• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Vertical: DI left or right and spam dair
Horizontal: DI up left or up right and use one uair and after that hold the "Y" button till you start gliding
I'm going to have to correct you on this:

Vertical:

DI left or right towards the nearest corner and keep spamming up on the C-stick until a U-air comes out. When you hear a U-air, start spamming D-air; this will cause you to go into fastfall without having to slam down on the control stick.

Horizontal:

DI up and hold up while spamming U-air. Using your multiple jumps to jump towards the corner makes surviving at higher percentage much easier. You can use a glide if you're not too high up, but its not always necessary.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
What's the best method to DI when knocked vertical/horizontal?
Basically DI'ing perpendicular to the direction you're sent at will have the biggest effect on the trajectory you're sent at, and generally make you live longer, but watch out because in brawl you can kill yourself over the top sooner by DIing "too well" in some situations... and then yeah, attacks and what other people said and such...

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to correct you on this:

Vertical:

DI left or right towards the nearest corner and keep spamming up on the C-stick until a U-air comes out. When you hear a U-air, start spamming D-air; this will cause you to go into fastfall without having to slam down on the control stick.

Horizontal:

DI up and hold up while spamming U-air. Using your multiple jumps to jump towards the corner makes surviving at higher percentage much easier. You can use a glide if you're not too high up, but its not always necessary.
For the vertical, I have tried the uair ->dair thing and it seems that using dair makes you survive longer. Do you have to fast fall the uair? That might be why I am living longer for the dair instead of uair->dair.

Horizontal: Does spamming uair actually do anything? Wouldn't doing one have the same effect? When does the glide help?

Sorry about all the questions. I am just a little curious :)

ace156

Smash Apprentice
sorry if this has been asked before, i did a search and didnt find anything about it in here;

theres a friend of mine that likes to play as GaW and likes to use the grab->down throw->dsmash combo constantly. i read in a forum that the best thing to do was to "tech out of it"

but i dont quite get how one techs out of the move. at low percentages its possible to roll before the dsmash hits allowing the invincibility frames to take over. but if you time it incorrectly it seems like the buffering system makes you wait a split second longer which means the dsmash connects. can someone explain how to "tech" out of this move?

noodles

Smash Champion
hit R or L. when your hit into something like the floor, a wall, ceiling if you hit R or L you catch your self and you invincible for a small amount of time. if your holding left or right while you tech you roll that direction. if your hit at a wall and you hold up as you tech, you wall jump

ace156

Smash Apprentice
ok so in the instance of GaW down throw its best to tech roll? which means timing correctly hitting L or R and also having the control stick moving to the left or right?

just want to make sure i have things correct before i go and practice this for a while ><

thanks a bunch

noodles

Smash Champion
yeah pretty much. you need to switch it up though. like if u keep rolling left and i catch on. id just run left charge an upsmash and wait for you to get to me

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know how many moves MK's F-tilt counts as? For refreshing stale moves, does it count as 1 or 3 hits (assuming all 3 tilts hit)?

Thanks for any help

Jar'd

Smash Ace
It counts as 3 separate moves.

And affinity, on the momentum canceling thing, when you hold down on the control stick before you use the uair, I always thought that once the uair came out you would automatically start fastfalling, not that you need to hold down on the control stick afterwards. I thought that only applied to nair.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
You're right, but in order to DI perfectly, you need angle your control stick horizontally (in order to target any diagonal corner)... Then, the fact to angle it down, even for just enough time to fast fall uair, would be a loss to your DI...

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
For the vertical, I have tried the uair ->dair thing and it seems that using dair makes you survive longer. Do you have to fast fall the uair? That might be why I am living longer for the dair instead of uair->dair.?
No, the U-air is the first, fastest momentum canceler (2 frames). All the D-airs afterward will put you into fast fall. This means you won't have to worry about fastfalling with the control stick.

Horizontal: Does spamming uair actually do anything? Wouldn't doing one have the same effect? When does the glide help?
Spamming? No. It's just to insure a U-air comes out as fast as possible.

And affinity, on the momentum canceling thing, when you hold down on the control stick before you use the uair, I always thought that once the uair came out you would automatically start fastfalling, not that you need to hold down on the control stick afterwards. I thought that only applied to nair.
That could work, but I like to cancel momentum with an U-air then start D-air'ing because the D-airs put you in fastfall without the need of the control stick. The control stick is only needed for inputting DI, as I said earlier in this post.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Using an aerial after getting hit cancels HITSTUN, not momentum.

Get it right, geez.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
umm, I'm not sure if that's a joke but... no... if you can do an aerial then you're not in hitstun...

Jar'd

Smash Ace
No, Bowyer.
There are 2 phases of hitstun. The first is where you can't do anything at all. The 2nd is when you can't do any special attacks or jumps. This will ware off eventually, but you can end it instantly by doing an air attack. Then you can jump/use specials to slow your momentum and live longer.

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
question about dtilts:

if i want to set it up for a grab should i grab them when they have tripped or right after they get pushed back

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
hmm, I suppose you're right sir... I guess that's something I always knew but didn't realize.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
question about dtilts:

if i want to set it up for a grab should i grab them when they have tripped or right after they get pushed back
It's much better to grab them when they trip; its a guaranteed grab.

If they don't trip, they can just dodge and punish.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
can olimar shield grab dtilt?
The grabbox on Olimar's grab comes out sometime after frame 11. (We don't have Olimar's frame data in the Oli boards, but I remember someone briefly tested it on the Ike boards a while ago and got 11 frames) Now, looking at MK's frame data, you'll find that the hitbox on MK's dtilt comes out on frame 3, ends frame 15, and has a shield advantage of -11.

What this means is that Olimar can shieldgrab MK's dtilt if he's standing right next to Olimar (where it will take 11 frames for him to shieldgrab an opponent). Obviously, it will take longer for Olimar to grab an opponent that's standing farther away because it's a tether grab as well as the speed of his grab also being dependent on which pikmin is in front. White pikmin run the fastest, followed by blue/yellow/red pikmin, and finally purple pikmin which run the slowest. (Running speed- White>Blue=Yellow=Red>Purple)

After taking all of this into account, you'll find that Olimar can shieldgrab MK's dtilt if MK is standing right next to Olimar, but because of how long it takes for the pikmin to actually reach MK when he spaces a dtilt, Olimar can't shieldgrab spaced dtilts used in succession.

Nic64

Smash Lord
IIRC you can shield drop and power shield repeated dtilts though, in which case oli should be able to shield grab I think.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
IIRC you can shield drop and power shield repeated dtilts though, in which case oli should be able to shield grab I think.
Maybe. Like I said earlier, we don't have his frame data yet.

I would think that if the Olimar player powershielded a dtilt and shieldgrabbed with a white pikmin, he'd be able to do that without getting interrupted. As for the rest of the pikmin, I've got no way of knowing for sure.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I just got slaughtered by a pair of IC's - I know my range is better than theirs, and I really need to work on spacing, but my question is - how do you keep someone AWAY? I can tilt fine, but they;re persistent little buggers O_o

I'm sick of getting CG'd and spiked off the stage >_< and I'm wondering, after I tilt and knock them away, should I jump back to increase my distance, or should I press forward and hope I don't get grabbed? It seems against a CG like theirs, I should play more defensively - should I? Or should I just be more aggressive?

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Against IC, camp in the air. They'll get impatient and try to chase you with aerials, then rack up damage/get them in air with tornado. Once they're in the air, go ****. Be very patient though; only thing they have on you in this matchup is their grab.

Edit: Freaking A, no one answers my questions in these threads. I'm really tempted to erase this advice.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Ok, what I'm trying to ask is how not to do what happens at 4:12 (I know Dojo wasn't turned around in shield and did a dash grab to whiff) Take 2:30, but say he shielded a spaced f-smash or something. Do they pivot to get that grab (I'm assuming that takes too long and is not fast enough to avoid sidestep/getting hit) or something I don't know about. I always overshoot like at 4:12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03CNWe9Oik

You need to tilt the control stick in the opposite direction, but you need ONLY to, because if you push the control stick too hard, you'll do a reverse dash grab...

Are you happy? Or do you want a lemon too? :bee:

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
How good is his pivot grab?
Does anyone use it?

I was thinking like a mini Dthrow chain combo
Dthrow > Pivot Dthrow > DA > ShuttleLoop/Nair/Nado?

Tero.

Smash Champion
How good is his pivot grab?
Does anyone use it?

I was thinking like a mini Dthrow chain combo
Dthrow > Pivot Dthrow > DA > ShuttleLoop/Nair/Nado?
You can do dthrow -> DA -> pivot grab.
Pivot grabbing is situtional tho.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I've got a question about the IDC - it's done via down-B and up on the c-stick? I think it works because of a glitch that occurs when MK hits the ground?

If I ever have to face it, would I be correct in thinking that the user must stay on the ground, and that I'd be safe on a ledge?

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Well if it's in a tourney, just call someone who's helping run the tourney and get your win.

You should be fine on the ledge though if someone insists on using it in friendly.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, friendlies are what I'm concerned about; I'd like to find a way to avoid it so the user is forced to fight me.

Just wanted to make sure I'd be safe if I jumped up on a ledge/platform or took advantage of MK's air time :)

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Yeah, friendlies are what I'm concerned about; I'd like to find a way to avoid it so the user is forced to fight me.

Just wanted to make sure I'd be safe if I jumped up on a ledge/platform or took advantage of MK's air time :)
yes, iirc IDC can only be performed when going downwards.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Quick question - When MK hits with a dtilt, whether it trips me or not (so both options) what are MK's best options for next attacks? Whenever I'm hit with a dtilt I generally have no idea what to do.

Top Bottom