• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Nic64

Smash Lord
youtube search him playing melee and you'll have an entirely different appreciation for how precise he is, it's harder to judge someones technical skill in brawl but yes, he is near perfect.

I'd say any time you see someone use meta knights jab, it's 99% likely that they made a mistake, so that will always stick out as an obvious one, I think you most commonly see that if they mess up a close to ground glide attack...every now and then I accidentally do it trying to do a short hop nair, which is actually probably accounts for almost all times I accidentally use that attack.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Question:

I'm thinking about picking up MK as a serious secondary. I already play him occasionally but I main Ness, I've been playing more Snake recently than anything, and I use D3 as a cp to some characters. I've been to plenty of tourneys, played plenty of MK's, and even used him myself in a few tourney games, but I've never bothered learning any of the intricacies of the character. So the question is - are there any intricacies? AT's I should know about before playing him seriously? I know his moveset pretty well, I can space really well with him and I know the general strategies but I just feel like I might be missing some more advanced stuff.

finalstain

Smash Rookie
What are the most effective throw follow-ups? I'm mainly referring to dthrow, but since you can DI the dthrow I'll separate my question into two...

1.) If they don't DI (or DI away) from the dthrow, what are my best follow-ups? At very low %'s I like to try dthrow > dash attack > utilt > shuttle loop.... I know its probably not the best thing to do, but I don't know anything better. I also don't know any good follow-ups if theyre at higher %'s like 40ish..

2.) If they airdodge and DI toward after the dthrow (at very low %'s), is my best option to fsmash? Regrab? Try to Nair to ftilt?

And any further follow-up help would be great too...

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
@finalstain: dthrow -> slow walk -> charged fsmash after a predicted air-dodge works so often it's stupid :).

dthrow -> dash attack -> turn around f-tilt -> dash attack -> utilt can actually work sometimes...rarely, but when it works it's beautiful.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
What other kill moves does MK have that aren't D-smash and Shuttle loop since those can be shielded/ dodged respectively.
Fsmash and nair.
I'd say any time you see someone use meta knights jab, it's 99% likely that they made a mistake, so that will always stick out as an obvious one, I think you most commonly see that if they mess up a close to ground glide attack...every now and then I accidentally do it trying to do a short hop nair, which is actually probably accounts for almost all times I accidentally use that attack.
I only use jab by accident when I fail at a SH nair.
no mistakes? OMG is he God? I saw that he ***** Kevin so hard he left him crying because he made virtually no mistakes during the match. Can anyone define common mistakes you can make with MK and how to prevent them recurring?
By "mistakes," we mean "plays other than the best play possible." In other words, which mistakes are "common" vary player-to-player, but not maximizing follow-ups or not using the throw that will result in the most beneficial outcome are common "mistakes."

What are the most effective throw follow-ups? I'm mainly referring to dthrow, but since you can DI the dthrow I'll separate my question into two...

1.) If they don't DI (or DI away) from the dthrow, what are my best follow-ups? At very low %'s I like to try dthrow > dash attack > utilt > shuttle loop.... I know its probably not the best thing to do, but I don't know anything better. I also don't know any good follow-ups if theyre at higher %'s like 40ish..

2.) If they airdodge and DI toward after the dthrow (at very low %'s), is my best option to fsmash? Regrab? Try to Nair to ftilt?

And any further follow-up help would be great too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIOQPECVXo&fmt=18

Question:

I'm thinking about picking up MK as a serious secondary. I already play him occasionally but I main Ness, I've been playing more Snake recently than anything, and I use D3 as a cp to some characters. I've been to plenty of tourneys, played plenty of MK's, and even used him myself in a few tourney games, but I've never bothered learning any of the intricacies of the character. So the question is - are there any intricacies? AT's I should know about before playing him seriously? I know his moveset pretty well, I can space really well with him and I know the general strategies but I just feel like I might be missing some more advanced stuff.
Only non-banned "AT" known that is MK-specific right now is the Mach-Ftilt, unless you consider Shuttle Loop platform cancelling an AT, lol.

There are lots of intricacies to MK, but not so much intricate technical skill. MK intricacies are simply general things how to maximize combos and get through camping.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
There are lots of intricacies to MK, but not so much intricate technical skill. MK intricacies are simply general things how to maximize combos and get through camping.
dimensional cape tricksies are sort of AT-ish lol. cape on norfair = fun

anyways, im working on maybe a jab (well nair) lock with MK. i think the second hit of his nair jab locks, its happened more then once now. i'll test it later and maybe vids cause i dont know if i have a vide o camera :embarrass

edit: i just tested it, it...somewhat works. i think it only works at lower percentages, and it only works sometimes for me. dtilt can jab lock too but it doesnt trip all the time so its faulty. dtilt > dtilt > weakened nair > dtilt > dtilt > weakened nair > keep on going? maybe that'll work...test it later.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
anyways, im working on maybe a jab (well nair) lock with MK. i think the second hit of his nair jab locks, its happened more then once now. i'll test it later and maybe vids cause i dont know if i have a vide o camera :embarrass
When you can pull this off in a actual match, let me know.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Even if he could, it wouldn't change much.
You're right. It really wouldn't. I mean it requires a lot of effort and then again the opponent will try to get out of it quickly if the nair lock is not efficient. Falco's laser lock is efficient and effective. It requires no effort to perform. Just B, B, B onwards

Tero.

Smash Champion
You're right. It really wouldn't. I mean it requires a lot of effort and then again the opponent will try to get out of it quickly if the nair lock is not efficient. Falco's laser lock is efficient and effective. It requires no effort to perform. Just B, B, B onwards
You can just do better stuff after they get up and it's kinda situtional, too.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
i'd imagine nair lock would look alot like sonic bounceing on top of em (not from brawl sonic adventure battle 2 or w/e it was)

cant you just jab lock with A or does it only rlly work against walls?

Deoxys

Smash Lord
MK's Jab against a wall is easily smash-DI'd out of.

D-tilt is your best bet when your opponent is trapped against a wall.
We're not talking about locks against opponents that are lying on the ground? Or can even that be SDI'd out of, too?

Also, how do I do an extremely fast fair? LOL, jk.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I believe him. Toon Link's bair is broken. If it's not 2 frames, it's still really low.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ok, I have a few MK vs Marth Questions:

1. Attack Ranges
-Does MK's ftilt out range marth's ftilt? fsmash vs. fsmash? dtilt vs dtilt? fair vs fair? MK's dair vs marth's uair?

2. Can I SL Marth when Marth is using DB on my shield?

3. Can Marth DS OoS while I'm using tornado?

Thanks.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Ok, I have a few MK vs Marth Questions:

1. Attack Ranges
-Does MK's ftilt out range marth's ftilt? fsmash vs. fsmash? dtilt vs dtilt? fair vs fair? MK's dair vs marth's uair?

2. Can I SL Marth when Marth is using DB on my shield?

3. Can Marth DS OoS while I'm using tornado?

Thanks.
1. ftilt to ftiltThey have about the same range but since MK's f-tilt comes out a lot faster, it should beat Marth's purely by speed. fsmash to fsmash I wouldn't even use MK's forward smash in any case and it is slower. MK's dtilt is faster than his, his fair reaches you first.
2. Unless you jump after shielding because Shuttle loop wouldn't go as higher as DB and an aerial one does more knock back
3. Yes he can. He has about 4 frames of invincibility while doing the DS so he won't be affect by the tornado by the time he hits you.

K 2

Smash Lord
So you would recommended that I challenge marth's fair approach with a fair of my own?

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
So you would recommended that I challenge marth's fair approach with a fair of my own?
Against Marth's fair, it's all about punishing the little ending lag it has. I have tried using MK's fair against his and it doesn't work...

still no help with my ZSS problem!1!!!!1!!!1111!!!!!
Use your shield and try to interrupt her side B before it comes out if you are in the range of it tipping you without any momentum going on. Use your more faster sets of moves like ftilt and dtilt to keep her from using her broken 1 frame jab and don't let her every be below you, that's asking to get killed... Also, when edgeguarding, if you are versing a smart player, don't think that ledge hogging will do the trick, be a lot more creative because she actually has many options for recovery.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know any combos for mk that set up a jab lock?

i know Mk can jab lock, and ive seen a lot of other characters with combos that set up for the jab lock.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
what?

That's as fast as MK's uair oO

r u sure?
i'm not sure but its dam quick

I believe him. Toon Link's bair is broken. If it's not 2 frames, it's still really low.
lol thanks for believeing, but as santi has said toon link isnt broken he's just a lill booy

Toon Link's B-air hits on frame 6.
probs right i play about ten chars seriously so i some times confuse stats with others

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.
im going to bring this to the sonic boards.

Nic64

Smash Lord
short hop fast fall, there is no L anymore or at least there shouldn't be...

M4ssimo

Smash Rookie
Against Marth's fair, it's all about punishing the little ending lag it has. I have tried using MK's fair against his and it doesn't work...

Use your shield and try to interrupt her side B before it comes out if you are in the range of it tipping you without any momentum going on. Use your more faster sets of moves like ftilt and dtilt to keep her from using her broken 1 frame jab and don't let her every be below you, that's asking to get killed... Also, when edgeguarding, if you are versing a smart player, don't think that ledge hogging will do the trick, be a lot more creative because she actually has many options for recovery.
Thanks alot man this will help alot

Top Bottom