• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Few moves in Sheik's moveset are safer, faster, or more effective than ftilt, which always leads into a guaranteed utilt/aerial when they have a bit of decay. It's not a hard move to land either, with the reach it has and Sheik's ability to play the opportunist. "Don't get ftilted" is about as feasible as not getting hit by any of Sheik's ground moves whatsoever save her dash attack or needles, and even those should be used with discretion.

What attack you use out of ftilts is dependent on where they wind up post-ftilt. You can easily Nair most targets out without issue while also getting more points of damage by using it, especially if another choice is staled. Sometimes, they wind up far enough in front of you that not even a Nair will reach them after ftilt, in which case you will *have* to use Fair simply to get that hit in. Utilt, while damaging and fast, is too inconsistent if the target isn't directly above Sheik's head, and it's punishable when the second hit misses.

Considering ftilt's great value as a medium for getting legitimate, undodgable combos worth that work all the way up to KO percents via Usmash finish (her strongest KO move by far), you'd be a fool not to play around it whenever possible. Having your decay completely reset by dying when they're at the prime damage for ftilt-Usmash to work is the obvious issue. Even against a target that can't be ftilt locked at all, such as Jiggs, the value of a single ftilt-ftilt-sender combo is around 20 damage each time.

Judo777

Smash Master
Few moves in Sheik's moveset are safer, faster, or more effective than ftilt, which always leads into a guaranteed utilt/aerial when they have a bit of decay. It's not a hard move to land either, with the reach it has and Sheik's ability to play the opportunist. "Don't get ftilted" is about as feasible as not getting hit by any of Sheik's ground moves whatsoever save her dash attack or needles, and even those should be used with discretion.

What attack you use out of ftilts is dependent on where they wind up post-ftilt. You can easily Nair most targets out without issue while also getting more points of damage by using it, especially if another choice is staled. Sometimes, they wind up far enough in front of you that not even a Nair will reach them after ftilt, in which case you will *have* to use Fair simply to get that hit in. Utilt, while damaging and fast, is too inconsistent if the target isn't directly above Sheik's head, and it's punishable when the second hit misses.

Considering ftilt's great value as a medium for getting legitimate, undodgable combos worth that work all the way up to KO percents via Usmash finish (her strongest KO move by far), you'd be a fool not to play around it whenever possible. Having your decay completely reset by dying when they're at the prime damage for ftilt-Usmash to work is the obvious issue. Even against a target that can't be ftilt locked at all, such as Jiggs, the value of a single ftilt-ftilt-sender combo is around 20 damage each time.
Dont get me wrong ur right ftilt is the number 1 move u want to use when u can unless u can kill them. If u have an option to ftilt you should always take it if u can unless u can kill them with something else. However u are way wrong in saying that ftilt is even close to safe or even safer than a few of her other options. Ftilt is very safe against people who arent familar with it and against people who dont know how to punish it might as well be safe on shield. But if they know what they are doing that can punish it. And jab, soft hit nair, bair, are all safer than ftilt i believe.

I want to take back me saying u are way wrong cause ur not way wrong just replace that with I disagree cause i dont think u deserve any disrespect u might take reading that.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
depending on ranges and stuff don't forget to concider jab as a punisher when ftilt isn't stalled enough. jab can true combo into Dsmash and even nair. I say this a lot.... but yeah its important. you can smash DI out of dsmash range though... dash nair can work at crazy high percents, beaware of characters with lessthan frame 4 aerials though..........

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
But if they know what they are doing that can punish it. And jab, soft hit nair, bair, are all safer than ftilt i believe.
The safety of jabs on shield are entirely dependent on mixing them up. Jab2 can easily be grabbed before the rapids come out in all cases. You can interrupt a shield grab attempt on jab1 by delaying jab2, but this isn't in your control to do this reliably as people aren't robots.

When I say "few moves" those include aerials, as they obviously have varying amounts of lag and range. Soft hit Nair isn't very safe on block though, while spaced Bairs for the most part are.

Spaced ftilts however, are extremely difficult to defeat except for fast grabs with range (DDD, Links), or by powershielding which can reverse the majority of attacks instantly anyway. Ftilt is IASA frame 22 (very short...), and hits on at least frame 5. It also has reduced hitlag modifier, meaning on shields that Sheik will continue with her animation first before the shielding target goes into shieldstun. Slight effect given the little damage ftilt does, but another factor in how there's really not much many opponents can do about spaced ftilts.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I can just spam spaced ftilt on sheilds and mix in jabs if I think they will try to do some type of OOS option and it works pretty well. you have to watch for upBs OOS and a few aerials OOS but over all yeah ftilt is crazy safe even on wiff if you opponent is idle it's hard to react fast enough to punish it.

spaced bair is very very attractive.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, I'm severely struggling figuring out the timing for Sheik's platform cancel. The input is just down as you're passing through the platform right? Any tips? I assume you can't do it with a short hop (looking at Smashville mainly, though I may try Lylat more in the future).

I'm curious as to if any Sheiks have taken advantage of this technique which would probably severely buffed because of her speed. I can get it easy with Ike and Marth, but for some reason it's hard to gauge when to do it because of how Sheik curls in the air...

Judo777

Smash Master
On a side note, I'm severely struggling figuring out the timing for Sheik's platform cancel. The input is just down as you're passing through the platform right? Any tips? I assume you can't do it with a short hop (looking at Smashville mainly, though I may try Lylat more in the future).

I'm curious as to if any Sheiks have taken advantage of this technique which would probably severely buffed because of her speed. I can get it easy with Ike and Marth, but for some reason it's hard to gauge when to do it because of how Sheik curls in the air...
I believe marths and ikes are a lil easier cause their windows are larger ( i know marths is for sure) Um i took time to sit down and learn it but its fairly hard cause sheiks jump is just so fast and her dair is mad unsafe. I tink u hit it right as her face crosses the plat but its hard to tell cause its so fast.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
You can actually platform cancel by holding down and doing any aerial (with c-stick) so even if you mess up, you can still have a fair/bair come out and cover for you instead of dairing into the platform. The only problem is timing the aerial, which for some reason is hard for sheik. I think the right timing is right before her feet cross over the platform, but the visual cue will obviously have to be earlier than that. Her head sounds about right.

It's technically possible to hold down and platform cancel with shield or even walking. But that's besides the point here.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the cancelling with bair/fair tip, that makes it a lot easier. But yeah, the timing is super strict but I think it's something I can master with a lot of practice.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
How fast do you have to input Shiek's Bdacus? I've done it less than 20 times, and i'm not on "R=Attack" button method.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Don't get confused by the name, Bdacus is side on the control stick, up c-stick x2. I had the same problem yesterday until I looked it up.

Unless there's some other way I don't know, you don't do the traditional motion.

Also, to answer the speed question, pretty gattdang fast (about 10 frames).

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I know that. I was asking how fast would you have to input the comnands? I always get a buffered Dash Attack whenever i try. I rarely get Bdacus with Shiek, but Falco, Snake, and Link's are very easy for me.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Since Sheik's BDacus is essentially her Dacus, just learn the timing for DACUS. Which for Sheik is IMO much easier to do with another button = Attack than trying to c-stick up twice

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've checked for information on the Naritake Step, and I just don't seem to get it.

I searched and found the copy-paste that East gave, suggesting "forward-forward-down/back," but I guess I don't understand the timing.

I also looked up True Pivoting (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162220), which appears to be very similar, but I can't get that, either.

Will someone explain to me how to do both of these, timing and all? This makes me feel stupid. :(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What ends up happening when you try to perform these?
Generally speaking, a dash attack (if I try to attack afterward), or my character takes longer to turn around than what I expect from it after watching videos.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perhaps separating it into two parts will help. (and it really is two separate techniques)

Think of it like a fox trot into a dash, which you're going to immediately interrupt by "dash dancing" once. Out of the single dash dancing you're going to attack.

You can practice the first half of this by doing the following:
1. fox trot, then dash again in the same direction as the fox trot ends.
2. right after you input the second dash, immediately turn around. Forcefully rest the control stick at a neutral position.

Practice the latter half of this by doing the following:
1. dash one direction
2. right after you input the dash, turn around and place the control stick at a neutral position.
3. jab. (or any input, but jab is probably the easiest)
It's one quick motion. It's going to look something like a stutter-stepped jab.

Then combine those two and you get this:
1. fox trot, then dash again in the same direction as the fox trot ends.
2. right after you input the second fox trot, immediately turn around. place the control stick at a neutral position after the turn-around input.
3. jab. (or any attack, but jab is probably the easiest)

Saying it's just "forward-forward-back-jab" or whatever is oversimplifying it by a long-shot.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Shiek Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Shiek fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Shiek abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Shiek's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I think ROB is at a slight advantage on this stage. While the stage is flying, the actual stage is pretty small. So Sheik will have an easier time weaving around ROB's projectiles and get close to him. When the stage lands, I believe ROB has the advantage because of his projectiles. Sheik won't have any more difficulty killing ROB on this stage, but I think ROB will have an easier time killing Sheik. The blast zones are smaller on certain parts of the stage and ROB can fair/bair/dair us while we are in the water. Other than that, I think this match-up is pretty even on this stage.

Sheik's chances of doing well: 4 (assuming 5 is average for both players).

On an off topic question: Do you, by any chance, work at GameStop?

sinstrife

Smash Rookie
Hello i am interested in maining Sheik and Possibly a touch of zelda just for flair. And i was wondering If anyone had tips or Perhaps a tutorial on some tactics and combos i should use? Also i have akype if anyone is interested in chatting it up with tips ? PM me if you wish. Thanks!

-Cheers-

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Both boards have been rather inactive.

Welp, hopefully you decide to stick with them. We always can use more Sheiks and Zeldas.

@sins: work on your fundamentals a lot. It would help me to know what your style is like so I can try to help ya.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
How many of you Sheiks explitly camp on purpose? Like running down the timer, needling approaches, and always running away.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
only in the IC match up. sheik isn't a good time out character IMO, things can change way too quickly for her because of the nature of her recovery and character over all a small mistake can cost you a stock while recovering or a ton of damage.

You have tools to reset situations, but you don't have tools to avoid them for long periods of time like jigglypuff, MK, or, pit, wario.

I play so that I keep the lead a force approaches so that they are in a way I perfer. but I don't ever play with the intent of avoiding conflict because that will more often than not put you into bad positions.

If spear pillar was a CP I'd time everyone out, even sonic, but that isn't the case.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yeah b reversing.

I run a direction and as I'm moving from left to right or vice versa I press B once the control stick in in the neutral position. you have to do it after the opening run animation though. You can pull needles during that animation.

You have like a 1 or 2 frame window to input the opposite direction after the needle pull. if you take too long you'll roll. if you are hitting the opposite direction to fast you chain or just turn around. takes like 5-10 minutes of practice to get it down really well.

after that just force yourself to do it in matches and it will become second nature.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
needle cancel turnaround B is also really useful for allowing you to access your fair or bair while in midair, giving you a little more leeway in options.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
B reversed needle cancel gives you more mobility too. instant momentum change.

B reversed pound is TOOOOO good, but I accidentally rollout sometimes... and die.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Is there ANYTHING that makes dacusing easier?
i would probably play her here and there in tournaments against characters besides just wario, (cus you can just GR himw/o much effort) if I didnt have to down smash them away and transform every time i wanted a kill...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You mean to perform or actually get a kill?

One thing I like to try is standing around a DACUS length away from the edge, and bait with needles since that usually forces a jump, I'll either get them occasionally at the very start of their ledge jump, or I'll wait for wherever they use their second jump, because after that it's usually a matter of time before they land. It's usually a reading thing, if you know you can punish w/ it from a distance, you can make the shot, unfortunately DACUS' use diminishes a looooooot when the said opponent has a lot of projectiles/camping control (TL/Falco). I also sometimes use it out of a fair/nair since those send on low angles and allow you to sometimes get the DACUS off. I sometimes get a DACUS off of a badly DI'd bthrow, but this is kinda rare. Then of course there's air release -> DACUS on the select few.

idk, the most important thing about getting it is experimenting w/ it over and over again in friendlies in certain scenarios. For example, I found a fun mixup out of bair/fair on the ground -> vanish, a lot of people rush in when you space it right so that by the time they perform a move/close in, you already have your invincibility frames from vanish on. It's not super reliable/foolproof, but I've gotten some kills/edgeguard setups from this looool.

Top Bottom