• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.

Hi and welcome to the Sheik Boards!!!
I hope that you enjoy your time here and they you become a better Sheik.

The purpose of this thread is so that you can ask questions about Sheik and so that we can answer them.
So please ask anything in here instead of making a new thread.

[FAQ]

Q: How do I choose as Sheik?

A; There is no hidden agenda as to unlocking Sheik; she is simply an alternate character to Zelda (much like Samus & Zero Suit Samus) Normally you would have to press Down-B to turn into Sheik from Zelda & vice-versa, but unlike in Melee there is an easier option to start off as Sheik at the beginning of the match by simply clicking on her AVATAR on the character select screen. Make sure the character name reads as Sheik.

Q: How do I perform the DACUS?

A; There are multiple methods as to accomplish this move. One is the claw; or changing the control settings of your buttons to better suit quicker movement. You can also read here and watch the video link in that thread for a great tutorial.

Q: I can't keep Ftilt-Lock going, what am I doing wrong?

A; Do not just button mash A but instead try to get a liquid motion going or the time you're approaching opponents could be affecting it. Try This thread that shows appropriate %'s to try a Ftilt-Lock on different characters.

Q: Where do I talk about Zelda?

A; Specific conversations and related subjects solely to Zelda should be posted in the Zelda character forum
but if it correlates to Sheik in some way feel free to post here.

Q: Is Sheik a male or female?

A; Sheik is female.
Gimpyfish62 said:
Anyone who makes a topic or posts anything in regards to sheik's gender apart from this single post in these forums is getting a nice fatty warning.

A thread on the subject may end up giving you a temp ban.

Have a nice day.
Q: How do I play as Sheik

A; There is many different ways to use her.
Mostly space with Bair, f-tilt lock, pressure with Needle's and KO with USmash.
If you want to learn things that you can perform as Sheik then watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruOdTdBCTno

Watch some of the video's in here to get a better understanding of Sheik:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218085

[RULES]

• Please Quote the question(s) you are answering.
  • Do not ask any thing that has been answered in the [FAQ]
  • Look around the forums first because your question might already be possibly answered.
  • Do not ask to have your Sheik Game critiqued or Videos rated here.
  • No question is to 'nooby' but also respect others while answering.
  • No flaming of any kind. The idea is to encourage others not to make them feel like an idiot.
[References]
Need a guide? Perhaps some general Sheik criteria or you can't think of a good Counter Pick level. Look no further.

Project: Know it All-
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248288
by: East
A very advance guide to Sheik. Everyone including pro's should read it.

Sheik Boards Catalog- http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249772
by: saviorslegacy
Look in here and you should find the answer to most of your questions and beef up your Sheiks game a bit!

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
If you want this to be successful, I'd recommend specifying what you can ask in this thread e.g. no general chat not pertaining to Shiek, no Rate My Shiek posts etc.

Also you should compile in the first post a list of commonly asked questions or just staple basics e.g. How to be Shiek at the start, how to DACUS, what's a tilt lock and how it works etc.

Most importantly, don't request a sticky because then no one pays attention to the thread, if it's serving its purpose it should stay well bumped anyway (sounds stupid but it's true).

demodemo

Smash Ace
format the first post to make it more pretty

with like a Q : HOW DO U START AS SHEIK and like an A: YOU DON'T KNOW MOTHER ****ER?!?! GET THE **** OUT

something like that, idk

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Here's a question for you since no one asked any yet.

How do you fight a wario? I know about the grab release > tipper up smash. The thing I have trouble with is gimping his recovery, and all his arials. Especially his nair and dair. The neutral B is annoying because physical attacks will be countered, and he can suicide kill with it. He can also get out of the ftilt lock pretty easily.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Here's a question for you since no one asked any yet.

How do you fight a wario? I know about the grab release > tipper up smash. The thing I have trouble with is gimping his recovery, and all his arials. Especially his nair and dair. The neutral B is annoying because physical attacks will be countered, and he can suicide kill with it. He can also get out of the ftilt lock pretty easily.
Best method: Down B. His recovery is spiked VERY easily.

Needles stunt his recoveries well, and iirc he can't get passed a chainlock edgeguard.

U-smash doesn't work so great. Try F-smash and D-smash. F tilt is good for following up with other attacks. I have not tested it yet but I think on some characters a f-air to U-smash is a guaranteed lock.

n-air, b-air and f-air are good offstage against wario. He can do little to get around them. Basically your best bet is to rack up the damage, get him far offstage and edge-guard. One b-air for a motorcycle recovery, tether invincibilty frames for the upB.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
what is a good Control set up to keep in check and be able to perform all of Sheik's moves well and precise, like what to C-stick and what now? As for DACUS I've been getting it down with Claw lately even though I did find the Z button to work out smoothly; I might need a new game cube controller.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Dang, that is actually exactly what I had mine set too. Perhaps I'll return to that and keep at it, it really throws off my grabbing though but I'll keep at it.

It also goes well with Zelda's move sets too I'm guessing right?

demodemo

Smash Ace
use l for airdodges shields and stuff, and set r as attack

trigger is a bit unresponsive to dacus, so it may take some getting used to but thats how i do it

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I'll mess around with them for a while, seeing as I got a lot of free time.

Another question is though the port system; which slot is a good port for Sheik then?

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
I'll mess around with them for a while, seeing as I got a lot of free time.

Another question is though the port system; which slot is a good port for Sheik then?
Well you can't really go wrong with the 4th port. It might not really benefit you at all, but it takes away from potential Snakes, TLs, Links.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I use default settings.

The only buttons I would consider changing are the duplicates. Personally: Y and L.

DACUS is just as simple using the claw as using L or Z or what have you. That's the only move that may need controller tweaking. If you're having trouble with this roll from forward to up slower. That's the ONLY thing that would cause problems, provided you don't bash the c-stick and hit A accidently.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
@FrozenFire13: alright; cool I'll try port 4, Thanks.

The only thing I've become comfortable with outside of default is tap jump off. But more then likely it is my Joystick control, but last night I did 8/10 DACUS with claw, so I'm thinking that is the method I have to stick to.
The only thing that I take in to account is that the movement of my awkward hand placement could be caught out of the peripheral vision of who ever I'm playing and they could be ready for the DACUS. It is a possibility :p

You appear to be new so I'm assuming you're not accounting for the theoretical chain untouchability. In which case no, no way in hell. It's IMO 55:45 Shiek's advantage.
Yup I'm new. But from what I've seen in other matches, Sheik shouldn't have a problem with Wario too much. That is also saying there are the moments you can Down-B. But, no, totally I'm like pretty "noob"ish when it comes to frames and all that other jazz or ratio wins.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wario's strength is air camping. Sheik's strength in the particular matchup is ground camping. When Wario eventually has to touch the ground, Sheik has charged needles and grab release tipper usmash. (I'd spam GR tipper usmash even if it's stale. It's just so good.) Grab release ftilt works as well. Wario's close range options on the ground lose to Sheik's, and as long as Sheik runs away from Wario when he is jumping around trying to space in the air, Sheik can have the advantage whenever they ARE in range to hit each other.

Tips:
- Rolling around + Needles = Eliminates Wario's ground spacing game, forcing him to the air
- Run away when he's in the air (Watch the aggressive dairs)
- Fair/Nair/Bair him off the bike
- If he whiffs a Bite, don't risk approaching him and just throw charged needles
- As I say in all matchups, keep needles charged as much as possible

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

I have a question about Shiek which is admittedly NOT in your favor to answer, but I'm looking for a little charity, here. Just to butter you up, I'll admit that I think Shiek is D*MN cool in Brawl, and some of the tactics Shiek mains are using today I think are incredibly inventive and exciting.

I'm a competitive Ganon main, and I don't counterpick for any match-up, even Shiek. I know, it's kind of self-depreciating. Anyway, I've recently made a thread in the Ganon boards where we're reanalyzing all the specific issues which hold Ganon back. Some of them are character specific, so of course Shiek's FTilt lock was one of the first issues I posted. I'm looking for a little information, straight from the source, because the information I'm getting from Ganon mains is varied, and I need corroboration.

These questions all assume that the Shiek is FTilt locking Ganon "perfectly".

1. What are the optimal percentages for you to look to FTilt lock someone (specifically a heavy, like Ganon)

2. What is the earliest Ganon can escape from a perfect FTilt lock, barring Shiek input error?

3. What is the best DI and SDI for one to use to get out of the FTilt lock?

Like I said, these questions are not favorable for you to answer, and there's a good chance that you don't know the specific answers to them. However, I figured that the Shiek boards have done more testing of FTilt lock than most Ganon's have been exposed to, and in the spirit of sharing, I hope you might oblige me. :lick:

The thread I referred to earlier is here: Ganon iz a MYTHBUSTA: Reanalyzing Ganon's Shortcomings. Feel free to stop by and give input.

<3 DAD

Flamingo

Smash Lord
If you want this to be successful, I'd recommend specifying what you can ask in this thread e.g. no general chat not pertaining to Shiek, no Rate My Shiek posts etc.

Also you should compile in the first post a list of commonly asked questions or just staple basics e.g. How to be Shiek at the start, how to DACUS, what's a tilt lock and how it works etc.

Most importantly, don't request a sticky because then no one pays attention to the thread, if it's serving its purpose it should stay well bumped anyway (sounds stupid but it's true).
I love how someone has to try to specify what will make a thread work or not... Just let it happen man. I think it has chance for success as long as SilverOp doesn't ask anymore dumb questions... xD

Ummmm. My question-> anyone have success with the Sheik v Olimar matchup?

Btw, I'm Flamingo. And yes, I have been banned before.. (Stupid Pool Room) xD. I likes flamingos ALOT. I likes Escape The Fate ALOT. And iGimp. And have pretty decent success with my Sheik, so if anyone has any questions concerning Sheik's SH game or gimping game, I think I might be able to handle some q's concerning those topics if that's alright with everybody.

Hey guys,

I have a question about Shiek which is admittedly NOT in your favor to answer, but I'm looking for a little charity, here. Just to butter you up, I'll admit that I think Shiek is D*MN cool in Brawl, and some of the tactics Shiek mains are using today I think are incredibly inventive and exciting.

I'm a competitive Ganon main, and I don't counterpick for any match-up, even Shiek. I know, it's kind of self-depreciating. Anyway, I've recently made a thread in the Ganon boards where we're reanalyzing all the specific issues which hold Ganon back. Some of them are character specific, so of course Shiek's FTilt lock was one of the first issues I posted. I'm looking for a little information, straight from the source, because the information I'm getting from Ganon mains is varied, and I need corroboration.

These questions all assume that the Shiek is FTilt locking Ganon "perfectly".

1. What are the optimal percentages for you to look to FTilt lock someone (specifically a heavy, like Ganon)

2. What is the earliest Ganon can escape from a perfect FTilt lock, barring Shiek input error?

3. What is the best DI and SDI for one to use to get out of the FTilt lock?

The thread I referred to earlier is here: Ganon iz a MYTHBUSTA: Reanalyzing Ganon's Shortcomings. Feel free to stop by and give input.

<3 DAD
To Hyperstation:

Sheiks should never have an ftilt input error, it's extremely easy. The beat should be burned into our muscle-memories by now.

1. Idk. Usually 15-20 - 50-80 (character dependant) (With DI) On you, probably 60? Idk, don't play many Ganons.

2. You won't 'escape' per-say. You can DI so that we are forced to turn around to keep tilting or finish our ftilt combo... -> nair, utilt, possibly Usmash vs Ganon...

3. You DI towards Sheik. Maybe SDI works better, idk, don't do Sheik mirrors. But it would still be towards Sheik. Also, Characters with invincibility on the first few frames of input willbe able to use that move to escape. Ex. Marth's Dolphin Slash. I don't think Ganon has anything like that though.

PS. Ehh it's not that unfavorable for us to answer... 1. Our boards are littered with his information, you could have searched and found this data for every character. 2. You have our Chain to deal with xD.

Edit: I'm dandy at the Vanish killing too :D

stealth3654

Smash Lord
That's another question I wanted to ask. How do you use the chain to keep characters away, such as ganondorf and GaW? Whenever I use the chain, either the hit box doesn't come out in time, or the chain moves closer towards me causing the range to decrease. This allows them to get to me. Also, how are you suppose to use the chain off the ledge against a vertical recovering falco/fox? It seems the hit box doesn't come out in time and they reach the ledge. then the jump off and side B. So, how do you use the chain?

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I'm not sure I ever introduced myself..... anyways, hi. I'm LotM, and I main Lucario. Sheik is a close second, though, and I use here just as much, if not more, than Lucario.

I find that short-hopping the chain will give you a few licks and frustrate them. Retract it as soon as they're over the failed approach so you don't get punished by a projectile.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
That's another question I wanted to ask. How do you use the chain to keep characters away, such as ganondorf and GaW? Whenever I use the chain, either the hit box doesn't come out in time, or the chain moves closer towards me causing the range to decrease. This allows them to get to me. Also, how are you suppose to use the chain off the ledge against a vertical recovering falco/fox? It seems the hit box doesn't come out in time and they reach the ledge. then the jump off and side B. So, how do you use the chain?
You mean by tethering? Or by letting it hit falco/fox by dangling it over the edge?

1. Just tether, and use your invincibility frames when they are about to hit you (press A or Up) then they fall to heir demise.

2. Sorry, this isn't melee bro. :( However you can dangle it over the edge and pretty much insta-rack like 50+ damage to characters that won't sweetspot the ledge... ie. Jigglypuff, Sonic, Yoshi (I think Sonic and Yoshi... I know Jiggles for sure.) This works if they are vertically recovering.

demodemo

Smash Ace
guys i thought of a cool new advanced tech where we use the chain, and see how the opponent reacts and then do the chain again, until they are at a reasonable percent for KO

i call it, "chain chaining"

+1 metagames

hahah

hyperstation

Smash Lord
To Hyperstation:

Sheiks should never have an ftilt input error, it's extremely easy. The beat should be burned into our muscle-memories by now.

1. Idk. Usually 15-20 - 50-80 (character dependant) (With DI) On you, probably 60? Idk, don't play many Ganons.

2. You won't 'escape' per-say. You can DI so that we are forced to turn around to keep tilting or finish our ftilt combo... -> nair, utilt, possibly Usmash vs Ganon...

3. You DI towards Sheik. Maybe SDI works better, idk, don't do Sheik mirrors. But it would still be towards Sheik. Also, Characters with invincibility on the first few frames of input willbe able to use that move to escape. Ex. Marth's Dolphin Slash. I don't think Ganon has anything like that though.

PS. Ehh it's not that unfavorable for us to answer... 1. Our boards are littered with his information, you could have searched and found this data for every character. 2. You have our Chain to deal with xD.
:lick:

Much obliged, friend. I should let you know that we're discussing chain camping too and how to rise up and overcome, but rather than fill your Q&A Thread with more Ganon Specific questions, I'll take your advice and just find some information in other threads. Thanks again.

<3 DAD

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for when others CP against us, is there any specific levels that Sheik does poorly on? or leave her with a disadvantage. And to keep along that route, what is the reason as to why certain characters give her a hard time. Not which ones singularly, but the things that give them an advantage over Sheik.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Sheik has problems with characters that can spam a LOT of projectiles, like Pit's arrows. She has no reflector, so her only option is to dodge and approach or tether and wait it out, which is not a good idea.

Pit is one character I have trouble with, but that's because I haven't fought him enough.

So, since her weakness is projectiles, she wouldn't fair too well on flat close stages like FD.

Some characters have projectiles that are easily avoidable, such as Wolf, Falco, Fox, Tink, Link, Samus, Snake, etc...

I don't know if you can rely on my answers since when I have trouble I just change to Zelda. I am yet to meet a character I struggle with as both.

In conclusion: No real disadvantages in terms of stages. Places like Temple make it hard to use Needlestorm, but you can manage fine if you try. Honestly, the more platforms the better, and the lower the platforms, even better.

legion598

Smash Ace
Dacus

ya so DACUS eats the crap out of shields im sure every1 knows this but does anyone use it for that purpose? Also i was wondering if it just shield pokes a low shield or if it breaks it

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Sheik has problems with characters that can spam a LOT of projectiles, like Pit's arrows. She has no reflector, so her only option is to dodge and approach or tether and wait it out, which is not a good idea.

So, since her weakness is projectiles, she wouldn't fair too well on flat close stages like FD.

In conclusion: No real disadvantages in terms of stages. Places like Temple make it hard to use Needlestorm, but you can manage fine if you try. Honestly, the more platforms the better, and the lower the platforms, even better.
1. I don't like being forced to approach. :( I'll camp teh ledge :D jk well I guess sometimes..
2. I like to wall cling on FD... Those are my mindgames... lures people, iGimp.
3. Platforms are great. Temple isn't too practical in tourney play haha.

PS Thanks for sticky :) Love this thread!

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Pit is one character I have trouble with, but that's because I haven't fought him enough.

Some characters have projectiles that are easily avoidable, such as Wolf, Falco, Fox, Tink, Link, Samus, Snake, etc...

I don't know if you can rely on my answers since when I have trouble I just change to Zelda. I am yet to meet a character I struggle with as both.

Sheik has little trouble dealing with projectiles.....especially Pits. I have no clue what your talking about when you say that Pit has better projectiles than: Wolf, Falco, Fox, Tink, Link, Samus, Snake, etc.....all of those charcters are great at camping and some of them can even trap you and use projectiles as a semi-wall( Link, Tink, Samus).

If your having trouble dealing with Pit, you don't dash into a shield enough. His arrows are very easy to powershield. In fact, the only time I ever have trouble with them is when i'm offstage.

Top Bottom