• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
Should I intentionally play more defensive in mk dittos?

Recently I have been trying to play a more defensive mk but i find that some of my other matchups have been doing worse than before.

If somone could give a list of characters where being defensive would help, that would rock.

thx

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Pixel: Playing defensive in mk dittos is key since mk dittos are gay and whoever attacks first is usually the one who gets punished. F-tilt is all you really have to do in that match-up as long as you do it after your opponent.That is probably the only match-up that you should play defensively. There are some matches that you should play more cautiously, but not defensively.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I think GAW at least is another matchup where you can pretty much camp FTW, possibly a few others even...a lot of times it's circumstancial like I play defensive against diddy when he has banana's but not when he doesn't at all, or falco before I hit 40%...but yeah, cautious offense is usually what you want to do unless the other character or your opponent has a really hard time with handling all out aggression, in which case that works fine too.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I haven't seen much DC usage of pros for recovering...maybe I haven't seen enough matches.

Level 9 computers (or any level I guess) piss me off though...they ONLY use DC to recover, and they never use Shuttle Loop EVER.

It's like Sakurai knows it's his best move (or one of them) and he doesn't want to give me a way to practice against it if I have nobody to play with.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Is Torndado an effective edgeguard vs. another MK? In other words, can he nair or Shuttle loop from underneath and cancel your tornado?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Is Torndado an effective edgeguard vs. another MK? In other words, can he nair or Shuttle loop from underneath and cancel your tornado?
Yes, its very effective. Tornado beats Shuttle Loop and N-air.

Shuttle Loop can go through SL, but its very difficult to land correctly.

Dojo

Smash Champion
If your reading an opponent who's about to shuttle loop or an MK gliding towards you, then yes it can be effective. It can be beaten though, there are better ways to edgeguard another MK.

Also, I hope to liven up these boards a bit more. It seems so egh, so I'll be answering questions full time on here, and updating the OP with FAQs and what-not so we don't have to deal with so many repeats.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If your reading an opponent who's about to shuttle loop or an MK gliding towards you, then yes it can be effective. It can be beaten though, there are better ways to edgeguard another MK.

Also, I hope to liven up these boards a bit more. It seems so egh, so I'll be answering questions full time on here, and updating the OP with FAQs and what-not so we don't have to deal with so many repeats.
I'm assuming that means that you don't do it when they are above you/use tornado stupidly? I'm just worried if they are going to recovery from the lower end.
Good to know, tho.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
So I have a tournament coming up, and I'm trying to think of good CPs for MK. I know high ceilings are key, but what about horizontal edges? Short means easy SL gimps, but a huge boundary with a small stage is also good for edgeguarding.

My current thoughts are BF for a neutral (against everyone but Snake), Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, and Norfair. As for banning, should I always go FD, or switch it up against someone like Snake?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Just a quick question: What are some good follow ups to moves such as Dthrow, Ftilt, and other moves that hit your opponent up close and in front of you?. I guess you could call them combos, but I'm pretty unaware of any combos that do exist. I usually do a Dthrow then go into an Ftilt, just because it works a large portion of the time. Any tips?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I thought mk was good on FD.
FD isn't that great of a level for MK. Its usually banned by high level playing MKs.

Just a quick question: What are some good follow ups to moves such as Dthrow, Ftilt, and other moves that hit your opponent up close and in front of you?. I guess you could call them combos, but I'm pretty unaware of any combos that do exist. I usually do a Dthrow then go into an Ftilt, just because it works a large portion of the time. Any tips?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5mx_UHPes

Kinda old and outdated, but most stuff in it is still good. I'll probably put out a more updated one sometime soon.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Oh wow a question I'm good at answering. Dthrow is my favorite move to follow up with something for Meta, YAY!

Out of dthrow, at low to moderate percentage you can pretty much guarentee you will be able to hit a fair after it on the vast majority of characters. At lower percentage you can get off a dash attack and then a utilt. If they let you this can lead to further moves such as a second utilt, uair, nair or even tornado.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
@ Affinity: Some of the things on that vid were pretty good, I'll have to try them. Thanks.

@ Inferno: I tried Dthrow to Fair and it also worked well. Usually I just Dthrow and Ftilt or sometimes shuttle loop.

Thanks guys.

catfriedrice

Smash Journeyman
So I'm in a tournament that features 5 minutes timed only on FD. In the past 4 weeks to qualify, every time I face the tourney winner, he beats me in Sudden Death with Snake. The first time, He did that dash roll. I did the stupid dash at him thinking I could wipe him out with a DSmash if I missed the Dash Attack. Don't use that anymore. Second time, I goofed up and he did the same exact move. More than likely, I'll face him again. My question: If I get to sudden death with him, what's the best way to start against Snake? Right now I've practiced running at him, SH D-air, but since all I have around me are stupid computers, they seem to fall easily.

Kinda funny that I already know I'm up against a Falco, MK, G&W, then Snake if I win out. In all reality, what's a good way to start a Sudden Death against these if that comes about?

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
So I'm in a tournament that features 5 minutes timed only on FD. In the past 4 weeks to qualify, every time I face the tourney winner, he beats me in Sudden Death with Snake. The first time, He did that dash roll. I did the stupid dash at him thinking I could wipe him out with a DSmash if I missed the Dash Attack. Don't use that anymore. Second time, I goofed up and he did the same exact move. More than likely, I'll face him again. My question: If I get to sudden death with him, what's the best way to start against Snake? Right now I've practiced running at him, SH D-air, but since all I have around me are stupid computers, they seem to fall easily.

Kinda funny that I already know I'm up against a Falco, MK, G&W, then Snake if I win out. In all reality, what's a good way to start a Sudden Death against these if that comes about?
Is this post for real? LOL...

catfriedrice

Smash Journeyman
Is this post for real? LOL...
It is for real. Tournament is local, 5 minutes timed. Winner gets $250 worth of prizes. The top 4 of each week go on to the finals, and I placed in the 3rd week (2nd Qualifier). The names are posted, and I know that I'll face a player who's used Falco. Following that is either the winner of Link vs MetaKnight, and I destroyed the Link player in the 4th week. I don't see him making it past a MK who, funny story, beat me in the 4th week in Sudden Death because we were both too chicken to cross the bomb path (took an extra 5 minutes too).
Look, I know MK has a lot of priority moves, but the dash is easily blocked and punished. The tornado must hit on the last frame, and I usually miss the grabs. I've searched through this forum (and the search function), but I can't seem to find any good advise for a good starting move in SD, or at least what isn't recommended. I'm not "LOLZ HW DO i winz SD", just what most find effective

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
It is for real. Tournament is local, 5 minutes timed. Winner gets $250 worth of prizes. The top 4 of each week go on to the finals, and I placed in the 3rd week (2nd Qualifier). The names are posted, and I know that I'll face a player who's used Falco. Following that is either the winner of Link vs MetaKnight, and I destroyed the Link player in the 4th week. I don't see him making it past a MK who, funny story, beat me in the 4th week in Sudden Death because we were both too chicken to cross the bomb path (took an extra 5 minutes too).
Look, I know MK has a lot of priority moves, but the dash is easily blocked and punished. The tornado must hit on the last frame, and I usually miss the grabs. I've searched through this forum (and the search function), but I can't seem to find any good advise for a good starting move in SD, or at least what isn't recommended. I'm not "LOLZ HW DO i winz SD", just what most find effective
Grounded Shuttle Loop?

Invincibility Frames FTW?

Sudden Death is dumb...

Tero.

Smash Champion
Oh man i was going to post "grounded SL" but Affinity is just too fast ...

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Nado outpriorize snake's DAC and is easier to use than the SL if you want to stop the DAC...
(and I'm almost sure that it kills at 300%).

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yes it does, but you'd have to hit the last hit of the nado to have the knockback kill. Getting out of the nado, especially in the early parts of it, isn't hard before the knockback hit of it kills the Snake. He's looking for a better option to start a sudden death... which is wtf.

Nic64

Smash Lord
at that % I wouldn't be surprised if even snake could DI out of the tornado entirely but I can't test it right now. not that hard to just wait for him to DAC at you and up B at the right time, also in the later phase of the snake dash you have to watch out for the mortar shell which could interrupt tornado and kill you anyway

and lol timed matches/sudden death =(

ADHD

Smash Hero
I have a question. What is this grab combo on the ledge with dedede mk has, I did something similar with diddy. Mk just grabs him and the retarted grab break animation occurs and then mk gets a free nair? I couldn't replicate this in training mode, how do you do this?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Slide off the edge. It's a release happening because the ground isn't there any more and if you just mash the A button then they eat a neutral air. It works on more characters than just DeDeDe; it's just easier to do to him because he's so farking huge.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
So I have a tournament coming up, and I'm trying to think of good CPs for MK. I know high ceilings are key, but what about horizontal edges? Short means easy SL gimps but it also results in early deaths. A huge boundary with a small stage is good for edgeguarding, but can be a bit harder to get low % kills.

My current thoughts are BF for a neutral (against everyone but Snake), Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, and Norfair. As for banning, should I always go FD, or switch it up against someone like Snake?
bump because the only response I got was that FD is a good stage to ban.

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
I'm nearly positive that this has been asked in here, but I can't find it. What is planking? This is the only word on these boards I don't understand... =/

Veng

Smash Ace
I tend to get really simple in my game like ill just end up approaching with SH Fair, Dtilt > Ftilt or a few d tilts or f tilt, while it works, its some what repetitive, any tips?

Protoboy11

Smash Cadet
noob question about stale moves

moves get unstale after 9 hits with different ones right?

and you can only **** the hits while hitting somthing like the opponent or pillars in luigis mansion right? so just using a move and not hitting doesnt count?

Nic64

Smash Lord
yes, the counter is 9 moves and just throwing them out there and not hitting anything is useless. ftilt is good because each of the three hits counts, likewise grab pummeling is good when you need to refresh moves but MK's grab pummel is slow...

Veng

Smash Ace
Ah I did not know this,

so once my up b, dsmash and fair get stale since they are my general kill moves, if I use grab pummel like 3 times then dthrow... then f tilt... itll be less stale?

what happens if you use your ftilt a lot anyways? I like to use my ftilt for spacing my opponent, same with d tilt and fair

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
I think it's: grab pummell 3 times: 1 hit (I've read a few times that grab pummel X times counts as one hit, but I might be wrong), dthrow=1 hit, fully used ftilt: 3 hits.
And, if you use jab... Is each hit counted as one hit? or is it like nado: the whole attack is counted as one hit?
Then, know that if you hit opponent's shield, it's not counted as a hit.

Fair is one hit, ftilt is 3 hits, dtitl is one, so, if you use sh fair==> dtilt ==> ftilt (5 hits total)few times, the move won't be too staled (It will be counted as if each move was only used one time before you use it again)...

Top Bottom