• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
I don't recommend Fox players trying to learn the dthrow techchase. That relies pretty heavily on my reaction speed in addition to just having lucky reads once in a while...
I looooove dthrow tech chase <33

Sometimes its really easy

Sometimes its not

:phone:
when people try to d-throw me it makes me not want to play. It's so bad.

With very few exceptions.

Did anyone see me beat jman then lose

What happened?

Did you SD while he was dieing or something?

vs chars with high priority aerial moves (doc luigi ICs) i usually up throw and maybe jump just to trick them then i up tilt them as they're falling on top of me w/ whatever aerial, up tilt will almost always win if u time it right
yes.

Also, Raynex, KK, Weon-x, and I went to a tourney in Pittsburg this weekend. We took the top 4 with 39 entrants, but Vanz didn't show up.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Chillin jumped off with a Fair while Jman was Firefoxing down pretty far at high % on Stadium so he basically could've just timed an Fsmash when Jman went over the stage for the win (I don't think he could've angled it to sweetspot because of Stadium)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
D-throw tech chase ***** Mr. Game & Watch.

It's also usable against Puff if she won't slide off the edge of the stage and you need the extra 4-6% for U-throw > Uair to kill her (grab attack can suffice but it risks them breaking out; not usually an issue because Puffs are typically lazy but it's worth noting).

Otherwise, generally shy away.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
unknown522 posting:

Chillin jumped off with a Fair while Jman was Firefoxing down pretty far at high % on Stadium so he basically could've just timed an Fsmash when Jman went over the stage for the win (I don't think he could've angled it to sweetspot because of Stadium)
that sucks. Reminds me of how I lost to eggm at RoM 3, except I did a n-air instead of f-air.

what tourny was that?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304441

Megabus was $6 round trip for me/bernard/camilo. david bought the day before so it was $24 round trip for him.

I'm gonna go to HOPE 3 if I can get housing from thursday - tuesday, so that I can Megabus for $10 round trip.

No zenith???

naw, had no ride and the bus would've been $200 round trip to NY (booking 4 months in advance), and then we'd have to find a ride from there.

If I were able to go, I wish I had either Jman, Eggm, or Irish Mafia's bracket.

Brookman

Smash Hero
to be fair, mafia had otg round one and otg is legit. except. . . otg didn't go to day 2 so .. . ;]

I don't know why they wouldn't allow the runner up one of the pools to fill otg's placing. *shrug*

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Oh uhh. Is there any way to never get shield poked by Peach's dsmash once it starts hitting your shield? Can you lightshield it or angle your shield once the dsmash starts hitting your shield? Do either of these things work?

Brookman

Smash Hero
you guys are definitely doing it wrong >_>

if you really can't get it to work try to buffer a full jump or short hop backwards with the c-stick.

you guys make me scratch my head.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Doing WHAT wrong? That's exactly what I'm asking. What should I try to do? Angle my shield, lightshield, or what?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
unknown522 posting:

that sucks. Reminds me of how I lost to eggm at RoM 3, except I did a n-air instead of f-air.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304441

Megabus was $6 round trip for me/bernard/camilo. david bought the day before so it was $24 round trip for him.

I'm gonna go to HOPE 3 if I can get housing from thursday - tuesday, so that I can Megabus for $10 round trip.

naw, had no ride and the bus would've been $200 round trip to NY (booking 4 months in advance), and then we'd have to find a ride from there.

If I were able to go, I wish I had either Jman, Eggm, or Irish Mafia's bracket.
Lol, I thought you just went there to style on noobs. =P

Brookman

Smash Hero
Doing WHAT wrong? That's exactly what I'm asking. What should I try to do? Angle my shield, lightshield, or what?
The best advice I can give you is to sit down with a friend, turn on 3 foxes and a peach and see what works for you. what range/density/angle etc.

chillindude829

Smash Master
Lol brookman, did u say ppl were shielding peachs dsmash wrong, then someone asked u how to do it right, and u said go turn on a peach and practice it?

Just makin sure cuz if so that's dumb as **** lol

There's clearly a reason he asked in the first place instead of just practicing it, he doesn't know what method to use

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Hey guys, if you watch PP vs armada you'll see the way he uses to get around peach's dsmash:

Shield DI away.

It's a bit counterintuitive in the sense that you might be afraid you're angling your shield *away* and it'll help you get shield poked, but the effect of shield DI'ing away is essentially so that you dodge all but the first 1-2 hits of the dsmash. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSMTKhdsDY&feature=related#t=1m38s

It's not the best example, because its not really *that* obvious that he shield DIs it, but if you watch their set carefully that exact scenario happens a lot... I just don't feel like watching all of WF and GFs just to find like 2-3 examples >_>

Niko45

Smash Master
Wow that's legit. I def have to keep that in mind. So like, is there varying range on peach's dsmash hits? Like are the first hits more ranged than the later hits or anything?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think your shield just shrinks to the point that with shield DI it just stops getting hit
Can you just hold away for this or do you need to try to input smash DI inputs?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
did you david and bernard play it out for real or just split?

i see bernard beat david twice, good ****, i know he was kinda disappointed at his play at the tourny on the 2nd of april
The tournament was awesome. There were a few flops on my end though.

In Winner's Finals I had a 2-1 lead on Unknown and flopped the set. I was pretty disappointed with myself. I don't typically drop leads like that.

Loser's Finals vs. KK was 3-1 for me, it was the most fun set of matches I played all day.

Grand Finals = sloppy. Unknown didn't even go Fox for the majority of the set. Again, I dropped leads, SDed a bunch, etc. But oh well, **** happens.

In other news, Unknown went exclusively Pichu / Young Link in Doubles GFs and we 3-0ed the opposing team.

you guys are definitely doing it wrong >_>
if you really can't get it to work try to buffer a full jump or short hop backwards with the c-stick.

you guys make me scratch my head.
You can't jump out of FC fair / low nair -> dsmash on shield, regardless of what you buffer. Its a true combo that traps you in place. You make me scratch my head.

Hey guys, if you watch PP vs armada you'll see the way he uses to get around peach's dsmash:

Shield DI away.

It's a bit counterintuitive in the sense that you might be afraid you're angling your shield *away* and it'll help you get shield poked, but the effect of shield DI'ing away is essentially so that you dodge all but the first 1-2 hits of the dsmash. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSMTKhdsDY&feature=related#t=1m38s

It's not the best example, because its not really *that* obvious that he shield DIs it, but if you watch their set carefully that exact scenario happens a lot... I just don't feel like watching all of WF and GFs just to find like 2-3 examples >_>
That's an amazing idea. Not protecting my feet against the dsmash would be new to me though. I'm with Jpobs in the "angle my shield down/forward" boat.

If Peach does an FC'ed aerial -> dsmash, she will be too close for this to work I think. Otherwise I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be shielding too much vs. her anyways. She starts alot of her pressure that way.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Wow Peache's Dsmash has 5 seprate hitboxes? ouch :(
I wouldn't shield DI down because if I do get shield poked I'm eating some %
Don't think about shielding DIing in>shilegrab I've tested it...lol.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The tournament was awesome. There were a few flops on my end though.

In Winner's Finals I had a 2-1 lead on Unknown and flopped the set. I was pretty disappointed with myself. I don't typically drop leads like that.

Loser's Finals vs. KK was 3-1 for me, it was the most fun set of matches I played all day.

Grand Finals = sloppy. Unknown didn't even go Fox for the majority of the set. Again, I dropped leads, SDed a bunch, etc. But oh well, **** happens.
word, nothing to do but learn from it.

In other news, Unknown went exclusively Pichu / Young Link in Doubles GFs and we 3-0ed the opposing team.
lol, you guys could never try that ish vs me and kurtis.

come at me bro :cool:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I don't recommend Fox players trying to learn the dthrow techchase. That relies pretty heavily on my reaction speed in addition to just having lucky reads once in a while...
I recommend it.:)

And I recommend shielding downwards to cover my feet during peaches dsmash.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Fox can shield a full dsmash and then dair->shine or wd->shine and usmash/grab after that.

yeah i have a pretty good success rate at shielding dsmash, i don't get poked that much. but i can't really say why - if i'm going something correctly it's one of those subconscious things you kinda just pick up over years of playing vs. peach. i'll try to think about it next time i play and see if i'm doing something right like angling my shield down, or shield DI'ing away so only the outer part of dsmash hits me (maybe that helps.)

edit: maybe i just shield less vs. peach so my shield's full more often? lol idk, but i don't think i get poked that much

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i'm with you lovage, i'm not really sure exactly what I do that lets me shield the dsmash, but i'm pretty sure the shield has to be full strength in order to accomplish it.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Lol brookman, did u say ppl were shielding peachs dsmash wrong, then someone asked u how to do it right, and u said go turn on a peach and practice it?

Just makin sure cuz if so that's dumb as **** lol

There's clearly a reason he asked in the first place instead of just practicing it, he doesn't know what method to use
thank you chillindude m(_)m

And hmm druggedfox, I was noticing that too - I went and watched that set this morning haha. I guess an added benefit of shield DI'ing away is that, even if you get shield poked, you should be DI'ing in a direction such that the dsmash won't send you flying too far.

I definitely feel like there are times though, that if Peach is too close to you when the dsmash starts to hit (like if she is right on top of you) then you're not going to be able to go far enough with shield DI such that you escape the range of the dsmash before you get shield poked.

Like, in the example you linked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSMTKhdsDY&feature=related#t=1m38s) Peepee is far enough away that only one hit of the dsmash even connects with his shield. If Armada was like RIGHT behind him then I don't think he could've gotten out of the range of the dsmash shield DI like that.

one thing I DID somehow develop a reflex for, is CC'ing (aka DI'ing "badly") one hit of the dsmash to manipulate it into sending you the way you want it to send you. The weird thing is I don't remember ever deciding it was a good idea, until I was playing a Peach and he pointed out that I was really good at it. Somehow I just started doing it subconsciously and it's pretty useful lol.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's like how I subconsciously ground tech dash attacks and Winston tells me it's really cheap (when I was playing Falco vs his Fox I would get a free shine off dash attacks haha)

Top Bottom