookie
This is has probably been answered before, but the search engine really isn't working for me right now.
So what should I be doing with meta knight in terms of spacing? Like how should I be spaced when I am playing with him.
A redirection will be as satisfactory as a reply, thanks!

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
This is has probably been answered before, but the search engine really isn't working for me right now.
So what should I be doing with meta knight in terms of spacing? Like how should I be spaced when I am playing with him.
A redirection will be as satisfactory as a reply, thanks!
F-air, F-tilt, and D-tilt are all good moves for spacing.

SageofGlory

Smash Rookie
Aside from M2K, what MK players should I watch? Like...top 5 in terms of skill...

I want to go youtube hunting for some good MK videos. So...top 5 MK players? Aside from M2K.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Aside from M2K, what MK players should I watch? Like...top 5 in terms of skill...

I want to go youtube hunting for some good MK videos. So...top 5 MK players? Aside from M2K.
Off the top of my head...

Dojo, Infinity, Korn, Lee Martin, RedHalberd, teh_spammerer

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I've got a question - I play someone who's really good at dodging - spot dodging, rolling, air dodging, etc - I can't land a hit, so I've seen what dodging can do for someones game

Is powershielding enough, or should MK be airdodging and spot dodging/rolling - if so, should it be a big part of his game, or something that's more situational?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I've got a question - I play someone who's really good at dodging - spot dodging, rolling, air dodging, etc - I can't land a hit, so I've seen what dodging can do for someones game

Is powershielding enough, or should MK be airdodging and spot dodging/rolling - if so, should it be a big part of his game, or something that's more situational?
iirc, nado > spotdodge.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Brinboy, do you mean that nado beats spotdodge, or that you should nado every time instead of spotdodging?

Because GaW's like to say that Up-B > Spotdodge because it is almost always the better choice.

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
when someone rolls behind me I'm prone to dsmash ( i know its a bad habit) i've been thinking about shing

dair but im not sure which move is best to punish rolls. So what do you suggest

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have a question. Is there a Metaknight chat where Metaknight mains hang out? If so, may I have a link? Thanks.

Aiko

Smash Champion
sniper: there isnt a chat room really. if you have any questions in regards to MK i suggest you read the Metaknight directory first. IF your questions havent been answered, then ask here. If you want general chit-chat, go to the pool room from the main hub.

Nic64

Smash Lord
-Affinity said:
Off the top of my head...

Dojo, Infinity, Korn, Lee Martin, RedHalberd, teh_spammerer
*adds plank and DSF to list of MK's to watch*

pixelbind said:
when someone rolls behind me I'm prone to dsmash ( i know its a bad habit) i've been thinking about shing

dair but im not sure which move is best to punish rolls. So what do you suggest
you could ftilt them, if they roll from too far away and wind up right inside of you SH nair, both hits for 19%! dsmash can be good at either really low percents(sometimes you can get it to hit twice), or really high percents for the KO, but yeah, in between you want to save it more.

Top Bottom