• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

Stratford

Smash Champion
Forever. Anyone who says otherwise is a communist.

I've honestly never been bored of this game. I've never not wanted to play. And there's so many more tactics that people could potentially get beast at... powershielding, edgecanceling...

And a huge portion of the Melee elite today are like... really young. And there's more youngsters getting into it.

So long as there are still wiis/GameCubes, GameCube controllers, memory cards, melee disks, and players who love the game, Melee will live on.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
If we had the luxury of people who would remake melee like Street Fighter II has, then I wouldn't put an expiration date on it for a long time. I seriously got back into Melee recently after playing Brawl for almost 2 years, and I say this game may experience an increase in players for a while, though I don't know if the numbers will ever be this high again after that.

If SSB4 ends up more like Melee than Brawl, then I say that will mark the death of Melee and throw it into obscurity. If that happened I wouldn't care too much though because the spirit of Melee would live on in Smash 4.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I would only hope that they or we somehow remake smash. Taking the exact same code from melee and adding to it. taking nothing away.

since fox is le ****, he gets almost nothing. And dont nerf his upsmash. give other ppl moves that are good as well.

change single player and thats it.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
There will always be players that love the game. The only problem is the decreasing number of functional hardware required to play.

Lovage

Smash Hero
There will always be players that love the game. The only problem is the decreasing number of functional hardware required to play.
luckily melee was an extremely popular game on an extremely popular system so i don't see that happening for a looooooong time. i have heard that MvC2 suffered due to the rarity of disks and working dreamcast consoles.

Stev

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that turnouts for major tournaments are on the rise

I would only hope that they or we somehow remake smash. Taking the exact same code from melee and adding to it. taking nothing away.

since fox is le ****, he gets almost nothing. And dont nerf his upsmash. give other ppl moves that are good as well.

Ya, i think if they do a remake on nintendo's next console w/ updated graphics and buffing some characters, it'll do well. As long as they pretty much keep everything the same. But i have a feeling this won't happen...

a nub

Smash Ace
Personally, I can't see melee dying anytime soon. The only problem I could see is gcn controllers. Japan's still making them , but for how much longer? I hope they continue with it since they seem to be selling well and the gcn controller is just too good.

It'd be great if smash 4 was a true sequel to melee, thoughj I can't say I'm hopeful after brawl. But if somehow they ever made a melee hd remix in the future with input from pros like sf2 turbo hd remix...

ahh ****

I mean capcom was cool enough to help out the sf 2 turbo community like that and it seems to have sold well, without hurting sf 4. I'll be glad when nintendo's ****ty casual stuff dies since soccer moms aren't gonna upgrade to new systems like we would, then maybe they might care enough to make this a reality.

tl;dr - melee is too good to die lol

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
I think my December 2010 melee will be effectively dead, in 2011 I'll beat that a single tournament surpasses 100 players.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Until my weed runs out.
Lol, your username has been used as a term for me and a buncha friends for awhile now.

ex:

me: yo
friend: sup
me: S&S?!?!?!?!
friend: DOWN.

fun, intense games then happen shortly after :D

as an open game with a competitive and changing fan base, 1-2 years IMO.
Not disagreeing with you, but what about the fan base would change so drastically to make the community die out? Obviously the fan base decreasing in size would effect it, but I doubt that's what you meant.

ShootingStars

Smash Apprentice

its hard to do that when game developers dont know how the moves will be used in the metagame when they make new moves

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Its not hard to ask the appropriate ppl. It would be easy to ask the player of the game to keep it competitive. Thats what they do with naruto.

the changes I was thinking are like make certain smashes better or chance a few moves on some ppl.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I think my December 2010 melee will be effectively dead, in 2011 I'll beat that a single tournament surpasses 100 players.
lrn2english

it seems like you're saying
"your december 2010 melee will be dead" - you quit the game
"in 2011 you'll beat that a single tournament surpasses 100 players" - you win a tourney with 100+ players even though you quit

Are you high?

Zone

Smash Champion
We should all start entering the lottery, and when one of us wins like 15mil. Throw 1 mil into the smash community. 30,000 a year roughly is some nice pot money size to peek interests

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
^^ DNS, i'm gonna try to clear it up.

I think by December 2010 melee will be effectively dead, in 2011 I'll bet that a single tournament won't surpass 100 players.

**** man. Proof read your **** before you post. Good god.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
As long as we get new, young players, Melee will keep going on and on. And I doubt that SSB4 will come out within the next five-six years. Therefore, Melee has about half a decade, give or take a couple of years.

And I'm surprised no one mentioned the location as a factor yet. For instance, SoCal will probably be still alive after a decade, while some small towns, or even whole areas are already dead.

And hardware might be an issue, because new GC controllers are really hard to come by nowadays.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
What I really see as the future of melee.

Even if Gc become scarce in about 5 years or so, Wiis will still be around. Controllers were basically meant to be 4:1 to cubes. and I thought they were still making the white Wii GC controllers for wii.

Since cpus are getting alot better and ****, by the time NGC/Wiis run short the game could be emulated on a large scale. Also with a GC controller to usb port, as can be done now.

The iso could be modded, and the graphics are inherently better on the pc anyway. Thats pretty much makes melee 2.0. A portable better version and setups take up less room and take less time to get ready.

I also think that 5-10 years from now ppl will be able to burn disks that can be read on the GC/wii. Then a new melee can be made and ported as well if need be.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
This thread inspires me. I love Melee so much, I'll actually take on coding to recreate the game. Of course I would have to look into law crap, see if theres anyway that I could recreate the game without it being thievery. But I'm serious, I would actually take that up now to see what we could do. In fact, maybe I should start a topic about this. Most people who said it would die is because of non-functioning equipment. All I need is supporters, and people who know coding, and are willing to help me learn, so I can take part in this. People are already making their own controllers, in fact, people should try their best to find someone who can fix controllers rather than buy new ones to break.

We can even do our own, better textures. Maybe, I could preserve the best copy of Melee I can find along with the best working GC for us to work off of. I know it seems farfetch'd (+ 1 4 Pokeymans) But I am completely serious about this.

Melee will live on! We can't, we won't let a lack of equipment stop us! Whose with me?!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've had a similar idea, except i'd make a similar game with new characters/theme.

I'd like to balance the game better, too. One idea i've been toying with is giving every character a 1 frame move, but have them all be unique. For example, fox has his downb which pushes the opponent away and is canceled with a jump. A ranged character like marth might have a sideb thats 1 frame that sends them diagonally away and up at the tip and draws them closer to you if its not the tip. Could be canceled only by an A move or something.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
What sucks is I don't know a shread of coding outside of Texture stuff...

*snaps fingers* I actually know someone who's going to college to learn to make games!

strawhats

Smash Master
This thread inspires me. I love Melee so much, I'll actually take on coding to recreate the game. Of course I would have to look into law crap, see if theres anyway that I could recreate the game without it being thievery. But I'm serious, I would actually take that up now to see what we could do. In fact, maybe I should start a topic about this. Most people who said it would die is because of non-functioning equipment. All I need is supporters, and people who know coding, and are willing to help me learn, so I can take part in this. People are already making their own controllers, in fact, people should try their best to find someone who can fix controllers rather than buy new ones to break.

We can even do our own, better textures. Maybe, I could preserve the best copy of Melee I can find along with the best working GC for us to work off of. I know it seems farfetch'd (+ 1 4 Pokeymans) But I am completely serious about this.

Melee will live on! We can't, we won't let a lack of equipment stop us! Whose with me?!
New Textures, Make marth look like a black haired sephiroth (longer hair)

But seriously I love this idea.

Long Live Melee :)

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
lrn2english

it seems like you're saying
"your december 2010 melee will be dead" - you quit the game
"in 2011 you'll beat that a single tournament surpasses 100 players" - you win a tourney with 100+ players even though you quit

Are you high?
Yeah I was high actually(can I say that on the boards? If not then it was a joke mods)

I meant what I said though. Unless Melee gets the support of a major gaming organization(like Evolution) it will be dead by 2011.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Melee will last until all our gc's and wii's break until they put it on a futuristic VC where Bowser is the best character in the game and can z cancel his upb.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Actually, I think that it's starting to get a bit more recognition, again. There was some big tournament on SRK that's happening. they definitely had Melee on the list. They also had Brawl. (They are still unsure why, lol.)

Melee will probably be just like MvC2. Full of hype and not ready to die anytime soon.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Just read Sveet's edit. I was wondering, were you going to make the game more balanced, I guess that's my answer. I would like to do that as well with a remake.

Rappster

Smash Ace
melee wiill die in december 2012. cause we're all dead.

2000 years later our descendants discover this website and determine that ssbm was a polytheistic religion with high priests called smashers and 26 gods of varying power. it makes more sense then any of their religions, so millions convert, sparking a colossal search for artifacts and eventually culminating in the discovery of the last functional gc.

this holy relic becomes the template for a future of holy smashing.

unfortunately, its this one: http://www.istyles.com/images/gc-neop.jpg

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
AWWWWW! Aw man! That's crap!

If we actually do die in 2012 I wanna die while doing either a Wheel of Fortune, a Falcon Punch to Falcon Punch, or an edge-cancelled Rest to Rest.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
What I really see as the future of melee.

Even if Gc become scarce in about 5 years or so, Wiis will still be around. Controllers were basically meant to be 4:1 to cubes. and I thought they were still making the white Wii GC controllers for wii.

Since cpus are getting alot better and ****, by the time NGC/Wiis run short the game could be emulated on a large scale. Also with a GC controller to usb port, as can be done now.

The iso could be modded, and the graphics are inherently better on the pc anyway. Thats pretty much makes melee 2.0. A portable better version and setups take up less room and take less time to get ready.

I also think that 5-10 years from now ppl will be able to burn disks that can be read on the GC/wii. Then a new melee can be made and ported as well if need be.
we can do that now.. you just need to mod your wii/buy some hardware

Turazrok

Smash Master
Some brawl developer people are working on a melee 2.0 of sorts..

Top Bottom