• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
not more ikes!!!!!!! DX DX DX... Also good job bored =D.. I find it strange that Dphat double 3 stocks Mr. Doom at phase but Brett takes him to game 3 at Hobo? 0.0

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just realized at HOBO yesterday I may not be able to come to WHOBO. Since it's during Spring Break, parents expect me back home, and they don't want me going to OoC tournies. Guess I'm gonna have to figure something out.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
the only hope is to either drag whobo to your hous,e drag your house to whobo, or make your parents become smashers and take them with you

best choice is to jsut not go sadly. but time with family is needed (kinda)

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
not more ikes!!!!!!! DX DX DX... Also good job bored =D.. I find it strange that Dphat double 3 stocks Mr. Doom at phase but Brett takes him to game 3 at Hobo? 0.0
Game 1 and 3 I destroyed him and on castle siege stage transformation ***** me twice. I basically got b-throw to dash attacked kill at 0 twice. Anyways Slaps if you want to MM I'll gladly do it buddy. If I don't 3 stock you in 1 game I'll pay you whatever we agree the MM for.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
My set with DPhat was probably the shortest set he's ever played.

Legit match game 1, he took it, I think with 1 stock?
GAY game 2, I made my stage ****, 2-stocked him with walk-offs.
GAY game 3, I got what I deserved on RC, tech 3-stock. (I promise I at least TRIED to avoid the Dtilts.)

I got Bored really close... but I kept my losing record in tourney against him. =\

I forgot in LT that it was my last LT event with Ike... so I goofed around vs Espy's Ganon in losers, lol. I wish Espy were someone I didn't really like, because I would have just ***** the Ganon and kept going. (Still unhappy with my seeding to fight Poltergust in R2 winners, but I'll live.)

At least I don't get Red-X last place.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
EFF U. :[
And lol at this:

Sent: October 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Message: Hey I'm an Ike mrney nd also a fan of yours. I'd like to play you so you can see my Ike first hand. I went to my first offline tourney a few days ago and beat the second best Ike in Texas.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
EFF U. :[
And lol at this:

Sent: October 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Message: Hey I'm an Ike mrney nd also a fan of yours. I'd like to play you so you can see my Ike first hand. I went to my first offline tourney a few days ago and beat the second best Ike in Texas.
Another person added to the fan club. Though I would say Brett and Slaps are pretty much tied for the 2 spot.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288586

Lo and behold, I got destroyed at DSO. I sat around playing Touhou instead of warming up before doubles because I thought I'd get a chance to do so before singles started. Having only three setups made that kinda difficult, so I only got one friendly set in before singles ._.

First round was against Chibo and my worst personal matchup: ROB. I got all nervous for some reason and pretty much blew the first match. I hate that stupid Ftilt. Through some whimsical sense of dysfunctional thinking, I switched to Falco and CP'd FD (ban was Brinstar). Got a kind of rhythm going the first stock, but a good ol' SD destroyed that (was like 3 pixels below the ledge and Falco didn't grab it during his Side-B). The rest of that match did not go well.

Second round was against Skoraan, a Marth player. First match went to Castle Siege. I wasn't nervous anymore and was playing to some degree of consistency...until the cave part somehow gimped my Aether. I shook it off despite still being dissatisfied with my overall play and CP'd Frigate while switching to Kirby (wasn't exactly sure on how to position myself with Ike on the counterpick end...). Won that match, but it was pretty close. Skoraan CPs BF and I switch back to Ike, figuring that would be a better match than my Kirby. I honestly don't even remember that much of the match, other than noticing that Skoraan doesn't Up-B OoS/out of my jab as much as other Marths do, especially on that stage. But regardless, I ended up losing it in another close match.

I was pretty miffed at myself, so I just sat around, going between watching some matches and playing Touhou. I ended up playing a couple of other people while the tournament was drawing to a close. Then I $1 MM'd Izumi in which I pretty much played my best of the day (lost to his MK game 3, but Ike vs Toon Link was a lot closer). I also played a quick match as Toon Link against Inui's Ike just to get a sample of that. Still played tons better there than I did in any of my matches ._. *sigh*

So yeah, tl;dr: Johns, I somehow played better in a MM and random matches than in tourney, more johns. Also, I believe the only match with me in it that Chibo's putting up is against his ROB, so I might direct some critiques to that vid....though I wasn't exactly emulating the play I normally would.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Do you live in Philly? Or close to it? I go to Philly to play brawl soo maybe we'll run into each other.. one day. (So far i just go to smashfests >_>)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Brett, liking or not liking me shouldn't have stopped you from ****** me. :(

I mean, I love Yosh, and he ***** the hell out of my Ganondorf on Smashville with Yoshi (95-5 matchup btw), and I didn't give a **** at all. I still had oodles of fun. Same would've applied to our matches.

Hell, I CP'd Bored to Rainbow Cruise, just to see what would happen. Completely furgot that he could chaingrab me. I just laughed.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
For now i don't really go to small scale tourneys cause of not having a job :x i mooch off my parents..

Also, right now I got one hell of a semester... so right now my focus is on organic chemistry 2 ._.;

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First tournies are always the toughest to get through...nevertheless, hope you go to more and get that level of confidence up.

Anyways, so I was thinking about every character's get up attack. Normally, I like to rush in, shield the get up attack and then jab. However, I was thinking if a possible bait could lead to a ranged attack of ours (possibly F-smash or f-tilt) hitting them after the get up attack animation.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Fsmash would have to be like a super hard read.. Also depends on if its fast get up attack or slow one.. still, the time it takes to get an Fsmash out makes it highly unlikely you can bait a getup attack and then Fsmash.. Ftilt looks like it could work because of the range and it doesn't take that long to get out... idk do some tests =D haha

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, so I was thinking about every character's get up attack. Normally, I like to rush in, shield the get up attack and then jab. However, I was thinking if a possible bait could lead to a ranged attack of ours (possibly F-smash or f-tilt) hitting them after the get up attack animation.
Yes, it can. I remember you doing this to me during the Biweekly.

Get up attack sucks. I need to stop using it even though it's funny when it works.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Wait... TOSM didn't beat me... I definitely beat him. Or maybe he thinks Sigma is the second best... and he... isn't.
/confusedface

Espy... if I had remembered it was my last LT event with Ike, I would have played every game like it was game 2. ._. apologies.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Wait... TOSM didn't beat me... I definitely beat him. Or maybe he thinks Sigma is the second best... and he... isn't.
/confusedface
Sounds like he may be just falsely boasting on the assumption that RedX isn't in communication with you other Texas Ikes. Or he does think Sigma is the second best... in which case he thinks he's... the best?

i punish get up attacks with dair
Quoted for Dair into ground. :mad:

:034:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
First tournies are always the toughest to get through...nevertheless, hope you go to more and get that level of confidence up.
I agree. Especially when it's your first, most likely you won't even know how to enjoy a tourney unless you've talked to someone about it before or know at least a few people there already.

Not too sure about this. Since you are talking about fsmash and ftilt, they can at most be used to punish rolls into you, a regular getup, or a getup attack, and even then fsmash and maybe ftilt might be a little too slow.

Best case I can think of is if a person falls near the edge of the stage, where rolling away won't help them. And even then, I find reverse upsmash to be the best option, because it has the easiest release and you can do it out of the running animation where they think you'll shield or dash attack.

Best setups for this are above 85%-100% bthrows from around the center of the stage, mid-high % fthrows from the midpoint of the stage middle and edge, and low % FULL jab combo from, where if the opponent doesn't tech/air dodge, can give you a free reverse upsmash if they land near the edge. Dash attack is also a really good mixup after full jab combo low %.

Fsmash/ftilt would also be decent options to the setups listed above (especially where upsmash won't kill, like 70-80), but you'll have less time to setup, and more room for error. Luckily, mistiming it, you can hope they just shield so you knock them offstage to the ledge for some edgeguarding.

And @Nysyarc
Dair into ground is like a virus. I did it just once because you can potentially dair large characters through platforms, and it gives decent shield pressure and anti-tilts if they try to hit you when you land. But now that I did it once, when I'm in a similar situation (especially against a tall character), I have to resist the dair urge, and it sucks because it's a bad option.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Am I the only Ike who doesn't Dair into the ground? .-.
Is QD a bad option to punish get-up actions? I thought it would be decent since you just charge and release on reaction.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, this is how I look at it San. Generally, when an opponent falls, trips, etc, and I start approaching them, if I get too close, they will attack. So granted, I doubt f-tilt won't work unless it was a hard read. But assuming the opponent is around 100+ damage, would up-tilt work if you shield the get up attack?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Is QD a bad option to punish get-up actions? I thought it would be decent since you just charge and release on reaction.
1) I don't

2) QD is probably alright at long distances, as long as they don't instantly back roll and get out of range, leaving you in potential trouble.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dair into ground is like a virus.
Definitely the best way I've seen it described yet. It's an impulsive reaction that a lot of players (sometimes myself included) will use because they're in the heat of the moment and see it as the fastest way to hit their opponent. If it works, they will likely try it again thinking it's a good option. If it doesn't work... well they'll use it impulsively again sooner or later, lol.

I try not to, obviously; in fact I'm pretty sure I've been Dair-into-ground free for over a month now, and I feel great! Making it sound like getting over alcoholism.

1) I don't
:bigthumbu

:034:

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
I officially hate SDTV's
Practice to much on an HD and trying to make a switch for one mere offline and everything feels like foreign territory. Tilts turned into smashes, the usual quick recoveries became non-existent. I felt like I was back in 2008 where I had little to no competitive knowledge what so ever

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Um...why don't you hate HD for giving you that habit? It's not a natural flow if you're playing on HD as opposed to a CRT or SDTV.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Um...why don't you hate HD for giving you that habit? It's not a natural flow if you're playing on HD as opposed to a CRT or SDTV.
Prolly due to I have been playing brawl on an HDTV ever since it came out, along with the last two offlines (STEP & STEP2) that were on HD. So everything pretty much has been wired (muscle memory/image reaction/etc) toward HD.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
dair has really good follow ups which is why I ever go for it :x

Dair > uair(catch them landing onto the platform)/usmash is so good

isn't nair a better option when falling down on someone. Qd is ok for chasing a missed tech but just remember all they have to do is spot dodge or shield and they get to punish with just about any move they can think of.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
just curious... which would kill first on someone who is grounded.. sweet spot dair or sour spot dair? (i might be using those terms wrongly but whatever you probably understand what i mean XD)

Edit: Lol i was just testing this on training with a metaknight on FD.. sour spot Dair killed at 108 and sweet spot Dair killed at 109 XD... lol

Top Bottom