• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bout to leave in a bit. I think Brett is also coming too? And what's with this nonsense about getting special treatment from Xyro lol.

And I had a dream where I told everyone of you to stfu...oh wait, I just did.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
And I had a dream where I told everyone of you to stfu...oh wait, I just did.
It has become a reality, you've done what I could not. That's borderline sig-worthy by the way, I lol'd.

And Brett's going too? Did not know but good luck to both of you guys, rep Ike hard in what will probably be the last LT event to include him.

:034:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
How safe is ike's first two hits of jab into a retreating fair block?

Or first hit of jab to a retreating bair?
Short answer: Very safe.

Longer answer: Ike's jab 1 gives up to +16 frame advantage while jab 2 gives +6. What this means is that, by the time you finish jab 2 and begin to jump backwards, only THEN will the opponent be able to move. Considering the nice spacing jab you aren't getting punished for the Fair. And as for jab 1 to turnaround bair, you don't even need to retreat it. It is a true combo if you're fast enough. If you're a bit slow on the input and the PS it then just retreat away and you'll be safe (it autocancels on SH).

Hope that helps.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
jab > bair isn't guarentted but is great for hitting people DIing up.

one thing to note Light is that jumping cuts the advantage to 7 frames and -1 respectively

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Personally I think Jab -> Utilt is much more legit than Jab -> Bair on floaties/players who DI up. But Jab -> Bair is better as a set-up to get them off-stage obviously.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll probably need to do quite a bit of work to get jab->bair working, if it's that useful. I never did a successful jab->bair in tournament IIRC (well, I rarely try to do it). Can anyone attest to its usefulness in matches?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'll probably need to do quite a bit of work to get jab->bair working, if it's that useful. I never did a successful jab->bair in tournament IIRC (well, I rarely try to do it). Can anyone attest to its usefulness in matches?
My technical skill is waaay too low to ever manage a jab -> pivot bair within a 1/4 of a second but I can attest that, on platforms, jab to pivot drop bair (8 frames versus 15) is very useful. It usually catches them off guard too so with bad DI you might see kills as early as 95% on the lighter characters.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
My technical skill is waaay too low to ever manage a jab -> pivot bair within a 1/4 of a second but I can attest that, on platforms, jab to pivot drop bair (8 frames versus 15) is very useful. It usually catches them off guard too so with bad DI you might see kills as early as 95% on the lighter characters.
If you're on a platform and they're DIing up though, I find that's the perfect time to catch them with an Utilt after a Jab. If it catches them off guard they'll have been holding/tapping up, so they'll auto-fail DI and get KOd super early. I've only attempted Jab -> Bair three times in tourney, and landed it successfully twice. All three times I was Jabbing them near the ledge but not close enough to the ledge for Jab -> Dtilt. Neither hit went for a KO but I mostly did it to get them further off-stage than Jab3 would have done.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, jab->platform bair is pretty **** lol. I can get it down maybe 95% in training mode, but in an actual match, I always mess up due to pressing my inputs too fast =(

I might try to use my secondary jump to try to do jab->bair on the ground, though, and see how it works out.

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
Now I was trying to learn jab 1 to b-air, too! ^-^ It is most effective on large, tall characters like DK (he's my sandbag for training mode). I managed to pull out jab 1 to b-air on medium and small characters too, but I have use the elevation some stages present in order to do it correctly, like the first phase of Castle Siege, where your opponent stands at the higher ground. ^-^ I always let out a f-air after jab 1 whenever I mash the buttons to fast.

Looks like jab-canceling to b-air works too! ^-^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLG8k42mLA&feature=related

Looks like we can see Kimchi applying this at around 1:24 and Ryko at around 6:00 of the vid. So is this technique used often? It looks quite prominent in the 08 and 09 days. How much of Ike's metagame is shaped by this, if any at all? I always perceived it to be a forgotten maneuver waiting to be utilized again. ^-^

EDIT: I would also like to point this out, but would dash attack to be legit follow-up to the jab to b-air combo? I think it works on opponents in low percentage.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
If jab 1 give +16 frame advantage why doesn't it make jab 1 > ftilt, utilt, dsmash into a true combo into.
Not Ftilt but the other two, yeah.

Keep in mind it depends on weight and fall speed too. So J1->Dsmash might be a true combo on Fox but it'll whiff on Jigglypuff.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
So is this technique used often? It looks quite prominent in the 08 and 09 days. How much of Ike's metagame is shaped by this, if any at all? I always perceived it to be a forgotten maneuver waiting to be utilized again. ^-^

EDIT: I would also like to point this out, but would dash attack to be legit follow-up to the jab to b-air combo? I think it works on opponents in low percentage.
Jab to bair itself isn't a true combo (at least without dropping through a platform, not sure about that case). I wouldn't say it is used that often, since it can be avoided rather easily... so it's not really metagame shaping.

Not Ftilt but the other two, yeah.
But ftilt is 17 frames. One cannot buffer out of hit stun and it takes 1 frame to get your shield up and if they are in the air more to air dodge. Math shows the if they are on the ground the fastest they can get their shield up is frame 18 snd that would allow for ftilt to hit. Someone please explain why this doesn't work and why im wrong if it doesn't.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Jab to bair is like 1-2 frames short of being a true combo. It's basically under the same issues that jab to up tilt and jab to down smash are as far as viability goes (despite being 1 frame slower). The practical application of this is up to you and is dependent on the height and reactions of you opponent. With the right timing (14 frames) it can hit even the shortest of characters though. It doesn't shape meta at all because ike's BnBs are what his meta are, if you wanna try to be fancy though by all means feel free to practice in training mode and friendlies. Funny thing is I cant turn around jab anymore but I can do that because I just spent so much time practicing itwhen I first came up with the idea that it's become a matter of muscle memory.

Edit: Ryko on Rj's laptop. Wow I made a post without yelling at someone.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I have returned from NYAF/NYCC. Finally bought the rest of Scott Pilgrim and watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya but didn't get to finish the last 45 minutes or so. I'll just read it to see the ending. Also my favorite manga, The World God Only Knows, was finally turned into an anime and I saw the first episode subbed. Looks promising. Can't wait for tomorrow.

How many frames does it take for ike to get off the ground???? If the 16+ frames of stun is correct and it takes 1 frame to turn around > and takes 8 or less frames to jump > and a 7 frame bair it should be a true combo. This is assuming that everything is buffered.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
stun jacket is when you counter but don't hit with the counter, the next attack you hit with will put the person in more frames of hitlag/stun

•Col•

Smash Champion
Does this happen for all wind-boxes? Ike's Up+B can activate Stun Jacket as well.
Yeah, I remember when it first came discovered, it was said it could be used against wind/water(F.L.U.D.D., Water Gun) hitboxes.

If "someone" has that thing that the testers use to figure out frame data and they are really good at it, they could find out if it is possible. If only KIRK still with us and name searching.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Bah. I played against Atomsk and didn't do so well. I got the matches recorded, so I'll have them uploaded later on.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Why does San always recover with upb Reversed? When grabbing the ledge.
because if they sheild the aether, it drags them off stage (a.k.a: the sheild push from aether is in whatever direction you are facing, so by reversing it he has a potential aetherspike from a shieldpush)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So here's how it went down. Just got back (left Houston at 5 am .-. ).

Reg Singles: I got 17th. Brett 25th. I eliminated Brett in losers. I lost to Disciple (Lucario from Minnesota) and Illmatic. 64 total entrants I believe.

Doubles: I got 9/20 with Poltergust as my teammate. Lost to Zac and Razer in winners, then Ozz and his partner (double MK).

LT Singles: Brett got 9th, and I got third. Lost to Poltergust in Winner's finals, then Xyro in loser's.

All in all, fun tourny. Smashfest before the tourny was great too. Sync housed like 25 people, so it was a total sausage fest. Luckily I got a good spot for sleep...but only slept like 4-5 hours. And after HOBO, only slept for 3 hours before heading back. So yea, gonna go sleep now lol. Tourny was ran efficiently for the most part. For some reason, people kept losing their stuff (Dphat lost his controller, a few Ipods were lost, some guy lost his cane). People were sleeping everyone on the venue. It ran from 1pm to 12 am. By the time I got around to playing Xyro, it was like 11:30 .-.

I wanna play Xyro again when we're both fresh and awake, I'll definitely give him a better match. Xyro was on the ball. He wrecked Poltergust in Grand Finals so hard. Both Samus and Yoshi mains say it's a 55-45 match up in favor of Samus, but Xyro made it look worse.

Personal Thoughts: I choked for the first time in ages when I was playing Disciple. I don't know what happened. SD'ed twice in game 2 =/. After that match, I was fine...but meh. Also, I feel like I'm caring less and less about the game considering I can't take half the things that go on during a match seriously anymore. I'm guessing I'm losing my competitive edge.

Side Note: Mr. Doom, Dphat was trash talking you. Also, Dphat still thinks he can 3 stock you San. I vouched for you lol.

Also, I met two fresh Ike mains at this HOBO. One goes by the tag TOMS and the other Sigma. TOMS is on AiB I believe, but I told both to come over to SWF and post some videos for us to critique. Friendly people.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Oh? Dphat? Who's that? I don't even remember who that person is. Oh well. I have considered going to the next Phase, so maybe I'll meet him there.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Reg Singles: I got 17th. Brett 25th. I eliminated Brett in losers. I lost to Disciple (Lucario from Minnesota) and Illmatic. 64 total entrants I believe.

Doubles: I got 9/20 with Poltergust as my teammate. Lost to Zac and Razer in winners, then Ozz and his partner (double MK).

LT Singles: Brett got 9th, and I got third. Lost to Poltergust in Winner's finals, then Xyro in loser's.
Congrats guys, especially on LTs. Sucks that you had to be the one to eliminate Brett in regs though.

Personal Thoughts: I choked for the first time in ages when I was playing Disciple. I don't know what happened. SD'ed twice in game 2 =/. After that match, I was fine...but meh. Also, I feel like I'm caring less and less about the game considering I can't take half the things that go on during a match seriously anymore. I'm guessing I'm losing my competitive edge.
Could have just been fatigue, @ that last bit.

Also, I met two fresh Ike mains at this HOBO. One goes by the tag TOMS and the other Sigma. TOMS is on AiB I believe, but I told both to come over to SWF and post some videos for us to critique. Friendly people.
Cool, hopefully we'll get to see them around the boards.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Oh? Dphat? Who's that? I don't even remember who that person is. Oh well. I have considered going to the next Phase, so maybe I'll meet him there.
then show him how wonderful terrible your SDI is

Also, I feel like I'm caring less and less about the game considering I can't take half the things that go on during a match seriously anymore. I'm guessing I'm losing my competitive edge.
i feel ya daw, i'll prolly hang up my gc controller soon as well

Mr. Doom(I got it right) where is that video where you went over how to SDI correctly? It was at a tourney like 2 or 3 weeks ago. The one where you faced off against Atmosk in doubles. Not sure if it is getting recorded to put on youtube but i think it's recorded on the Radium's channel I just don't know which video.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
It must have been the tournament from last week. I think I was doing a demo on SDI'ing DK's Up+B. It may be on Radium's channel. I'm not sure if it was recorded, though.

Top Bottom