• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

•Col•

Smash Champion
In the words of Homer Simpson: Brawl- is the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems. Particularly, the problem of getting bored with Brawl but still feeling inclined to play something similar.

:034:
Difference being, Brawl- is never going to be as popular. I'd have no one to play with.

I live in PITTSBURGH. I'm not sure where many Brawl- tournaments are held, but I'm just going to assume and say that most of the Brawl- tournaments take place at large/national/international tournaments as a "small-side tourney thing". I'm not driving 5-6 hours for that.

EDIT:
Colaya, I think that "more and more people" is just you, lol.
Uh... No? o_O If you think about it, its much more likely for someone to drift away from Brawl than drift toward it. Have you ever heard someone actually say something along the lines of "Oh hey guys, so you know how I used to hate Brawl? Well I went back and played it a bit, and its actually not that bad."? Maybe it just doesn't seem like it too much because there are actually still more people just starting to get into the Tournament scene...

I know I've talked with a number of people who have been playing Brawl since its release, and they've been getting bored with it as well, or whatever. :/

Also, I do actually have a lot of fun in Doubles. Don't usually do too well in it though, since my partner and I never get to practice as a team together. He's pretty srs about singles so even when we get to the tournament, we usually don't get to practice any teams then either, since he wants to make sure he's "warmed up" for Singles and whatnot.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Difference being, Brawl- is never going to be as popular. I'd have no one to play with.

I live in PITTSBURGH. I'm not sure where many Brawl- tournaments are held, but I'm just going to assume and say that most of the Brawl- tournaments take place at large/national/international tournaments as a "small-side tourney thing". I'm not driving 5-6 hours for that.
You don't need to go to a tournament to enjoy Brawl- >_>

A lot of the smashers in my local scene will sometimes just get together at someone's house for a Brawl- smashfest if we're bored one day. You don't need to look at it as a social event, just get together with friends and play the game. Unless you aren't friends with the local smashers in your area or they're all business and don't even play Brawl- recreationally.

•Col•

Smash Champion
You don't need to go to a tournament to enjoy Brawl- >_>

A lot of the smashers in my local scene will sometimes just get together at someone's house for a Brawl- smashfest if we're bored one day. You don't need to look at it as a social event, just get together with friends and play the game. Unless you aren't friends with the local smashers in your area or they're all business and don't even play Brawl- recreationally.

.... Didn't you hear me? I live in Pittsburgh, PA.... The Melee scene is actually stronger there. There are only like 3 Brawlers besides me there, only ONE of which travels to go to tournaments. And he doesn't really like playing Brawl+/Brawl-/with custom characters and whatnot because it makes him rusty or whatever. He might play it if I really wanted him to, but still...

There's a small smash group here at my college, like 5-6 players.... But it seems like they only play once every couple months. :/ And playing with them wouldn't be any fun.... >_< I'm leagues better than them, and that's saying something. One of them was claiming that apparently Pit was banned at tournaments since Brawl was released. I JV FIVE-STOCKED one of them. Yes, you read that right. They play 4-stocks, FD only.

So yeah.... If I switched to Brawl-, I would really have no one to play with..... Or wifi. I'd rather just quit rather than do that, though.

EDIT: Also, I should clarify. I don't want a HUGE change like Brawl-. I just want something that will just... refresh it for me... Something like Custom Stages being used for tournaments, which is apparently already underway, and makes me a little excited.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
.... Didn't you hear me? I live in Pittsburgh, PA.... The Melee scene is actually stronger there. There are only like 3 Brawlers besides me there, only ONE of which travels to go to tournaments.
Well I wouldn't know because I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and if the scene there is really that small, obviously I wouldn't have heard about it. Not hearing anything about a scene somewhere doesn't mean that one doesn't exist though, so I couldn't assume.

Anyways, I was just making a suggestion, obviously it's up to you.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Why not just skip all the way to 2.0 ratio? Now watch as hard hitting characters go up some tiers. :p

1.1 might seem interesting. If anyone wants to try, next bi-weekly I'll play with 1.1 on.

What happened to Cristina?
I've been wondering about that too. I miss my fellow flip :( At least I still have RedX (I'm still assuming your filipino.)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
late...
1.1 knockback?
it would never happen because its a complete (albiet miniscule) change to game physics, although it is an interesting idea

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
90% chance of going. I just have to do my Physics Lab early on in the week.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Craysyn! We should go to WHOBO. D:
Actually, I'm already pretty much confirmed to be going, and I was gonna propose it to the group in the near future. Obviously a road trip is out of the question for Texas though, so booking a flight as early as possible is the best option.

The thing is though, my mom (yes, my mom) wants to go as well, because she wanted to get away from home for awhile sometime in February/March anyways, and when I mentioned that I wanted to go to WHOBO 3 she jumped at the opportunity. She won't be going to the Smash convention at all, except maybe at first to see me play a bit.

Taking a flight will make it more difficult cost-wise, and so we may not get as many local volunteers, but it'd be cool if we do.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
o-o; If i get all A's this semester my dad is willing to pay one full trip to w/e smash tourney i want in the US.... maybe whobo for me :D

x.x why did i take philosophy *sadface*

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Actually, I'm already pretty much confirmed to be going, and I was gonna propose it to the group in the near future. Obviously a road trip is out of the question for Texas though, so booking a flight as early as possible is the best option.

The thing is though, my mom (yes, my mom) wants to go as well, because she wanted to get away from home for awhile sometime in February/March anyways, and when I mentioned that I wanted to go to WHOBO 3 she jumped at the opportunity. She won't be going to the Smash convention at all, except maybe at first to see me play a bit.

Taking a flight will make it more difficult cost-wise, and so we may not get as many local volunteers, but it'd be cool if we do.

Sounds good, what did you have in mind for housing? I'm more than willing to split on costs if we can make this work.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
why can't Ike be low tier!?!?!??! DX There will be sooooooooooo many ikes at Whobo3 XD haha like 7 at least... Me, Brett, Bored, Nyke, Light, san(?), Ussi(?).... rediculous.. Red you coming? XD

Edit: and Mr. Doom XD

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
You're getting warmer.
My last name is actually unique from any Asian race. lol
You're not filipino? :( Pinoymk is the only other flip here but he rarely posts and when he does only to confirm for the bi-weekly.

Nah, Red doesn't look dark enough to be Filip. If I knew his real name, I might be able to make an educated guess (at least if he's Viet, Japanese, or Chinese).
This reminds me of a funny memory. My mom and two younger brothers have a lighter skin color than me (almost too white to be filipinos). My youngest brother thought there were only two kinds of skin color: black (which he said is me and my dad, not really me but my dad has much darker skin) or white (my mom and both brothers).

College application FTL. I need to finish that stuff now and register for some SAT IIs.

Also this may be my most fun weekend of the month. Going to NYAF. :D

•Col•

Smash Champion
Colaya, next time we meet, we need to get some Brawl- in. I love that game to death.
Honestly I've never even tried it before. I like the idea behind it though, so yeah, sounds fun. :)

I dunno when I'll be able to visit Penn State again though. I literally only have $15 in my wallet; not even enough for a bus ticket. x_X

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
First Mr. Doom has a Kingdra for his avatar and now he has a Jaroda.

Can this guy's taste in Pokemon get any better? (Answer: No.)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
San! Apply to the BBR already! :mad088:
I will this weekend. It's been a hellish month.

Anyways, I've thought of messing with aether OoS (yeah, you heard me), and it's actually pretty decent! It's not that flexible in use, but it fills in a few niches in Ike's frontal OoS game that I felt lacking before, unless there's a way to turnaround and bair OoS without getting those drop-sheild lag frames. In front of us, I've mostly relied on OoS jab, or let the shield drop, turnaround, and bair.

If you have tap jump off, you need to press jump + aether at the same time. I have a secondary jump of L, so it was pretty easy for me to do.

Even though aether can be DI-ed, it's more likely to get most hits in OoS, when players are focused more on spacing attacks.

Niches Aether fills:

1. A surprising number of aerials OoS.

I was even able to get MK and Marth's fair. The range in front of us for aether is pretty large, so it's possible to get a hit in on retreating aerials. In this position, it's harder to DI and punish, especially on stages with platforms (every stage minus FD).

2. Ending lag of various tilts (and smashes of course, although *most* jabs work)

Ever have a character hit you with a tilt or smash or whatever, and it pushes your shield too far to retaliate with jab? OoS aether here actually works with manageable leeway most of the time. In this situation, it's easier for the opponent to DI, though, because they're prepared to get punished.

Most useful situations to possibly use this:

1. Aerial Walls where jab OoS or our aerials are troublesome to get in (ex. DK, Marth, DDD, Wolf, MK grounded shuttle loop(?))
Even if the attack doesn't hit our shield, if we predict them to use an aerial above us, we can use Aether to intercept them anyways.

2. Characters who space with tilts that our jabs can't punish all the time (ex. ROB, G&W, end of MK and Snakes Ftilt, Marth, maybe DK)

3. Easy kill move punish on lots of characters where jab won't reach out of shield.

4. When opponents are on the edge of a platform. We don't have enough time to get them with our good platform pressure, and it's very possible for them to get an aerial in or something. Aether also gives the opportunity for an aether drag.

5. Punish opponent trying to hit you with an aerial from the ledge.

Places to use this:
1. At the Edge of platforms. You can choose to land on the platform or on the ground.

2. When you or your opponent are at the edge of the stage. Gives an opportunity to aether to the ledge

3. Whenever most marths tend to use their Up B: 'Nuff said.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Hm...

I'd be worried about the punishment end of things. If they see this coming and don't get hit, we are going to get smash'd.

More later, eating now, but it's an interesting idea.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you use platforms properly, most that'll happen is an aerial. If you mess up really bad, you could eat a tilt or maybe a smash, but if you're using Aether OoS, that means it was against a character it's useful against. Who expects aether nowadays, lol? Uses are few, but in the right moments may help a lot in a set at a tourney.

First Mr. Doom has a Kingdra for his avatar and now he has a Jaroda.

Can this guy's taste in Pokemon get any better? (Answer: No.)

This guy's whole body is MAN BEARD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
My beard is better than that pokemon's beard.

I think Aether OoS would work against fatties. Less likely they will DI out of it. MK can just spam Uair and land one during that brief time where there is no hitbox. ;_;

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
MK it's probably easy to get out. When I get hit by aether (using multiple characters), it's pretty hard for me.. So I was thinking it's not logical to think that a human will always be able to get out.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, just how many characters do you think could have their aerial approaches shut down or at least damaged by OoS Aether?

And while you are at it: any way OoS Counter is usable? It should be slightly faster than OoS Aether, though without the benefit of SAFs. You cancel your jump's momentum with Counter and all of that...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
But Counter still requires you to predict the opponent's attack. Aether is an attack, so it's you taking initiative and having them make the read. If they don't attack initially when you counter, you're effed.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I messed around with OoS counter the same time as aether, but it was difficult not to spot dodge. It could be useful against marth, DK, and Wolf, and that's it.. I do agree that it's pretty fast, but it didn't seem that useful to me when I tried it, maybe it'll be different for someone else. Aether and it's Super Amor frames probably covers for the amount of time counter is active, too, most likely.

OoS aether worked pretty easily on DDD's bair. Other characters will probably be situation based, or if you block a kill move. OoS aether without tap jump is hard to do on reaction. But if you can identify the character, you will know which situations to use aether properly. Bad thing is it's aether, so it takes many uses to get familiar with the proper way to use it as an attack.

I'm not saying OoS aether is really good, I'm just saying that it has a niche on OoS attacks with us facing forward where our best OoS move, jab, won't work very well (or at least without a powershield or lucky sliding shield).

You can also sliding shield OoS aether against strong smashes like DK fsmash and still be able to punish some of the time (depending on the charge, and how close you were when you shielded)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Red--- Taiwanese? Korean?
(I do NOT know any typical Taiwanese names, so I can't apply your statement about having a non-typical name for your race.)

Bored--- I hated Ruddy's mom.

San--- I'm interested in this OoS Aether... but not against MK.

Also, regarding counter... wouldn't it be easier to jump and counter on practically the same frame? Wouldn't have to drop shield +_ it would be easier not to spot dodge.

Top Bottom