• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Pummeling is 1 hit per pummel.

But if your dsmash, shuttle loop, nair, and fair are stale, uthrow can kill at high percents.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Yeah, like at 180%+.
I figured since MK's U-throw has KO potential it would be a good idea to know at what %'s it can kill.

After testing I came up with this:

-

Heavy Weights
King Dedede -------------- 193%
Snake --------------------- 185%
Donkey Kong ------------- 184%
Ganondorf ---------------- 176%
Bowser -------------------- 176%

Medium Weights
Ike ------------------------- 175%
Captain Falcon ----------- 175%
Link ------------------------ 173%
Charizard ----------------- 170%
Wolf ----------------------- 170%
Wario --------------------- 170%
Yoshi ---------------------- 167%
Samus -------------------- 164%
Ivysaur ------------------- 164%
R.O.B. -------------------- 162%
Lucario ------------------- 161%
Sonic --------------------- 161%
Mario --------------------- 160%
Pit ------------------------ 160%
Luigi ---------------------- 159%
Marth -------------------- 157%
Diddy Kong--------------- 157%
Ness ---------------------- 156%
Toon Link ---------------- 155%
Lucas -------------------- 154%
Falco --------------------- 153%
Ice Climbers ------------- 152%
Peach -------------------- 149%

Light Weights
Olimar ------------------- 148%
Pikachu ------------------ 148%
Zero Suit Samus -------- 148%
Zelda -------------------- 146%
Sheik -------------------- 144%
Fox ---------------------- 143%
Kirby -------------------- 142%
Meta Knight ------------ 142%
Mr. Game & Watch ---- 136%
Squirtle ----------------- 135%
Jigglypuff --------------- 129%
-

(All tests done from the middle of FD)

EDIT: Thanks to Mew2King for correcting me about differences between %'s in VS. mode and Practice mode; hence why the %'s are now approximate.

Just something to help the MK community; (I apologize if this has already been done).

-Affinity
But you shouldn't actually go for uthrow KO, it's more like if you just grabbed them: "oh maybe uthrow kills them now" *uthrows* *success*

Gates

Banned via Warnings
But you shouldn't actually go for uthrow KO, it's more like if you just grabbed them: "oh maybe uthrow kills them now" *uthrows* *success*
Right, that's what I meant. And if all your kill moves are stale than getting in the extra 30% shouldn't be too hard.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I do that a lot, I'll chase people around doing pointless tornado's tilts and down throws until I can up throw them -_- the top platform on battlefield also can reduce the % necessary by a bit...

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Uair kills are godlike!!!
But it happens way more in doubles...
(when any opponent is thrown away with you, know that your uair will be faster than any of their attacks^^).

Veng

Smash Ace
So as my MK is improving and I'm learning more and more....

Is it more effective for Meta Knight to use tap on or off? I prefer off just because I can up tilt and do many many more things without screwing up, but its sort of hard to U air fast enough ( since its super fast ) and I'm going from X to A.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
I say on because SL out of shield is easier to do and in most situations SH up-air is better than up-tilt. Or you could just slide you finger from x to a in a similar fashion as a ganon autocanceled stomp.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Is it possible to cancel Dimensional Cape with a nair? I just saw M2K do that in a vid against dojo and it was odd.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
I just had my *** handed to me by a Wolf - I realize most of it is b/c I'm a terrible MK who can't space effectively, but his side-b just tore me apart; it's so fast that I just kept getting hit by it.

Apart from being less predictable and learning better spacing - is there any way to deal with that move or Wolf in general (read the match-up thread already - can't seem to keep him in the air)?

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
@veng most mk's keep tap jump on so than can do ustrings easier, up+b out of shield etc...

@vicious it depends how you angle drill rush

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Veng: Imo, tap jump on lets you have more control over your character. Once you get used to tilting the control stick, doing tilts isn't a problem, and even though I don't jump with up often, I do it occasionally while letting my right thumb sit on the c stick... up b's out of shield are also easier.

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Anyone know any "good" ways of killing Snake? The "Match-up" thread says to space well. Well all of MK's attacks trigger the nades, no matter how good you are at spacing. And even when he's in the air (above stage, not off) he pulls out a nade and all your attacks are screwed.

The only stradegy I find useful is grabs, nothing but grabs to throw him off stage, than punish him with airials. But grabs only get you so far.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Grabs are good, yes. A perfectly spaced D-tilt won't trigger the nades, get a friend and play around with that. Getting him into the air and not letting him down is the main damage racker.

Also, if he is offstage and using his recovery, you can nair him out (meh), dair him out if it is fresh, or best shuttle loop him for the kill. When you shuttle loop it will always hit the Cypher, so you will be able to live from Shuttle loops you normally wouldn't be able to survive.

Protoboy11

Smash Cadet
how do you do reverse shuttle loop?

ya know, like how you are facing one way, then instantly shuttle loop the opposite way

Domino64 (The JOKER)

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone's already asked this question but...

What's the best way to do aerials with MK, or any char for that matter?

I always used to use the A button, but since last night, I'm trying to switch over to purely C-stick for all my aerials. Is that a good choice? The C-stick is pretty slippery sometimes. What's the setup you use Dojo or anyone else who plays MK, because I used it mostly for dairs but is doing it for all aerials a good idea?

Also, another thing. I have both a Wavebird controller and a regular GC Controller (Brand New). Is one better than the other? Which one should I use?

rocklee10

Smash Journeyman
Well I use Wiimote+Nunchuck combo with custom controls, making my control pad all smashes (similar to C-stick.) And I like using the control pad for the reason Jumpman does. You can Dair offstage while flying up at the same time.

Protoboy11, it's very difficult with a control pad, but with a control stick (i.e. like on GC controller/Nunchuck) just push the control stick in the opposite (still up) corner that your traveling and press B.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone help with Ness?

His attacks out prioritize tornado, his dash attack outranges anything MK can throw out, and his PK Fire just stops me cold and sets up up for an easy smash - so that kills any approach

The only way I've found around this is to take him to FD and just use my 5 jumps to hover and avoid PK fire, but then when I try to land, he's got a yo-yo waiting for me

Thanks for any help

brinboy789

Smash Champion
All right, how do you you turn around grab out of shield without overshooting your grab a million feet? I want to be able to do 2:30 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03CNWe9Oik&feature=related
i think thats just a let go of shield, turn around, and grab...

Can anyone help with Ness?

His attacks out prioritize tornado, his dash attack outranges anything MK can throw out, and his PK Fire just stops me cold and sets up up for an easy smash - so that kills any approach

The only way I've found around this is to take him to FD and just use my 5 jumps to hover and avoid PK fire, but then when I try to land, he's got a yo-yo waiting for me

Thanks for any help
keep the pressure up. im pretty sure tornado outprioritizes his attacks, ftilt outrange dash attack maybe? use dair strings/space your fairs well. PK fire is extremely slow on startup and has alot of ending lag so it shouldnt be a problem. yoyo's are also really slow, and can be easily avoided

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Ness can be kinda hard at first but if you space your fair and ftiltREALLY well, it will shut down everything ness has

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Just get Ness off the level and go for the gimp. Don't worry about conserving your D-smash.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Are you serious? You can throw out 2-4 attacks in the space of time Ness has used 1 or 2 half the time. Are you seriously unable to see where this might in some way work toward your advantage? I'm just going to go out on a limb here and note that you can pretty much just rush Ness and overwhelm the poor character. Powershield those PK Fires, it's easy to see them coming anyway, he even announces it for you in case you arent paying enough attention. Once he's off stage, you can just hit him once and it's practically all over for him. His recovery isnt anywhere near as good as Lucas'.

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
SH Dair and Dair string work wonder on ness too, because he can't hit you with ease when you use that: he only can sh Fair, contrary to lucas who can sh pk fire... (because ness's sh'ed pk fire hits downward^^)... then, you'll be really annoying...
You can nado after some dairs too.

noodles

Smash Champion
grab ness, keep regrabbing him till your at the edge, dthrow, then you **** him

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
i think thats just a let go of shield, turn around, and grab...
Ok, what I'm trying to ask is how not to do what happens at 4:12 (I know Dojo wasn't turned around in shield and did a dash grab to whiff) Take 2:30, but say he shielded a spaced f-smash or something. Do they pivot to get that grab (I'm assuming that takes too long and is not fast enough to avoid sidestep/getting hit) or something I don't know about. I always overshoot like at 4:12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03CNWe9Oik

Browny

Smash Hater
does upb have invincibility frames when used in the air? im quite sure it doesnt... it would explain a lot lol but im not 100% sure

Top Bottom