• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@ Lovage - I think Omni was talking about ledgedashing, not how to get onto the ledge from the stage

@ Omni - Press down, immediately (immediately) jump and airdodge on
For me it feels like a wavedash, but with a down motion before it

Important things
Jumping immediately
Being fast at letting go - let go too fast and you'll just do a ledge jump or something equally bad so you have to be sure to be fast off the ledge while keeping the timing of the inputs consistent - down before jump
If you're not fast at letting go you won't get good invincibility

Ledgedashing is something I just practiced over and over really

JPOBS

Smash Hero
leffen u kept spotdodging by accident on shielded downsmashs and i was so disappointed at all the free missed punishes. What were you trying to do thats was causing the spot dodges?

also, FC fair is insanely gay he kept jabbing ur DD baits unless u were super duper tight and perfect. dumb character.

agred with lovage tho, pal fox sucks lmaaao

voorhese

Smash Master
not if you do it fast, the time it saves you to press back instead of down is great because if you very lightly press back then you are going in a straight line right after to where u need to be (across the center of the stick) much faster imo. and easier to do. I have above 95% success rate i would say when it comes to ledgedashing.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Hmm, I prefer down as well. Might fool around some with back and see if I like it at all. Doubt that it matters though, my ledgedashes are fine.

LLDL

Smash Hero
What up guys, help me out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz5pA3_CnmE

I'm trying to learn fox, specifically to fight Marth. Games 2-4 I use fox.

Those of you who are proficient in the matchup. Although I'm doing okay here, what obvious things am I doing wrong that a top marth would capitalize on. (My side stepping on platforms instead of dropping was fault of the controller I'm using, it's not a habit so ignore that)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
something that's gotten more popular today is running shield drops, rather than just shield dropping

what you do is dash -> tap down (mid-dash to buffer the shield drop) -> shield, and it'll make you drop through the platform. this allows you to drop through a platform in the middle of a dash

i do it a few times here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T1ijVMrLKQ#t=4m22s

if you watch one of lovage's tech skill videos, you'll see him do it a lot there, also.
What?!?!?!?

For the longest time I thought this was done by the Shai dropping method (hold forward shield then rotate down to 45 degree for drop). I've been doing this wrong for so long asdfjkl.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I find it somewhat hilarious, when people say that leffen is bad, and that he just hypes himself up to be good, when he clearly does well against the best Peach in the world.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I find it somewhat hilarious, when people say that leffen is bad, and that he just hypes himself up to be good, when he clearly does well against the best Peach in the world.
I played Leffen at Apex, he's a lot of fun to play and tries ridiculous stuff in friendlies. He just has an abrasive posting style. Friendly enough in person though. Deez Internetz.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
What?!?!?!?

For the longest time I thought this was done by the Shai dropping method (hold forward shield then rotate down to 45 degree for drop). I've been doing this wrong for so long asdfjkl.
Either method works.

I use the shai dropping method too, but I'm hella inconsistent with it so I'm not the best source.

Someone should post how Jeapie does it lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
Shielding first is only going to slow you down. It's still easy because you will already be holding left or right, but you're inevitably going to waste frames going through the motion. It shouldn't be too hard to adjust though. I still angle my stick, I just do it before I shield. Whether you're pressing down or at 45 or anywhere in between is irrelevant as long as you hold it before pressing shield.

unknown522

Some guy
Cuz most bad players can't tell when someone is good

But yeah. I watched leffen's sets (and other tourney matches) with kirbykaze and riddlebox recently and more or less our thoughts on it:

- leffen did well
- jiggs is way too broken in doubles
- everything about armada is sex
- pal fox sucks
- pal marth and sheik suck
- android > aniolas

It was funny that falling u-air was a more reliable kill move than u-smash. Quite entertaining though

:phone:

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Shielding first is only going to slow you down. It's still easy because you will already be holding left or right, but you're inevitably going to waste frames going through the motion. It shouldn't be too hard to adjust though. I still angle my stick, I just do it before I shield. Whether you're pressing down or at 45 or anywhere in between is irrelevant as long as you hold it before pressing shield.
Yeah I definitely think this is the better method, I just never realized it could be done this way.

Can you also buffer shield drops with this method? IE as you get up from a tech hold the correct angle, press shield and immediately drop through?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I would honestly prefer PAL to NTSC, because of Fox (more importantly, though, Sheik's down throw). But I can deal.

kd-

Smash Lord
Looking for Fox advice, feel free to speak your mind here or pm me or whatever. I'm Chad, hi.
Recent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDW540rmKM
Old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS5saK8ZaiQ

I feel like my biggest flaws are tech skill (obvious) and my inability to find opportunities to shine. Other people have said that my defense isn't good, and I'm not sure how to correct it. I get hit and grabbed a lot. I'm also really bad at playing my opponent's transitions, i.e. I'll go on offense when they're on defense and they'll wavedash backwards and grab me and out space my approaches, or they'll switch to offense and I get hit/grabbed. Thanks in advance.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
@Ruby - I watched the first 2 and then you switched to Falco

I feel like you do some really unsafe things when it comes to attacking Nana or don't react well enough when you're trying to get free hits on her, maybe because you underestimate IC's ground speed or you aren't watching Popo

Also you get hit a lot by jab -> cheap stuff, buffer jumps or something (even though it's something I get hit by a lot too <_<)

You don't gimp Nana enough / effectively, go for more shinespikes and force him to edgeguard you with Popo
And don't forget that Nana is invincible for a long time duringthe up-b

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I think a lot of the **** was a combination of the following:

*Bad reaction on punishes
*Bad reaction vs Wobbles' jab stuff
*Underestimating ground speed
*Not being fully aware of all of ICs defensive options
*Running in to belay like a derp.

Plus, you know, Wobbles being a lot better than me. >:

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I'm having trouble against Marth. His grabs mess me up hard, and I'm unsure of the best way to avoid them and how to get out of his upthrows. I know you can shine out around 19% but i have a hard time doing so reliably. any advice?

Top Bottom