• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
After a few SLs -> Glide Attack -> D-smashes on shield, does anyone else like to mix it up by using a f-smash instead of a D-smash? I find the opponent "punishing" the wrong one, and getting hit.

Good idea?

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
should i use c-stick for aerials or just traditional a button?

Nic64

Smash Lord
c-stick is usually better because it allows you to move around while performing the aerial better, for instance you can do a retreated forward air attack. other times you might want to use the A button like it really makes no difference if you're doing a rising uair string, but if you want to falling uair spam, you'd want to use the cstick, and using the cstick allows you to perform aerials while jumping most easily

Kaenon

Smash Rookie
using the cstick allows you to perform aerials while jumping most easily
do you mean with tap jump? i find it hard to move my thumb to the c-stick and back to X between each jump, any tips? or do i just need to practice.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
How much should spot-dodging or shielding be a part of MK's game? Should it be a large part, or only used in certain situations?

Nic64

Smash Lord
do you mean with tap jump? i find it hard to move my thumb to the c-stick and back to X between each jump, any tips? or do i just need to practice.
you could do that, I actually use my index finger a lot for this

How much should spot-dodging or shielding be a part of MK's game? Should it be a large part, or only used in certain situations?
depends on your opponent, MK does have really good out of shield options so it's a valuable tool but sometimes you don't need it as much. spot dodge is good but with any of your defensive options you don't want to get predictable, any time you can dodge or perfect shield an attack on reaction is good though

Vel

Smash Apprentice
depends on your opponent, MK does have really good out of shield options so it's a valuable tool but sometimes you don't need it as much. spot dodge is good but with any of your defensive options you don't want to get predictable, any time you can dodge or perfect shield an attack on reaction is good though
Thanks for the reply; where can I go to learn more about MK's out of shield options?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MK does not have a CG. If you're good at landing grabs, sometimes you can get another grab in after a dthrow. That's the closest you'll get.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Can MK CG? Just asking. I tried it on CPUs with Dthrow, it works.
This has to be the 10,000th time this has been asked. Remember to use the search function.

No, MKs D-throw does not chain-grab. You can do it to CPUs because they don't DI. Humans can avoid it easily.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You can re-grab them as they land. That is all M2K did. He read Ally and re-grabbed him.

MK.Has.No.Chaingrab.

My question: I was watching some B.I.O. 2 videos, and I saw a MK do an air release against a Wario.. standing in the middle of battlefield. It was in the losers finals, and he did it multiple times! Is there a way to make this happen, or is it just a mistake on the Wario's part?

I would normally assume it was a mistake, but it happened twice and I would figure Futile would know how to force a ground break...

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
MK.Has.No.Chaingrab.
Actually, he has a ground-release chaingrab on Ness and Lucas and can end it with a guaranteed D-smash.

My question: I was watching some B.I.O. 2 videos, and I saw a MK do an air release against a Wario.. standing in the middle of battlefield. It was in the losers finals, and he did it multiple times! Is there a way to make this happen, or is it just a mistake on the Wario's part?

I would normally assume it was a mistake, but it happened twice and I would figure Futile would know how to force a ground break...
Futile must've inputted a jump command while trying to break out. That's the only way he could've jump-breaked in that situation.

-Syn-

Smash Cadet
Does MK gain a frame advantage from auto canceling an f-air or b-air hitting with only the first or the first and second hits? If so what is the advantage?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Actually, he has a ground-release chaingrab on Ness and Lucas and can end it with a guaranteed D-smash.
OH BOY, NESS AND LUCAS. I'M SO GLAD YOU TOLD US ALL THIS BECAUSE I WAS GETTING ***** SO HARD BY THEM ALL THE TIME. NOW THAT I KNOW THAT WE HAVE A GRAB RELEASE ON THEM THERE'S NO WAY I'LL LOSE TO SUCH LOW-TIER, LIGHTWEIGHT CHARACTERS WITH POOR RECOVERIES AGAIN. THANK YOU AFFINITY FOR SHEDDING LIGHT ON THIS EPIC DILLEMA.

caps4sarcasm

Vel

Smash Apprentice
We haven't even finished our own Shiek match-up because no one posted anything

I can't help because I've never fought Shiek 1 v 1 before

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
OH BOY, NESS AND LUCAS. I'M SO GLAD YOU TOLD US ALL THIS BECAUSE I WAS GETTING ***** SO HARD BY THEM ALL THE TIME. NOW THAT I KNOW THAT WE HAVE A GRAB RELEASE ON THEM THERE'S NO WAY I'LL LOSE TO SUCH LOW-TIER, LIGHTWEIGHT CHARACTERS WITH POOR RECOVERIES AGAIN. THANK YOU AFFINITY FOR SHEDDING LIGHT ON THIS EPIC DILLEMA.

caps4sarcasm

Well, Lucas at least does "pretty well" against mk.
I use to play french's best ness and lucas, and, even though ness isn't that much troublesome, lucas can be pretty deadly to mk.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412

caps4sarcasm
You're welcome :p

Nic64

Smash Lord
seriously, I think you could take grabbing out of the equation entirely and lucas would still be one of MK's easiest matchups

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
seriously, I think you could take grabbing out of the equation entirely and lucas would still be one of MK's easiest matchups
It depends there are few amazing lucas mains(that i know of...)

But one thing iv found is that MK is kinda weak to a strong spike and lucas can follow you out off the stage with 3 of em (2 bair and a dair)

So its not as easy as you may think.....

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Even m2k get reduced to one stock vs. lucas!
LMAO, it's cause he was doing it wrong... or probably wasn't trying hard cause he doesn't need to... either way, if you just jump camp him and poke with dairs and fairs then it makes it extremely hard for the lucas to even touch MK. My roommate's Levitas. I play against his Lucas quite a bit. This is seriously a ******** bad matchup.

Zip.

Smash Lord

caps4sarcasm
lololooolololol <3

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yn5ZRouWqI&translated=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46XGCyKMR6Y

Even m2k get reduced to one stock vs. lucas!

And ****ty mks can be screwed by lucas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KneFURqWQ6w

(Well, I previously (a looong loooong time ago, before I started to enter tourneys, but whatever) mained Lucas... I can't say he sucks that much ><).
M2K is known for not being amazing at low-tier match-ups.

Meta Knight destroys Lucas once the MK knows what to do, as with every match-up that's strongly in his favor.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I have a noob question.

How do some MK's (DSF would be a good example) controll the tornado so well? They make it last longer (tap b more for that I'm guessing) but they also make it go DOWN instead of up (which happens whenever I hit B repeatedly even when I'm holding down on the analog stick).

thexcheat

Smash Rookie
What is the best attack for meta knight if your opponent is handing off the edge of the stage and yourself(mk) are recovering. I know shuttle loop is pretty good but it can be lethal to yourself if your opponent knows what he is doing.
So what is a safe way to attack your opponent(who is grabbing the edge[preferably pushing him downward]) while recovering?
Thanks in advance

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What is the best attack for meta knight if your opponent is handing off the edge of the stage and yourself(mk) are recovering. I know shuttle loop is pretty good but it can be lethal to yourself if your opponent knows what he is doing.
So what is a safe way to attack your opponent(who is grabbing the edge[preferably pushing him downward]) while recovering?
Thanks in advance
Drill Rush and Tornado are both good. Any of MK's specials aside from dimensional cape can work here.

Is grab boosting and Reverse grab boosting at all useful with MK?
What?

I've never heard of either of those. Grab boosting sounds like Dash Attack Canceled Grabs, which I believe is not possible in Brawl, and reverse grab boosting sounds like pivot grabbing, which is situationally useful for every character.

Top Bottom