• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I seriously cannot do the chain jacket, even when slowing it down to 1/2 speed I pull it off 1/15 times. I've even seen the tutorial, is there a video that shows the player's controller?

This is pretty frustrating considering that I picked up Sheik's DACUS after 10 minutes.

Judo777

Smash Master
I seriously cannot do the chain jacket, even when slowing it down to 1/2 speed I pull it off 1/15 times. I've even seen the tutorial, is there a video that shows the player's controller?

This is pretty frustrating considering that I picked up Sheik's DACUS after 10 minutes.
I think its harder in 1/4 speed. Just use what time of chain u use at an identifier. If its grounded chain ur too slow. If its sh chain ur too fast. You cant to do it between the height of grounded and sh

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna lie, I've hit hit jab -> up smash a few times, but you shouldn't really rely on it. Since its jabs, a lot of the better players will start to sdi away as soon as they see one come out, unfortunately meaning they might sdi out of a possible tipper/kill. so if you want to get a kill move out of jabs, a fresh nair might be your best bet.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
m2ks reflexes arent even that great, he just reads people so well you THINK its reflexes.
Eh? I remember back in the melee days somebody posted one of those reflex games and m2k had like half a second better score than almost everybody else.

Judo777

Smash Master
Eh? I remember back in the melee days somebody posted one of those reflex games and m2k had like half a second better score than almost everybody else.
doubt it because most people have better reflexes then half a second lol.

Maybe M2K..... gets negative time reflexes....... lol

-Cross-

Smash Ace
eh exaggeration on my part, but the whole point was that m2k was significantly faster than the other pro's on average and nobody was able to get a better score. Who knows, somebody should just throw a random punch at him while they are talking and see if he reacts :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ive seen him explain and admit personally on the boards multiple times that his reflexes are only average. and that people like ally and ADHD react much faster than him.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Ally is a powershielding beast according to Chip. I remember I had a conversation with him after Genesis that was like:

"He powershielded all of my projectiles"

"That bad?"

"No, you don't understand, he powershielded ALL of my projectiles. 100% of my arrows/boomerangs and like 80% of my bombs"

Orion*

Smash Researcher
just because someone powershields it doesnt mean that its good reaction time

it can mean he either has, the experience and forsight to immediately assume the proper reflexes
or he can also just be reading all of that

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ive seen him explain and admit personally on the boards multiple times that his reflexes are only average. and that people like ally and ADHD react much faster than him.
My reaction time is slower than his lol

namesearching ftw.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I search my name from time to time.

Usually they get ****talked/questioned/people know they name search so it "summons them" for their opinion/input on some matter or another.

It's actually a pretty useful practice. Ally name searches as well. [This is a summon Ally, you better post as to why you name search =P]

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah I use it to summon people constantly, I take notes on people who name search

infern

Nike.

Smash Hero
I couldn't find this in the catalog thread, so I thought it was okay to ask here.

How do needle's affect decay. Does 1 needle count as a move move of decay? Does hitting with a fully charged needle decay more than 1 slot?

I hope that made sense :(

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I couldn't find this in the catalog thread, so I thought it was okay to ask here.

How do needle's affect decay. Does 1 needle count as a move move of decay? Does hitting with a fully charged needle decay more than 1 slot?

I hope that made sense :(
1 needle= +1 to decay
fully charged needles= +1 to decay

Good question though.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Is bair a reliable cross up? I've done it a couple times and I have seen it a couple times, where Sheik would bair somebody's shield from the front with the strong hitbox, and the opponent will end up sliding forward because of bair's weird shield knockback, and Sheik will end up behind them. So if the opponent shield grabs, they will completely whiff and Sheik has a free punish.
Example@0:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKq7ncWSEg
Is this reliable and if you know of this already and have used it before, how was your success with it?

Renki

Smash Journeyman
<3 taught me this very early when I first started playing competitive brawl with Sheik. I've had a fair amount of success with it, but not enough to warrant using it extensively. Truthfully, it's like a one or two trick pony, then your opponent realizes what it actually does and reacts according.

As Sheik, I'm scared jumping into someone's face half the time anyways, lol. I guess you could do the bair crossover, then turn around and jab to cover an attack from an opponent?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Is bair a reliable cross up? I've done it a couple times and I have seen it a couple times, where Sheik would bair somebody's shield from the front with the strong hitbox, and the opponent will end up sliding forward because of bair's weird shield knockback, and Sheik will end up behind them. So if the opponent shield grabs, they will completely whiff and Sheik has a free punish.
Example@0:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKq7ncWSEg
Is this reliable and if you know of this already and have used it before, how was your success with it?
yeah most people don't really expect it. when they start to you have to look out for OOS options like marth and MK's reverse upB bowser and Dk's upB ect.

But like renki mentioned bair-> jab works great on sheild to punish sheild drop options. (think olimar except on all of the cast) it is a vital mix up for sheik IMO.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I can see why the bair crossup is a good mixup for Sheik, landing behind the opponent when attacking from the front is just too good. Then again, against most characters it would be too dangerous to actually do a frontal assualt. If you do this against the likes of Marth/MK/Bowser etc do you have enough time to shield their move or not? Also does weak bair work or does it have to be strong bair?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
it has to be strong bair weak bair does the same thing but it generally doesn't have the same about of sheild slide they'll move forward but no where near enough.

The OOS people they should always be able to hit you. since Bair has I believe more than 6 frames of landing lag.... you can aways bait by not attacking at all.thats where mix ups come in.

saviorslegacy

he meant that in a joking way. Keep it gangsta son, keep it gangsta.
I know this, but I still hate it. Everytime I hear the term it feels like there is a little fire being inside that just got lit. I hate gansters with a passion.

I still don't understand why the term is used so much. Owell, at least mainly black people use it (or ateast that is it is around here).
ps I there are not many blacks here.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
On a more gameplay related note, I've noticed that Sheik has some very nice frame traps.
@low %'s SH uair after d-throw is great against characters with low aerial mobility, large hurtboxes or slow dairs. I've had pretty good success against characters like Marth, Bowser and G&W. But against Wario, I've only had limited success because his amazing aerial mobility usually lets him air dodge away from the uair and the follow up. Does this tactic work well against FF'ers and especially MK? I only have limited character exp because of no wifi and those are the characters my friends play. Also DI seems to heavily affect whether I should uair as a follow up to dthrow.

The other two frame traps I have been wondering about are situational. After ftilt locking, until high% (still below 100%) I FH uair them. I experiment using vanish right after the uair. So far, I've noticed that it punishes most characters on their momentum cancel aerial, and if they air dodge you can vanish down and land before they do. Also uair invincibility goes through their attacking option if they did it out of delayed (usually confused) reaction. The only times I've been punished is if my opponent read me and did an asap dair, but that's the only option that seems to punish and if they decide to dair, that opens up my option for a second jump uair. If people have done this frame trap before please comment on how well it works on specific characters as I have limited character exp (stated before) and also try it out if you never have.

Last frame trap, edge needle canceling. This is something that I have not actually implemented or used consciously. However, the other day I attempted to needle boost cancel and gimp my opponent, but I accidentally edge cancelled my needles. However, I was able to get out 2-3 needles before the animation cancelled and I was free to hit my opponent who was in hitstun. Actually I accidentally did another needle, but that's besides the point. Against characters who at one point or another will go level with the stage, this seems to be a great option that will force them to air dodge (which we can easily punish), take the hits which we may or may not be able to follow up on, or recover high. I am mainly interested in whether or not we can follow up if they take the hits, and I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this before. Like I said, this is something that I have theorycrafted after an accidental fluke but it seems to be a good option. Comments?

That was a long post, but if there are any other good frame traps that Sheik has, please mention them in your posts.

saviorslegacy

I also do the D-Throw> Uair againt multi hit Dairs like Fox's drill, Mario's tornado or Peach's Dair. Reason being, you just eat the first hit and they end up taking more damage than you.

I love f-tilt> Uair. I have never tried mixing Vanish into it though.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrtM_e89Nc
I am trying to do it on command. The timing is hard because you have to hit the b button twice. You either don't go off or you needle glide.
The easiest way to do it is to waist a fully charged handful of needles.

Top Bottom