• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I like lurking your chat, because it means I'm prepared for any new tricksies Nysyarc might bring. xD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Brett, when was the last time you went to a tourny? Quakecon? You're losing status points. Slaps and his bad odor totally have you down for the count.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
How did you go from Viet to Taiwanese/Korean? lol
When I said you were getting close, I was talking about it location-wise. My last name is spelled awkwardly from other Asian names but pronunciation is not so different.
I love it when people guess my ethnicity. ;D

The only time I ever think about using a grounded Aether is against a Fox who likes to shine stall. (Got the idea from Ryko, works pretty good most of the time.)
And I never thought about using the secondary jump button for shield->jump cancel. ;o

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Is it fast enough to use, Ussi? When thinking about it, it seems like it's too slow before MK can do something else. But if Mk jumps and dairs and we miss the aether, it doesn't feel like we'll be punished all too hard.

It has the most uses overall vs DDD I notice. His Bairs on shield don't seem like a problem anymore, although good DDDs try to mask when they use Bair, knowing OoS against it at least gives us a few more options.

Secondary jump cancel (for me it's L) is easy with aether, but hard to do it on reaction. You have to usually plan ahead where there's a possibility of using that move.

•Col•

Smash Champion
You know, thinking about it, you could actually probably use Aether OoS safely on practically any character on certain stages/areas. I'm talking about those slopes that make you slide reaaaaally far afterward, like the ones on Brinstar, Ground-arena on PS2, the stairs on Delfino, Fire-arena on PS1, the bow of the ship on Rainbow Cruise, and other slopes like those.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You know, thinking about it, you could actually probably use Aether OoS safely on practically any character on certain stages/areas. I'm talking about those slopes that make you slide reaaaaally far afterward, like the ones on Brinstar, Ground-arena on PS2, the stairs on Delfino, Fire-arena on PS1, the bow of the ship on Rainbow Cruise, and other slopes like those.
I brought that up and listed all the stages it can be done on in my moveset section of the community guide. I don't think I specifically mentioned OoS Aether, but I noted that if you want to attack an airborne opponent with Aether on-stage it's best to do it with a slope beneath you.

:034:

•Col•

Smash Champion
I brought that up and listed all the stages it can be done on in my moveset section of the community guide. I don't think I specifically mentioned OoS Aether, but I noted that if you want to attack an airborne opponent with Aether on-stage it's best to do it with a slope beneath you.

I would hope that anyone who mains Ike since Brawl's release would've realized that by now. :freak:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@san

MK doesn't have the aerial speed to get away from aether. Some MK's dair camp from so high which is when i started doing it. Anyways, Dair lasts for like 20ish frames and the hitbox comes out at 4, so they have like 3 frames to AD before aether comes out so i wouldn't say its reliable. Its just something that actually makes MK stop dair camping cause if they spotdodge you can punish that much harder.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I would hope that anyone who mains Ike since Brawl's release would've realized that by now. :freak:
Which... is... why you pointed it out to us as if we... wouldn't have known?

Colaya said:
You know, thinking about it, you could actually probably use Aether OoS safely on practically any character on certain stages/areas. I'm talking about those slopes that make you slide reaaaaally far afterward
You had to think about it just now? Lol.

Besides, that guide is intended for new players so obviously I'm going to be covering the basics in it. I was just pointing out that I had already posted it here in the boards recently, not that I had just discovered it recently.

I think Aether OoS could definitely be useful in some situations... keyword 'some'. I really don't think that it's as dangerous or punishable as we think it is as long as it is used intelligently and not over-used to the point of being stupidly predictable.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Which... is... why you pointed it out to us as if we... wouldn't have known?

You had to think about it just now? Lol.
Places to use this:
1. At the Edge of platforms. You can choose to land on the platform or on the ground.

2. When you or your opponent are at the edge of the stage. Gives an opportunity to aether to the ledge

3. Whenever most marths tend to use their Up B: 'Nuff said.
He didn't mention it at all.

Also, people were talking about how Aether OoS would be extremely unsafe against some characters. Was pointing out that if you used it on a slope, you could probably use is against pretty much any character, since no one else seemed to think of it.

Aether OoS could be a lot more useful on a stage like Brinstar, where there are slopes for the entire match, unlike every other stage with slopes that let you slide far.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oh, I almost forgot. Nysyarc, I remember you trying to do some things with upsmash OoS before (or at least, I noticed a few times when we played far back). Any progress made with that?

And I forgot about slopes because of how few stages have reliable slopes, and ones you actually want to use aether on. I could only think of maybe Yoshi's, Brinstar (maybe), the pokemon stadiums, delfino and that's pretty much it. Lylat maybe, but it doesn't really slant enough.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Locationwise... okay, Red must be Cambodian or Laos...ian. Other than that, I have no idea what's in that part of Asia.

BTW, I'll vouch for Ussi with the countering air camping MK with Aether.

Aaaand, I've just decided I need to try OoS Aether before I make a real judgment on it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Just be careful when you're doing this that it's not a stage with a blast-off glitch. That's one way to shoot yourself in the foot rather quickly.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, try not to QD into DDD's inhale, too.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
will the same out come with D3s inhale happen with kirbys? Also most characters if hit with the launch of Aether I believe can airdodge before they reach the top of it and get out of it easily..

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
MK's up air you can SDI out. So? If it works, it works. If you read my post, I said people are less likely to DI correctly when punishing an aerial.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I saw that match awhile back.
And I just realized the Ike literally jabbed MK to 120%, then landed a Fair for KO. Dabess.

•Col•

Smash Champion
wait what san? i wasnt talkin about punishin no aerials... i was talking about launch of base of aether...
Uh, he said at the beginning it wouldn't be very useful every character... Its better for fat ones like DDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHUeyKqU98

Check the beginning of this vid guys hahaha
For the first minute of that video, all I could think was "Wow this MK is so bad"... Then after that I was like "Ok, that's better, lol".

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh, I almost forgot. Nysyarc, I remember you trying to do some things with upsmash OoS before (or at least, I noticed a few times when we played far back). Any progress made with that?
Well, I've found it's great if done as an OoS option against specific moves if you can read what your opponent likes to do afterwards. For example I won a tourney set against a local Fox main because he liked to Ftilt when he thought I would spot-dodge, but if he hit my shield he would spot-dodge immediately pretty much without fail. So I got the KO last stock last match by baiting that Ftilt on my shield and then immediately turning around so the lingering hitbox on the back end of Usmash caught him after his spot-dodge.

Other than hard reads for KOs... there aren't really too many uses for it OoS that Jab or Bair can't cover. If you slide an Usmash backwards after shielding an aerial approach to your front it can be a nice mix-up to just shield grab/Jab OoS, but only if they can't immediately follow-up the aerial (like DK Bair, Marth Fair, etc...) and only if they continue to move towards you rather than retreat it. Even if they retreat, you still could surprise them with Usmash's IASA frames by turning and Jabbing, as long as you did it facing away from them.

Usmash OoS? I think if done after a shielded MK upB, it hits MK during gliding. I've got it to work a few times iirc.
This is the other thing I tried, and yes it definitely works but you have to either see the upB coming to hit with the front end of Usmash, or if done on reaction you can slide backwards and catch MK with the back end. I usually do the latter anyways so I have some extra time to charge it, and the hitbox on the back end is larger.

LOL guys, i talked to Ryo tonight on AiB and he probably will make Whobo 3 XD lmao too good haha
Biggest Ike main picture ever. I'm telling you.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Biggest Ike main picture ever. I'm telling you.
get me to america...NOW!
TT_TT

oos aether, i have never even thought of that XD.
when i get home ill check out other ways of doing it, theres a possibility that b-sticking oos allows for new setups, i believe that if you b-stick backwards you jump and turnaround all within the jumping animatyion, so you could possibly do oos bair that way.
but since when are we ever going to use bstick lol

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I had a dream that was totally unrelated to Brawl and SWF in every way, but that I can't fully remember.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I had a dream that I was in a really big fancy hotel and a zombie-virus epidemic started to break out.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I had a dream.... a dream where Ikes and Marths come together in peace and harmony and make WHOBO 3 super ballers.

Seriously, Texas has like 4 or 5 Marth mains lol.

FIRE EMBLEM GROUP PIC.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I had a dream.... a dream where Ikes and Marths come together in peace and harmony and make WHOBO 3 super ballers.

Seriously, Texas has like 4 or 5 Marth mains lol.

FIRE EMBLEM GROUP PIC.
GTFO, Marth main.

10gtfos.

Seriously though, take this [Flame Shield], because Ike main photo is like a sacred tradition at major Brawl events in Texas. Even without the proposition of the Fire Emblem group pic, your post is in grave danger for the statement of Ikes and Marths coming together in peace and harmony, lol.

•Col•

Smash Champion
My college makes Spring Break a week earlier than every other university. :/ No way I can go to WHOBO3.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
^that is the results thread with the link to twitter. if you guys want me to, i can make special tweets so that you guys know how good or bad BORED is doing in regular singles/teams and low tier.
That would be cool, I'll probably be following that, for regulars anyways (no Ike in LT anymore :urg:); is there gonna be a livestream too or just the Twitter feed?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Funplex(the venue) has very bad internet so no live stream, just twitter. Since i announced hobo 28 BEFORE the tier list changed, i am allowing ike the LAST time in LT. Mainly just for Bored. So id pay attention to LT updates too cause bored SHOULD be top 3 in that.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dang, nice, sucks that Bored is the only Ike main who can attend then; although yah, he should do well. In that case make LT updates the priority plox, lol.

Top Bottom