• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Tero.

Smash Champion
Drill Rush and Tornado are both good. Any of MK's specials aside from dimensional cape can work here.

What?

I've never heard of either of those. Grab boosting sounds like Dash Attack Canceled Grabs, which I believe is not possible in Brawl, and reverse grab boosting sounds like pivot grabbing, which is situationally useful for every character.
Boost Grabs or DACG are in Brawl (lol Snake can cg Falco with boost grabs), but they're not usefull for MK.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I use Wiimote & Nunchuck and I'm in a bit of a problem, I can't short hop with tap jump! Any tips on custom controls I could set to make a button "jump?" I already have C button "Grab" and the control pad "Smashes."

The reason I need this soo much is in MK dittos, I always lose because their sh fair has priority over my fh fair.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
im thinking of taking tap jump off with mk
can i get any opinions on if i should have tap jump on or off
thx :D

Tero.

Smash Champion
im thinking of taking tap jump off with mk
can i get any opinions on if i should have tap jump on or off
thx :D

Use the search function.
This has been discussed like 2384238493849384923843943438948934 times.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
Well I like the tap jump so I can move up, forward (Or back) and attack at the same time, and if you use Y on the GameCube controller for jump, than you gotta be fast to jump & attack at the same time. But if your fast enough and don't like tap jump, than go for it!

Jar'd

Smash Ace
I like tap jump on so I can up-b out of shield, and because I'm weird and end up doing full jumps with control stick half the time.

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
Hey, I am trying to figure out a great MK partner for team brawls.

Ganon: tank supreme, side B can link into team combo's, awesome meteor smash.

Olimar: Ridiculus range, racks up damage like a beast, great throws, great U-smash.

Wolf: Heavy, tank, projectile, reflector, stupidly ranged F-smash.

Capt. falcon: Possible wombo combo.

Falco: Projectile, shine, happy feet, spiking side B, good approach.

Which do you guys think I should have as my partner?

Tero.

Smash Champion

Olimar: Ridiculus range, racks up damage like a beast, great throws, great U-smash.

GaW/DDD/Snake

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Marth and wolf work out well with mk too...

I've teamed with some falco in tournament too, but had a bad experience teaming with him though...
(maybe because the player wasn't that great, but that's not everything...)

Dojo

Smash Champion
I agree, using MK is a problem.
Agreed, let's just all quit.

Teams stuff.
Your best choice of those would be either Oli or Wolf to maintain decent stage control and hopefully get early smash kills, while you rack damage and be the agressor offstage. Only problem is that they can get easily gimped by a smart team. You won't really have a stock tanker.

Ganon and Falcon, even in teams, still suck. That's that. Falco doesn't do that well in teams either. He can get gimp ***** to hell.

For serious partners, if you wanna get far, team with GW, D3, Wario, or Snake. For obvious reasons, of course...

Santi and I have done very well in teams with MK/TL in the past. I go on the offensive, while he backs me up with projectiles, racks little damage, and heavily tanks. Idk how, but he never dies. xD

seriously, double MK in teams ***** too hard. double tornado makes for CRAZY shield pressure
This could work too. Although, I personally don't like it. GW/Snake can handle them if they play smart, control the stage, and get early kills.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MK/Snake works really well in teams, even without the omnigay. Snake owns the stage with grenades and C4 and MK just gimps everybody.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308

Ganon: great in teams, im not sure with mk though

Olimar: im not sure

Wolf: Great partner with meta knight, both can do sick grab combo and wolf is really great at racking up damage in team

Falcon: he sucks

Falco: sucks in teams

So, i would go with wolf or ganon

Mando254

Smash Cadet
Ahhh I got a question, I wanna how do you Slide Back with MK's Fsmash if so can you give me a Video .?

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
A... stutter step fsmash?

You should revise your question lol.
Are you asking for instructions on how to do that or are you asking if that action is possible?
==> It's not the stutter step fsmash, it's a pivot cancel fsmash (or something like that).
(vitamin_x explained how to do it).

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
olimars upsmash hits a lot behind him if ur in the air -_- the purple one goes so high hits you out of glide, blue can grab u before u can swat it away since it has no armor

Dojo

Smash Champion
olimars upsmash hits a lot behind him if ur in the air -_- the purple one goes so high hits you out of glide, blue can grab u before u can swat it away since it has no armor
If you time it correctly, you can FFAD the entire upsmash, and hit the ground fast enough to powershield the 2nd if he attempts it again. Free grab or tilt for you in that situation.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have found that when I approach with a retreating SH fair, people tend to roll behind me and punish through OoS methods. What should I do to get out of this kind of situation or how do I counter this kind of reversal?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Try mixing it up with a full hopped retreating fair and then dair before you hit the ground if they try to roll?

That's all I can think of.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I have found that when I approach with a retreating SH fair, people tend to roll behind me and punish through OoS methods. What should I do to get out of this kind of situation or how do I counter this kind of reversal?
What characters specifically give you trouble with this?

You can just turn in place and get a grab if you can anticipate the roll. Spacing also has to do with this. You may still be going in too close before retreating, thus them being able to roll behind you.

Only character that has typically given me trouble with rolling behind me was Lucario, which typically they'll just start to initiate a jab combo, into that sideB bull. In which case you can hit a grounded upB inbetween the jabs.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
What characters specifically give you trouble with this?

You can just turn in place and get a grab if you can anticipate the roll. Spacing also has to do with this. You may still be going in too close before retreating, thus them being able to roll behind you.

Only character that has typically given me trouble with rolling behind me was Lucario, which typically they'll just start to initiate a jab combo, into that sideB bull. In which case you can hit a grounded upB inbetween the jabs.
Typically fast character's such as Sheik tend to give me trouble in this area. When I space the fair, they sometimes roll past the whole thing and punish with a very fast move (Ex. Sheiks land Dsmashes during my landing or get me into their f-tilt chains).

Nic64

Smash Lord
Mix up your approach with other moves, you can also try an empty short hop, a bit farther away than normal and just see what they do(make sure to be out of their range, lucario has great range on his fsmash but if you're just outside of it you can punish it with a dash attack usually). The biggest thing is to not be predictable and approach the same way every time though, or even avoid really approaching altogether(get in their discomfort zone where you're still pretty safe and make them make the first move). none of lucario's ranged attacks are that fast so you can power shield or dodge a lot of them reactively, sheik is another issue but baiting her rolls should be pretty effective, she has much less invulnerable frames than lucario on her roll so it's extremely punishable. biggest thing is just learning to pick up on peoples behaviors and punishing them, if you know your opponent likes to roll around you when you come after them then it's a lot easier for you to deal with it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
When I have trouble against rolling opponents, I normally like to start Dairing more. Dair their shield, you can dair them again when they roll =D

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I usually dsmash to punish rolls but I guess this is a bad habit.

My MK is weird.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Would dairing while they roll be long enough to get them while their roll isn't in invincibility frames?
He means he D-airs during the beginning or ending frames of a roll where the opponent is vulnerable, not in the middle.

Simply predicting the roll and grabbing is the best option though IMO.

Top Bottom