• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Since I dont follow metas metagame and I need a secondary/main, who are metas three hardest matchups?

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Well, I already main Falco, but I just don't see him doing well pretty soon. Plus he's all about camping and chaingrab. Trying to show more skill. Snake, idk, he's a possibility along with diddy.

I want somebody who gives meta trouble at least.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Well, I already main Falco, but I just don't see him doing well pretty soon. Plus he's all about camping and chaingrab. Trying to show more skill. Snake, idk, he's a possibility along with diddy.

I want somebody who gives meta trouble at least.
...? i just gave you what the general consensus of SWF for MK's worst matchups. if you want a list of people that might give MK trouble:

snake
diddy
falco
yoshi
bowser
olimar
wario (idk but im starting to hear that wario is starting to have things against MK O.o)

since you main falco, look here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208387

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking kirby. My friend is starting to pick him up, but right now it's not that big of a deal.

I might make Kirby a secondary though, and go with somebody with a lot of neutral matchups as a main.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are MK's good and bad stages? Also, some reasons why would be helpful too if that doesn't bother anyone.

Nic64

Smash Lord
best neutral would probably be battlefield, he has great platform pressure, worst would be final destination as it is easier for people to camp you there a lot of the time and it's diddy's best stage for banana abuse. the neutrals are all pretty good for MK though...I also like smashville a lot, the platform moving beyond the stage can allow for a lot of shuttle loop related stuff. yoshi's island is also pretty good a lot of the time, it's small so it makes it harder for people to run from you.

my favorite MK counterpicks are frigate orpheon and delphino. orpheon's first phase has no ledge to grab onto on the right side, knock someone off there and they have to be considerably more predictable than they are normally where as MK should never encounter problems such as that. excellent stage against people with mediocre recovery. orpheon is also pretty small so it's not that easy for people to camp you. both stages have walls that you can dtilt trap people on. delphino's main platform can be passed through from the bottom so you always have a lot of options recovering and can very often get attacks in from beneath the stage. certain parts of the stage bring you very close to the blast zones which makes it great for low % KO's. castle siege can also be pretty good, the second phase of it has the statues that can disrupt a lot of characters' camping and also allows you to get close to the KO walls. luigi's mansion is great for MK if you love tornado abuse, personally I think this stage needs to not exist but it is advantageous for you. rainbow cruise is slightly less gay but I still hate picking it, great for MK though! it allows you to really take advantage of your flying and aerial skills and also has area's where you're very close to the KO walls, someone posted a video here a while ago where they killed someone at 0% with shuttle loop. brinstar and jungle japes would probably be the worst, japes encourages a lot of camping and anyone with a good meteor smash can potentially cause a problem...avoid this stage against falco. brinstar actually isn't too bad for MK I think, the fact that he can fly gives him a great advantage in pressure when the lava rises and he can ftilt/dtilt the...things connecting the platforms to the ground to refresh his moves, but, lava = unecessary damage, and MK is a lightweight. oh, and norfair is pretty good for most of those same reasons and it encourages a lot of aerial combat. pokemon stadium 1 has walls that you can dtilt trap on and is pretty good in general. halberd is pretty average IMO but it does have a pass through platform that is great. overall best CP's would be luigi's, RC, delphino, and orpheon, although you want to look for what kind of stage traits you want to have against what characters.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
best neutral would probably be battlefield, he has great platform pressure, worst would be final destination as it is easier for people to camp you there a lot of the time and it's diddy's best stage for banana abuse. the neutrals are all pretty good for MK though...I also like smashville a lot, the platform moving beyond the stage can allow for a lot of shuttle loop related stuff. yoshi's island is also pretty good a lot of the time, it's small so it makes it harder for people to run from you.

my favorite MK counterpicks are frigate orpheon and delphino. orpheon's first phase has no ledge to grab onto on the right side, knock someone off there and they have to be considerably more predictable than they are normally where as MK should never encounter problems such as that. excellent stage against people with mediocre recovery. orpheon is also pretty small so it's not that easy for people to camp you. both stages have walls that you can dtilt trap people on. delphino's main platform can be passed through from the bottom so you always have a lot of options recovering and can very often get attacks in from beneath the stage. certain parts of the stage bring you very close to the blast zones which makes it great for low % KO's. castle siege can also be pretty good, the second phase of it has the statues that can disrupt a lot of characters' camping and also allows you to get close to the KO walls. luigi's mansion is great for MK if you love tornado abuse, personally I think this stage needs to not exist but it is advantageous for you. rainbow cruise is slightly less gay but I still hate picking it, great for MK though! it allows you to really take advantage of your flying and aerial skills and also has area's where you're very close to the KO walls, someone posted a video here a while ago where they killed someone at 0% with shuttle loop. brinstar and jungle japes would probably be the worst, japes encourages a lot of camping and anyone with a good meteor smash can potentially cause a problem...avoid this stage against falco. brinstar actually isn't too bad for MK I think, the fact that he can fly gives him a great advantage in pressure when the lava rises and he can ftilt/dtilt the...things connecting the platforms to the ground to refresh his moves, but, lava = unecessary damage, and MK is a lightweight. oh, and norfair is pretty good for most of those same reasons and it encourages a lot of aerial combat. pokemon stadium 1 has walls that you can dtilt trap on and is pretty good in general. halberd is pretty average IMO but it does have a pass through platform that is great. overall best CP's would be luigi's, RC, delphino, and orpheon, although you want to look for what kind of stage traits you want to have against what characters.
By my standards from what you said, most of those stages sound right/accurate IMO according to how they help improve MK's abilities in battle while hindering some other characters. So I believe that you're right here. Also, is Luigi's Mansion a good stage for MK because those poles can absorb almost every kind of projectile and also while under the solid platforms while the structure is still up, this can prevent MK from being easily KO'd vertically from your opponents attacks. Would that be right? Also, I agree with the fact that people do CP stages according to what character your opponent uses.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Rainbow Cruise, Luigi's Mansion, and Delfino Plaza were decided as MK's best counterpick stages in the MK Backroom.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Not really. I don't like fighting on Rainbow Cruise anyway. I can beat Snake with marth though, so it doesn't matter.

I still win with MK, and that's what it's about.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Apparently from what I heard from the Marth boards, Norfair is a fairly good stage for MK. (Well, they say not to CP him there EVER.) What do you guys think about it? Also, what's 'planking' mean?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I love Norfair. I'm surprised the MKBR didn't agree that it was one of his best CPs.

Planking is excessive ledgecamping, to the point of stalling.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I love Norfair. I'm surprised the MKBR didn't agree that it was one of his best CPs.

Is that the only reason why MK excels on that stage compared to others? Could planking also apply to other characters who have recovery abilities like MK eg. Pit and Kirby?

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! Yesterday I played a really good fox, and I've got some questions:
He can combo me very well at low percents: the first time he hit me is usually a 0 to 50% combo, even though I try to DI and SDI it: he utilt lock me, and often grabe me in the middle of the lock... Is there a way to di it properly?
Then, he has got his "100% kill": the dair to usmash.
If he manage to touch me with the dair, and is in front of me (I've got the time to shield the usmash if he attacks from the back), I can't dodge the usmash which comes next.
Is there any way to DI/tech/shield it?
Well, even if it's really for me to shieldgrab this, and to counter the dair with mk's uair or fair, it's still a great kill move, so, please, if anybody could give me some hints on how to **** this little fox, TELL ME!

Nic64

Smash Lord
Is that the only reason why MK excels on that stage compared to others? Could planking also apply to other characters who have recovery abilities like MK eg. Pit and Kirby?
characters like pit and ROB are good at ledge camping, people actually did it with them well before plank did it as it's a bit more obvious, they can pop up and shoot projectiles...GAW is also very good at this

Hey guys! Yesterday I played a really good fox, and I've got some questions:
He can combo me very well at low percents: the first time he hit me is usually a 0 to 50% combo, even though I try to DI and SDI it: he utilt lock me, and often grabe me in the middle of the lock... Is there a way to di it properly?
Then, he has got his "100% kill": the dair to usmash.
If he manage to touch me with the dair, and is in front of me (I've got the time to shield the usmash if he attacks from the back), I can't dodge the usmash which comes next.
Is there any way to DI/tech/shield it?
Well, even if it's really for me to shieldgrab this, and to counter the dair with mk's uair or fair, it's still a great kill move, so, please, if anybody could give me some hints on how to **** this little fox, TELL ME!
a big thing with fox is to just avoid getting hit with his dair, at all. just stop letting it happen and it makes him so much easier. up tilt can beat it but he can jump above you and use his shine to stall and bait it and then drop down on you, you could shuttle loop at the last instant and it'll beat it because of invincibility frames, you could jump up and falling uair spam, readjust your positioning so you're no longer below him and punish him when he lands, shield and then short hop nair really fast...but just don't get hit by the dair. also not sure why you're not able to shield the upsmash some of the time, I always have been able to, but dair to dsmash I think always works so yeah, try not to get hit with that. I usually try and DI the tilt lock up and away, you still get stuck in it a bit but not as high as 50% at least and he shouldn't be able to grab you if you do that...and if he's not careful(if he's spamming it to 50% he's probably not), you can dair him once you're out. aside from avoiding the dair, good spacing should keep you out of the utilt lock most of the time.

something you want to try and abuse against fox is his sometimes mediocre recovery, his illusion isn't too bad, but any time he has to use his fire fox he's pretty much dead unless you mess up, it's a very easy free dair. an easy way to set up for an edge guard is a near edge grab release, if you have fox hanging off the stage while pummeling him, he'll fall at a really bad trajectory, he can jump back up to the ledge without having to use his up B, but you can hit him before this happens, if you run off and dair him you can actually just go back and hog the ledge for the kill most of the time, if not then he's probably in range to hit him out of fire foxes start up anyway. fox might have some way around this but that should be a good set up I think, everything I can think of for fox to do leads to a likely death actually(haven't actually tried this, I play a pretty good fox often but I actually just thought of this now). like I said, I have to try it on people but the nuts thing about this is that it appears like you can set up for the grab release with a dash grab from the *inner arrows* on FD, he slides quite far o_O his side B can also be gimped with some timing but if you're not confident in it you can just tornado it for some free damage at least. because of dairs trajectory any time you can use it near the edge it can lead to good things, dsmash, dthrow, and back throw are also decent ways to set fox up off the edge

be careful for his hyphen smash, if you do something that has much ending lag, you might be surprised from how far away fox can punish you with his kill move. foxes attacks don't have much range or priority in general, typically a good fox will have to bait and punish you a lot, so just be careful and take note of what kinds of tricks they try to trap you with

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, I managed to discover a few things you just said while playing him yesterday, but not the whole thing you said^^.
(well, he doesn't use only utilt to put me at 50%, it's more like 2-3 utilts, grab, and various stuffs next, and even if it was usually a 30% combo, it could lead me at 50% sometimes).

btw: Tomorrow, I'm gonna attend a 128 player tournament... Wish me good luck ;p.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Okay so far I've only got Jungle Japes as MK's bad stage. Are there any others or would the rest revolve around your opponents character?

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
Okay so far I've only got Jungle Japes as MK's bad stage. Are there any others or would the rest revolve around your opponents character?
even japes i wouldn't consider bad for mk. the sides are very small on that stage so if you manage to get in a shuttle loop off the side, they will die pretty easily. he also has no problem with getting out of the water and recovering, unlike some other chars. also, against chars who easily kill him upwards ( mostly every character lol) he will be able to survive muchhh longer than usual because of the amazingly high ceiling. i think it is probably his worst stage, but i don't think it's bad for him. i don't think he is bad at any stage in general, only in specific matchups on certain stages.

Deoxys

Smash Lord

We had it ranked 4th of commonly allowed stages. :p

a big thing with fox is to just avoid getting hit with his dair, at all. just stop letting it happen and it makes him so much easier. up tilt can beat it but he can jump above you and use his shine to stall and bait it and then drop down on you, you could shuttle loop at the last instant and it'll beat it because of invincibility frames, you could jump up and falling uair spam, readjust your positioning so you're no longer below him and punish him when he lands, shield and then short hop nair really fast...but just don't get hit by the dair. also not sure why you're not able to shield the upsmash some of the time, I always have been able to, but dair to dsmash I think always works so yeah, try not to get hit with that. I usually try and DI the tilt lock up and away, you still get stuck in it a bit but not as high as 50% at least and he shouldn't be able to grab you if you do that...and if he's not careful(if he's spamming it to 50% he's probably not), you can dair him once you're out. aside from avoiding the dair, good spacing should keep you out of the utilt lock most of the time.

something you want to try and abuse against fox is his sometimes mediocre recovery, his illusion isn't too bad, but any time he has to use his fire fox he's pretty much dead unless you mess up, it's a very easy free dair. an easy way to set up for an edge guard is a near edge grab release, if you have fox hanging off the stage while pummeling him, he'll fall at a really bad trajectory, he can jump back up to the ledge without having to use his up B, but you can hit him before this happens, if you run off and dair him you can actually just go back and hog the ledge for the kill most of the time, if not then he's probably in range to hit him out of fire foxes start up anyway. fox might have some way around this but that should be a good set up I think, everything I can think of for fox to do leads to a likely death actually(haven't actually tried this, I play a pretty good fox often but I actually just thought of this now). like I said, I have to try it on people but the nuts thing about this is that it appears like you can set up for the grab release with a dash grab from the *inner arrows* on FD, he slides quite far o_O his side B can also be gimped with some timing but if you're not confident in it you can just tornado it for some free damage at least. because of dairs trajectory any time you can use it near the edge it can lead to good things, dsmash, dthrow, and back throw are also decent ways to set fox up off the edge

be careful for his hyphen smash, if you do something that has much ending lag, you might be surprised from how far away fox can punish you with his kill move. foxes attacks don't have much range or priority in general, typically a good fox will have to bait and punish you a lot, so just be careful and take note of what kinds of tricks they try to trap you with
Matchup thread material?

even japes i wouldn't consider bad for mk. the sides are very small on that stage so if you manage to get in a shuttle loop off the side, they will die pretty easily. he also has no problem with getting out of the water and recovering, unlike some other chars. also, against chars who easily kill him upwards ( mostly every character lol) he will be able to survive muchhh longer than usual because of the amazingly high ceiling. i think it is probably his worst stage, but i don't think it's bad for him. i don't think he is bad at any stage in general, only in specific matchups on certain stages.
No way is it his worst stage. IMO that's Yoshi's Island (Melee) (not all MKs agree that it's awful for MK), although that stage isn't allowed usually, so his worst stage is FD.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Utaunt?

i think...up taunt has invincibility frames :laugh:

i started a wifi match, and it was laggy, so i up-taunted, which is " -_- " and the opponent was pit and he shot an arrow at me. it went THROUGH me. and he shot another arrow, and it seems like part of MK's utaunt makes him go down, and it dodged it.

not really useful, but a fun gimmick. :laugh:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
utaunt doesn't have invincibility frames. I've tested it.

You should use dtaunt anyway.

pixelbind

Smash Cadet
just curious but when you dash attack below 30 ish with mk the person ends up behind you. And quite a distance too.

Do you guys just not use dash attack at low % or is there a benefit to using it

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
just curious but when you dash attack below 30 ish with mk the person ends up behind you. And quite a distance too.

Do you guys just not use dash attack at low % or is there a benefit to using it
There's definitely a benefit.

If you time your dash attack so that your opponent lands right behind or above you at low %'s, you can SH N-air, U-tilt, Grab, or whatever else. Be creative.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... When it comes to bad MK stages, I'd say he's kind of similar to Kirby in that he doesn't really have bad stages, but simply 'less good' stages. For example, Corneria and Dream Land kind of neutralize his recovery and accentuate his weight due to the close blast zones. However, the close blast zones also allow him to kill earlier, which can solve one of MK's only problems.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Hmmm... When it comes to bad MK stages, I'd say he's kind of similar to Kirby in that he doesn't really have bad stages, but simply 'less good' stages. For example, Corneria and Dream Land kind of neutralize his recovery and accentuate his weight due to the close blast zones. However, the close blast zones also allow him to kill earlier, which can solve one of MK's only problems.
Dream Land? Don't you mean Green Greens?

S

smash brawl player 99021

yes, and yes but if he were playing someone heavier then they would survive (?) but MK being so light hes able to be killed easier... (?) again and yeah green greens sucks balls for MK so:psycho::psycho:

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Question 1:
When landing after a glide (in both cases from shuttle loop and a normal glide), is it better to press the jump button and cancel the glide or use the attack and do a glide attack into the ground.

Question 2:
Same question but what is better to end glide with when you are ending it in the air? (in both cases from shuttle loop and a normal glide)

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
If MK glide attacks right as he hits the ground, there will be no landing lag after the glide.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Can the glide be jump canceled? I didn't even know that.

Top Bottom