• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.J.

Smash Master
M2K said he was quitting like.. an hour after MK was banned, rofl. Yes Brawl and Melee.

Also, that second thing you quoted was so drenched with sarcasm you should have been able to see it, even on the internet...

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
but they should have an air time limit according to you
Not really because they wouldn't want to ruin their game (not by adding a limit but by making it necessary). If most of the players aren't going to abuse it, why put a limit on it?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Not really because they wouldn't want to ruin their game (not by adding a limit but by making it necessary). If most of the players aren't going to abuse it, why put a limit on it?
most players don't abuse planking as much as they should or can. why put a limit on it?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
most players don't abuse planking as much as they should or can. why put a limit on it?
I agree that they should have tested it out before they banned it but you have to agree that there are way more Brawl planking videos than Melee planking videos. Same thing with videos of players timing other players out

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'm not sure what Rajam or Ripple's plans are, but at the beginning of 2012, I'm gonna be mostly focusing on MK Banned tournies, yeah.

Llumys

Smash Champion
wait...when the....when did m2k retire?! (i assume you mean just melee...)

fountain of dreams, last i checked, is legal in 1v1; it's only 'banned' in 2v2 cause i hear there are bugs/problems that occur from lag or w/e (never witnessed it myself but w/e)

if the marth was sandbagging, that is his fault. If the marth sandbagged, it was because a) he underestimated the kirby player or b)he was overconfident. Both can/did lead to his defeat, and it's entirely his fault he chose not take on the kirby player with the utmost focus. One could argue part of the reason for using low tiers is to make the high tier user overconfident and/or surprise them with the low tier if they have little mu knowledge/experience against that particular character....mind games are a part of the game too.

Just because someone was/is 'obviously better' means jack. Look at all of the sudden 'new aces' or 'rookie aces' in racing, or fighters, or starcraft, or fighting, or this or that. That means nothing. If someone always won 'because they were better', we would never have underdogs or new champions. That is why fighting games are so successful; if you have the determination/talent/skill/hard work, you have a chance at being a top dog. Period.

I can't say anything bout pal. I don't (think) i own a pal copy, and i don't know anyone who does...is it even legal/used for us tournies...? (i've been trying to find it so i could try it out but :/...also, don't you have to have a region specific gc/wii to play pal as well...?)
sarcasm. ****.

Fractalis

Smash Rookie
T-T
but he's is so photogenic

oh well thats why I fight with more than one character

XD

DesertsEagle

Smash Rookie
If the ban MK they should ban ddk for having bananas, IC for chain grabbing, snake for using explosive, etc. This is stupid./

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
ur implying i used this site from when i started? lol i barely use this site now as u can see with like little *** post amount lol i started in 08 and didnt go to much in 09 then i went to more stuff in 10 and started rapin since then
fair enough.

Judo777

Smash Master
If the ban MK they should ban ddk for having bananas, IC for chain grabbing, snake for using explosive, etc. This is stupid./
haha yea and we should ban the shield button too. You seen that crap? I swear it blocks like every attack!!!!

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Guys, we have to ban Snake.

He uses explosive. Not to mention all his other ****. But his explosive? Those explosive are ridiculous.

link2702

Smash Champion
you know i really wish the topic of the ban hadn't spread like wild fire across hundreds of sites filled with casuals now...

and Rich from IGN seriously should of let a competitive smash player go into a bit more detail....such as how nintendo is NOT releasing a patch that removes metaknight :/ you know....stuff like that. rather all he did was post a topic saying "competitive players have banned metaknight in brawl"

and casuals far and wide rush into swf complaining left and right when they don't even realize

1. Why he was banned.
2. why this is NOT gonna effect em in any way shape or form.
3. THat nintendo is not releasing some patch that removes him from the game.

Thino

Smash Master
you know i really wish the topic of the ban hadn't spread like wild fire across hundreds of sites filled with casuals now...

and Rich from IGN seriously should of let a competitive smash player go into a bit more detail....such as how nintendo is NOT releasing a patch that removes metaknight :/ you know....stuff like that. rather all he did was post a topic saying "competitive players have banned metaknight in brawl"

and casuals far and wide rush into swf complaining left and right when they don't even realize

1. Why he was banned.
2. why this is NOT gonna effect em in any way shape or form.
3. THat nintendo is not releasing some patch that removes him from the game.
And why would you care about what casuals think in this context?

They can spread as much misinformation as possible, it is their fault for not accurately checking their source with someone from inside the community.

It's not gonna affect the competitive community in any way.

link2702

Smash Champion
still gets annoying when any site you go to "zomg mk is banned from brawlz D: nintendo's removing him on jan 9!!!!!"

or just coming into a topic like this and seeing a casual who just created an account to raaaaaaaaage about the mk ban.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
And why would you care about what casuals think in this context?

They can spread as much misinformation as possible, it is their fault for not accurately checking their source with someone from inside the community.

It's not gonna affect the competitive community in any way.
All competitive players were casual players at one point, however briefly.

Spreading misinformation to casuals is only hurting our chances of expanding the Smash scene and "recruiting" new players in the long run.

Thino

Smash Master
All competitive players were casual players at one point, however briefly.

Spreading misinformation to casuals is only hurting our chances of expanding the Smash scene and "recruiting" new players in the long run.
I'm not sure if rulesets can be direct reasons that would prevent a casual player from becoming competitive.

But if the community really does care about "recruitment" to some extent then we might start to be careful about how mediatized we can get about a new ruleset, since we have the proof now that it can easily put into the spotlight by gaming websites without nothing that can be done since nothing is actually official and copyrighted about it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Samus' boobs in your avatar are really weirdly positioned, lol, but I digress...

When you consider how adamant the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination", "Stop having fun, guys!" and "competitive smash is just exploiting glitches" misconceptions are with the casual community, it wouldn't surprise me if a Meta Knight ban that they feel is unjustified would just add fuel to the fire.

Thino

Smash Master
Samus' boobs in your avatar are really weirdly positioned, lol, but I digress...

When you consider how adamant the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination", "Stop having fun, guys!" and "competitive smash is just exploiting glitches" misconceptions are with the casual community, it wouldn't surprise me if a Meta Knight ban that they feel is unjustified would just add fuel to the fire.
This is why, if we do care about our reputation outside this community, we should try to keep the whole... you know.. "making a big deal out of it" situations to a minimum.

This is the 2nd time I've seen the Smash community exposed after the whole 2007 matter with Smash Dojo updates/Dylan_TNGA/4chan, and I honestly think that our reputation of "no fun allowed" will be following us no matter what new rules we add or what rules we remove.

I still believe that most of the casual players that throw out this kind of misconceptions are people that genuinely dislike the competitive Smash community or the fact that this game can be played competitively.

So if you tell me, to what extent we actually care about displaying ourselves as a good community that has fun and is welcoming to the public , maybe I'll tell you the relationship there is between gravity and Samus' boobs.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Brawl player so I won't begin to assume I know anything but i think the idea of 2 committees would be a good idea. I think that the committee that keeps Metaknight would show him dominating most tournaments. While MK banned committee would see other characters shining. All in all the problem with the Brawl metagame is that no one commits to low-tiers as much as they should. The reason Melee has been so diverse these past 2 years is because many people have worked their ***** off to play their low tiers. Taj's Mewtwo. Mango's Mario. Armada going YL against HBox. Etc
At one point Falcon was a low tier >.<, so was Puff and Pikachu. People made these characters what they are today. i seriously don't understand why people are comparing Brawl to Melee, they're both completely different games. They are played differently.... that's like comparing chess to checkers. Obviously the games have basic elements.. press this button to use this move, but the pacing, the physics of the game are different. The characters have different moves, speeds, weights, etc in Melee and Brawl.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I'm not a Brawl player so I won't begin to assume I know anything but i think the idea of 2 committees would be a good idea. I think that the committee that keeps Metaknight would show him dominating most tournaments. While MK banned committee would see other characters shining. All in all the problem with the Brawl metagame is that no one commits to low-tiers as much as they should. The reason Melee has been so diverse these past 2 years is because many people have worked their ***** off to play their low tiers. Taj's Mewtwo. Mango's Mario. Armada going YL against HBox. Etc
At one point Falcon was a low tier >.<, so was Puff and Pikachu. People made these characters what they are today. i seriously don't understand why people are comparing Brawl to Melee, they're both completely different games. They are played differently.... that's like comparing chess to checkers. Obviously the games have basic elements.. press this button to use this move, but the pacing, the physics of the game are different. The characters have different moves, speeds, weights, etc in Melee and Brawl.
Things like that have changed with Brawl too. Sonic became a decent character. Ness became a decent character. Ike became a decent character. Yoshi became a decent character.

hav0k

Smash Rookie
Aw come on. Meta Knight is good, but he's not THAT good that he needs to be banned.

...Okay, maybe he is, but he's got some pretty even matchups. He's pretty light, so good, strong, unpredictable finishing blows are the way to go. All Meta has is priority and insane recovery and speed and...

Yeah, no, forget it. Ban him.

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman
Things like that have changed with Brawl too. Sonic became a decent character. Ness became a decent character. Ike became a decent character. Yoshi became a decent character.
The difference is the characters in Melee are becoming used after 10 years instead of just 2 years.

C.J.

Smash Master
Aw come on. Meta Knight is good, but he's not THAT good that he needs to be banned.

...Okay, maybe he is, but he's got some pretty even matchups. He's pretty light, so good, strong, unpredictable finishing blows are the way to go. All Meta has is priority and insane recovery and speed and...

Yeah, no, forget it. Ban him.
Oh god, another havok.
Namesearch this havok. You have another name match!

The difference is the characters in Melee are becoming used after 10 years instead of just 2 years.
So Brawl is a simple game, what's your point?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
i seriously don't understand why people are comparing Brawl to Melee, they're both completely different games. They are played differently.... that's like comparing chess to checkers.
I understand your point, but this is a TERRIBLE GOD-AWFUL analogy. Chess is probably the most complicated game, like, ever. Thousands of books have been published on it, top players have put immense amounts of time into studying the game and Grand Master matches can go on for over 6 hours. Checkers is very simple in comparison.

A better analogy is chess vs. blitz chess. Blitz chess is more reaction-dependent and requires more tech skill (lol), but other than that it's pretty much the same.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually, as someone who plays chess, I can respectfully say it is not the hardest/most complicated game out there. Shogi (Japanese Chess) is vastly more complex by a magnitude I can't even begin to explain. Go is another game that's definitely "harder" or more complex.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
Oh my GOD. Go is so much more complex than Chess it's not even funny, and I've played both pretty seriously.

Besides that, I think your chess/blitz chess comparison was actually pretty spot-on. In Brawl I actually have time to think about what I'm going to do more, whereas in Melee I'm reacting to the other player constantly and pretty much playing on instinct.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Good point Hero. Probably the reason there are times I do so well in Brawl, and times I do so well in melee. I often like to play fighters on instinct, but there are times when I like to be slow and methodical xD Playing on quick instincts doesn't work nearly as flawlessly in brawl as it does in melee due to brawl's slower pacing >.< I end up rushing too much and getting punished T_T

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh my GOD. Go is so much more complex than Chess it's not even funny, and I've played both pretty seriously.

Besides that, I think your chess/blitz chess comparison was actually pretty spot-on. In Brawl I actually have time to think about what I'm going to do more, whereas in Melee I'm reacting to the other player constantly and pretty much playing on instinct.
people should play brawl in lightning mode, every previously slow move becomes at least "pretty good"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom