• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I LOVE FC

KISH AND CREW YOU ARE AWESOME FOR DOING THIS TOURNAMENT I HOPE YOU WILL HOST ANOTHER SOMETIME though i dunno if you guys will

i cant stress enough how awesome the tourny was. loved every bit of it

btw whats wrong with rr finals? every top 8 player played everyone so there was a clear winner over all of them. whats the issue

j00t

Smash Champion
This was easily the best tournament I've ever been too. A big THANK YOU to the Kishes and their crew for running this awesome event without any hitches.

Even though I got sick while I was up here, all of the smash I got to play helped me through the pain. :p

Round Robin for top 8 is ****ing awesome, so a big **** you to all the haters.

Shoutouts to come in the results thread.

AXE 09

Smash Master
This tournament was definitely one of the best tournaments I've ever been to. Very well ran, and the hype was insane!

Also just throwing this out there, I approve of the idea of the top 8 RR. I think it worked out very well

:phone:

'Fro

Smash Lord
This may have been the only Melee national I ever attend (real life johns looming), but I would be perfectly fine with that, because this tourney was AMAZING! Even parts you wouldn't expect greatness out of (the panel, the RR pools to determine the top placers, card games, etc.) were all really well done and provided an awesome, well-rounded experience! More specific shoutouts to come in the results thread!

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Best tourney I've EVER been to, by far. First national was awesome. Glad I got *****, hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Fyi, to those of you who weren't there, the way the Kishes ran the top 8 RR was perfect. You get the best possible results, and they calculated it out to where each set was played later to determine each player's placing, then announced and streamed accordingly. I was skeptical of it myself, but once I saw it play out, I have zero complaints and would love to see it ran like this again. So shoutouts to the Kishes for running this tourney perfectly.

I just want to say again to everyone I got to play, thank you so much for making this a mind-blowing experience and I can't wait to see some familiar faces at The Big House 2! =D

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I didn't realize that this is what everyone has been arguing over the entire time in this thread. You mean we got to see a freaking 8 person battle royale between some of the best players in the world???! Shizzin best idea ever!! How has no one thought of an idea like that before?? Having that much footage out there serious helps the meta game so much. I am very much so in favor.

clowsui

Smash Legend
while i do like the idea of an RR finals i want juggleguy or the kishes to address this point

even after 2 rounds of pools there is still some measure of variance in a DE bracket up until around 5th place. given that your 5 - 8th placings could be inaccurate, why is top8 a better cutoff than top6/top4?

additionally, what kind of benefits did you offer people who came in through winners? i haven't heard what actually happened in this regard yet

Shouldn't darkrain be 7th and kels be 8th? I thought pools usually go: # of set wins, # of wins, # of losses and then head to head if the the 3 aforementioned categories are tied.
kels came thru winners is my guess

-Chad-

Slackerator
if you had already played someone in bracket that you now played in the final RR you played a continued set where you you play to best of 5 using what the last result was as the starting point

KishSquared

Smash Master
I must see Darkrain vs. Mango.

Hopefully Darkrain was playing at his level.
You will not be disappointed by the set.

Quick note - a two-way tie is determined by head-to-head results, not winning record. A three-way tie is resolved by winning records, as long as one player didn't beat the other two (in which case he wins regardless of record).

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
The one thing I really liked about RR is that it removes a lot of the possibility of splitting. Ensuring competitive sets.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The one thing I really liked about RR is that it removes a lot of the possibility of splitting. Ensuring competitive sets.
True, although in this case, the chances of hbox and mango splitting would have been approximately 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

or so

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
could you imagine an apex top 8 round robin? where javi actually had to play everyone?

we might've actually had a decent idea of how good the guy is...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
could you imagine an apex top 8 round robin? where javi actually had to play everyone?

we might've actually had a decent idea of how good the guy is...
Yup. A Round robin makes it so the better player wins, unlike bracket where a lot of luck is involved. On the other hand you could say a best of 5 round robin finals is more a test of endurance than a test of skill.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
A++ tourney, best I've been to and probably will ever go to. Absolute worth the drive from NY. RR was awesome and I hope more TOs follow suit. Hey Kishes, when is the next one?

:phone:

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Naota, FC did do an extra round of pools; they just put that round of pools after the bracket instead of before. We get more sets both ways, yes, but it's nice to have more sets of a high level.
actually, you had to get through 2 rounds of pools just to make bracket, and then you had to make top 8 in bracket to get into the final round robin "pool"

results were not affected significantly by the tournament format. Mango won every set in the RR and came from winners bracket, placing 1st. Hbox only lost to Mango, placing 2nd, and also coming from winners. If you continue the bracket and use the set results from the round robin, I think you'll find that the results for top 8 are hardly different anyway.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Folks be sleepin' on FC.

Format was exceptional. When I see someone who actually attended give legitimate reasons that it was less hype than a full bracket, I'll consider the argument valid. I highly doubt that will happen though, because the event was ****ing amazing.

Proper shoutouts at some point today. But I just want to say thanks again to the Kishes for being so awesome and holding such incredible events.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Easily the most fun tourney I've ever been to. Thanks for hosting, Kishes.

I'll post shoutouts later.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Could one of the Kishes or whoever did seeding please explain to me how Mango managed to be the 6th seed in bracket? Seems kinda ridiculous.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
We are pretty convinced that Mango was only the 6th best player there and thus got extremely lucky when he plowed the Top 8 pool.

Either that, or that program just doesn't display seeding correctly. Take your pick.

I still don't feel like typing up the competitive rationale for what we did. Horribly sick today. :( When I feel a bit better, I'll start typing up my real thoughts about the tournament.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I had money in the original budget to rebuild a torpedo ball set.

Not enough people came. :(

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
We are pretty convinced that Mango was only the 6th best player there and thus got extremely lucky when he plowed the Top 8 pool.
Is this a joke? Mango is the best player in the country. Are you really that ignorant to think he would only be the 6th best player there? Him being 6th seed screwed up the bracket.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Is this a joke? Mango is the best player in the country. Are you really that ignorant to think he would only be the 6th best player there? Him being 6th seed screwed up the bracket.

Either that, or that program just doesn't display seeding correctly.
Take your pick.
...seriously guys?

Can't promise when full results will be live right now. Goal is by the end of the weekend, but it could be earlier.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
yea you know because it doesn't effect any results after first right??
Why are you guys complaining about it so much? If you had seen the way it unfolded, you'd understand. But instead, you're trying to question something that you have no right to argue. Get over yourselves, and accept the fact that the tourney was good, even though you weren't there.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Why are you guys complaining about it so much? If you had seen the way it unfolded, you'd understand. But instead, you're trying to question something that you have no right to argue. Get over yourselves, and accept the fact that the tourney was good, even though you weren't there.
This^
I thought it was going to be stupid, when when it was going on it was like OMFGBBQ awesome!

KishSquared

Smash Master
Froggy, Mango was a 1-seed entering the bracket. He has a 6 by his name because there were 8 1-seeds, so he was #6 of 8. Basic math wins!

I'm having such a hard time writing this without intense sarcasm, which is incredibly deserved when phrasing questions in the form of an accusation. But here's a quick, go-to answer for future accusational questions: We know what we're doing, and we're right. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom